• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/17 - 3/23

Jammy

Banned
donny2112 said:
Holidays. It doesn't matter, though. The DS is saturated in Japan.

Which holiday?

DS is getting near saturation, but Nintendo can do so much more to make this baby still do 100,000-plus a week. Roll out the new colors, a price drop, perhaps the long overdue Player's Choice line, and last and certainly not least MORE GAMES PERIOD.

Seriously, Nintendo support for this handheld has dropped significantly. The DS can do so much more for them, but I think they're just content on making as much profit as they can from the system and just letting it ride to the best-selling-system mark.

Jammy

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Is the PS3's shaming on these charts as bad as the Gamecube's was?

I believe GCN was just as bad, if not slightly worse, but I don't think its competition was doing well over 60,000 at this time of the year in comparison, so things might look worse now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jammy said:
Which holiday?

Vernal equinox.

DS is getting near saturation, but Nintendo can do so much more to make this baby still do 100,000-plus a week. Roll out the new colors, a price drop, perhaps the long overdue Player's Choice line, and last and certainly not least MORE GAMES PERIOD.

uh more games are not going to drive ds hardware at this point. It's like suggesting that more PS3 games will drive PS2 hardware. The vast majority of anyone who would buy a DS for <x game> has at least a dozen <x games> in the current library. After a certain point a console just sells on momentum.

A price drop would increase sales. New colours would spike but not increase sales.

Seriously, Nintendo support for this handheld has dropped significantly. The DS can do so much more for them, but I think they're just content on making as much profit as they can from the system and just letting it ride to the best-selling-system mark.

I do think that Nintendo's support is dropping, but their first half 2008 support is pretty much exactly equal to their first half 2007 support so I don't know why you'd say it "has dropped significantly".

For reference:
Nintendo DS 2007 January 1 - March 23
Wario the Seven
Hotel Dusk
Picross DS
Jet Impulse
Yoshi's Island DS (US released first)

Nintendo DS 2008 January 1 - March 23
Sonic and Mario at the Olympics
Soma Bringer
Beautiful Character Writing
Pokemon Ranger 2

4 games versus 5 games, and in terms of sales they interleave pretty well.

If you add in the rest of March and April, you get:
2007 - Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 (US released first), Clubhouse Games+ (US released first), Panel de Pon DS
2008 - We Are Fossil Holders

Titles after that period for 2008:
Crosswords DS (E3 2007), Eternal Chronicle (Nintendo World 2007), Fire Emblem DS (Nintendo World 2007), Kirby Superstar Deluxe (Nintendo World 2007), Wander Donkey (Feb 21, 2007)--announcement dates in brackets. So, basically Nintendo's summer should be covered with pre-existing titles and then by the fall we should see new announcements.

In the mean time, you can see in my post history that out of 34 internal and frequent external dev teams for Nintendo, 26 of them do not have publicly known in-progress projects for Nintendo. Interesting, hey?

Odysseus

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
In the mean time, you can see in my post history that out of 34 internal and frequent external dev teams for Nintendo, 26 of them do not have publicly known in-progress projects for Nintendo. Interesting, hey?

they, too, have moved to ps3.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Odysseus said:
they, too, have moved to ps3.

Ever since the tide turned back in November, Japanese developers have been running headlong away from the Wii. I heard Nintendo's only keeping afloat thanks to its profitable Hanafuda card division.

Osuwari

[crazyness]
i bet those 26 teams have combined to bring us a new 2D Metroid for DS. it will be so big that only DQ9 will stand up to it in overall impact.
[/crazyness]

the DS got the biggest bump this week. interesting.
i wonder how big the PSP bump will be on next week's numbers (or if there's a bump at all)

Jammy said:
Which holiday?

Ninty said it themselves. The whole company is gearing up thier support for the Wii and forsake the DS on its own.

justchris

Stumpokapow said:
uh more games are not going to drive ds hardware at this point. It's like suggesting that more PS3 games will drive PS2 hardware. The vast majority of anyone who would buy a DS for <x game> has at least a dozen <x games> in the current library. After a certain point a console just sells on momentum.

A price drop would increase sales. New colours would spike but not increase sales.

I disagree. The DS is all about new experiences and new markets. The DS may be saturated at it's current pricepoint with it's current market, but I'm sure Nintendo is working on some games to even further expand the market. It'll have to be something very different from what they've already done, a new training game isn't going to be the key. Whether or not they can still further expand the DS' target market is not guaranteed, but it is possible.

Or they could just drop the price, I guess.

botticus

titiklabingapat said:
Ninty said it themselves. The whole company is gearing up thier support for the Wii and forsake the DS on its own.
Let's not exaggerate:
king zell said:
It was just announced this morning that Nintendo has started to add more people to their Wii dev teams. On the other side of things, they are taking people away from the DS side of development.
If you had one platform that had dominated the competition for years and had a flood of high-quality software, and a platform that was still relatively young and finding its place in the market, which one would you focus more support on?

Odysseus

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Ever since the tide turned back in November, Japanese developers have been running headlong away from the Wii. I heard Nintendo's only keeping afloat thanks to its profitable Hanafuda card division.

won't be much longer now. tonight, darkness. tomorrow, behold, a new day.

believe

Culex

Banned
Apparently, not even software can save the PS3 at this point. I'll be amazed if the hardware breaks 50k for the release of MGS4, too.

Shouldn't Sony be worried at this point? Or is there some unknown optimism we aren't hearing about?

Culex said:
Shouldn't Sony be worried at this point? Or is there some unknown optimism we aren't hearing about?

I think they've been worried, but what can they do at this point? They've had enough solid software out and that's not doing any good, they dropped the price (if I remember correctly, once in Japan, despite it already starting at a lower price than in the U.S.), and they released a different color (the white 40GB, right?). If I were them, I'd be stumped.

Jonnyram

Anecdotal evidence time: MH2Gp was sold out at my local gaming store around 6pm yesterday, and it's a massive store. The students visiting late without a preorder were pretty pissed off. I think shipments were a lot smaller than the last game, though, largely because it's more of an upgrade than a proper sequel.

Kujo

I think a lot of people in Japan are waiting for a slimmer PS3. Sony need to work on getting one out by next year at the latest, even if the reduction isn't that big. We've seen the reduction internally for the 40GB, so they can't be too far off now.

Mojo said:
I think a lot of people in Japan are waiting for a slimmer PS3. Sony need to work on getting one out by next year at the latest, even if the reduction isn't that big. We've seen the reduction internally for the 40GB, so they can't be too far off now.
Well, seeing how the PSP got a second life with the redesign, I bet Sony is preparing the PS3Slim right now!

(it won't help though)

donny2112

Jammy said:
Which holiday?

Easter, of course.

Jammy said:
DS is getting near saturation,

slap_forehead.jpg

justchris said:
The DS may be saturated at it's current pricepoint with it's current market,

homer_doh.gif

Maybe posting more graphs will help.

Oh, noes! The PS2 was saturated its whole lifespan. D:

Mojo said:
I think a lot of people in Japan are waiting for a slimmer PS3.

KeepHopeAlive.gif

Minsc

Gold Member
Should be interesting to see how much the NDS gets beaten by in next week's thread. Looks like I was wrong about those Wii #s from the other week's thread too. Damn, definetly no downward trend for the Wii. :lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mojo said:

Er.. this cycle has been set. It's all Wii all the way out. Waiting for a slimmer PS3 sounds like a foolhardy thought. Of the 360, PS3 and Wii, the Wii just got over 80% of the market this past week. People should stop the cheerleading and the wondering about what Sony could do because I'm sure that Sony has stopped doing that themselves a while ago.

Mojo said:
Why is that?
Because every other PS3 saviour has failed to deliver. I think PS3 has settled pretty well in the 2nd place position, just like the gamecube. A new color or redesign wouldn't have turned the tide for that console either.

Then again...the PSP...but that's a handheld. Probably not really comparable.

ethelred

botticus said:
Let's not exaggerate:
If you had one platform that had dominated the competition for years and had a flood of high-quality software, and a platform that was still relatively young and finding its place in the market, which one would you focus more support on?

Why is it a zero sum game?

donny2112

Souldriver said:
Then again...the PSP...but that's a handheld.

It also hasn't turned the tide as a video game machine. The PS3 might get a sales boost from Blu-Ray adoption or other non-gaming functions, but I think the chances for a PSP-level turnaround based mainly on games are kind of low.

ethelred said:
Why is it a zero sum game?

It'd be quite nice if they just announced ports of all the FC/SFC Fire Emblem games and Super Metroid DS. It doesn't have to be all new IPs to keep the system roaring for years to come.

I just looked up some old gamecube numbers for Japan. At this time of year and at roughly similar points in the life of the console it was hitting 6-16k weekly... so the PS3 isn't quite there yet (on the lower side).

Kujo

Agent Icebeezy said:
Er.. this cycle has been set. It's all Wii all the way out.
Well of course Wii is going to always dominate, I never said otherwise, but I doubt a slim PS3 won't at least help it sell better over there. Ever since PSone I've always waited for the 2nd revision of Sony consoles/handhelds, I'm sure some other people feel the same.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Souldriver said:
Because every other PS3 saviour has failed to deliver. I think PS3 has settled pretty well in the 2nd place position, just like the gamecube. A new color or redesign wouldn't have turned the tide for that console either.

Then again...the PSP...but that's a handheld. Probably not really comparable.

Disregarding the fact that the PSP is a handheld there are a couple of other dynamics that make the PSP race very different than the gamecube.
1. The PSP is battling against 1 console, as opposed to 2 or 3
2. The PSP already passed gamecube numbers long before it got a revival of some kind.
3. The PSP continues to get exceptionally strong releases, particularly in Japan.

Even considering those three factors, it doesn't make sense to compare the PS3 to the PSP.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Disregarding the fact that the PSP is a handheld there are a couple of other dynamics that make the PSP race very different than the gamecube.
1. The PSP is battling against 1 console, as opposed to 2 or 3
2. The PSP already passed gamecube numbers long before it got a revival of some kind.
3. The PSP continues to get exceptionally strong releases, particularly in Japan.

Even considering those three factors, it doesn't make sense to compare the PS3 to the PSP.
So you're just nodding agreeingly with me. :p

(although, the PS3 also has only one competitor. The 360 is dead in Japan. But when you see this weeks Army of Two numbers... there are no certainties in life)

Souldriver said:
(although, the PS3 also has only one competitor. The 360 is dead in Japan. But when you see this weeks Army of Two numbers... there are no certainties in life)
No, it's dead. Unless MS want to buy out a few Japanese developers like Square. :lol

(and then it would still probably be dead)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Souldriver said:
So you're just nodding agreeingly with me. :p

I was agreeing with you on a conditional statement.

The fact that the PSP is a handheld is irrelevant because a console could easily do a "PSP revival" if it was in the PSP's situation.

I also merely pointed out the fallacy in the belief that doing a PS3-2000 would not produce the same results as the PSP-2000 release.

Tideas

Banned
Sony needs to drop the price on the PS3 in Japan by like another $50. And a slimmer more redesign can't come sooner.

I predict E3 announcement

ethelred

Epiphyte said:
Nintendo has a finite supply of development talent?

I remain unconvinced by this response. While there may be a theoretical limit, they're certainly nowhere near that line. Given the company's ability to expand its resources...

in any event, I emphatically reject the idea that resources applied to the Wii must come directly at the expense of resources being applied to the DS. I actually think it'd be possible to apply additional resources to both.

Man, PS3 keeps falling whilst Wii goes up. The gap continues to widen. It's more like the grand canyon. PS3 will get second place but it's moot.

Top Bottom