• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: April 20-26

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
bttb said:
Famitsu 2 Day Sales (04/29)
[PSP] Persona (Atlus) - 65,000 (55%)
[NDS] Dragon Ball Kai: Saiyajin Raishuu (Bandai Namco Games) - 58,000 (40%)
[NDS] Made in Ore (Nintendo) - 37,000 (30%)
[PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009 (Konami) - 21,000 (60%)
[WII] Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009 (Konami) - 8,500 (50%)
[NDS] Naruto Shippuuden: Shinobi Retsuden 3 (Takara Tomy) - 8,000 (20%)

Famitsu 1 Day Sales (04/30)
[PSP] ToraDora Portable! (Bandai Namco Games) - LE 11,000 (75%) / SE 11,000 (70%)
[360] X-Blades (Ubisoft) - 7,800 (60%)
[PS3] X-Blades (Ubisoft) - 7,700 (50%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1241019775/342
Persona has a good start! X-blades 360 boxart-gate pays off with the racier pinup?!?! :O

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Good sales for Persona and DBKai, in line with my expectations anyway. Dun-Dam though... :( Is there a sell-thru % for it?

jeremy must be disappointed about Persona though. :p

Stumpokapow said:
warioware twisted 1st week 108k
warioware touched 1st week 117k
warioware smooth moves 1st week 63k

ruh roh!
Funnily enough it'll probably have longer legs than anything else released this week.

kswiston

And Persona PSP's first day just beat SMT DS's first week. Should hit 90-100k week 1 which isn't bad at all.

Donny, I have a request if you have time to do it. Before PantherLotus became too busy to do these threads he had started to include links to a database of all of Gaf's previous media create threads (by year) in the OP. Is it possible to throw those links in the OP of this thread? It would make them easier to get to (I've already had to search for them 3-4 times this week). They are for sure present in the Media Create thread for the last week of March.

klee123

Oldschool said:
WOW, great sales for Persona.

I hope they start announcing new games for PSP instead of ports after this. :p

Pfft, they'll just port the entire Persona series instead. They still have 3 games to go!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oldschool said:
WOW, great sales for Persona.

I hope they start announcing new games for PSP instead of ports after this. :p
I don't know why you thought a lack of reviews would hurt it.

klee123 said:
Pfft, they'll just port the entire Persona series instead. They still have 3 games to go!
Look on the bright side, it'd still be nowhere near as many "test" ports the Wii has gotten. :lol

Plus it'd be Persona ports, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

onipex

The YTD numbers make it look like there is a real fight between the PS3 and Wii. Then the LTD numbers bring me back to reality.

I wonder if the Wii will get a DQX demo. Well I guess a DQ DS demo could have been released by now.

kswiston

I'd take ports of the Persona 2 games. Atlus USA would likely localize them, allowing me to play them without tracking down the PS1 version.

kswiston said:
To me this suggests that the expectation for the Wii should have been 17-18M. I do agree that anything under 15M will be a little disappointing, but with handheld sales skyrocketing this gen, the home market was bound to take a hit.
It wasn't really bound to. With Wii doing similar to PS2, PS3 doing similar to GCN, and X360 being... well, icing, home consoles were doing as good as ever for the first couple years of this generation.

kswiston

onipex said:
The YTD numbers make it look like there is a real fight between the PS3 and Wii. Then the LTD numbers bring me back to reality.

I wonder if the Wii will get a DQX demo. Well I guess a DQ DS demo could have been released by now.

The absolute earliest that DQX will be out is late 2011. More likely, we'll see the game in 2012. By then demos won't matter much for system sales as the generation will be nearly over.

donny2112

Cheesemeister said:
You're lucky it's almost Golden Week here, and I should have some time to work on it.

Thank you! :)

kswiston said:
Donny, I have a request if you have time to do it. Before PantherLotus became too busy to do these threads he had started to include links to a database of all of Gaf's previous media create threads (by year) in the OP. Is it possible to throw those links in the OP of this thread?

Sure. I'll just copy it from PantherLotus's thread from last week.

onipex said:

It was. It was called DQIV and DQV. The Wii will probably get one in the form of DQVII before DQX.

kswiston

Jokeropia said:
First two days, you mean.

Oops. Missed that somehow. I'm just used to Friday morning's numbers being first day numbers :D

I guess Persona PSP's first week will be closer to 80k then. Still a good showing.

donny2112 said:
Sure. I'll just copy it from PantherLotus's thread from last week.

Thanks!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
kswiston said:
The absolute earliest that DQX will be out is late 2011. More likely, we'll see the game in 2012. By then demos won't matter much for system sales as the generation will be nearly over.
We don`t know which team is developing DQX - it could be out next year.

u_neek

Durante said:
As much as I (and every decent human being) wish that it were otherwise, the most recent Atelier (or Atelier-like) titles on PS2 sold ~40k, while the most recent game in the franchise on DS did even worse. Conventional wisdom would dictate that Rorona would fall around 30k LTD on PS3, or worse. I'm hopeful that it can actually go up to 50, but it's still not anything that will have a real impact on hardware sales.
It probably won't have an impact on hardware sales but I expect Rorona to do better than the PS2 Ateliers, mostly because there isn't much else coming for the PS3 around that time.

kswiston

cw_sasuke said:
We don`t know which team is developing DQX - it could be out next year.

Square Enix still has FFXIII, FFXIII VS and Agito to release after DQIX. I doubt they are going to release all there biggest games all at once. Something is going to be pushed back. Since I would imagine that 2010 will be the year of Final Fantasy XIII, DQX will be pushed to 2011. Assuming that development will be finished by then.

EDIT: Also, it's been over 20 years since two DQ main installments have come out in consecutive years (DQII in 1987 then DQIII in 1988). They haven't managed to to better than one game every 3 years since DQV.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
kswiston said:
Square Enix still has FFXIII, FFXIII VS and Agito to release after DQIX. I doubt they are going to release all there biggest games all at once. Something is going to be pushed back. Since I would imagine that 2010 will be the year of Final Fantasy XIII, DQX will be pushed to 2011. Assuming that development will be finished by then.

What has DQX on Wii to do with Games like Agito on PSP ? It`s not like they will continue developing dqx even when it`s already finished just to not compete with some psp or ps3 games.

But yeah 2011 seems more likely, since they will probably put another DQ Swords Game out first :)

kswiston said:

EDIT: Also, it's been over 20 years since two DQ main installments have come out in consecutive years (DQII in 1987 then DQIII in 1988). They haven't managed to to better than one game every 3 years since DQV.

at the end of ff13 demo there's a message that says "winter 2009 release".

i think SE is going to release ff13 in japan this year together with DQ9 worldwide and, in 2010, ff13 will release in US and PAL territories. it makes sense from a financial standpoint: sales in japan for ff13 and DQ9 will help this fiscal year, while WW sales for ff13 will help fiscal year 2010. maybe another hit for japan with DQ10 for that fiscal year, but it doesn't make too much sense releasing it a year after 9, when there is stuff like agito13, two kingdom hearts and possibly a japanese ffv13 that's probably far into development than DQ10.

Eteric Rice

It depends on when they started working on it, really. DQIX has probably been finished for a long time now, but is still not released due to fixing the online and some tweaking.

A bulk of the team may already be working on DQX. And they're probably just going to use a modified VIII engine. That cuts out quite a bit of time right there.

Of course, they could opt to use the Wii's version of the Crystal Tools.

kswiston

cw_sasuke said:
What has DQX on Wii to do with Games like Agito on PSP ? It`s not like they will continue developing dqx even when it`s already finished just to not compete with some psp or ps3 games.

But yeah 2011 seems more likely, since they will probably put another DQ Swords Game out first :)

Nothing to do with competition between games on different platforms. More to do with not having a record breaking fiscal year followed by a 50-65% drop in revenue the next year. After the Dark Knight made so much more money than expected, Warner Brothers moved Harry Potter 6 from last fall to this summer to balance out their earnings between the two years. Having two $900M+ movies in 2008 and then none nearly that high in 2009 would have looked bad to shareholders.

cw_sasuke said:

Wada doesn't like too much profit one year with a huge drop off the next. DQX is 2012/13. IX isn't even out yet so how can X be out next year? Moreover, there are three other huge games SE has that are ahead in line: FFXIII, Versus XIII, Agito XIII. There's also Birth by Sleep. They're not going to release all of those titles in the span of a year.

u_neek

LiquidMetal14 said:
Persona has a good start! X-blades 360 boxart-gate pays off with the racier pinup?!?! :O
Do you have a link to the boxarts 'cos Amazon Japan shows the same for both versions...?

Oldschool

jj984jj said:
I don't know why you thought a lack of reviews would hurt it.

Look on the bright side, it'd still be nowhere near as many "test" ports the Wii has gotten. :lol

Plus it'd be Persona ports, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

That´s not what I meant.

I thought the game had very little hype and no one will take note of the release.

sinobi posted 2 other titles numbers, both (cruz del sur on 4/28) released on 4/29:

NDS Dun-Dam (Dungeons and Dams) - 6,100
PS3 Daikoukai Jidai Online: Cruz del Sur - 4,400

Pawapuro MLB increased over last year edition (in October), color me surprised but just a little since it still did bad and it was rather easy to improve over the extremely shitty numbers the latest one pulled. sinobi says it was 12k and 2k (PS2 and Wii respectively) last time. Maybe not fair since its two days vs one, plus golden week release. Oh well.

edit: yeah, didn't see bttb had updated his post in the last page to include these two, oh well #2

Spiegel

Nice sales for Persona.

If they don't want to release a new game after this, I wouldn't mind a port of Persona 4

Vinci

Danish
Stumpokapow said:
warioware twisted 1st week 108k
warioware touched 1st week 117k
warioware smooth moves 1st week 63k

ruh roh!

Smooth Moves was really poor by comparison though.

icecream

Public Health Threat
bcn-ron said:
Xbox 360 has an established audience for fapping games.
Looking at the horrible sales for both versions of X-blades, you'd be wrong. Don't mix games such as IM@S or Chaos;Head:Noah with your tasteless junk.

X-Blades probably wouldn't have gotten most of its sales if it wasn't for Kugimiya Rie's voice acting anyways.

Rolf NB

I still can't get over how they clearly spell their game "BLANES" on the cover, and yet everyone, including trackers, keeps calling it "X-Blades" as if that was its name. LEARN TO READ PEOPLE ARGH.

edit:
icecream said:
Looking at the horrible sales for both versions of X-blades, you'd be wrong. Don't mix games such as IM@S or Chaos;Head:Noah with your tasteless junk.
Yeah, exactly, my tasteless junk.
*goes back to playing BLANES*
*faps a little*

jakncoke

Banned
bcn-ron said:
I still can't get over how they clearly spell their game "BLANES" on the cover, and yet everyone, including trackers, keeps calling it "X-Blades" as if that was its name. LEARN TO READ PEOPLE ARGH.

edit:Yeah, exactly, my tasteless junk.
*goes back to playing BLANES*
*faps a little*

It clearly looks like a D, your just crazy.

donny2112

* OP updated.
* No Famitsu update this week, but I'm sure we'll get this week's Top 30. From historical precedence, it'll be April 20-26 and April 27-May 3 that get combined.
* The Top 20 is updated at Yahoo, if you have to get your Famitsu fix for this week. :)

donny2112

Regulus Tera said:
As far as I remember, no internal S-E teams work on Dragon Quest games. They are outsourced.

I think the actual development is outsourced, but the management, planning, and design are done by internal teams. I highly doubt Level 5 will be developing DQX, though. They are very busy.

jeremy1456

donny2112 said:
I think the actual development is outsourced, but the management, planning, and design are done by internal teams. I highly doubt Level 5 will be developing DQX, though. They are very busy.

Dragon Quest X would make them more money than any other game they could make.

Top Bottom