• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2017 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Vita hardware is slipping into obscurity sadly, Switch is really eating its audience. Ah well.

I start to have doubts Vita will outsell 3DS next year, maybe it will fall even harder. With the software coming for Vita there aren't many reasons for someone to pick it over Switch.

Tamanator

50k for Bomberman R. I wonder how that compares to the sales of the last few Bomberman titles that were released before the series went on its hiatus.

Is it? Even if there weren't supply problems that's a great hold for third week, better than 3DS.

Well sure but that is exactly because how much softer first two weeks it had because massive supply issues. Had 3DS suffered from similarly low supply it would too had had amazing third week hold. I mean Switch is obviously doing better than recent launches (like PS4) but until it starts to catch 3DS (and hopefully pass) it's hard to say just how well it's doing. Maybe there is more demand than for 3DS or maybe not. We shall see.

Just realised that Minecraft PSV dropped off the Top 20 last week, for the first time since launch iirc. Guess Super Mario Maker for 3DS is going to top my "leg-o-meter" this year.

Dropped out of Media Create 2 weeks ago. Has hung around in Famitsu top 30 though.

Fdkn

with 2 new releases for PS4, i dont think we can call this week as a week to determine baseline

PS4 gets releases almost every week, that variety is the strength of the platform.

The system is over 30% YTD increase, so there's that

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I start to have doubts Vita will outsell 3DS next year, maybe it will fall even harder. With the software coming for Vita there aren't many reasons for someone to pick it over Switch.

I think it won't, by how much depends if Nintendo does a price drop to position the 3DS as true entry level hardware. Is the 2DS desirable in Japan atm? I mean, there's also DQXI coming and probably a n3DSXL LE with it

I find it interesting how Bomberman is holding?
Also Zelda will easily reach 500k on Switch.

I'm kinda curious what Konami's sales expectations for Bomberman were. I know it's long been a niche franchise and the current sales are pretty decent by its standards, but given they're also looking at what's basically an otaku option, it seems like they must have been debating the future of the series.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Zelda BoTW on Switch/Wii U is pretty close to outselling Skyward Sword already :). Let's see how it continues.

Even when Monster Hunter disappoints, most franchises would love to have those type of sales xD.

Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash seems to have sold fine? It's better than SK2 and some other entries, but definitely worse than its peak with Shihovi Versus.

Zedark

Does someone have the graphic of sales during the first couple of weeks for different system launches? Would love to see how those did.

I'm kinda curious what Konami's sales expectations for Bomberman were. I know it's long been a niche franchise and the current sales are pretty decent by its standards, but given they're also looking at what's basically an otaku option, it seems like they must have been debating the future of the series.
Well since they are working to patch it I'll take that as a good sign it sold good enough for them to give a damn.

Hero

Mario Maker on 3DS is almost at a million units? Jeebus.

I really hope that game gets a Switch port.

Branduil

Why would you have expected the Vita to outsell the 3DS next year? 3DS should be really cheap next year, plus Dragon Quest...

MTC100

Banned
The Switch could sell a ton more, launching the system worldwide at the same time limits the numbers quite a bit it seems.

Switch the no.1 selling hardware in a week where a new Monster Hunter releases for a different system

To be fair: Said system is almost exactly 6 years old already, so chances are pretty high MH fans would have gotten it by now.

Vita has been less than 10k for awhile now. How is switch eating it's audience when the top sellers are Zelda and 12 switch.

It's consistently lower than it was a few weeks ago. Maybe it's just time of year, but previously something like Accel World would've at least bumped it above 10k. Don't see how it's going to get better from here either.

And Minecraft sales have continually reduced in recent weeks too.

Will Vita be selling anything next year at this rate?

Why would you have expected the Vita to outsell the 3DS next year? 3DS should be really cheap next year, plus Dragon Quest...

Well it would be first time in gaming history that Nintendos console outlasts Sonys same gen offering. PS3 even outlived two Nintendo gens. It seems Vita was just too big failure to have that traditional late gen tail of Sonys consoles.

ChaosXVI

Glad to see the Switch is still doing well over there. I have to imagine Nintendo would be willing to dabble in whatever blood magic is necessary to get Splatoon 2 out to Japan before the hype for the system starts to quiet down.

Well it would be first time in gaming history that Nintendos console outlasts Sonys same gen offering. PS3 even outlived two Nintendo gens. It seems Vita was just too big failure to have that traditional late gen tail of Sonys consoles.
There has been a break in tradition of Nintendo's portables having a backwards compatible successor, which will probably help.

L~A

Combined, both versions of Zelda: BoTW have sold 336 396 (not counting digital). Wii U version should end up north of 100k, and Switch is definitely reaching 300k in the upcoming weeks. 400k is in the bag, 500k remains to be seen but I think it can get there in the long run.

test_account

XP-39C²
And I'd love to know where all those Switch units are coming from, ha ha.
Probably China and Philippines :)

Seriously though, its not that strange that a company are able to ship units each week, no?

RIP MonHun amirite? Good SW numbers overall this week.
Good HW for Switch, nice boost for 3DS too considering the userbase.
I dont think anyone said RIP Monster Hunter :p Series seems to be in decline, but still solid sales in general.

with 2 new releases for PS4, i dont think we can call this week as a week to determine baseline
How much do you think the PS4 would have sold if it wasnt for those two releases? And when will be able to determine the PS4 baseline?

Tonyx

Low(ish) numbers for a Monster Hunter game. Maybe people are holding out for a Switch version?

Or could just be that people are not too fond of Gen/X.

BotW sales are almost at Skyward Swords sales? That's good news.

It's definitely somewhere in that region right now:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...s_Than_320K_In_Its_Japanese_Holiday_Debut.php

Couple of weeks more, and Breath of the Wild's Switch version should be above it - and I suspect it will have a much longer set of legs over the lifespan of the console.

Edit:
How is that possible that, at this price point, 1-2 Switch is outselling Bomberman by so much?

Because it's been the greater focus of Nintendo's marketing, as a showcase of the console's built-in local multiplayer capabilities?

How is that possible that, at this price point, 1-2 Switch is outselling Bomberman by so much?

bizarre party games are easier to share with people who don't care about video games than more conventional multiplayer games. also the prominent role in marketing.

Eolz

There aren't enough Switches made to make up the drop in MH numbers yet, Capcom knows what they're doing this time.

That is true for forecasts, I just mean Switch couldn't have moved the needle much.

Disagreed. Look at MonHun 3G at WiiU's launch.
Would have been a nice bonus and started building the userbase as well. All of that for a cheap upres port.

I dont think anyone said RIP Monster Hunter :p Series seems to be in decline, but still solid sales in general.

Some did, but like those (hopefully), my post was a joke about this :p
Of course MonHun will be fine. Still, bad predictions and strategy from Capcom.

hiska-kun

PS3 VS PS4 (Graph prolonged, now will last until the end of the year)
ps4_zpss8gtdocg.jpg

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   PlayStation 3   |   PlayStation 4   |  Difference  | 
|    |    (2006/11/11)   |    (2014/02/22)   |              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   PS4 - PS3  | 
| 159|   34.752|3.859.969|   37.807|4.482.738|       622.769|
| 160|   46.558|3.906.527|   35.300|4.518.038|       611.511| 
| 161|   57.782|3.964.309|   34.628|4.552.666|       588.357| 
| 162|   75.086|4.039.395|         |         |              |  
| 163|  237.086|4.276.481|         |         |              |  
| 164|  110.519|4.387.000|         |         |              |  
| 165|  114.367|4.501.367|         |         |              |  
| 166|   61.591|4.562.958|         |         |              | 
| 167|   35.156|4.598.114|         |         |              | 
| 168|   26.966|4.625.080|         |         |              | 
| 169|   34.431|4.659.511|         |         |              |
| 170|   25.450|4.684.961|         |         |              |

Switch Launch Vs Others
switch_zpskj2fcarl.jpg

Code:
+--+----------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|  |    3DS   |    PSV   |    WIU   |    PS4   |    NSW   |
| 1|   374.764|   324.859|   308.142|   309.154|   329.152|
| 2|   209.623|    72.479|   126.916|    65.685|    61.998|
| 3|    96.463|    42.648|   122.843|    35.294|    49.913|
| 4|    61.394|    42.915|    69.386|    29.677|          |
| 5|    50.710|    18.361|    67.083|    30.201|          |
| 6|    42.979|    15.219|    20.715|    23.327|          |
| 7|    32.910|    18.942|    16.654|    13.401|          |
| 8|    28.252|    17.141|    13.746|    13.034|          |
| 9|    23.038|    13.939|    12.959|    14.396|          |
|10|    28.413|    12.309|    12.185|    12.712|          |
|11|    29.149|    11.186|    10.744|    11.486|          |
|12|    18.324|    10.023|     9.633|     8.480|          |

Mario Maker Race for the million (next week)
maker_zpsjb2azpyb.jpg

Pokemon XY VS SunMoon (same pace at the moment)
pkmweek_zpsgg6uq4kb.jpg

L~A

Thanks for the Pokémon graph, hiska-kun. Looks like there's nothing much to see at the moment.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That is true for forecasts, I just mean Switch couldn't have moved the needle much.

There is no way now to find out if that's true or not. A one year late port of 3G on Wii sold 200k. A hypothetical XX also on Switch would get a big push with the lack of software at Switch launch.

Top Bottom