• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2012 (Apr 09 - Apr 15)

Meier

Very impressive how steady the sales of the "Big 3" have been. Kid Icarus has slid right in and held strong.

KH3D sales remain disappointing.. you have to wonder if right now the sales are almost spread too thin? Who knows.. obviously no consolation for Square either way. I would be very surprised if it didn't sell at least 1 million units here in the US though.

Also, Kingdom Hearts sales are being hurt by install base (and all the other things said). We didn't expect MH3G to sell as good or better than the PSP MHs, so why should KH?
No. It has nothing to do with userbase.

We expected TríG to do worse because it was a continuation of the lesser-played console series.

Alrus

Very impressive how steady the sales of the "Big 3" have been. Kid Icarus has slid right in and held strong.

KH3D sales remain disappointing.. you have to wonder if right now the sales are almost spread too thin? Who knows.. obviously no consolation for Square either way. I would be very surprised if it didn't sell at least 1 million units here in the US though.

1 million in the US is incredibly optimistic I think... The franchise has faded quite a bit recently...

aknbad30

Banned
I'm soooo ready for Panic Mode Sony. I hope they go all out. Price drop n all....lol
Sony should just announce that from now on every game being made for PS3 is also being made for Vita with cross-compatibility.
E3 will be fantastic.

darkwing

I'm soooo ready for Panic Mode Sony. I hope they go all out. Price drop n all....lol
Sony should just announce that from now on every game being made for PS3 is also being made for Vita with cross-compatibility.
E3 will be fantastic.

when did Sony go into panic mode early anyway

pramath

Banned
I don't think we've seen panic mode Sony. That's why it's so interesting to think of what it would be like.

If the PS3 didn't kick Sony into panic mode, what reason do we have to believe they're going to enter it now?
Just a rhetorical question

botty

Banned

We expected TríG to do worse because it was a continuation of the lesser-played console series.

Are you telling me if TriG was released on PSP it would have sold just as much as it did on 3DS? I'm not saying the Kingdom Hearts numbers are good for the 3DS install base, they are bad, but saying it has nothing to do with its poor sales seems like an oversight.

Said it before, I'll say it again: The "Panic Mode Nintendo" meme is mostly bullshit, with the obvious exception of the price drop itself and maybe some of the bundles. All the software that turned 3DS' fortunes around last year (and much of what's been released this year) was in development well before Nintendo had any hardware sales figures to react to.

Similarly, Sony's ability to turn Vita around will depend largely on what yet-unannounced software they were able to secure before the abysmal sales figures came in.

Michan

Congrats to Super Mario 3D Land, which has hit 1.5 million!

Fkz7n.png

It should take Mario 64 in mid-June.

Kusagari

Said it before, I'll say it again: The "Panic Mode Nintendo" meme is mostly bullshit, with the obvious exception of the price drop itself and maybe some of the bundles. All the software that turned 3DS' fortunes around last year (and much of what's been released this year) was in development well before Nintendo had any hardware sales figures to react to.

Similarly, Sony's ability to turn Vita around will depend largely on what yet-unannounced software they were able to secure before the abysmal sales figures came in.

If they had this magical software they should have announced it by now.

Anybody with a brain knew that people dooming the 3DS were dumb because Nintendo announced huge 3rd party games when they announced the system.

The Vita's been out for months now in Japan and we still know shit.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Sony is usually slow to react. I don't doubt that there are a bunch of games in development for the Vita, but it needs to come out fast. Price drop without a bunch of killer titles on the horizon is useless. Nintendo approached it the right way, Sony needs to do the same.

There being very few big vita games is fine, first year and all, but there being very few big vita announcements, even far away on the horizon is downright bizarre. How exactly were sony expecting this to sell well?

Erm no, not really.
Or do you think MHP 4th would have sold 4 million copies on 3DS ?

Not at the time of TriG's release.

Are you telling me if TriG was released on PSP it would have sold just as much as it did on 3DS? I'm not saying the Kingdom Hearts numbers are good for the 3DS install base, they are bad, but saying it has nothing to do with its poor sales seems like an oversight.

I think I might have misunderstood what you were saying. Are we talking about size of userbase or demographic? I took it to mean demographic.

Bruno MB

20/04/90 [NFC] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - ? / 329.000
14/03/92 [NFC] Fire Emblem Gaiden - ? / 325.000
21/01/94 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - ? / 776.000
14/05/96 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Holy War Story - 228.578 / 429.763 (498.000 from sinobi)
28/08/99 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 30.104 / 158.695
29/03/02 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword - 126.267 / 345.574
25/04/03 [GBA] Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - 109.429 / 265.286
07/10/04 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - 146.026 / 246.719
20/04/05 [GCN] Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 100.357 / 156.413
22/02/07 [WII] Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 73.337 / 171.924
07/08/08 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - 147.704 / 252.309
15/07/10 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow - 147.045 / 247.248

I hope Fire Emblem: Awakening is closer to Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword than the other portable entries that are all around 250k units.

I hope this dosn't affect the possibility of more 3DS high production portable games from S-E

I also hope that too.

Square Enix haven't found too much success in 3DS.

[3DS] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.11.02} (¥6.090) - 107,739

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090) - 112,344 (it should be around 135k)

[3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D -Dream Drop Distance- # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.03.29} (¥6.090) - 276,788

Hopefully Bravely Default: Flying Fairy and especially Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D will do better.

Cygnus X-1

20/04/90 [NFC] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - ? / 329.000
14/03/92 [NFC] Fire Emblem Gaiden - ? / 325.000
21/01/94 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - ? / 776.000
14/05/96 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Holy War Story - 228.578 / 429.763 (498.000 from sinobi)
28/08/99 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 30.104 / 158.695
29/03/02 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword - 126.267 / 345.574
25/04/03 [GBA] Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - 109.429 / 265.286
07/10/04 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - 146.026 / 246.719
20/04/05 [GCN] Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 100.357 / 156.413
22/02/07 [WII] Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 73.337 / 171.924
07/08/08 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - 147.704 / 252.309
15/07/10 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow - 147.045 / 247.248

It was a quite huge franchise back on SNES. For this episode to be success, it should at least outsell Shadow Dragon and possibly beat The Sealed Sword.

Chunky

I think if SE do their usual KH re-release when the 3DS library's a bit more RPG fertile, they would have a decent chance of closing in on previous entries' sales. Hopefully it does a lot better than BBS in the west, that'd be embarrassing otherwise...

No, it is entirely userbase. The only reason 3rd sold more than Tri was the platform it was on- the games are near identical.

Meier

1 million in the US is incredibly optimistic I think... The franchise has faded quite a bit recently...

Hard to say. It should continue to do well around Christmas I assume as it's ultimately a Disney game. It will do well with younger audiences based off parents' purchases.

If they had this magical software they should have announced it by now.

Anybody with a brain knew that people dooming the 3DS were dumb because Nintendo announced huge 3rd party games when they announced the system.

The Vita's been out for months now in Japan and we still know shit.

Well, if James Mielke says the software is coming, then it must be true.
In his mind, at least.

But seriously, I'm giving Sony until TGS. If the announced software lineup hasn't improved dramatically by then, it'll be pretty safe to say that a turnaround isn't going to happen.

Hmmm? They dropped it by $100 in June/July 2007, but the next price cut was not until 2008 IIRC (it was also $100)

In Europe it went straight from 599&#8364; to 399&#8364;. If I also remember right they phased out 20gb model shortly after launch in US too so price drop was practically from $599 to $399 in US also. Not to mention that they made huge losses per sold console so it really was panic price drop.

Cygnus X-1

But it's infinitely better in terms of sales potential.

After Fire Emblem (this week), I can see Dragon Quest Monsters; maybe Mario Tennis (the last portable one sold roughly 200k) and maybe Rune Factory 4 (the no. 3 sold roughly 100k).

So...I don't see the schedule being that great.

Edit: Mario Tennis on 3DS is NOT a remake. Sorry for the confusion.

I hope Fire Emblem: Awakening is closer to Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword than the other portable entries that are all around 250k units.

I also hope that too.

Square Enix haven't found too much success in 3DS.

[3DS] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.11.02} (¥6.090) - 107,739

[3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.02.16} (¥6.090) - 112,344 (it should be around 135k)

[3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D -Dream Drop Distance- # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.03.29} (¥6.090) - 276,788

Hopefully Bravely Default: Flying Fairy and especially Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D will do better.
Rocket slime hasnt sold too badly for thr series and certainly relative to the effort put into the game i'd say it did well, theatrythem is doing very well for a game that only shipped 70k first week

pramath

Banned
In Europe it went straight from 599&#8364; to 399&#8364;. If I also remember right they phased out 20gb model shortly after launch in US too so price drop was practically from $599 to $399 in US too.

They introduced 80 GB and 40 GB models to replace the older ones, and they retained the price structure post the price drop ($399 for the cheaper one, $499 for the more expensive one).
The price drop was just $100 overall- it wasn't until AFTER MGS4 that Sony did another price cut.
I don't know much about EU though, so I'll just defer to you about that.

After Fire Emblem (this week), I can see Dragon Quest Monsters; maybe Mario Tennis (the last portable one sold roughly 200k, but this is a remake...) and maybe Rune Factory 4 (the no. 3 sold roughly 100k).

I may be misreading this, but...
Mario Tennis is a remake?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
After Fire Emblem (this week), I can see Dragon Quest Monsters; maybe Mario Tennis (the last portable one sold roughly 200k, but this is a remake...) and maybe Rune Factory 4 (the no. 3 sold roughly 100k).

Wut.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vita Game Heaven
E3
TGS
So in other words you think that it is likely that many games for the japanese market will be announced at E3? This isnt Vita exclusive, it goes for every system. How many japanese centric games have been announced at E3? Is it common?

Gaborn

Well, if James Mielke says the software is coming, then it must be true.
In his mind, at least.

But seriously, I'm giving Sony until TGS. If the announced software lineup hasn't improved dramatically by then, it'll be pretty safe to say that a turnaround isn't going to happen.

I guess the problem I see is, realistically what software could be announced that will "save" the PSV? Do you see any reason for Capcom to give them a monster hunter at this point? Or Square to go all in with a FF title? (assuming you think that would make a difference). I'm not sure I have confidence in any particular title that I realistically see being announced making a significant difference. Which to me suggests it would have to come from a new franchise/unknown title and we all know THOSE are a crapshoot.

I thought mario tennis is a new game not a remake? All of those games will outsell everything so far released or announced for vita

Taiko no Tatsujin always sold well on DS (the first two are over 600k); the entry on 3DS should do fairly well. Also: Etrian Odyssey IV is an almost sure +100k.

But the fact is that many 3DS games which have already been released are still in the chart, and probably will be in the next months. The overall line-up is pretty good so far.

Top Bottom