• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/17 - 3/23

test_account

XP-39C²
btutterrow said:
After having played Monster Hunter Freedom 2 SOLID for the past two weeks, I can say with certainty it has little to nothing in common with Pokemon. Do people even bother to play a game, watch a video, or read a FAQ before they bother to state things?

So in the Monster Hunter games, are there is no monster collecting in any form what-so-ever ? And i did do a quick Google search before i wrote it, but maybe it was too quick hehe. I also said "as far as i know" and "correct me if i'm wrong", so it was not a direct statement that this is how things are :p

test_account said:
So there is no monster collecting in any form what-so-ever? And i did do a quick Google search before i wrote it. I also said "as far as i know" and "correct me if i'm wrong", so it was not a direct statement that this is how things are :p
More about hunting them and killing them. Then making beautiful things from their carcasses!

JoeFenix

Error said:
mob_i_img02.gif

mob_i_img03.gif

mob_i_img05.gif

DS version confirmed!

:barf

Wait what are those screens from? Just a fan mockup?

Just curious.

test_account

XP-39C²
Segata Sanshiro said:
More about hunting them and killing them. Then making beautiful things from their carcasses!
Ok, so there are some sort of collection system of monsters then? Maybe far from Pokemon though, but still small simularities :)

test_account said:
Ok, so there are some sort of collection system of monsters then? Maybe far from Pokemon though, but still small simularities then :)
Ehnnnn.... not really, though. It's more about figuring out how to kill the monster and collecting cool schwag. Also, it's an action game with RPG elements, not a die-hard turn-based RPG.

test_account

XP-39C²
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehnnnn.... not really, though. It's more about figuring out how to kill the monster and collecting cool schwag. Also, it's an action game with RPG elements, not a die-hard turn-based RPG.

Ok, thanks for the info :) I always thought that Monster Hunter had something to do with collecting monsters in some form (even if it was just to keep a list of all the monsters you had killed etc.) so if you collect something from the different monsters i guess i was somewhat right atleast hehe. But the differences might be so far from eachother that it cant really be compared i guess.

I never claimed that it was a just like a Pokémon game just to underline that and i said it might be different game mechanics (action VS rpg elements) :)

test_account said:
Ok, thanks for the info :) I always thought that Monster Hunter had something to do with collecting monsters in some form (even if it was just to keep a list of all the monsters you had killed etc.) so if you collect something from the different monsters i guess i was somewhat right atleast hehe.

I never claimed that it was a just like a Pokémon game just to underline that and i said it might be different game mechanics (action VS rpg elements) :)
Yarp, about as much in common with Pokemon as actual hunting has in common with bug-collecting.

Mrbob

Sometimes being a big fish in a smaller pond helps out.

This is partly the reason MH sells so well on PSP. Due to extra competition on DS it probably wouldn't fare as well.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mrbob said:
Sometimes being a big fish in a smaller pond helps out.

This is partly the reason MH sells so well on PSP. Due to extra competition on DS it probably wouldn't fare as well.

This is a false conclusion based on faulty premises.

test_account

XP-39C²
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yarp, about as much in common with Pokemon as actual hunting has in common with bug-collecting.

I did a small edit just before i saw you posted that comment where i wrote that i guess the differences might be too far from eachother that it cant really be compared. Kinda like hunting and bug-collecting as you mentioned hehe.

Perdew

could someone in the know post a treasure sales comparison or link me? I'm shedding a thousand tears for bangaio.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
botticus said:
I checked briefly a few minutes ago, and other than the obvious answer of FIFA, I think it is in fact Sim City DS.

Good old EA business logic.

You open a profitable Japanese business. It deftly handles your IP and sells better than anything you've ever released in Japan, is critically well received, and ells decently in the US. It's a small studio that doesn't cost much and knows how to deliver results.

SO YOU CLOSE IT DOWN!

Suckers!

Stumpokapow said:
Good old EA business logic.

You open a profitable Japanese business. It deftly handles your IP and sells better than anything you've ever released in Japan, is critically well received, and ells decently in the US. It's a small studio that doesn't cost much and knows how to deliver results.

SO YOU CLOSE IT DOWN!

Suckers!

Uh, Stump, EA is generally good at looking after their own interests. Not like, say, Sega or Namco.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
Uh, Stump, EA is generally good at looking after their own interests. Not like, say, Sega or Namco.

Oh certainly they're miles better than Sega or Namco, but they're certainly far more self-destructive than most companies.

Bought and closed Origin
Bought and closed Bullfrog (fuck!)
Bought and closed Westwood
Bought and closed Kesmai
Bought and closed DICE (in the same day! YAHOO!)
Closed EA UK
Closed EA Chicago
Closed EA Tokyo
Closed EA Balitmore
Closed whatever designation they gave to the Virgin Interactive studio they bought and closed

Bought Criterion and screwed the pooch on RenderWare, and closed the Derby office of Criterion.

... and you will know them by the trail of their dead.

RJT

Stumpokapow said:
Oh certainly they're miles better than Sega or Namco, but they're certainly far more self-destructive than most companies.

Bought and closed Origin
Bought and closed Kesmai
Closed EA UK
Closed EA Chicago
Closed EA Tokyo
Closed EA Balitmore
Closed whatever designation they gave to the Virgin Interactive studio they bought and closed

Bought Criterion and screwed the pooch on RenderWare, and closed the Derby office of Criterion.

They can't possibly ruin Bioware. Can they? Weel, they can, but they won't, right? Please? Pleeeeeease... My favourite developer is ruined :(

I didn't even know they closed Westwood. It have great memories from their games (especially Red Alert)

Narag

Stumpokapow said:

Bought and closed Origin
Bought and closed Kesmai
Closed EA UK
Closed EA Chicago
Closed EA Tokyo
Closed EA Balitmore

Didn't one of their higher ups come out and basically say sorry for fucking up the old companiess and they'd rather it not happen again? Poor Bioware, stay strong.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
btutterrow said:
After having played Monster Hunter Freedom 2 SOLID for the past two weeks, I can say with certainty it has little to nothing in common with Pokemon. Do people even bother to play a game, watch a video, or read a FAQ before they bother to state things?
obviously not.

Vinci

Danish
Sell, Bangai-O! You crazy Japanese bastards, buy the damn games that are good. Hell, I'm fidgeting over its American release, I want it so bad.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Honestly I've never thought NG DS had a chance at going over 150k LTD* in Japan, 'cause to me this is the kind of game that just doesn't sell on DS, period.
One of the possibile explanations at Ninja Gaiden's major bombing could be that the kind of gamers whom are interested in a Ninja Gaiden DS game are also the same using R4 cards and shit the most, thus the game loosing even more sales.
Not a fact obviously, just my two cents.

*edit: Obviously this sales numbers are something else, even reaching 50k seems impossible right now, who could've predicted such a flop..

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Space A Cobra said:
Super Dodgeball actually charted. Awesome.

Yep!
Looking at top10, Wii Sports and Wii Play numbers it should sit at around 18k or so, which I think is already enough to start profiting!
Give us a release in NA/EU now, please.

donny2112

Famitsu Mar 10-16

1. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 70883 / NEW
2. PS3 Yakuza 3: Kenzan! 42451 / 220348
3. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 39590 / 1484973
4. WII Wii Fit 37859 / 1677004
5. PS2 Gundam Musou Special 28588 / 232088
6. PS2 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator: Shin Yoshimune 22954 / NEW
7. NDS Hayate no Gotoku! Ojousama Produce Daisakusen Boku Iro ni Somare! Oyashiki-Hen/Gakkou-Hen 18336 / NEW
8. NDS Shugo Chara! 3-tsu no Tamagoto Koisuru Joker 17410 / NEW
9. WII Wii Sports 15127 / 2813168
10. WII Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 13687 / 47838
11. NDS Mario Kart DS 11043 / 2888548
12. PS2 12Riven: The Psi-Climinal of Integral 10541 / NEW
13. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 10478 / 1669309
14. WII Wii Play 10083 / 2239814
15. WII General Knowledge Training TV 9925 / 23818
16. NDS Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends 9372 / 76651
17. NDS Doraemon: Nobita to Midori no Kyojinden DS 8914 / 23455
18. PSP Musou Orochi 8361 / 103318
19. NDS Mario Party DS 8240 / 1642748
20. NDS Soma Bringer 8201 / 79298
21. NDS Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 7871 / 263561
22. WII Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008 6564 / 71780
23. NDS Duel Love: Koisuru Otome wa Shouri no Megami 6524 / NEW
24. WII Family Ski 6420 / 90684
25. NDS Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Season 6139 / 68500
26. NDS Etrian Odyssey 2: The Royal Grail 5942 / 123949
27. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 5897 / 5114897
28. PS2 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 5789 / NEW
29. PS2 Yakuza 2 (BEST) 5521 / 145412
30. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 5467 / 4613445

*. PS3 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 5400 / NEW
*. NDS Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 3600 / NEW
*. NDS Kantan! Tanoshii! Okashi Navi DS 2400 / NEW
*. NDS Contra: Dual Spirits (Contra 4) 2300 / NEW
*. NDS Kage Densetsu: The Legend of Kage 2 2100 / NEW
*. WII Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 1500 / NEW
*. PS3 Skate 1200 / NEW
*. 360 Skate 1100 / NEW
*. WII Baroque 660 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Feb 11-17, 2008
Feb 18-24, 2008
Feb 25-Mar 2, 2008
Mar 3-9, 2008

test_account

XP-39C²
Error said:
obviously not.

Exactly the reason why i said "as far as i know" and "correct me if i'm wrong" (and i was corrected to a certain degree). As said, it was not a direct statement saying "this is how things are!".

donny2112

Gundam Musou PS2 is ~5K behind the PS3 version after three weeks, but it is 9K higher for its third week sales. That means is will likely surpass the PS3 version's 313K LTD.

Tokimeki Memorial 2nd Season is tracking almost exactly like the PS2 version in 2002. After four weeks the PS2 version sold 6K / 64K. After four weeks the NDS version sold 6K / 62K. The NDS version has now charted in its fifth week, though, which is something the PS2 version didn't do.

Metroid Prime 3 is well ahead of 2 and 4K behind 1 after two weeks. It is selling slightly better in its second week than 1, though, so it could beat out its LTD of 78K. Hunters is in its sights at 90K.

Yakuza 3 started off better than 1, but has now dropped behind in the weekly sales at week 2. It should be behind Yakuza 1's LTD pace after ~ week 5. This would be typical of a smaller, more hardcore userbase. Higher initial sales but a steeper dropoff.

The March monthly totals will be really interesting. We'll get to see off chart sales for Galaxy (hopefully), PS3 DMC4, WII WE, etc.

31./26. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
32./17. [NDS] Doraemon: Nobita and the Green Giant DS (Sega)
33./00. [NDS] Rosario and the Vampire: Miss Youkai Gakuen of the Star Festival (Capcom)
34./15. [NDS] Soma Bringer (Nintendo)
35./16. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
36./00. [NDS] Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (Tecmo)
37./07. [PS2] Daito Giken Official Pachislo Simulator: New Yoshimune (Paon)
38./11. [WII] Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Nintendo)
39./00. [NDS] Petit Eva (Bandai-Namco)
40./32. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
41./28. [WII] Winning Eleven Play Maker 2008 (Konami)
42./29. [WII] Family Ski (Bandai-Namco)
43./23. [NDS] Etrian Odyssey II: The Royal Grail (Atlus)
44./39. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
45./00. [WII] Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo)
46./31. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Sega)
47./41. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
48./34. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven: Ubiquitous Evolution 2008 (Konami)
49./00. [PSP] Need for Speed: Pro Street (EA)
50./43. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)

NDS - 23
WII - 13
PSP - 6
PS2 - 3
PS3 - 3
360 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -    65,055 |    53,266 |   991,232 | 22,164,283
2. WII   -    62,404 |    55,845 | 1,006,658 |  5,622,818
3. PSP   -    59,833 |    57,651 |   978,830 |  8,580,424
4. PS3   -    12,874 |    14,934 |   335,384 |  1,977,060
5. PS2   -     9,990 |     9,930 |   156,800 | 21,083,837
6. 360   -     1,407 |     1,744 |    45,499 |    552,840

s_20080317.png

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Ouch for the PS3 it's down to the usual 10k plus they really need to get some excitement over there.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Deca Sporta seems to have caused a more significant bump than RGGK. AC4A while selling nearly as well had the opposite effect.

I think that pretty much sums up this generation. Games can't save PS3.

donny2112

Sage00 said:
Deca Sporta seems to have caused a more significant bump than RGGK.

I think that pretty much sums up this generation.

It was the holiday that supplied the bump, which explains Wii and DS's increases. PS3's decrease is very unexpected, though.

Top Bottom