• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: May 25-31, 2009

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I noticed a spike in interest when that happened, actually, as it was driven by a few key releases coming out back-to-back. It dropped off back to nothingness again after some weeks though. I think there was a while there where I didn't even post in the MC thread.

Same thing happened when the PSP was outselling the DS for a while. Lots of interest when it first happens, then it gets old after a few weeks.

Yes. Interest at first of course, but nothingness afterwards.

Tron 2.0

I've been missing these threads as of late, but do we know the LTD of Monster Hunter G on Wii? Didn't see it in the posted Famitsu numbers.

That's a really strong start for Kingdom Hearts.

Nice showing for Kingdom Hearts DS

I wonder why they didn't show Kingdom Hearts PSP at e3. Also were is Square hiding Parasite Eve: Za Sad Bathday?

andthebeatgoeson

As a lifelong poster in these threads starting a week ago, I can tell you my experience: The dream is over. It's just a fricken nightmare. I really thought the PSP had a chance to come back. But, it wasn't to be...*tears*

Cipherr

xero273 said:

From sinobi, first week comparisons:

March 2002: PS2 "Kingdom Hearts" 411k
December 2002: PS2 "Kingdom Hearts Final Mix" 164k
November 2004: GBA "Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories," 174k
December PS2 "Kingdom Hearts II" 738k
March 2007: PS2 "Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix +" 182k
May 2009: DS "Kingdom Hearts 358 / 2 Days" 291k

So overall the second best. Not bad. Still hate the series though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Puncture said:

Third best, but over 2 days and far from the holiday season.

MoogPaul

TTP said:
Actually, these threads have been dead since PS3 started selling more than Wii.

might have something to do with the fact that the top game in the US out sells the top 20 in JPN up until this month.

Recipe to make MC thread longer:

1) Pull a jimbo (support the underdog)
2) Discuss about Wii 3rd party state (rub salt in the wound)
3) Be a one man team (contradict the collective opinion)
4) Reveal your future sighting abilities (predict crazy outcomes)
5) Pull a ioi (support imaginary numbers)
9) Replies hit 4 digits
10) Profit, of course

spwolf said:
fact that Last Guy charted shows how small DD market is in Japan.
I really think reading much of anything into 0.1% of any system's userbase buying a particular game is pretty useless. I mean, we wouldn't look at Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time Wii selling a few dozen thousand copies and take it to mean anything about the DS software market.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

9) Replies hit 4 digits
10) Profit, of course

:lol :lol :lol

and also:

11) PSP software sales not supporting PSP sales (talking about piracy, MP3, etc...)
12) Introduce new preliminary and imaginative MC hardware numbers just after the release of Famitsu numbers (and in contradiction with them)
13) Discuss the vaporware status of Gran Turismo mobile since GT mobile was revealed at E3 2004 with movie, box and disc art!!!
14) Claim that NATAL will permit to 360 to go ahead PS3 in Japan very soon...

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

9) Replies hit 4 digits
10) Profit, of course

6) Play the doicare card (kids, school holidays, alternatively downplay wii/ds sales depending on the week)

I rarely post in here anymore because all the discussion amounts to recently is fluctuations in units over the first day and week. Boring.

I usually just click the thread, read the numbers, take note of the situation in relation to what I feel is relevant, and leave.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 233 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 186.8 weeks (September 27, 2003), where DS was at 101.3 weeks (November 7, 2006), and where GBA was at 157.7 weeks (March 26, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 181 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 16.9 weeks (January 5, 2002), where PS3 was at 37.7 weeks (July 27, 2007), and where Wii was at 5.4 weeks (January 3, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 133 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 44.9 weeks (January 6, 2001), where PSP was at 67.9 weeks (March 25, 2006), where GCN was at 123.3 weeks (January 20, 2004), and where Wii was at 35.2 weeks (July 30, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 130 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 97.5 weeks (January 30, 2003), where DS was at 77.0 weeks (May 21, 2006), where PS2 was at 115.7 weeks (May 17, 2002), and where PSP was at 166.6 weeks (February 14, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 30 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 45.9 weeks (December 27, 2003) and where DSL was at 15.8 weeks (June 16, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 69.4 / 30.6 bring total shares to 68.3 / 31.7. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 441.9 weeks (November 19, 2017).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 28.1 / 71.9 bring total shares to 24.6 / 75.4. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 440.3 weeks (December 29, 2019).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 41.1 / 58.9 bring total shares to 28.3 / 71.7. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 390.6 weeks (November 25, 2016).

Week over week, everything is up a little; except for DS which is up a lot.
X360

Our old friend Pac-Man makes a short-lived and painful-looking return this week.

Through the first twenty-two weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -64.1%
DSL+DSi: +1.7%
PS2: -50.1%
PS3: +28.4%
PSP: -44.4%
X360: +235.2%

Home hardware: -37.0%
Portable hardware: -24.4%
Sum of all hardware: -29.4%

Last year:

This year:

markatisu

I've been missing these threads as of late, but do we know the LTD of Monster Hunter G on Wii? Didn't see it in the posted Famitsu numbers.

Without looking at last weeks it should be somewhere between 205-215k

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Can someone confirm if KH is sold out in japan? amazon is charging +7000-8000 yen the game since last saturday...

Eteric Rice

Puncture said:

The first one was good, the second one made me RAAAGE because everything just kind of got retarded.

I might give the DS and PSP ones a shot, though. The DS one looks impressive considering the hardware.

Rolf NB

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Hey, that reminds me of something:
myself said:
I'll predict that H1 2009 vs H1 2008 (before Metal Gear Solid 4 last year, basically) PS3 hardware sales in Japan should be up 20% without a price drop, and obviously above if a price drop should happen.
It's another week to go technically, but it'll exceed the prediction even if PS3 sales are zero then.

Do I get my badge now? Will I be invited to the bi-annual meetings?

Rolf NB

BishopLamont said:
6) Play the doicare card (kids, school holidays, alternatively downplay wii/ds sales depending on the week)
Oh just shut up already. You never even understood what he said, as evidenced by you pulling your "hurr hurr you were wrong again" routine even in weeks where he was right. Stop being so worthless.

First day sales (2ch)

WII Arc Rise Fantasia - 18,000 (50%)
PSP Evangelion Jo - 8,000 (30%)
PS2 Evangelion Jo - 4,000 (20%)
NDS Kodawari Saihai Simulation: Ocha no Ma Pro Yakyuu DS - 2,500 (25%)
PSP Nishimura Kyoutarou Travel Mystery: Akugyaku no Kisetsu - Tokyo - Nanki Shirahama Renzoku Satsujin Jiken - 1,200 (10%)

bcn-ron said:
Oh just shut up already. You never even understood what he said, as evidenced by you pulling your "hurr hurr you were wrong again" routine even in weeks where he was right. Stop being so worthless.
Yeah because I was the only one that thought how stupid his theory was? (that was sarcasm just in case you're too stupid to figure out) Stop being a moron.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales (2ch)

PSP Nishimura Kyoutarou Travel Mystery: Akugyaku no Kisetsu - Tokyo - Nanki Shirahama Renzoku Satsujin Jiken - 1,200 (10%)

Low shipment for ARF, but you really can't blame Marvelous or retailers for that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Well, I wouldn't say that 18k is a particularly good number in any absolute sense, but in context of the shipment that's solid. I guess we'll see how this ends up evolving over time.

Acosta

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales (2ch)

Marvelous sure was confident with that :p Probably they and the retailers had the right idea.

Rolf NB

BishopLamont said:
Yeah because I was the only one that thought how stupid his theory was? (that was sarcasm just in case you're too stupid to figure out) Stop being a moron.
Getting support from a couple of idiot friends does not make your position right.

Taurus

DeaconKnowledge said:
I rarely post in here anymore because all the discussion amounts to recently is fluctuations in units over the first day and week. Boring.

I usually just click the thread, read the numbers, take note of the situation in relation to what I feel is relevant, and leave.
This.

Every week I check in, but most of the times don't post anything. Also, JoshuaJSlone's statistics are great to read. Keep it up! :)

doicare

BishopLamont said:
7) Become a massive fanboy a.k.a. bishoplamont and throw all logic out of the window defending your console of choice to the death whilst under the guise of not being a fanboy at all.
BishopLamont said:
It's okay you can let it go know i've already proved i was right. :lol

bcn-ron said:
Hey, that reminds me of something:It's another week to go technically, but it'll exceed the prediction even if PS3 sales are zero then.

Do I get my badge now? Will I be invited to the bi-annual meetings?
I don't know. Predicting that half a year would take 23 weeks is really pretty bad. :)
king zell said:
what happened to Level5 last week number one game? low shipment ?
Huh? It's in #4, with only a 24% drop.

Hammer24

Banned
How ´bout some predictions to liven up the thread?

F.i.: In what 2009 week will the 360 surpass its 2008 full year sales?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Grampasso said:
What's that Level 5 game in 4th position? Looks like Layton all over again
That's pretty much what it is, lateral thinking puzzles with adventure elements.

farnham

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales (2ch)

nice.. arc rise fantasia and muramasa both doing good makes me happy... will get it when it hits NA or Europe

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
farnham said:
nice.. arc rise fantasia and muramasa both doing good makes me happy... will get it when it hits NA or Europe

They're not/did not do "good". They might have avoided complete Opoona style disaster, but let's not get carried away.

markatisu

frankie_baby said:
what did fragile do first day, i've got a feeling it was similar or slightly less

Fragile did 26k its first week, I think first day was 16k

If we apply the 1.5-2x rule (from first day to first week) then the game will nearly have a sell out (probably around 75-80%), whether thats good or bad I guess depends on your side of the fence.

Its a low shipment so as donny said its probably good for retailers since there wont be a lot of stock left to dump off a low pricing.

yankee666

i was thinking the other day, with all the fuss about digital distribution (PSPGO), is there any chance that in the future we are gonna see some charts of those digital games ??

donny2112

yankee666 said:
is there any chance that in the future we are gonna see some charts of those digital games ??

Proprietary information controlled by companies with no incentive to provide it to the public and good reason to keep it private. Therefore, I find it unlikely with the current distribution model.

Top Bottom