• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: May 25-31, 2009

duckroll

Regulus Tera said:
THINK HOW MUCH THEY WOULD SELL IF SADAMOTO HAD A REGULAR SCHEDULE

also ducky i liked your other avatar more

I don't think it would make any difference really. The Eva manga is just a side project. It's hardly what's driving the fanbase.

I liked the old avatar too! But alas, with all things, we need a change once in a while! :(

EDarkness

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
To note the Wii title is the one that costs magically 0 to make, its also made in 3 days by 2 guys who had no previous experience and its the littlest project for the same studio.

Pretty considerate of us to qualify games performance by how happy are the retailers selling their allocation.

Retailers? Isn't that the most important factor? If it sells well at retail, then they'll order more product. 18000 for a Marvelous game on the Wii, first day seems pretty good to me. You guys talk like Arc Rise Fantasia is some kind of big budget super hyped game. It's far from it. Again, I'm not saying it's not a good game, but good or not, this isn't even in the same league as Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Final Fantasy, or even the Tales games. As someone said, it is what it is and somehow I don't think Marvelous is too upset with the performance. I highly doubt they figured the game would be a runaway success.

Durante

kiruyama said:
ARF is probably going to do 27-28k first week then sell another 5-6k in the top 30 and fall off the charts, like Fragile, Muramasa, and to a lesser extent, Rune Factory. It's dissapointing that the Wii still hasn't gotten a big budget RPG to capture the mainstream JRPG audience. It seems like the same 30k people are buying all of the games in the category again and again :\
I think it's interesting to note in this context that Cross Edge (which almost certainly cost less to make than ARF) sold 28k first week 9 months ago on PS3.

duckroll said:
The new movie was the top grossing non-Ghibli anime in like forever. The DVD release is the top selling DVD of last year. The blu-ray release just broke the blu-ray sales record in Japan. Etc.

:p
Reading this makes me happy since the movie is awesome.

In case any of you are trying to use Garaph and things seem off, it's not you. Late last year my host moved the data from one server to another, but recently it keeps switching to showing the outdated version from the old server, so to the end user it will appear everything has regressed to the end of October 2008. Famitsu's latest #1 game is apparently Wii Music. Hopefully it all gets cleared up soon.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
Basically, the last few months saw a lot of big releases for PS3 which prompted a bunch of new people to come visit the threads. (Activity tends to increase when the status quo is shaken.) Now that things are returning to a more normal state, activity goes down.
Ah ok, like that, i understand. I just got curious, so i had to ask :) Thanks for the answer :)

d[-_-]b

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
In case any of you are trying to use Garaph and things seem off, it's not you. Late last year my host moved the data from one server to another, but recently it keeps switching to showing the outdated version from the old server, so to the end user it will appear everything has regressed to the end of October 2008. Famitsu's latest #1 game is apparently Wii Music. Hopefully it all gets cleared up soon.
Lol yeah I wondered why some of your charts you posted earlier disappeared.

Vinnk

donny2112 said:
It's the first day sales. First week will probably be around 30K.

That would be a nice number.

But yeah, to continue this discussion further does anyone have number for what MMV expected this one to do. I am sure they were posted at some point.

What we really need are two different terms here, because "performance relative to development costs" and "performance relative to retail expectations" are both important factors that are unrelated to one another but both contribute to a game's success.

ARF is performing at retail expectations but almost certainly underperforming relative to dev costs. The likely results are that Image Epoch games won't lose out on whatever retail space they do get, the publisher isn't likely to run into trouble for themselves, but potentially Image Epoch's relationship with their publisher is going to get strained.

(Other games do the opposite, though I can't think of a great example off the top of my head.)

The reason people are "happy" to see a game like ARF meet retail expectations is that that's all it really has a chance to do. The fact that it would bomb relative to dev costs was basically preordained, and if we'd had access to shipment numbers when they were finalized we already would have known that. Selling well enough to maybe score a second order at retail is the upper bound of the success the game has ever had the potential for.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Pretty considerate of us to qualify games performance by how happy are the retailers selling their allocation.

Considering that some significant Wii games were selling substantially less than 50% of their shipment on the first day (e.g. Wii Music, Deca Sports 2), yes, it is considerate of us. From that perspective, 50% first day is a marked improvement.

Famitsu Software Stuff

Bleach: Heat the Soul 6 (3521) is still the top dog in the series after week two... but it's mostly notable for how closely it's mirroring the sales of Bleach: Heat the Soul 5 (2874), currently the best seller in the series.

Wii Monster Hunter G is no longer outselling the equivalent weeks from launch of its PS2 counterpart, but it has passed where the PS2 version was when it dropped out of the Top 30.

Animal Crossing: Wild World probably hit 5 million this week. Last week it sold 3.7K had had 1.5K left to go, but it missed making this week's Top 30.

This week #30 sold 3,162 units. This isn't a record low, but it's among the worst of recent times. There was one worse week last year, when the week of 2008-10-06 #30 sold 2,812. Before that we'd have to go back to 2005, where it was worse than this week seven times. Garaph doesn't currently list weekly data for systems earlier than PS2 and GBA, so it's possible that I'm missing counting some weeks where there was, say, a PS1 game hanging out in #30. But from what I do have, the lowest #30 appears to be 2,449 the week of 2004-05-10.

Thanks to overall low sales, we get more updates of some games which have been leggily trekking on unnoticed for a few months:

Metal Fight Beyblade has a low overall total, but I always find games which seem to sell at such a constant rate interesting.
3483+-+Metal+Fight+Beyblade+-+DS

Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe has gained about 50K since we last saw it in early March.
3265+-+Kirby+Super+Star+Ultra+Deluxe+-+DS

Momotarou Dentetsu 20th Anniversary has also gained about 50K, though in this case it's been working on it since February.
3323+-+Momotarou+Dentetsu+20th+Anniversary+-+DS

Though this one actually reappeared on the charts last week, this week Wii Sports passes 3.5 million.
91+-+Wii+Sports+-+Wii

At 4,041, Takt of Magic is the lowest first week we've seen for a Nintendo game on Wii--at least among those that actually made the Top 30 on opening week. Before this the low was Captain Rainbow's 6,361.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
At 4,041, Takt of Magic is the lowest first week we've seen for a Nintendo game on Wii--at least among those that actually made the Top 30 on opening week. Before this the low was Captain Rainbow's 6,361.

I only have one Nintendo Wii game that didn't make the Top 30 (NPC: Metroid Prime), and it was 5.2K for its first week. That makes Takt of Magic the lowest in my records, as well.

donny2112

bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 06/01 - 06/07

DSL 4200
DSi 35000
PSP 28000
Wii 13000
PS3 8400
PS2 4600
360 5900

Are Swine Flu travel advisories still in place?

bttb said:
PS3 8400
360 5900
Holy crap, I even looked at their release lists to see if there was a chance for 360 to top PS3 again but....

...none have a single release until 25th of June. PS3 sub 5k incoming?:lol

edit: I don't think looking at their release dates would mean anything so fixed :p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Not that it makes a difference in the big picture, but MC numbers have been a bit higher for Wii and PS3 the last 3-4 weeks. So PS3 might be above 10K when we get those numbers tomorrow night!

Seriously though, another horrible horrible week. Things should start picking up soon-WSR, DQ 9, MH Tri are all coming out in the next 7-8 weeks.

schuelma

°°ToMmY°° said:
first shipment was 50k. that's 70% sell through, sold out is usually 95% or more.

Really? Based on the first day numbers the shipment was thought to be about 36K.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
WarioWare really is a bomb. Tracking far behind every other series installment both in absolute numbers and relative legginess. Cow milked dry OR released at a bad time--you decide.

schuelma said:
Pretty big fall for Gyakuten Kenji

It's not quite as bad if you look in percentages; GS4 did 24% of its first week during week two, GK did 17% of its first week during week two. So it is a relative drop (more frontloaded / weaker legs / whatever description you want to use) but not a tumble compared to GS4.

On the other hand, Kingdom Hearts:
KH1: 25% of week one
KH:CoM: 23% of week one
KH2: 24% of week one
(KH2 FM+: 21% of week one--but I don't think we should necessary use this and I haven't included KH1 FM or any budget rereleases)

KH 358/2: 32% of week one!

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:
(KH2 FM+: 21% of week one--but I don't think we should necessary use this and I haven't included KH1 FM or any budget rereleases)

I don't know off hand, but were the other games released on a Saturday? I think that may have something to do with the relatively high second week for KH 358/2

Spiegel

Stumpokapow said:

KH 358/2 "first week" was only 2 days.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Spiegel said:
KH 358/2 "first week" was only 2 days.
schuelma said:
I don't know off hand, but were the other games released on a Saturday? I think that may have something to do with the relatively high second wek for KH 358/2
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
It should be noted it was 2 days the first week, so this first full week is days 3 to 9 relative to days 1 and 2, when the other titles were days 5 to 11 relative to days 1 to 4. Anyway, its still a good 2nd week.

That's a pretty logical explanation!

It should be noted it was 2 days the first week, so this first full week is days 3 to 9 relative to days 1 and 2, when the other titles were days 5 to 11 relative to days 1 to 4. Anyway, its still a good 2nd week.

Yeah, ehm, uhm...holy crap look at Nishimura Kyotaro, it sold whole 100 copies in 3 days after 1200 the first one and it shipped 12000! :p

donny2112

schuelma said:
Based on the first day numbers the shipment was thought to be about 36K.

Which would put it at 78% sell-through. That's also assuming no additional shipments over the weekend. However, the percentages are less useful when the absolute shipment number was so low to begin with. This will probably be one of those "invisible" games that Vinnk has talked about. If you don't look for this stuff online or visit a store in just the right 2-3 week period, you'll never know it even existed. :/

doicare said:
Don't expect wii sports resort to do too much for hardware.

Because the preorder numbers are low, right?
;)

RpgN

The last couple of weeks have been so boring...I'm glad Arc Rise Fantasia basically sold through its shipment though and that KHDS is doing pretty well.

Stumpokapow said:
WarioWare really is a bomb. Tracking far behind every other series installment both in absolute numbers and relative legginess. Cow milked dry OR released at a bad time--you decide.
It's not like this is just another WarioWare game, though. People just might not care as much about creating their own microgames, and limiting interaction to make things DS/Wii cross-compatible is a step back from Touched! if you just want to play the pre-made stuff.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yeah, Made in Ore really isn't as big as WarioWare, but I think it'll still have decent legs. Makes me wonder how Friend Collection will fare.

test_account

XP-39C²
Does anyone think that the hardware sale for the PSP and the Wii will drop in the upcomming weeks not that a black Wii and PSP Go has been announced? That people will wait to buy a Wii and/or a PSP until the black Wii and PSP Go comes out for sale.

schuelma

test_account said:
Does anyone think that the hardware sale for the PSP and the Wii will drop in the upcomming weeks not that a black Wii and PSP Go has been announced? That people will wait to buy a Wii and/or a PSP until the black Wii and PSP Go comes out for sale.

I'd agree with you if Wii Sports Resort wasn't coming out in 3 weeks. (not saying it will have a huge effect, but I imagine it would spur at least a temporary bump).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not like this is just another WarioWare game, though. People just might not care as much about creating their own microgames, and limiting interaction to make things DS/Wii cross-compatible is a step back from Touched! if you just want to play the pre-made stuff.

"It's a bomb because it's a less interesting product [to consumers at large]" is sort of obvious, though. One can say that about just about any sequel. It didn't sell as well as predecessor(s) because the gameplay was changed in some way that made it less appealing.

Here's the hard part, though--determining whether the gameplay changes will make it less appealing BEFORE it releases. If lack of content is hurting the game, they probably should have added more content.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Stumpokapow said:
"It's a bomb because it's a less interesting product [to consumers at large]" is sort of obvious, though. One can say that about just about any sequel. It didn't sell as well as predecessor(s) because the gameplay was changed in some way that made it less appealing.

Here's the hard part, though--determining whether the gameplay changes will make it less appealing BEFORE it releases. If lack of content is hurting the game, they probably should have added more content.
I think he's trying to point out that it's more of a spin-off than a sequel.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
I'd agree with you if Wii Sports Resort wasn't coming out in 3 weeks. (not saying it will have a huge effect, but I imagine it would spur at least a temporary bump).
Ah yes, that is true. When does the black Wii comes out for sale again, 1st of August?

Pretty weird, I thought this Wario would have sold the best.

test_account said:
Ah yes, that is true. When does the black Wii comes out for sale again, 1st of August?
Yes, same date as MH3. It's still a pretty long wait, people aren't going stop buying Wiis in any significant number 2 months before it comes out.

Vinci

Danish
Only thing that annoys me about the new color releasing at the same time as MH3 is, now we don't have a clean read on how successful the game is. It'll be like when people disregard something due to it being a launch title.

Damn.

Otherwise, brilliant decision.

ksamedi

doicare said:
Only 2 and a half weeks to go and then everybody can see for themselves :D

These are titles that sell by word of mouth. One plays it, shows it to friend, friend likes it and goes out to buy a Wii. This has already happened with Wiisports but I'm sure there are lots of people out there who didn't get to experience Wiisports. Wiisports resort is a much more attractive package and can win over many new consumers. This is not the type of software that people go out and pre order. It will most definitely cause a bump, a very long bump.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
It's still a pretty long wait, people aren't going stop buying Wiis in any significant number 2 months before it comes out.
I didnt see your edit earlier, so i reply in a new post here :) I guess that depends on how many people who wants a black Wii instead of a white Wii. I have no idea how the demand is for a black Wii.

I guess it depends on how "significant number" is defined. The Wii hardware sales (and hardware sales in general) are also kinda low right now, so i guess a drop in hardware sales wouldnt really be that big, i agree, but maybe it could have gotten the Wii sales down to under 10k a week?

But since Wii Sports Resort is out in 3 weeks, i guess that we wont see the Wii hardware sales under 10k anytime soon :)

schuelma said:
Pretty big fall for Gyakuten Kenji

Well, it's certainly not going to do GS4 numbers. I dunno: are we thinking about this as a spinoff (in which case it's pretty clearly doing very well), a stealth main series entry (in which case it's underperforming somewhat), or a test to see whether people want them to ditch the GS4 cast (in which case I have no fucking clue how to read it :lol)?

farnham said:
so they practically sold out their initial shipment in the first week

Yeah, not completely terrible given the circumstances.

Xeke

Banned
Vinci said:
Only thing that annoys me about the new color releasing at the same time as MH3 is, now we don't have a clean read on how successful the game is. It'll be like when people disregard something due to it being a launch title.

Damn.

Otherwise, brilliant decision.

That doesn't matter though. I've bought games and barely played them but that counts as a sale. If they buy the Black Wii + Monster Hunter they either are willing to pay a premium for a Wii because of color or more likely they will buy it because Monster Hunter at least interests them somewhat and they'll at least try it out in addition to getting the Black Wii.

With the way the world is right now most people wouldn't pay an extra $60? dollars for a system, regardless of color, if they weren't interested in the game.

Spiegel

On the previous subject of "PSP Go will be the excuse for apparent bombas"... I'd not go that far, but it's pretty obvious that if PSP Go ends being somewhat successful, this will end screwing "THE NUMBERS".

Top Bottom