• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2012 (Mar 05 - Mar 11)

Indeed, the 3DS' doldrums were nothing compared to the Vita's. Not to mention they had the earthquake to contend with.

You mean the earthquake that was fully cleaned and impossible to notice in Tokyo and south from it apart from save electrical power warnings when i was in Japan 6 weeks ;)

guek

Banned
You mean the earthquake that was fully cleaned and impossible to notice in Tokyo and south from it apart from save electrical power warnings when i was in Japan 6 weeks ;)

Well wasn't the earthquake at large a pretty significant disaster? Even if a lot of people were relatively unharmed, it probably had a pretty huge psychological impact on consumers.

GCX

It still affected game sales considerably iirc. It was more of a psychological thing than anything, you just don't go happily jumping into a game store after a disaster like that.

It was enough to take attention away from the 3DS, Nintendo needed it to go viral, although I doubt even if the earthquake didn't happen the 3DS wouldn't have gone viral. We will never know, but I think the 3DS did really well despite not having much goin for it, everybody knows not to put faith in third parties at launch time for Nintendo consoles. It was all down to the promise of Nintendo's franchises that kept it afloat.

Laguna

Banned
How many weeks did 3DS remain under 10K? Obviously the week of the price drop announcement, but any others?

While some people love to say that 3DS was in the same situation like Vita last year (Vita damage control?), it really never sold that badly, it sold at worst in the 20k-35k range before Nintendo officially announced the price drop with maybe a few exceptions I don´t recall right now.

Imo, the earthquake itself didn't affect 3DS sales. It was the delay of many 3DS games that were supposed to be released in the first weeks, such as One Piece, Dead or Alive, Pilotwings, Gundam 3D, Tales of the Abyss. We know it's important for a new hardware to have constant releases in the first period, in particular if you don't have Christmas holiday.

It seems a lot of you have underestimating Ninja Gaiden 3. I know the game is ass, and that the DMC HD collection comes with better content (at a cheaper price) but some of you guys have a bunch of PS2 HD games selling more than a new NG release? I know NG historically hasn't really been much of anything in Japan, and that DMC games do decent to solid in Japan, but still.

I don't know, man. Considering all Ninja Gaidens have topped out at 41K first week (Famitsu), there are people predicting it to match or exceed franchise highs, too.

duckroll

It seems a lot of you have underestimating Ninja Gaiden 3. I know the game is ass, and that the DMC HD collection comes with better content (at a cheaper price) but some of you guys have a bunch of PS2 HD games selling more than a new NG release? I know NG historically hasn't really been much of anything in Japan, and that DMC games do decent to solid in Japan, but still.

It would not really be surprising at all for a HD Collection to outsell Ninja Gaiden 3. Not surprising at all. Not saying that it will definitely happen, but it's basically a toss up at this point. Neither release has much mass market appeal at all, so it doesn't really matter if one is a new game and the other is a PS2 HD collection. In the end, both are expected to sell poorly, and it would not be particularly surprising if one outsells the other.

Top Bottom