• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2017 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

hiska-kun

Bandai Namco's producer has said that Accel World vs. SAO will be the final SAO release on Vita. Based on those retailer charts, it looks the Vita version has outsold the PS4 one, despite having an anime-like frame rate. The series is so popular in the west that this entry is being released as a PSN-exclusive on both platforms in North America.

RIP Kirito

Well, the blogger, that is the one that matters since is the nationwide sell-through, said PS4 > PSV (first day). Probably not much difference, probably something like this might happen:

01./00. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.10.27} (¥7.200) - 70.871 / NEW
02./00. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.10.27} (¥6.100) - 69.648 / NEW <66,53%>

<1k difference

Takao

Banned
That still wouldn't be good for them, since Hollow Realization only had "legs" on Vita. The producer actually told people in Dengeki PS to not buy the Vita version of AW vs. SAO lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Tekken 7
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Dark Rose Valkyrie
Earth Defense Force 5
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev.2
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
Metal Gear Survive
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Thanks. I think this is actually a pretty good illustration of why I feel it doesn't make sense to start hitting panic buttons until the Fall.

There's actually a very limited number of upcoming Japanese PS4 games announced for 2017 that aren't on the Switch.

The only one that really sticks out to me as well is Ni no Kuni 2, and that started development a gazillion years ago. It at least fits with the stereotypical audience of Nintendo platforms though.

The rest consists of a bunch of fighting games, a few niche games, Konami's very ??? Metal Gear spin-off thing we haven't heard from in ages, an Ace Combat game announced years ago, and an HD remaster built on PhyreEngine.

I'm not sure how much of this would have realistically been expected on a platform released earlier this month.

My biggest takeaway would be that Japanese publishers seem to doubt there will be a traditional fighting game audience on the platform, given those kind of games usually show up at or near launch.

Question, why is Switch able to get late ports at launch like Dragon Quest, Setsuna, Nobunaga, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13, and such, but not of games coming out now or short term?

Odd decision there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Question, why is Switch able to get late ports at launch like Dragon Quest, Setsuna, Nobunaga, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13, and such, but not of games coming out now or short term?

Odd decision there.
I would imagine it's easier to port a finished game than one that has not yet been completed, especially without worrying about impacting your target release date.

We saw what happened with a lot of the five platform Western games at the PS4/XB1 launch, and those are companies with endless resource pools compared to Japan.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Are you fucking shitting me?

I think he was saying that since the XB1 is dead in Japan, that the platform that something close to 99% of the people will play those platforms on in Japan will be the PS4 (thus de-facto exclusive b/c of XB1's JP irrelevance). It's also likely the main platform in sales for KH3 worldwide if that follows the same pattern as FFXV.

Not that anyone really looked at my chart apparently, but the PS4 early on was basically entirely relying on good Western support and a single cross-plat Yakuza (Isshin) in 2014. It was pretty bad in Japan lol.

I do feel like the Switch is missing those bigger retail announcements from your traditional publishers so far though. Outside of DQXI (which they haven't shown any Switch footage for some reason), and Sonic Forces, we seem to be missing those same-day releases.

mao2

10./00. [PS4] YU-NO: Kono Yo no Hashite de Koi o Utau Shoujo <ADV> (5pb.)
12./00. [PSV] YU-NO: Kono Yo no Hashite de Koi o Utau Shoujo <ADV> (5pb.)
20./00. [PSV] Konoyo no Hashite de Ren o Utau Shoujo: Yu-No <ADV> (5pb.)
The correct way of reading for this title is "Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo YU-NO" (&#12371;&#12398;&#12424;&#12398;&#12399;&#12390;&#12391;&#12371;&#12356;&#12434;&#12358;&#12383;&#12358;&#12375;&#12423;&#12358;&#12376;&#12423; &#12518;&#12540;&#12494;) or "YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world" in English.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/この世の果てで恋を唄う少女YU-NO
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YU-NO:_A_girl_who_chants_love_at_the_bound_of_this_world

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I would imagine it's easier to port a finished game than one that has not yet been completed, especially without worrying about impacting your target release date.

We saw what happened with a lot of the five platform Western games at the PS4/XB1 launch, and those are companies with endless resource pools compared to Japan.

What happened exactly with those multi-platform releases? Just wondering :).

Shengar

My biggest takeaway would be that Japanese publishers seem to doubt there will be a traditional fighting game audience on the platform, given those kind of games usually show up at or near launch.
Do you thinkSFV's subpar performance have caused publishers to become more conservative with fighting games in general? It sold really badly because of its lackluster release content, but I wonder if other publisher take it as a measurement that fighting game is not as popular as it used to be (ignoring MKX success abroad because we're talking Japan over here).
I think he was saying that since the XB1 is dead in Japan, that the platform that something close to 99% of the people will play those platforms on in Japan will be the PS4 (thus de-facto exclusive b/c of XB1's JP irrelevance). It's also likely the main platform in sales for KH3 worldwide if that follows the same pattern as FFXV.

Not that anyone really looked at my chart apparently, but the PS4 early on was basically entirely relying on good Western support and a single cross-plat Yakuza (Isshin) in 2014. It was pretty bad in Japan lol.

I do feel like the Switch is missing those bigger retail announcements from your traditional publishers so far though. Outside of DQXI (which they haven't shown any Switch footage for some reason), and Sonic Forces, we seem to be missing those same-day releases.

I already sensed that, though it doesn't make it less ridiculous considering that DQXI Switch version is basically PS4 version with handheld portability. he goes further with SMT just because it registered two different with one apparently for the 3DS, which at this point we still don't know whether they are of the same game to be released on different platform or just different games altogether. All of this leads to premature conclusion on the system 3rd party support and the importance of 3rd party exclusives on the system, which of course looks ridiculous.

As for the lack of big retail announcement from other publisher, I could guess that it could be attributed to the fact that Switch is a big leap from 3DS. Publishers could make numerous release for 3DS because it isn't too different from PSP/DS in scale of development. Also Switch released at the time where PS4 is at its peak, and big publisher probably focused their effort on releasing those game on PS4 first (and porting them to PC).

horuhe

The correct way of reading for this title is "Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo YU-NO" (&#12371;&#12398;&#12424;&#12398;&#12399;&#12390;&#12391;&#12371;&#12356;&#12434;&#12358;&#12383;&#12358;&#12375;&#12423;&#12358;&#12376;&#12423; &#12518;&#12540;&#12494;) or "YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world" in English.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/この世の果てで恋を唄う少女YU-NO
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YU-NO:_A_girl_who_chants_love_at_the_bound_of_this_world

Yeah, an user some pages ago corrected me, so I changed the title, but opted for writing YU-NO first. It's Chris, the one who writes the titles, lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What happened exactly with those multi-platform releases? Just wondering :).
Battlefield 4 was a technical garbage fire.

Call of Duty: Ghosts was the worst received game since Call of Duty 3 by a very large degree.

Dragon Age: Inquisition had to cut a ton of announced features to function on last gen.

Destiny was a gigantic trainwreck.

The last-gen versions of Shadow of Mordor were beyond comical.

Watch Dogs was pretty threadbare despite being in development for six years.

There was a pretty clear degree to which resources were being stretched too thin and compromises had to be made.

Mind, a lot of places got much better at this over time, but it was clear a lot of these studios did not have the know-how and capacity to handle everything they wanted to and all of the platforms at the same time.

With the Switch, it's only one additional platform, but you're usually asking people to port down instead of up, which is a very big ask in the last 6-12 months of development.

That's not to say these developers are guaranteed to show up later, but I don't think it's weird for them to decide to try and tackle their core business first, and then worry about whether or not they'll support the Switch once they have a better understanding of it based on ports of finished games.

It's not like it's 100% mission critical like getting on PS4/XB1 at launch was for Western developers.

mao2

Yeah, an user some pages ago corrected me, so I changed the title, but opted for writing YU-NO first. It's Chris, the one who writes the titles, lol.
No, that's fine. I quoted your post because &#26524;&#12390; is "hate", not "hashite". Hope Chris sees this and will correct it.

KanColle and SaGa were both vapourware though.

Well, if not them then God Eater 2 Rage Burst which released in the February after Phantasy Star Nova.

Point is, I don't think there's ever been a period where we haven't had a definitely > 100k game at least on the horizon since... ever, I don't think? But I can't think of any announced games that would reach that number. That's not to say we won't get a surprise announcement, but things are definitely on a downturn. Even Sen no Kiseki III isn't coming.

That still wouldn't be good for them, since Hollow Realization only had "legs" on Vita. The producer actually told people in Dengeki PS to not buy the Vita version of AW vs. SAO lol.

You mean Hollow Realization rather than Accel World, right? Because I remember him saying it about HR, but not AW.

Not that it needed saying with the footage they released, lol. Worst part is we know Artdink can do much, much better on Vita as they have done in the past, while Aquria were always iffy. Just a rushed port, like everything on Vita these days.

hiska-kun

Ahh I remember the days when Phantasy Star Nova was the last big Vita game.

I don't remember these days. What I remember is that Phantasy Star Nova was supposed to be the first big exclusive game for Vita. Since other games like God Ester 2 and cia were multi with PSP or PS3.

When the game "bombed", or sold less than most expected was when everybody jumped to if PSN can't sell well, nothing will do.

Fisico

When the game "bombed", or sold less than most expected was when everybody jumped to if PSN can't sell well, nothing will do.

Hum didn't PSN had terrible demo which didn't help sell the game at all?
The game also wasn't Phantasy Star Portable 3 which probably didn't help and it ended up selling closer to 0 than the PSP subseries.
I know you know, but might as well give the whole context if we're talking about it

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's only the Capcom games (Revelations and Disney Afternoon) where I go huh, why wasn't this announced for Switch day one?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm thinking more like 30-40k this week and 50-60k next. I doubt Nintendo magically ships so many units all of a sudden.

I dunno..that would be what, 500K-ish for March? Seems very low for Japan if the plan is 2 million worldwide by end of March (and WSJ hearing goal is 2.5M).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
500-550k for March looks an ok number for Japan. Even if Nintendo increased production to 2,5m for FY west will get the majority of them. Japan isn't among the markets that will run first out of excitement since it's Splatoon's strongest territory.

horuhe

I dunno..that would be what, 500K-ish for March? Seems very low for Japan if the plan is 2 million worldwide by end of March (and WSJ hearing goal is 2.5M).

Not really. Now, even though there are shortages, Japan doesn't have a big necessity for the console as overseas. By the time Splatoon launches, the situation will improve.

By the way, this situation reminds me last year Wii U shortages, and how it was said that if the SKUs were region-free it will be easy to ship units to other places. Could it be an scenario?

Vena

Not really. Now, even though there are shortages, Japan doesn't have a big necessity for the console as overseas. By the time Splatoon launches, the situation will improve.

By the way, this situation reminds me last year Wii U shortages, and how it was said that if the SKUs were region-free it will be easy to ship units to other places. Could it be an scenario?

This is a global production shortage, though, not a "we stopped making this console, but have dead stock in other markets" scenario.

Aside from some sparsely localized stock in the eurozone, there's not exactly stock anywhere else to move to Japan or vise-versa.

Rolf NB

The rest consists of a bunch of fighting games, a few niche games, Konami's very ??? Metal Gear spin-off thing we haven't heard from in ages, an Ace Combat game announced years ago, and an HD remaster built on PhyreEngine.
EDF will sell 100 million copies, that's not niche.

[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G - 971pt + 319pt = 1,290pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 3872pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 2845pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - 2721pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 2144pt

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 521.959 / NEW
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 1.715.060 / NEW <91,96%>
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 1.446.289 / NEW <85,40%>
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥6.264) - 1.488.367 / NEW <91,84%>

Definitely not a perfect indicator, but it's going to be a fight for a million.

I'm leaning towards MHXX coming slightly under 1 million.

I was hoping it'd crack 1.2m, but I don't think the figures will bear that out.

saichi

There was nothing really stopping them sprucing up MonHun multiplats for a PS4 release though. Hell their two closest competitors(God Eater 2 and Toukiden) were PSP games and they both released on PS4.

this really doesn't help your point.

No I'm saying having all those great games helped Wii U go from total embarrassment to embarrassment so while helpful, there is a ceiling on a pure nintendo software console and we saw that ceiling with the Wii U.

If Wii U is the ceiling, what would Wii be? or you are saying Wii gets great 3rd party support in Japan?

The Switch gets its first post launch announcement/port. Seiken Densetsu Collection on June 1st. SE is probably pretty smart here, good timing and easy content could do pretty decent for them. I don't think these games have seen much in the way of recent ports either.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dont expect much but im interested to see how SF2 and the SD Collection perform.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The Switch gets its first post launch announcement/port. Seiken Densetsu Collection on June 1st. SE is probably pretty smart here, good timing and easy content could do pretty decent for them. I don't think these games have seen much in the way of recent ports either.

What's funny is that it comes out the week after Ultra Street Fighter II's release, a 1-2 notalgia punch
to the wallet, by these things cost this much

By the way, any estimated starting date for USFII's preorders on Amazon? Still can't be preordered, sincerly curious to see how it starts over there at least.

EDIT: SD Collection preorders just started showing up on Amazon.co.jp...already 14th. That's high, I think.

noshten

What is the retail/digital price in Japan for Seiken Densetsu Collection and Ultra Street Fighter II? I know in US its $40 no pricing for Europe but &#8364;40 is too high for me but I'd buy these games eventually if the price goes down. Hopefully that's the idea with these types of ports Bomberman/USF/SD for around $20 physically/digitally is an ok price for me.

Just returned from vacation and in the UK the Switches/Accessories were hard to find(Argos did get a restock after I had already left apparantly) while in Spain there were tons of Switches so even though the initial result there was good it's nowhere near sold out right now. I'm guessing because the 3DS is doing well in Spain - retailers were happy to get the next Nintendo product. Going to be interesting to check PAL threads in the upcoming weeks as we get more updates.

I'm really enjoying the Switch but sadly it's a bit hectic around work to play as much as I want to. Balancing work and playing a a game like Zelda is tough. I've only probably played around 5 hours into Zelda but so still learning and the Shrines are tough - right now I'm figuring out how the fighting works via failing constantly in a Minor Test of Strength shrine, still not good at dodging the final attacks.

Can't wait for the testfire I just hope LAN and Spectator Mode somehow works in the global testfires! I think Nintendo would really be missing out if you can't form squads and record your gameplay(for those with the setup) in the testfires - so I hope these details are announced soon. Spectating your friends in Splatoon 2 via your Switch or your phone/smart tv via their app and them storing the footage of what you watched would be something I'd personally want in the future from their online services.

I think Nintendo has really executed the launch flawlessly and they will be able to maintain interest in the device via MK8D, Arms and Splatoon 2. Any third parties that are able to customize a port for the device quickly will be able to capitalize with minimal effort so the fact it's not backwards compatible ensures there is no backlog for new owners.
I hope that Japan starts showing interest in western indie games - I mean Rocket League could do very well on a handheld with local modes in Japan. Any sort of local multiplayer game that came out last gen can also easily be ported.

I think Seiken Densetsu 1-3 is a better value at 4800 than Street Fighter. At least it's three rather meaty games that haven't been constantly re-released.

I could see something like 100k out of the collection. It's coming out in a release desert and I'm sure people will be hungry to buy anything that comes out.

duckroll

I think Seiken Densetsu 1-3 is a better value at 4800 than Street Fighter. At least it's three rather meaty games that haven't been constantly re-released.

I could see something like 100k out of the collection. It's coming out in a release desert and I'm sure people will be hungry to buy anything that comes out.

SD1 has been re-made 3 different times.

SD2 has been released on VC, feature phone, and smartphones.

SD3 is the only one which hasn't been re-released multiple times.

250k FW is the bare minimum for Senken Densetsu.

Really? I don't see it doing that much, but who knows.

SD1 has been re-made 3 different times.

SD2 has been released on VC, feature phone, and smartphones.

SD3 is the only one which hasn't been re-released multiple times.

Hmm, I knew of SD3, but I was trying to think back about the first two without Googling and couldn't think of anything in the 12 years I've been following Japanese sales of any physical releases of SD1 and 2 besides maybe a GBA game? That's still a long time ago.

duckroll

Hmm, I knew of SD3, but I was trying to think back about the first two without Googling and couldn't think of anything in the 12 years I've been following Japanese sales of any physical releases of SD1 and 2 besides maybe a GBA game? That's still a long time ago.

You are assuming people want physical releases of 20 year old games when they could just buy them for less digitally.

zeromcd73

Konami won't be releasing PowerPro 2017. They will however, be giving the 2016 game a free update which includes the 2017 roster!

#NiceGuyKonami

New PowerPro game is in development for next year.

[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G - 971pt + 319pt = 1,290pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 3872pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 2845pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross - 2721pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 2144pt

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 521.959 / NEW
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 1.715.060 / NEW <91,96%>
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 1.446.289 / NEW <85,40%>
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥6.264) - 1.488.367 / NEW <91,84%>

Definitely not a perfect indicator, but it's going to be a fight for a million.

I'm leaning towards MHXX coming slightly under 1 million.

I was hoping it'd crack 1.2m, but I don't think the figures will bear that out.
Speculated Switch port would probably do wonders to help the game. I'm pretty burned out on MH for now after Tri, 3G, 4U, and Generations, but an HD port I can play with the Switch Pro Controller and I'd be ALL over that shit.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So the Switch gets a Seiken Densetsu collection on 6/1 at 4800Yen. Seems pretty pricy for 3 Roms....

Also a Radiant Historia remake was announced for 3DS and releases 6/29.

Mpl90

Konami won't be releasing PowerPro 2017. They will however, be giving the 2016 game a free update which includes the 2017 roster!

#NiceGuyKonami

Oh wow. Actually, I don't believe they've announced a Pro Baseball Spirits yet, correct me if I'm wrong.

mao2

Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo YU-NO shipped a total of over 40K copies (physical and digital) on both PS4 and Vita.
https://twitter.com/yuno_5pb/status/844082449722163200
&#12304;&#24481;&#31036;&#12305;&#12300;&#12371;&#12398;&#19990;&#12398;&#26524;&#12390;&#12391;&#24651;&#12434;&#21764;&#12358;&#23569;&#22899;YU-NO&#12301;&#12399;&#12497;&#12483;&#12465;&#12540;&#12472;&#29256;&#12487;&#12472;&#12479;&#12523;&#29256;&#12434;&#21512;&#12431;&#12379;&#12390;&#32004;4&#19975;&#26412;&#12434;&#36229;&#12360;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;&#65281;

L~A

If Monster Hunter topped 1 million Famitsu could give its numbers one day earlier.

No Famitsu's report means MHXX below one million?

Pretty sure we're getting data tomorrow. We got it on Wednesday (Dec. 2) for Monster Hunter X: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201512/02094302.html

I don't think it matters whether MHXX sells 1m or not, pretty sure we've already had early sales report for non-million sellers before, and I assume MHXX is too big a game for them not to have one for it.

Also a Radiant Historia remake was announced for 3DS and releases 6/29.

Wasn't expecting Atlus to have another 3DS project for this year in Japan. Gonna assume they also have that Vanillaware game coming this year (PS4), and maybe Etrian Odyssey 3 Untold. Gonna re-use that EOIV engine and take advantage of the dual-screens of the 3DS one last time.

#NiceGuyKonami

Skipping a year did them good with 2016, so makes sense.

Gotta wonder if they're gonna wait until 2023 for PowaPro Switch.

#NiceGuyKonami

Well, they got a big uptick in sales from skipping a year last time, so I guess they're doing it again.

Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo YU-NO shipped a total of over 40K copies (physical and digital) on both PS4 and Vita.
https://twitter.com/yuno_5pb/status/844082449722163200

Good result. Big increase over Eve Burst Error R, right?

Ōkami

Square Enix is releasing their super expensive Seiken collection a week after Capcom is releasing their super expensive Street Fighter 2 port.

Perfect time for all the rich people with nostalgia.

Mpl90

&#332;kami;232504562 said:
Square Enix is releasing their super expensive Seiken collection a week after Capcom is releasing their super expensive Street Fighter 2 port.

Perfect time for all the rich people with nostalgia.

You're old :p

What's funny is that it comes out the week after Ultra Street Fighter II's release, a 1-2 notalgia punch
to the wallet, by these things cost this much

Top Bottom