• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/26 - 6/1

onipex

I hope this means that things are slowing turning around for the PSP. I still can't get over how bad the PS3 is doing.

Haunted One said:
Still a good showing for PSP. Its sustained high hardware sales simply have to show themselves in the software charts eventually.

Well... I don't know that they have to. :lol

Inasmuch as people are buying PSPs for Monster Hunter and not for media functions (I'd say that the MH buyers make up a significant percentage of the PSP's uptick, but I have no clue how to estimate what percentage that is) I think that they defiitely could be reflected on the software side if PSP had more compelling software, but I'm not sure how much of said software will actually come out at this point.

Haunted One said:
Is there a big/high profile game on the release lists in the next weeks?
Well, after NG2/DBZBL/Shiren3 its MGS4, then SRTA Portable, then 6/26 with TOS-R and 42 other games not counting limited editions.

July is even better, Persona 4, Dragon Quest V, Pawapuro 15, Soul Calibur IV, Wario Land Shake, Gundam Battle Universe...the month ending with 41 games on 7/24 and 36 on 7/31.

JoshuaJSlone said:
"Hey Chuck, it's your cousin Marvin. Marvin Berry!? You know that new logo you were looking for? Well take a look at this!"
20080605believe.png

:lol :lol :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, after NG2/DBZBL/Shiren3 its MGS4, then SRTA Portable, then 6/26 with TOS-R and 42 other games not counting limited editions.

July is even better, Persona 4, Dragon Quest V, Pawapuro 15, Soul Calibur IV, Wario Land Shake, Gundam Battle Universe...the month ending with 41 games on 7/24 and 36 on 7/31.
Tecmo also has Yamamura Suspense coming out this week, I'm curious to see if it does as well as Nishimura Suspense did.

ksamedi

charlequin said:
Well... I don't know that they have to. :lol

Inasmuch as people are buying PSPs for Monster Hunter and not for media functions (I'd say that the MH buyers make up a significant percentage of the PSP's uptick, but I have no clue how to estimate what percentage that is) I think that they defiitely could be reflected on the software side if PSP had more compelling software, but I'm not sure how much of said software will actually come out at this point.

Probably atleast a year from now, but who knows.

Looking at Famitsu's overall software sales in the pie form, even if current numbers freeze rather than PSP continuing to slide back down, the big change is that it's gone from steady #4 to steady #3, trading places with PS2.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jj984jj said:
Tecmo also has Yamamura Suspense coming out this week, I'm curious to see if it does as well as Nishimura Suspense did.

Is that the graphical adventure title that did well on DS?

31./11. [PSP] Bleach: Heat the Soul 5 (Sony)
32./22. [WII] Deca Sporta (Hudson)
33./20. [PS2] Musou Orochi: The Evil King Returns (Koei)
34./00. [PS3] Turok (Touchstone)
35./14. [NDS] Luminous Arc 2: Will (Marvelous Entertainment)
36./00. [PS2] Fushigi Yuugi: Tale of the Vermillion Bird (Idea Factory)
37./17. [NDS] Tea Dog's Room DS 3 (MTO)
38./00. [PS2] Night Flower Romanesque: Love and Sadness are Your Aria (Marvelous Entertainment)
39./28. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
40./26. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
41./00. [360] Overlord (Microsoft)
42./27. [NDS] SimCity DS 2: From the Past to the Future (EA)
43./24. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega)
44./32. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
45./36. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
46./31. [NDS] Prof. Layton and Pandora's Box (Level 5)
47./34. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo)
48./00. [PS2] Alice Matic: Apocalypse (Russel)
49./00. [PS3] Battle Fantasia (ArcSystemWorks)
50./29. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)

NDS - 22
WII - 9
PS2 - 8
PSP - 5
PS3 - 4
360 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. PSP   -    71,986 |    64,449 | 1,891,058 |  9,492,652
2. WII   -    50,851 |    49,047 | 1,519,690 |  6,135,850
3. NDS   -    38,355 |    37,404 | 1,453,916 | 22,626,967
4. PS3   -     9,169 |     9,071 |   426,842 |  2,068,518
5. PS2   -     7,203 |     7,189 |   235,686 | 21,162,723
6. 360   -     1,959 |     1,947 |    60,407 |    567,748

s_20080526.png

Pachael

At the PSP's current rate it will hit 10 million in 2 months or around the start of August. It's a good achievement considering the DS' rampage. (23+ million by then)

onipex said:
I still can't get over how bad the PS3 is doing.

I think it's a lack of first party Japanese support and Japan's general lack of caring about Blu-ray as a movie playing format.

I'm seriously stunned how all the best first party PS3 games are coming from the West. Outside of Hot Shots Golf, what has SCEJ released that is on par with stuff like Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank?

jesusraz

HK-47 said:
Is that the graphical adventure title that did well on DS?
Yup. We last saw it around the 130,000 mark, Tecmo says it shipped 200,000 recently and Masahiro Shidara said he personally hoped it would eventually hit 300,000. In fact, Shidara-san said Tecmo had exceeded 200,000 sales of the game and it was still selling strong back in February.

After the last two Tecmo DS flops (Ninja Gaiden and Penelope) I think they'll be hoping for a big splash with Misa Yamamura.

sphinx

the piano man
OldJadedGamer said:
I think it's a lack of first party Japanese support and Japan's general lack of caring about Blu-ray as a movie playing format.

I'm seriously stunned how all the best first party PS3 games are coming from the West. Outside of Hot Shots Golf, what has SCEJ released that is on par with stuff like Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank?

The problem with the Sony platforms is that nobody is willing to take responsability for anything. With Kuturagi and Harrison out of the picture, there's only Hirai to be the master mind behind all things playstation and he royally sucks at it.

Playstation as a whole is absolutely "directionless" ever since last gen ended. Things are going bad and nobody is willing to take the reins and for fucks sake, make things right for once. I am surprised PS3 is still considered by anybody when in fact not even sony knows what to do with it.

Olaeh

Glad to see Battle Fantasia at least chart somewhere... even though its #49 :( Thats probably, what... 30 units sold?

Bizzyb

Banned
I've come to the conclusion that as long as PS2 continues to remain very relevant in Japan PS3 will never be a relevant console there. Not at least until either MGS or FF make a difference. And at this point I'm not sure it would even matter much.

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
Turing's not slowing--he's dead.

Have you ever read the book "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson ? It is a nice book about cryptology, and it has Alan Turing as one of the character in it (just in case you like Alan Turing).

Spiegel

Last year:
Code:
1. NDS   -   123,211 |   127,542 | 3,414,208 | 17,419,887
3. PSP   -    26,358 |    26,097 |   953,788 |  5,485,917

This year:

Code:
1. PSP   -    71,986 |    64,449 | 1,891,058 |  9,492,652
3. NDS   -    38,355 |    37,404 | 1,453,916 | 22,626,967

In one year:

PSP = ~4 mill.
NDS= ~5 mill.

And holy shit DS selling 3,4 mill. at this point last year

HK-47 said:
Not you too

When it's selling less than 40k, it's really time to start putting some pressure on somehow. As you might recall, the DS never has received a price drop in Japan: it received a price increase with the introduction to the Lite.

Course Iwata has stated he never wants to drop the price on hardware OR software so...

apujanata

Dragona Akehi said:
When it's selling less than 40k, it's really time to start putting some pressure on somehow. As you might recall, the DS never has received a price drop in Japan: it received a price increase with the introduction to the Lite.

Course Iwata has stated he never wants to drop the price on hardware OR software so...

I agree that it is time for DS to do a price drop, but not because of it's 40K/week sales. Going almost 4 years without a single price drop is giving nintendo too much profit.

apujanata said:
I agree that it is time for DS to do a price drop, but not because of it's 40K/week sales. Going almost 4 years without a single price drop is giving nintendo too much profit.

Well of course, as a consumer it should have had a price drop years ago. I'm purely speaking from a business standpoint now. Clearly, there needs to be something done for the DS to begin selling as it was last year.

Tenbatsu

Dragona Akehi said:
Well of course, as a consumer it should have had a price drop years ago. I'm purely speaking from a business standpoint now. Clearly, there needs to be something done for the DS to begin selling as it was last year.
DragonQuest IX?

donny2112

Famitsu May 19-25

1. NDS Pro Yakyuu Team o Tsukurou! 60266 / NEW
2. WII Mario Kart Wii 54239 / 1362063
3. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G 48053 / 2169282
4. WII Wii Fit 44551 / 2084241
5. NDS Glory of Hercules: Proof of Soul 24710 / NEW
6. WII Battalion Wars 2 16464 / 41357
7. PSP Bleach: Heat the Soul 5 14669 / 54261
8. NDS Taiko Drum Master 2 13934 / 164085
9. NDS Mario Kart DS 13688 / 3060707
10. WII Wii Sports 12750 / 2949034
11. WII Link's Crossbow Training with Wii Zapper 12182 / 168619
12. NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage 10228 / 541826
13. NDS Luminous Arc 2 10189 / 45231
14. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 9812 / 244798
15. WII Wii Play 9753 / 2356754
16. NDS Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (We are Fossil Diggers) 9698 / 119720
17. 360 Half Life 2: The Orange Box 9420 / NEW
18. NDS Hiiro no Kakera DS (Scarlet Fragments) 8495 / NEW
19. PS2 Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin 7855 / 377703
20. PS3 Haze 6852 / NEW
21. NDS Tea Dog's Room DS 3 6785 / NEW
22. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 5857 / 5181470
23. WII Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! 5645 / 185972
24. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 5516 / 1645362
25. PS2 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 4844 / 167350
26. NDS Mario Party DS 4383 / 1710745
27. PS3 Valkyria Chronicles 4004 / 123152
28. NDS SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi 3924 / 133944
29. NDS Taiko Drum Master 3738 / 397661
30. NDS Yattaman DS: Bikkuridokkiri Daisakusen da Koron 3645 / 30909

*. PS2 Princess Nightmare 3200 / NEW
*. 360 Stranglehold 2500 / NEW
*. PSP Daisenryaku VII Exceed 1700 / NEW
*. NDS Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite 1500 / NEW
*. PS3 Motorstorm Complete 1400 / NEW
*. WII Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock 1300 / NEW
*. WII Wi-Fi Taiou: Gensen Table Game Wii 670 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Apr 21-May 4, 2008
May 5-11, 2008
May 12-18, 2008

donny2112

Tenbatsu said:
DragonQuest IX?

Wouldn't the majority of those who would buy DQIX probably already have a DS by this point?

It needs a price drop. Yes, it's still selling better/as good as PS2 at the same point in its lifespan, but it shouldn't cost more now than it did at launch. The resulting minor overall increase in weekly sales probably wouldn't be a bad thing, too. :p

Opiate

I think it's clear that the PSP hardware revival is having at least some effect on software, and this week shows that most clearly. Not as hefty a rise as Sony might want, but some. I don't think there's any way we would have seen these results 9 months ago.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
Wouldn't the majority of those who would buy DQIX probably already have a DS by this point?

It needs a price drop. Yes, it's still selling better/as good as PS2 at the same point in its lifespan, but it shouldn't cost more now than it did at launch. The resulting minor overall increase in weekly sales probably wouldn't be a bad thing, too. :p

Likewise, people saying NSMB 2 and Nintendogs 2 are delusional. It need to be a new hot IP that the DS doesnt have

donny2112

HK-47 said:
Likewise, people saying NSMB 2 and Nintendogs 2 are delusional. It need to be a new hot IP that the DS doesnt have

There would still be some increase for those two due to rebuyers, but DQIX has a steady environment of DQ remakes to try to pull in as many as possible before DQIX is released. Definitely agree on the DS needing a new spree of hotness for a prolonged sales surge, though.

FFVIIr (even if it came to the DS, FFV and FFVI would need to come out first; Wii is a more likely home for it if core software sales can pick up, though)
Monster Hunter (wouldn't be nearly as influential as it is on the PSP)

Maybe Nintendo could do some stuff like a Super Famicom Mini games or a Super Smash Bros. The DS is definitely in a position to get a sizable increase from inserting the right games into the lineup, but I'm not sure what they would be. Price drop or a redesign (which I don't see how that could make sense with the ideas being thrown around for one) could help, too. Some kind of good social game to get people bringing out their DSs in public more might be good, similar to how people bringing out their PSPs for Monster Hunter helped make a sustained increase.

sphinx

the piano man
I don't think there is much nintendo can do with the DS. If they lower the price they will most likely end up selling the same 35k~40k units at a lower price, thus getting less profit for unit sold.

the problems is, everyone who might have possibly wanted a DS already has it. price drops works in cases like PSP were there are other 13 million people using the handheld of the competition. By lowering the price maybe you can persuade them to buy a 2nd handheld, but with DS.. I don't know...

santouras

price drop should have some effect. However DS is treading uncharted waters in Japan right now. Has any handheld sold as much as it has over there? Maybe Nintendo is starting to find out what the saturation point really is. Or maybe they are finding out what the saturation point is at that price range, if they drop it they can reach even more people. Sure Iwata said he doesn't want to drop the price, no businessman would want to, but it's something they will be forced to do pretty soon.

Cheesemeister said:

I'd buy it if it also contained all the other classics. Like a Super Mario All-Stars game. But Nintendo doesn't do value compilations anymore. They like to sell them all individually for for full price now a days.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sphinx said:
I don't think there is much nintendo can do with the DS. If they lower the price they will most likely end up selling the same 35k~40k units at a lower price, thus getting less profit for unit sold.
the problems is, everyone who might have possibly wanted a DS already has it. price drops works in cases like PSP were there are other 13 million people using the handheld of the competition. By lowering the price maybe you can persuade them to buy a 2nd handheld, but with DS.. I don't know...

No, since when has this ever been the case?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-marketshare-pie-79.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-79.jpg

Market Share Gains & Losses:
[ ] 360: - 0.03
[ ] PS3: - 0.06
[ ] Wii: + 0.09

If this week repeated forever:
[ ] The Wii would reach 70.00% NEXT WEEK
[ ] The PS3 would fall to 23.00% by 08-10-08
[ ] The 360 would fall to 6.00% by 11-16-08

freddy

Banned
I'd think hardware price drops would be driven by dwindling software sales and to be competitive price-wise with the competition, so there's not much incentive for one really at this point.

Vinnk

schuelma said:
Vinnk- with some high profile releases coming out soon (Shiren 3, MGS4, ToS:KoR), could we get some Vinnk's Village updates in the weeks ahead?

Sure. But can you give me the release dates on the titles you want me to look for, Sorry, I'm a bit out of the loop recently.

But yeah, I miss doing the report too. There just hasn't been much released recently that is worth the 3 or so hours it takes me to put one together.

Vinnk

PantherLotus said:
If this week repeated forever:
[ ] The Wii would reach 70.00% NEXT WEEK

I said "wow"

I wonder how long it will stay at 70% or more?

Will MGS4 slow the gradual closing of blue Pac-man's mouth? Open it a little?

Exciting weeks ahead.

donny2112

Just to give a heads up, I've started tracking the HD Consoles vs. Wii Balance Board. This won't be a regular weekly graph until it gets close (September-ish?), though.

PS360vsWiiBo_MC.png

Top Bottom