• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2012 (Apr 09 - Apr 15)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
After Fire Emblem (this week), I can see Dragon Quest Monsters; maybe Mario Tennis (the last portable one sold roughly 200k, but this is a remake...) and maybe Rune Factory 4 (the no. 3 sold roughly 100k).

So...I don't see the schedule being that great.

You seem pretty well informed.

And, yeah. Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, Mario Tennis, Rune Factory 4, plus Dynasty Warriors versus Persona 4 ("but this is a remake..."). You do the math.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Holy crap. Wrong. I confused the game with the Wii remake. Sorry. Reasoning holds anyway. It can aim at 200k LTD roughly.

Triple that LTD.

:p ...And not so much joking: if a porting on Wii did over 200k, released when it wasn't hot as earlier, what can a brand new installment on the hottest platform now do?

watershed

Banned
I hope SE will continue to bring games like Thearhthym, Bravely Default and other quirky, kinda different games to the 3ds like they did on the ds. I don't mind if SE is turned off the idea of putting big franchises on the 3ds as a result of KH3D
as long as DQXI is made for the 3ds.

Chunky

Congrats to Super Mario 3D Land, which has hit 1.5 million!

Fkz7n.png

It should take Mario 64 in mid-June.

It really is a testament to how well Nintendo treats this franchise when the second and third best-selling titles aren't pack ins and are released 25 years after the original. Any other company and we'd have 3D Mario left in a bin bag by the river and a 2D Mario every year.

Cygnus X-1

Taiko no Tatsujin always sold well on DS (the first two are over 600k); the entry on 3DS should do fairly well.

I forgot about this one. You're right, though the two games you're mentioning came out in 2007 and 2008 respectively. A third one came out in 2010 on DS and sold roughly 400k. Additionally, two other iterations came out on PSP and Wii recently (2011) and sold both around 250k. So, I wonder if the series will be able to recover on 3DS.

Spiegel

Rocket slime hasnt sold too badly for thr series and certainly relative to the effort put into the game i'd say it did well,

S-E shipped 139k in the first week and the game sold 94k (M-C numbers) in 2011. The GBA/DS versions sold more than double of that in the same amount of time.

It did badly for the series.

I forgot about this one. You're right, though the two games you're mentioning came out in 2007 and 2008 respectively. A third one came out in 2010 on DS and sold roughly 400k. Additionally, two other iterations came out on PSP and Wii recently (2011) and sold both around 250k. So, I wonder if the series will be able to recover on 3DS.

Still a pretty big franchise, right?
On DS and Wii it was clearly franchise fatigue (one entry per year is just too much), while on PSP it performed well considering the differences in the userbase.

It was a 3D Mario game on a system that barely cracked a 4 million LTD. I'm surprised it ended up selling as much as it did.

But from what I can recall Super smash bros melee did sell quite decently, although it was released in the launch-window term, and other games as well such as Animal crossing or Mario golf fared well considering the userbase.

In all honesty I was not aware that Sunshine sold that poorly in Japan(on the other hand it did well in EU/NA IIRC), considering it was a mainline Mario game.

S-E shipped 139k in the first week and the game sold 94k (M-C numbers) in 2011. The GBA/DS versions sold more than double of that in the same amount of time.

It did badly for the series.

Oh my mistake, i thought it was only about 140k for the ds one, still it did well for the level of effort put in

pramath

Banned
But from what I can recall Super smash bros melee did sell quite decently, although it was released in the launch-window term, and other games as well such as Animal crossing or Mario tennis fared well considering the userbase.

In all honesty I was not aware that Sunshine sold that poorly in Japan(on the other hand it did well in EU/NA IIRC).

There are a couple of things:

a) Super Smash Bros is a massive seller. It's always been a massive seller. I don't think many other franchises come close in Japan, especially not 3D Mario. Which brings me to my next point...

b) It was a 3D Mario game. Mario games in general weren't selling as well as they used to (remember, the franchise was revitalized with NSMB on the DS in 2006), because 3D Mario games don't go down well with Japanese audiences.

c) Not only was it a 3D Mario game, it was the worst 3D Mario game- it had a lot of negativity post release, and bad word of mouth.

All these factors, coupled with the GCN's miniscule install base, cumulatively contributed to low game sales, I think In spite of all of this, Sunshine managed 800k LTD if I am not wrong, which is nothing to scoff at.

They introduced 80 GB and 40 GB models to replace the older ones, and they retained the price structure post the price drop ($399 for the cheaper one, $499 for the more expensive one).
The price drop was just $100 overall- it wasn't until AFTER MGS4 that Sony did another price cut.
I don't know much about EU though, so I'll just defer to you about that.

In Europe they never introduced 499€ model so price drop was from 599€->399€. Hmm. I must remember wrongly the US situation then. I remember they launched with with price points of $499 and $599. Then phased 20gb model out (probably took too much losses from it) and then in the fall they introduced 40gb model with price of $399 and 80gb model with price of $499. So cheapest PS3 went from $599 to $399 in under a year as I wouldn't count 20gb model as there were so limited amount of those.

Spiegel

Oh my mistake, i thought it was only about 140k for the ds one, still it did well for the level of effort put in

The slime series (and to be fair, everything DQ related except DQSwords and DQ8) have always looked ugly, boring, uninspired and low budget to me, so I really can't tell why these games continue to sell (or not sell) from one installment to the next.

The slime series (and to be fair, everything DQ related except DQSwords and DQ8) have always looked ugly, boring, uninspired and low budget to me, so I really can't tell why these games continue to sell (or not sell) from one installment to the next.

But to release it looking like a low budget ds game is just hilariously bad

pramath

Banned
In Europe they never introduced 499€ model so price drop was from 599€->399€. Hmm. I must remember wrongly the US situation then. I remember they launched with with price points of $499 and $599. Then phased 20gb model out (probably took too much losses from it) and then in the fall they introduced 40gb model with price of $399 and 80gb model with price of $499. So cheapest PS3 went from $599 to $399 in under a year as I wouldn't count 20gb model as there were so limited amount of those.

Ah. That was a much heftier price drop than the US one then.
I think they phased out the 20GB model not because they were taking too many losses from it, but because they wanted to sell the 60GB ones. They never pushed the 20GB units, they stocked the stores with 60GB SKUs, then phased out (and subsequently replaced) the 20GB ones quietly.

Remember, my memory about the PS3's US price drops and SKU introductions/reintroductions is vague itself. The situation was a complete clusterfuck, and I hardly think there's anyone around who remembers it accurately.

GCX

Fire Emblem sales will be interesting. Nintendo seems to be giving it a lot more push than for the DS entries.

Swords was even more low-budget than Slime 3, imo.

Chunky

Have you played any of them?

saichi

slimes are super popular in Japan...

Truth101

Banned

Sounds like you have never played any of them. Uninspired? haha

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
04/19
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
04/26
Ciel Nosurge: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta
NextRev: Eibunpou Tettei Tokkun
05/24
NextRev: Gyouseishoshi Shiken
Samurai & Dragons (Deluxe Package)
06/07
Hello Kitty to Issho: Block Crash V
Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed Battle Destiny
06/14
Persona 4: The Golden
Super Monkey Ball: Tokumori AsoVita!
06/28
Metal Gear Solid HD Edition
NextRev: IT Passport Shiken
NextRev: Kihonjouhou Gijutsusha Shiken
NextRev: Ouyou Jouhougijutsusha Shiken

Will be interesting to compare MGS HD with 3D.

I guess the problem I see is, realistically what software could be announced that will "save" the PSV? Do you see any reason for Capcom to give them a monster hunter at this point? Or Square to go all in with a FF title?

No and no, but I'm not the one making optimistic predictions about Vita's future software.

Spiegel

Have you played any of them?

Yes, I've played many DQ. I'm not saying you have to share my feelings about DQ and that certainly wasn't the point of the conversation between franky and me.

Will be interesting to compare MGS HD with 3D.

MGS HD sold 58k on PS3 in the first week, so as the Vita userbase is more than 10 times lower than the PS3 at this point we can't expect the game to sell better than 5.8k in the first week

!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MGS HD sold 58k on PS3 in the first week, so as the Vita userbase is more than 10 times lower than the PS3 at this point we can't expect the game to sell better than 5.8k in the first week

!

What's MGS3D's LTD?

milanbaros

Member?
Can someone explain the monster hunter series please? The ones titles 'portable' seem to do much better than the console versions. Is MH4 a sequel to MHP3 or MH3?

Yes, I've played many DQ. I'm not saying you have to share my feelings about DQ and that certainly wasn't the point of the conversation between franky and me.

!

I say 5.2k

Bruno MB

Swords was even more low-budget than Slime 3, imo.

I still can't believe that Square Enix didn't release a sequel after selling half a million units, that company is a fucking joke.

By the way, Dragon Quest: Swords is my fifth most-played Wii game, I really enjoyed it for what it was. Unfortunately I never managed to kill the 3 purple mirror bosses.

squall23

Robot Wars has a bigger LTD than Kingdom Hearts
:lol

Is this normal?
Depends on the the SRW and KH. Normally, a high profile SRW should be on average 300k+ first week, highest ever was 500k+ first week. So this is pretty low even if it is beating out KH, which is also kind of low.

Truth101

Banned
Can someone explain the monster hunter series please? The ones titles 'portable' seem to do much better than the console versions. Is MH4 a sequel to MHP3 or MH3?

They do better because they are on handhelds not because of the portable moniker.

MH4 is a sequel to Tri/3G, but is on a handheld so it should do more in-line with the PSP MH titles.

Kyou

basically the straight numbered ones are the first releases and the "G"s and "Portable"s and such are remixes where they add stuff.

muu

Fire Emblem sales will be interesting. Nintendo seems to be giving it a lot more push than for the DS entries.

Looking at the TVCM they're trying damn hard to attract the 'PSP audience' in addition to traditional FE users. I mean, this is borderline dating sim stuff they're showing on that last ad.

Top Bottom