• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/20 - 8/26

ethelred

Kintaro said:
Dang, what happened to DQ Swords? Just dropped like a rock. I kind of figures DQ game + Wii + ???? = Profit.

It, uh, did. It's one of the best selling Dragon Quest spinoffs.

Oldschool said:
So FF CC RF sold less than game cube iteration?

danm

I don't know. According to the Famitsu numbers, CC ROF sold more in its first week than the GameCube game did. I don't know the Media Create numbers for the GCN game's first week. Do you?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
reilo said:
Maybe it's the consumer telling Square Enix to stop making stupid ports and spin-offs of their two biggest franchises and invest in new IPs?

Just saying...

If they did, the opposite would be the case.

The new IP's would be understocked which means demand > supply.

Xeke

Banned
sphinx said:
as far as I can tell, a game's LTD is proportional to the game's 1st week numbers.

more or less

1st week -> LTD ( at end of game's selling life )

50k -> 80k-110k
250k -> 400k-500k
500k -> 700k-1mil

and so on.

I know, some DS games are notable exceptions but I don't have much hope for FF:CC as it is a spin-off of an old,hardcore exhausted franchise

What about Joker then? It had great legs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Deku said:
All the understocked games you listed did exceedingly well when it was all said and done. Why do people bitch about things like this anyways.

The japanese used market and the timing of major releases both mean that understocked games will be hindered. Whether or not a game ends up doing well in the end is really irrelevant to whether or not it could have done better.

apujanata

sphinx said:
as far as I can tell, a game's LTD is proportional to the game's 1st week numbers.

more or less

1st week -> LTD ( at end of game's selling life )

50k -> 80k-110k
250k -> 400k-500k
500k -> 700k-1mil

and so on.

I know, some DS games are notable exceptions but I don't have much hope for FF:CC as it is a spin-off of an old,hardcore exhausted franchise

I believe it is possible for it to reach 500-700K, but it might be difficult to reach 1 Million.

Evlar

Banned
So WTF happened to Wii Sports? Precipitous drop in Wii sales or is MP8 finally beginning to eat into Wii Sports' attach rate?

laserbeam

Banned
The Sphinx said:
So WTF happened to Wii Sports? Precipitous drop in Wii sales or is MP8 finally beginning to eat into Wii Sports' attach rate?

If hardware is similiar to famitsu there was a big decrease in sales for every system.

Hcoregamer00

BorkBork said:
I'm one of the 57,000 for GS3 :lol

Same here, but I am +2 for USA sales because I am buying one for me and one as a present to a good friend who is also a Phoenix Wright fanatic.

Tideas

Banned
So I see, as far as the Wii goes, mini-games still rules (MP8, Wii-play, Wii-sport).

Poor HSG. Maybe it'll do better next week.

Anybody noticed a declined in software sells this week compare to last? especially if you leave out #1?

laserbeam

Banned
The Sphinx said:
Ah. I haven't been paying attention to the MC thread this week.

Famitsu is saying only 50,000 Wii sold versus 15,000 PS3. Its possible an actual diverting of shipment happened for MP3 launch in the US as pretty much every retailer got in very large shipments days before the games launch

ccbfan

OUCH for FFCC. Thats way lower than I expected. Couldn't imagine it getting beat by the GCN version.

As crazy as it may sound if, FF7CC does well, it could be a huge coup for sony to get more FFs on the PSP. Since FF3 its been a pretty bad drought for S-E on the DS. Their games have been either bombing or under performing left and right. Hopefully FF4 Remake does well cause I want FF5 and FF6 too.

Hcoregamer00

Code_Link said:
Huh? Is this a re-release for Phoenix Wright 3? I'm pretty sure that PW4 was on the charts months ago.

Rawr, how many times to I have to say it.

This is a DS port of the GBA game that was released in 2004. This just came out recently and this isn't a re-release on the DS because it never saw light on the DS.

Vinnk said:
I am going to stores in about 50 minutes. Anything you want me to look for other than Wii?

Gyakuten Saiban 3

You guys do the rest....

Code_Link

Hcoregamer00 said:
Rawr, how many times to I have to say it.

This is a DS port of the GBA game that was released in 2004. This just came out recently and this isn't a re-release on the DS because it never saw light on the DS.

Heh, sorry, I just thought that with PW3 coming to the US in less than a month, Japan had already gotten it.

Thanks for the info, though.

Deku

Banned
ccbfan said:
OUCH for FFCC. Thats way lower than I expected. Couldn't imagine it getting beat by the GCN version.

As crazy as it may sound if, FF7CC does well, it could be a huge coup for sony to get more FFs on the PSP. Since FF3 its been a pretty bad drought for S-E on the DS. Their games have been either bombing or under performing left and right. Hopefully FF4 Remake does well cause I want FF5 and FF6 too.
Delusional +1 or is it Bitter. I can't tell.

Hcoregamer00

Code_Link said:
Heh, sorry, I just thought that with PW3 coming to the US in less than a month, Japan had already gotten it.

Thanks for the info, though.

You mean two months, if I remember correctly the game is getting released in the USA in October 23rd.

cvxfreak

ccbfan said:

They had DQM Joker though, which sold even better than FFIII, and the DQ remakes and DQ9 will slaughter almost anything SE puts on the PSP.

Good to see PW3 selling so well. I personally thought since the GBA installment sold the best out of all the ones on the GBA, and then seeing it again in the 2006 top 100 for MC, PW3 DS would have done worse than the first two ports. But it's doing as well as the original game did on DS too.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Vinnk said:
I am going to stores in about 50 minutes. Anything you want me to look for other than Wii?
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates stock and let us know if it dropped in price too please.

ccbfan said:

Did Tabris hack into your account?

ethelred

ccbfan said:

As I said before: according to Famitsu numbers vs. Famitsu numbers, Ring of Fates outsold the original in first week sales.

If you're going to claim something to the contrary, please provide the Media Create first week sales.

ccbfan said:
Since FF3 its been a pretty bad drought for S-E on the DS. Their games have been either bombing or under performing left and right.

Really? DQMJ sold 1.4 million (beating FF3 by quite a good bit), Itadaki Street is only 50k away from outselling all other recent games in the series, Chocobo sold 150k, Revenant Wings sold 500k... I don't think the situation is quite as grim as you present it to be.

I mean, it's not like there's no numeric comparisons done for these things.

Hcoregamer00

cvxfreak said:
They had DQM Joker though, which sold even better than FFIII, and the DQ remakes and DQ9 will slaughter almost anything SE puts on the PSP.

Good to see PW3 selling so well. I personally thought since the GBA installment sold the best out of all the ones on the GBA, and then seeing it again in the 2006 top 100 for MC, PW3 DS would have done worse than the first two ports. But it's doing as well as the original game did on DS too.

If I remember correctly, the third game was the 2nd best selling game in the GBA lineup. The highest selling was the 2nd game.

Tabris

ccbfan said:

This man speaks the truth about FF7:CC starting a huge coup. It doesn't sound crazy, it's going to happen :) FFVII:CC PLATINUM SELLER BELIEVE!!

cvxfreak

Hcoregamer00 said:
If I remember correctly, the third game was the 2nd best selling game in the GBA lineup. The highest selling was the 2nd game.

Looking back at Jonny's thread, you're right. I had the two mixed up.

Tabris said:
This man speaks the truth. It doesn't sound crazy, it's going to happen :) FFVII:CC BELIEVE!!

A bitter reminder as to why you're banned from MC threads. You're post is a) wrong (three people already refuted his post!) b) fanboyish.

Mashing

Aren't we forgetting one thing? Square Enix can sell less copies of games on DS and make the same or greater profits than they can if they sell more on the PSP. Development costs and all that you know. Me, I personally don't care which system Square Enix favors as I own both.

ccbfan

ethelred said:
As I said before: according to Famitsu numbers vs. Famitsu numbers, Ring of Fates outsold the original in first week sales.

If you're going to claim something to the contrary, please provide the Media Create first week sales.

Really? DQMJ sold 1.4 million (beating FF3 by quite a good bit), Itadaki Street is only 50k away from outselling all other recent games in the series, Chocobo sold 150k, Revenant Wings sold 500k... I don't think the situation is quite as grim as you present it to be.

I mean, it's not like there's no numeric comparisons done for these things.

Ops my bad I was talking about the Square side of things. (Thats why I only mentioned the PSP getting more FFs) Some reason even though they been the same company for all these years, I still think of them as two entities. I guess to me FF will always equal square and DQ will alway equal Enix.

ethelred

Dragon Quest Swords compared to all other Dragon Quest spinoffs I have numbers for:

Code:
Game Name:		Sys:	LTD:
DQ Monsters		GB	1,911,107  
DQ Monsters Joker	NDS	1,357,408 
DQ Monsters 2: Cobi	GB	1,253,013
DQ Monsters 3		GBA	593,812
DQ: Torneko 2		PSX	578,227
DQ: Torneko 3		PS2	504,623
DQ Monsters 2: Tara	GB	480,582 
[B]DQ Swords		Wii	453,000[/B]
DQ Slime Morimori	GBA	346,299 
DQ: Young Yangus	PS2 	301,755
DQ Monsters 1+2		PSX	294,758 
DQH: Rocket Slime	NDS	293,970
DQ: Torneko Advance 2	GBA	181,024

It's still selling regularly (albeit slightly at this point) -- by the time it's done, it'll either have outsold or just barely undersold Torneko 3. It's outsold Yangus, so... that's a pretty comparable performance with both of the two DQ spinoffs on the PS2.

Is anyone really going to try to argue this is somehow out of whack with the general series performance? It's pretty comparable to all the other console games.

Brak

Mashing said:
Aren't we forgetting one thing? Square Enix can sell less copies of games on DS and make the same or greater profits than they can if they sell more on the PSP. Development costs and all that you know. Me, I personally don't care which system Square Enix favors as I own both.
I'm sure the development budgets are much higher for games like DQIX or FFIV:R than most PSP games.

ccbfan

Mashing said:

Have you seen the square PSP games other than FF7CC, it probably took an intern a week to make them.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Square will ignore the DS. That was just be stupid. I'm just saying Square won't feel like thay "have" to make something for the DS even though it works better on the PSP.

Like you I don't care what handheld they put games on. When the new PSP comes out I will have both.

ethelred said:
Dragon Quest Swords compared to all other Dragon Quest spinoffs I have numbers for:

Code:
Game Name:		Sys:	LTD:
DQ Monsters		GB	1,911,107  
DQ Monsters Joker	NDS	1,357,408 
DQ Monsters 2: Cobi	GB	1,253,013
DQ Monsters 3		GBA	593,812
DQ: Torneko 2		PSX	578,227
DQ: Torneko 3		PS2	504,623
DQ Monsters 2: Tara	GB	480,582 
[B]DQ Swords		Wii	453,000[/B]
DQ Slime Morimori	GBA	346,299 
DQ: Young Yangus	PS2 	301,755
DQ Monsters 1+2		PSX	294,758 
DQH: Rocket Slime	NDS	293,970
DQ: Torneko Advance 2	GBA	181,024

It's still selling regularly (albeit slightly at this point) -- by the time it's done, it'll either have outsold or just barely undersold Torneko 3. It's outsold Yangus, so... that's a pretty comparable performance with both of the two DQ spinoffs on the PS2.

Is anyone really going to try to argue this is somehow out of whack with the general series performance? It's pretty comparable to all the other console games.
That's not what your post said. I was just going to ask if that question that was here before was rhetorical.

Hcoregamer00

Mashing said:

Same here, I intend to buy the PSP lineup of FFT, Crisis Core, Star Ocean Remakes and the DS lineup of Wonderful World, DQ4-6 remakes, FF crystal chronicles and FF4-6 remakes.

cvxfreak

ccbfan said:
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Square will ignore the DS. That was just be stupid. I'm just saying Square won't feel like thay "have" to make something for the DS even though it works better on the PSP.

Like you I don't care what handheld they put games on. When the new PSP comes out I will have both.

I think Crisis Core is a shoe in for huge sales myself. It's a competent FFVII game on Sony's current most popular system (as odd as that sounds). It did take forever to develop though, and aside from FFI and FFII, the PSP hasn't and isn't scheduled to receive any strict RPG FF games. Crisis Core's also been in development since 2004, so the hype's been building for a long time. I'm just not sure if CC will translate into anything like FFIII or FFIV (and eventually FFV and FFVI). SE seems more interested in putting non-RPG FF games on the PSP, like Dissidia.

Mashing

Brak said:
I'm sure the development budgets are much higher for games like DQIX or FFIV:R than most PSP games.

I don't think DQIX is a good barometer as it would sell a ton even if it was on the Wonderswan. But I get what your saying otherwise.

Hcoregamer00

cvxfreak said:
I think Crisis Core is a shoe in for huge sales myself. It's a competent FFVII game on Sony's current most popular system (as odd as that sounds). It did take forever to develop though, and aside from FFI and FFII, the PSP hasn't and isn't scheduled to receive any strict RPG FF games. Crisis Core's also been in development since 2004, so the hype's been building for a long time. I'm just not sure if CC will translate into anything like FFIII or FFIV (and eventually FFV and FFVI). SE seems more interested in putting non-RPG FF games on the PSP, like Dissidia.

How dare you ignore the Star Ocean remakes!!!!!

:(

cvxfreak

Hcoregamer00 said:
How dare you ignore the Star Ocean remakes!!!!!

:(

Well, I meant FF games. :p

Aside from Front Mission, SE hasn't ported anything to the DS, while the PSP's received its fair share of PSone and PS2 ports (...and GBA ports).

Tabris

Yeah, my bad, sometimes it's hard to remember which thread you're in when you're halfway through reading a bunch of posts and you see something you want to reply to. In all seriousness, I really do believe FFVII: CC will sell over a million copies and will see an increase in the number of games from SE on the platform.

I'm also happy that sales are starting to not be 100% nintendo dominant in these threads. Anyways, have fun with this thread.

Hcoregamer00

cvxfreak said:
Well, I meant FF games. :p

Aside from Front Mission, SE hasn't ported anything to the DS, while the PSP's received its fair share of PSone and PS2 ports (...and GBA ports).

I am kidding also, in terms of support SquareEnix is supporting the DS and PSP much more than any handheld before, but it definitely could be better.

The DQ4-6 remakes is a good road that I hope SE does (in which I mean remaking games that really haven't yet caught on in the USA). Maybe one day we can get a DS port of Tobal and Tobal 2 along with Parasite Eve

Top Bottom