• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2017 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

Oregano

Capcom would fail if they're only looking to sell Monster Hunter on PS4 to current fans in the west.

Exactly. For Nintendo's co-marketing to remain in place Capcom would either have to accept pretending the PS4 version doesn't exist(which defeats the purpose) or Nintendo would have to be fine with advertising the PS4 Version.

Zedark

Do you guys think Zelda will surpass the 300k on the Switch SKU in Media Create rankings that arrive on wednesday? It seems reasonable to expect an uptick in Switch hardware, and it makes sense to me that Zelda would increase week on week as well, such that it could reach above 300k.

Kyoufu

Exactly. For Nintendo's co-marketing to remain in place Capcom would either have to accept pretending the PS4 version doesn't exist(which defeats the purpose) or Nintendo would have to be fine with advertising the PS4 Version.

I think a multiplatform MH is less likely than two separate versions in the west. I imagine a PS4 version would be designed to draw new fans to the series here with streamlined features and such that consumers today would find acceptable.

Like, for example, being disconnected from a hunt and not being able to reconnect is some stone age shit that no potential new player would ever be OK with. If they want to tap into the mainstream western audience they're going to have to revamp their game.

cheesekao

Why would Nintendo market it. MH wasn't that big of a seller for the 3DS in the west (most of their major first parties outsold it substantially) and they'd be getting the game anyway. What positives would they even receive from such a scenario.
Same reason they advertised the 3ds versions.

Capcom would fail if they're only looking to sell Monster Hunter on PS4 to current fans in the west.
Never said that nor that implied otherwise.

Look at the marketing deals done by by Sony/Microsoft. Sony doesn't advertise the Xbox version of multiplats and vice versa. The publishers do that themselves. One just gets more attention than the other and it has been that way for the longest time now.

I imagine a potential MH PS4 game would be tied to the hollywood movie somehow. Would fit their wish to expand the audience.

But the movie seems to be shitty.

Do you guys think Zelda will surpass the 300k on the Switch SKU in Media Create rankings that arrive on wednesday? It seems reasonable to expect an uptick in Switch hardware, and it makes sense to me that Zelda would increase week on week as well, such that it could reach above 300k.

it would need a +40% bump to do so, is such a thing even possible?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Look at the marketing deals done by by Sony/Microsoft. Sony doesn't advertise the Xbox version of multiplats and vice versa. The publishers do that themselves. One just gets more attention than the other and it has been that way for the longest time now.
The 3DS games are exclusive to the 3DS that's the point. They sell the 3DS not as a aim to gain a higher proportion of sales in a multiplatform release. Seriously when was the last time you saw Nintendo market a multiplatform game?

cheesekao

The 3DS games are exclusive to the 3DS that's the point. They sell the 3DS not as a aim to gain a higher proportion of sales in a multiplatform release. Seriously when was the last time you saw Nintendo market a multiplatform game?
So what's wrong with saying that if they market a supposed Switch version, they'll be able to move still be able to move Switch units despite there being also a PS4 version? "Nintendo doesn't market multiplats" is a statement, not a reasoning. We have very little precedence of high profile former exclusives to Nintendo/Sony multiplats these past few gens so it's not like we can say for sure what may or may not happen.

Oregano

I think a multiplatform MH is less likely than two separate versions in the west. I imagine a PS4 version would be designed to draw new fans to the series here with streamlined features and such that consumers today would find acceptable.

Like, for example, being disconnected from a hunt and not being able to reconnect is some stone age shit that no potential new player would ever be OK with. If they want to tap into the mainstream western audience they're going to have to revamp their game.

That's a fair point but I don't see how Capvom would go from two teams making 3DS games which share assets to one team making a PS4 game and one making a Switch game which would need separate assets.

Except the idea would be to have the PS4 front and center because that's the one that is meant to expand western sales.

Also you're talking about actual AAA games. Monster Hunter is still a tiny niche. Sony and MS don't compete for the marketing for multiplatforms at MH's level.

Kyoufu

That's a fair point but I don't see how Capvom would go from two teams making 3DS games which share assets to one team making a PS4 game and one making a Switch game which would need separate assets.

They don't need to be multiplatform releases to share assets though. Basically two different series (like Portable and Tri back in the day) with different features but they could share assets with each other.

Oregano

They don't need to be multiplatform releases to share assets though.

They don't but expectations will be very different for a Switch game and a PS4 game especially if the PS4 game is an exclusive solely aimed at the western AAA audience. If they want to hit the AAA audience then they need the production values to match.

cheesekao

Except the idea would be to have the PS4 front and center because that's the one that is meant to expand western sales.

Also you're talking about actual AAA games. Monster Hunter is still a tiny niche. Sony and MS don't compete for the marketing for multiplatforms at MH's level.
Well I can see where you're coming from but I personally think it's possible to achieve a middle ground but that depends on how different the two versions are. If the difference is simply resolution and other minor stuff then I believe something can be worked out. If the difference is like night and day then yeah, Nintendo wouldn't want anything to do with that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So what's wrong with saying that if they market a supposed Switch version, they'll be able to move still be able to move Switch units despite there being also a PS4 version? "Nintendo doesn't market multiplats" is a statement, not a reasoning. We have very little precedence of high profile former exclusives to Nintendo/Sony multiplats these past few gens so it's not like we can say for sure what may or may not happen.
Because MH was not a strong enough system seller for the 3DS in the west and they'd be getting the game anyway. They'd litterally be paying for marketing for a few more sales when they could spend that money else where. That's partly why Nintendo traditionally don't marketing multiplatform games. They're systems are largy sold (in the west at least) based on first party software. That's partially why 3rd parties aren't thrilled about their platforms as they have to compete directly with them whereas they litterally rule the roost on Sony and Microsoft platforms. Nintendo has a high preference of just spending that money on first party games that do sell their platforms something they're very good at at this point.

cheesekao

Because MH was not a strong enough system seller for the 3DS in the west and they'd be getting the game anyway. They'd litterally be paying for marketing for a few more sales when they could spend that money else where. That's partly why Nintendo traditionally don't marketing multiplatform games. They're systems are largy sold (in the west at least) based on first party software. That's partially why 3rd parties aren't thrilled about their platforms as they have to compete directly with them whereas they litterally rule the roost on Sony and Microsoft platforms. Nintendo has a high preference of just spending that money on first party games that do sell their platforms something they're very good at at this point.
So how about another situation then. Let's say that the next MH is Switch/PS4. Would it benefit Nintendo to court 3ds users to get a switch with bundles,exclusive content, etc or would Nintendo think it's still not worth it? I know that MH is not a multi-million seller in the west but IIRC it got 1st place on the NPD charts on release month. That's got to count for something.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So how about another situation then. Let's say that the next MH is Switch/PS4. Would it benefit Nintendo to court 3ds users to get a switch with bundles,exclusive content, etc or would Nintendo think it's still not worth it? I know that MH is not a multi-million seller in the west but IIRC it got 1st place on the NPD charts on release month.
It traditionally ships about 1 million. That would depend on how much it would then to do that. They just certainly won't won't be shelling out the money they are now and may even be asking Capcom to pay to able to do some of that.

Main point being there's very little to imply why Nintendo should or past decisions would foot the bill on something like this. That's the oportunity cost people are talking about.

Takao

Banned
Toukiden 2, the first eastern modern hunting game designed from the ground up for home consoles in years, stormed the charts in the UK. Capcom would be foolish to not make MH5 exclusive to PS4. The west clearly wants this. I think 8 million WW is possible.

Vena

Toukiden 2, the first eastern modern hunting game designed from the ground up in years, stormed the charts in the UK. Capcom would be foolish to not make MH5 exclusive to PS4. The west clearly wants this. I think 8 million WW is possible.

ohyou.jpeg

jonno394

Toukiden 2, the first eastern modern hunting game designed from the ground up for home consoles in years, stormed the charts in the UK. Capcom would be foolish to not make MH5 exclusive to PS4. The west clearly wants this. I think 8 million WW is possible.

I knew you were being sarcastic, but i at least thought it'd appear in the top 40!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What exactly is the point in comparing Toukiden and MH?

They're in the same genre "similar" gameplay. Though really even though MH has the brand anyone expecting it to storm the charts on the PS4 are kidding themselves. It would have to changed so much they might as well call it a different name.

Oregano

Hold you horses Takao. We've got to see if Bamco had the foresight to make God Eater PS4 exclusive yet.:p

jonno394

Not having played enough of Monster Hunter, i can't comment on the comparison, but many look too the success of BBorne and now nioh as to why it'd do well on ps4.

My only thoughts are that i thought MH and souls are fundamentally different games?

Oregano

Not having played enough of Monster Hunter, i can't comment on the comparison, but many look too the success of BBorne and now nioh as to why it'd do well on ps4.

My only thoughts are that i thought MH and souls are fundamentally different games?

They have key similarities in their moment to moment gameplay but they are structured very differently.

cheesekao

MH is waaay more animation heavy than souls.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

You could argue some similarities in combat break offs healings etc (which many games took wholesale from MH) but yeah they very different in terms of execution and gameplay really. Not to mention the vast, vast difference in tone.

Takao

Banned
What exactly is the point in comparing Toukiden and MH?

When making decisions regarding products, smart businesses usually look at the performance of comparables. If you're making a new present day first person shooter, you might want to see how other present day first person shooters have sold. Now, I'd be lying if I said Capcom is a smart business but surely even they might take a pause at the sales of God Eater and Toukiden (the closest comparables to MH) on PS4. They don't sell well in Japan and they don't sell well in the west. One of the excuses for the latter was that the releases to date on PS4 were clearly handheld ports. Toukiden 2 did not lead development on a handheld, a move that ultimately helped to hurt the franchise significantly in the one market that cared for the IP, to little if no gain in the west.

They're in the same genre "similar" gameplay. Though really even though MH has the brand anyone expecting it to storm the charts on the PS4 are kidding themselves. It would have to changed so much they might as well call it a different name.
I just don't see the point in using Toukiden as an indicator for how well MH would do on PS4. It is day and night in terms of brand power. There are other relevant factors as well.

When making decisions regarding products, smart businesses usually look at the performance of comparables. If you're making a new present day first person shooter, you might want to see how other present day first person shooters have sold. Now, I'd be lying if I said Capcom is a smart business but surely even they might take a pause at the sales of God Eater and Toukiden (the closest comparables to MH) on PS4. They don't sell well in Japan and they don't sell well in the west. One of the excuses for the latter was that the releases to date on PS4 were clearly handheld ports. Toukiden 2 did not lead development on a handheld, a move that ultimately helped to hurt the franchise significantly in the one market that cared for the IP, to little if no gain in the west.
That makes sense but MH is on a completely different tier of relevance compared to Toukiden. What you're saying is more on a general level but there are always exceptions to rules and this would be one.

MH may not sell well on PS4 for numerous reasons. I don't think Toukiden not selling well (which has various reasons as to why) should deter them from trying though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MH on PS4 is possible. It being exclusive is quite the stretch though. The IP isnt worth as much to Sony as it was for Nintendo during this gen for 3DS.

Meanwhile MH is one of the few IPs i could see Nintendo securing as an exclusive because of the partnership last gen. MH on Switch would def. have a higher sales potential than on 3DS if the System doesnt tank.

Assuming we are talking about MH as we know it for now....if Capcom is working on a more flashy adaption with focus on the western market PS4/One getting it are a given.

So yeah multiplattfrom unless Nintendo secures it would be my guess.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I just don't see the point in using Toukiden as an indicator for how well MH would do on PS4. It is day and night in terms of brand power. There are other relevant factors as well.

Yes but brand power to whom. What makes you I or anyone think there's a substantial amount fanbase on the PS4 for MH. It's game that has never really existed in the west on consoles. There's no positive precedent either for the brand or similar games. Even the further away comparisons cap out at what MH currently sells and they have long establish fanbases on those platform.

The fact a competitor gameplay wise bombs massively does not lead to much credence that there's a deep thirst for ground up hunting action games on the PS4. That means it's selling entirely on it's brand that has never historically even existed on the platform.

cheesekao

Toukiden low sales are KT's own undoing and since when did God Eater not sell well in Japan? I don't have hard numbers for God Eater in the west but steamspy has it at 150k. There's also the fact that MH is top dog when it comes the hunting genre and is far more recognizable than Toukiden, a literal who. At the end of the day, if you want to increase brand awareness, marketing is key. If Capcom seriously wanted to make a expand MH, they would release it on as many viable platforms as possible and market it as best as they can.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Toukiden low sales are KT's own undoing and since when did God Eater not sell well in Japan? I don't have hard numbers for God Eater in the west but steamspy has it at 150k. There's also the fact that MH is top dog when it comes the hunting genre and is far more recognizable than Toukiden, a literal who. If Capcom seriously wanted to make a expand MH, they would release it on as many viable platforms as possible.

Yes but none of that implies it would even do well as an exclusive on PS4. It just implies it wouldn't be a catastrophic failure because of it's brand. The fact it has no positive indicators anywhere should be massive red flags and warning signs to anyone involved if they were actually planning any high budget exclusive or separate version for the ps4.

cheesekao

Yes but none of that implies it would even do well as an exclusive on PS4. It just means it wouldn't be a catastrophic failure because of it's brand. The fact it has no positive indicators anywhere should be massive red flags and warning signs to anyone involved if they were actually planning any high budget exclusive or separate version for the ps4.
I don't believe I've ever mentioned anything about a separate version. Even I'm not crazy enough to think that that's a viable thing in this day and age.

Toukiden low sales are KT's own undoing and since when did God Eater not sell well in Japan? I don't have hard numbers for God Eater in the west but steamspy has it at 150k. There's also the fact that MH is top dog when it comes the hunting genre and is far more recognizable than Toukiden, a literal who. At the end of the day, if you want to increase brand awareness, marketing is key. If Capcom seriously wanted to make a expand MH, they would release it on as many viable platforms as possible and market it as best as they can.

He's saying the PS4 versions of God Eater didn't sell well in Japan. Which... they didn't. At least nowhere near enough to sustain the franchise going forward.

The equivalent of saying Playstation All Stars bombed, therefore Smash will bomb. Utter genius.

Salex_

I really don't see the point of all these hypothetical Monster Hunter platform discussions. If it's a game with HD assets owned and funded by a 3rd party Japanese publisher, it's going to be on PS4. The Switch is a portable device, so Monster Hunter is going to be on the platform. Nothing else makes sense.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I really don't see the point of all these hypothetical Monster Hunter platform discussions. If it's a game with HD assets owned and funded by a 3rd party Japanese publisher, it's going to be on PS4. The Switch is a portable device, so Monster Hunter is going to be on the platform. Nothing else makes sense.

Heh..yeah pretty much.

cheesekao

Makes the thread less dead I guess.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The equivalent of saying Playstation All Stars bombed, therefore Smash will bomb. Utter genius.

Umm you do realise Smash released on a different platform and has an established successful legacy on Nintendo consoles right? Right?

Pretty much obvious, only reason there's a discussion is because of a crazy rumour and that Capcom have known to be quite let's say misguided in the past.

Vena

I... don't think this is a good comparison.

First, Smash pretty much defined the genre worldwide long before PAS ever even began being made or formulated as an idea. So PAS bombing would have zero relevance to a franchise that already had worldwide appeal and repeated success. Second, one of these has Pokemon/Mario/Shulk, one of them doesn't. The brands PAS was trying to leverage are orders of magnitude less relevant than just having Pikachu on your roster.

The discussion being had here with Toukiden, GE, MH, et al., is about a genre/gametype that has never found success globally (sans MH more recently on the 3DS and even that is largely limited). So if one of them fails, there's no previous success to point at as any sort of basis of counter-claim. The only western aligned examples we have, sans 3DS, are of notable failures rather than defining successes.

Your example flips apriori and posteriori since PAS comes out AFTER the successes of Smash, but the discussion here is BEFORE any success has been observed on a western/global scale.

Top Bottom