• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/26 - 6/1

CrisKre

So you're making predictions that you know to be unattainable in a sales-age thread for what reason then?

wtf? unattainable? no dude, i wont bet on predictions because im not 15. If im wrong i laugh about it and move on to my next prediction. If im right i feel i know it all and feel i can conquer the world. thats all.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
CrisKre said:
Many, many, MANY high profile games have done WAY over that historically in Japan first day. Even on struggling consoles. If you ask me its more surprising PS3 hasn't had a game amongst its bigger titles that accomplished those numbers yet than predicting the biggest release yet may do so.

If you look at consoles that struggle, the iterations of previously huge series tend to decline. It happened with the GC and so far it has absolutely happened to every franchise to hit the PS3 sans Devil May Cry. That''s why people think your predictions are so unlikely.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
schuelma said:
the iterations of previously huge series tend to decline.
To be fair - PS2 was guilty of that relative to PS1 as well, in Japan in particular. Of course, long running series have a tendency to decline over time regardless of platform.

Gaborn

kassatsu said:
first day: 85k
first week: 200k
ps3: 35k

Be realistic people.

That would be EPIC. I think it'll probably be around double that personally, but boy do I want to see GAF's reaction if that's what it is.

Sharp

schuelma said:
If you look at consoles that struggle, the iterations of previously huge series tend to decline. It happened with the GC and so far it has absolutely happened to every franchise to hit the PS3 sans Devil May Cry. That''s why people think your predictions are so unlikely.
Ocarina of Time did do better than any other Zelda game on the N64, though. In theory that could happen with MGS4 as well.

Link

The Autumn Wind
XiaNaphryz said:
It's a prediction in a regular weekly sales thread on a board notorious for posters who are serious about realistic predictions. ;)

I'm sure Konami will be looking at the worldwide numbers more than anything, so even if it doesn't do really well in Japan, if it sells enough overall that's all the really matters for the bottom line.
Am I the only one that thinks there's no possible way Konami is making back the money put into this game?

Sharp

Link said:
Am I the only one that thinks there's no possible way Konami is making back the money put into this game?
Hm? As long as it sells one million or more, and if Carnival Games can do it I'm sure MGS4 will in short order, they'll have made back the money.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It only has to sell one million to recoup costs? If that's the case, then there's no problem, but I have a feeling it's a higher number than that.

Narag

Sharp said:
Hm? As long as it sells one million or more, and if Carnival Games can do it I'm sure MGS4 will in short order, they'll have made back the money.

Wasn't that comment based on what RP erroneously said about having to sell 1M day one?

Ceres

Banned
Link said:
It only has to sell one million to recoup costs? If that's the case, then there's no problem, but I have a feeling it's a higher number than that.

I kind of doubt they'll recoup costs at 1 mil games. I would think R&D would have run up the costs a lot but they often don't get attributed to a specific games production budget because they're seen as an overhead investment for future games as well.
And apparently the quote was 1 mil games needed on day one.

Narag

Ceres said:
I kind of doubt they'll recoup costs at 1 mil games. I would think R&D would have run up the costs a lot but they often don't get attributed to a specific games production budget because they're seen as an overhead investment for future games as well.
And apparently the quote was 1 mil games needed on day one.

That's the quote. It was retracted later.

Terrell

Sharp said:
Ocarina of Time did do better than any other Zelda game on the N64, though. In theory that could happen with MGS4 as well.
Yeah, except I'm pretty sure N64 sold several leagues better than PS3, so.... I dunno what to tell you.

Ceres

Banned
Sharp said:

Theory? Doesn't there need to be some hard evidence to support a theory? That's more like a fantasy. For OoT, you're talking about a game that was released 2 years into the N64's lifecycle while LttP was released at 1 year for SNES. The hardware numbers weren't that different at each games release. The PS2 to PS3 console difference is huge and MGS3 was released 4 years into the PS2's lifecycle.

Cipherr

Narag said:
That's the quote. It was retracted later.

The only information we have is from Barlog I think his name was? He made a comment on the budget of MGS4 from what he had heard. Im pretty sure I saved this quote after seeing it while lurking GAF months ago:

Cory Barlog Blog interview
http://corybarlog.blogspot.com/

D: any intrest of making a game on the wii? hahaha

YES! Even though I was less than impressed with my Wii, as well as a lot fo the games I have played, I would love to make a game on this system. I think there is a lot to be done with it. Plus...it’s like a BILLION times cheaper to make a Wii game versus a 360 or PS3 game...which is good. Making a 40 or 50 million dollar game is cool, I love making big games don’t get me wrong, but you have soooo many more masters with their hands in the creative pot when that kind of money is getting thrown around. Hopefully when the game industry becomes more comfortable with those budget numbers things will get better. I mean, we were just getting used to 20-30 million when the next gen came around and now big games are costing double. I heard MGS4 costs 70 million. Which actually sounds ludicrous to me, but in a way it doesn’t if you factor int he MGS4 and MGS online...and the tons of cinematics and long development time...it could get up to that.

Thats about all we have. Even if he isn't spot on, and is just somewhere in the neighborhood, 1m units isn't going to cut it. However the game will make a profit of that I'm certain.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ceres said:
Theory? Doesn't there need to be some hard evidence to support a theory? That's more like a fantasy. For OoT, you're talking about a game that was released 2 years into the N64's lifecycle while LttP was released at 1 year for SNES. The hardware numbers weren't that different at each games release. The PS2 to PS3 console difference is huge and MGS3 was released 4 years into the PS2's lifecycle.

OoT didnt just outsell LttP, it outsold the original as well. And LttP should have the advantage of a longer shelf life

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
since everyone else is doing it, MGS4 predictions.

first day- 150k
1st week- 400k
lifetime- 750k
ps3- 70k

I think it's perfectly feasible. If bundled software gets counted, then I think this is possible.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's pretty tough for a game to more than triple its first day numbers for first week sales.

Sharp

Ceres said:
I'm pointing out that it could happen. I think it's absurdly unlikely.

Vinci

Danish
I think I've already posted numbers for MGS4 before, but I'll go ahead and join in:

1st Day: 120k
1st Week: 200k
PS3: 45k

kassatsu said:
first day: 85k
first week: 200k
ps3: 35k

Be realistic people.
Shooting low? No way is MGS4 gonna sell that few copies on launch day and then go on more than doubling these numbers for the first week. A broad appeal this game has not. If it were that way we would've seen an increase in sales from MGS2 to MGS3 due to the heavily increased userbase. Most of the first week numbers will be from day 1.

NZer

So has there ever been a reliable guide as to how much a game has to sell to break even or make a profit? Development costs for big-budget 'next-gen' (ugh) games would be how much? 5-15 million? More? (Was it GTA4 that was 100 million...?)

It's not too difficult to calculate the sales needed to make x revenue, but who knows what cut goes to developers?

Tideas

Banned
wouldn't MGS4 numbers be known next week instead of this week?

Aren't you guys a little early with teh weekly prediction then?

llonesmiz

Tideas said:
wouldn't MGS4 numbers be known next week instead of this week?

Aren't you guys a little early with teh weekly prediction then?
First day numbers will be out on Friday.

1st day: 180k
1st week: 240k
Lifetime: 420k
PS3: 50k

AnimeTheme said:
You seriously think it will be worse than DMC4?
Well I wouldn't have thought that RGGK would do worse than DMC4 - strange things have happened this gen. Although I do agree that the propability is indeed very low for MGS4 to do worse than DMC4.

kassatsu

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Shooting low? No way is MGS4 gonna sell that few copies on launch day and then go on more than doubling these numbers for the first week. A broad appeal this game has not. If it were that way we would've seen an increase in sales from MGS2 to MGS3 due to the heavily increased userbase. Most of the first week numbers will be from day 1.
The be realistic part was about PS3 sales.

kassatsu said:
The be realistic part was about PS3 sales.
That's awfully low as well in the light of the bundles.

PS3 DMC4 release week was ~40k and then dropped off the weeks after. Even RGGK bumped the PS3 from ~10k to ~20k. There should be more in the cards for MGS4, it'll almost certainly only be a temporary bump but still.

acuul

every sigle ps3 owner is waiting for it, because of the lack of other AAA titles. They'll gonna buy the game as soon as they can.

I think first week will be huge, but no good legs for it.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Ceres said:
You can't just look at hardware sales as an aggregate, however, because you need to look at demographics and who's buying the game. OOT is the best selling Zelda because it was hyped as the singular greatest game of all time. Enough fringe consumers bought it so that its reach eclipsed mere hardware sales. Perhaps it could have sold more with a Playstation high user base, but there were enough consumers who wanted the game badly enough on that particular console. They converted consumers who otherwise would not have bought it; in effect, they found the right sort of perfect storm so that they could maximize their user base, creating a greater ratio of OOT to N64 sales. Metroid Prime had a similar dictum, as even without Japanese sales it still was the greatest selling game of the series with a relatively small user base.

I am merely saying that these games are doing more with less. Of course MGS4 would have to have an extraordinary level of hype, and given how ubiquitous MGS and MGS2 were, it will be tough to reach that, and so perhaps sales will suffer in comparison. But it can happen, and part of it will be contingent on many variables. Looking at OOT, it was part quality, part timing, part build up and release, part breakthrough, along with other factors.

Perhaps release date into a console's life span is a big factor, but there have been way too many counter examples of a sequel doing worse farther into the console's life. So I think there are bigger things at work here.

kswiston

Terrell said:
Yeah, except I'm pretty sure N64 sold several leagues better than PS3, so.... I dunno what to tell you.

N64 failed to break 6M in Japan. At worst, the PS3 will do 75% of N64s LTD. Personally I think that it will eventually pull ahead due to the Final Fantasy XIII twins hitting the console in the next year or so (I'm guessing an eventual 7-8M LTD for the PS3). Either way, the N64 didn't sell several leagues better than the PS3 in Japan. Maybe in North America, but N64 sales were horrible everywhere else.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
creamsugar said:
famitsu

DSL 70,000
PSP 110,000
Wii 88,000
PS3 10,000
PS2 5,800
360 2,100

WTF ?

Did i miss something ? Holiday Season ?