• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2012 (Apr 09 - Apr 15)

Kid Ying

I forgot about this one. You're right, though the two games you're mentioning came out in 2007 and 2008 respectively. A third one came out in 2010 on DS and sold roughly 400k. Additionally, two other iterations came out on PSP and Wii recently (2011) and sold both around 250k. So, I wonder if the series will be able to recover on 3DS.
It's always like this with Taiko. The first one in a new console is always the one who sells the most. The PS2 had so many that i remember one selling like 30k, but it still ended selling almost 700k when it made the transition to Wii.

It's a game people like to play in their homes, but don't like that much to buy yearly releases.

I didn't know that until just now, when someone in the Smash Bros thread corrected me. :)

To be fair, when Iwata announced both games at last E3, I was under the impression Sakurai was caught off-guard, indeed he said he hadn't started working on it yet.

I have no idea about how Sakurai will manage to develop both games together, differentiating them one from each other and at the same time keeping them up to the level of the series' quality standards, either way they couldn't overlap them, as that would have hampered WiiU's version - let alone it has always been a home-console system seller also as it was exclusive -, besides with cross-platforms feature they intend to take advantage of Smash Bros' huge popularity to bring it over to handhelds, ideally without splitting userbase but doubling sales(that's still a risk they're taking imo though, one's sales may hurt other's eventually somehow).

So, vita will probably see noticeable gains in sales when Persona comes out? Is that the general consensus? Anyone know how the previous Persona's sold?

04/19
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
04/26
Ciel Nosurge: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta
NextRev: Eibunpou Tettei Tokkun
05/24
NextRev: Gyouseishoshi Shiken
Samurai & Dragons (Deluxe Package)
06/07
Hello Kitty to Issho: Block Crash V
Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed Battle Destiny
06/14
Persona 4: The Golden
Super Monkey Ball: Tokumori AsoVita!
06/28
Metal Gear Solid HD Edition
NextRev: IT Passport Shiken
NextRev: Kihonjouhou Gijutsusha Shiken
NextRev: Ouyou Jouhougijutsusha Shiken

Don't want to jinx anything but this is a pretty MEH line up.

Edit: sales perspective wise.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Those GCN Naruto sales have me wondering if Tomy/8ing should make a return to the GNT series for 3DS?

I fear Naruto has lost a lot of its appeal from the PS2 era. We're seeing it with the CyberConnect 2 releases, no? And the last ones on Wii did pretty bad.

The problem with Persona is that it won't change Vita's fate, and its effect won't last for more than two weeks.

It should debut with 100k+ and open some eyes though.

Hero

Oh I am serious. GNT4 is probably the best licensed fighting game ever. The only thing 3 has over it is dpad support and no load time filled character select wheel.

Funny thing people never remember about the Naruto GCN games was that the announcement of the first game was the originator of the Megaton meme. People laughed at the idea of it being a big deal but for GCN's pathetic 3rd party support it pretty much was.

I was so into Naruto back in the day that I ordered GNT2 when I modded my Gamecube, had some fun with it. Little did I know this was right before GNT3 came out so I got that afterwards and for some reason all my friends really clicked with this game, even though half of them weren't into Naruto at all. But GNT4 really propelled the series into legitimate fighting game levels. The surprising amount of depth with combos, guard breaks, cancels, mix-ups, etc is just staggering for a licensed game. We still play it every now and then. I would kill for a Wii U port and no load/lag time on the wheel character select screen.

I fear Naruto has lost a lot of its appeal from the PS2 era. We're seeing it with the CyberConnect 2 releases, no? And the last ones on Wii did pretty bad.
Well sure, I wouldn't expect a return to GNT to mean return to 300-400k sales. At the same time though, I'd have to think it'd probably mean better sales than the franchise is seeing now (sub 100k). Plus GCN to 3DS seems like an smooth fit hardware wise and 8ing seems to have already mastered the latter (Tri G). I dunno, just seems like there's an opportunity for something here.

Kid Icarus and Harvest Moon showing nice legs.

Off on a nice wee trot hopefully! KI I just want to do as well as possible.
Both should do reasonably well in the long term.

Top 5 GCN games by Famitsu

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee 1,349,418
2. Mario Party 4 902,348
3. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! 825,894
4. Super Mario Sunshine 789,989
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 742,609

Top third party game
15. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 3 404,951

Least the Zelda franchise did well I suppose!

The sadness I'm feeling over the Vita's sales performance is very similar to the kind I had watching the Gamecube flounder.

Meh. I think Vita is worse, least GC went the full run - mostly because Nintendo's business model made it work well together (which is why I've always found the NINTENDO DOOMED stuff hilarious). Vita? I just don't know what can do well on it :/

Sony don't deserve it as much as say PS3's early problems; but its still their own fault - how many people pointed out the problems with a PSP-2 (as in the same formula of high performance).

They should have done a Tablet. They really really should have - I might even by a Sony Tablet and am generally not a Sony customer since the brilliant PS2. Look to the Wii-U and see Tablets should not be 100% touch screen, its stupid and counter-productive for a lot of things.
A touch screen with neat controls (you could easily have them push down into the system when not in use) and your sorted.

The Vita was just never...wanted by the mass market...

My things to watch out for the coming weeks:
- Fire Emblem, is there a problem with the 3DS that can explain the KH sales, we'll see it here - I doubt it strongly, but still. This is the most soon test of it (theres other things that point out the system/userbase is fine and its KH's problem; but a strong FE will put any counter-arguement to bed)
- 'Golden Week' - is there a problem in the general gaming market in Japan.

The above are just things am interested in, not because I think there ARE problems, but because I just want to see the general 'health' of things.

- Vita boost for GW? If not then we are in a serious 'niche' scenario!
- KI:U boost in GW? HOPE SO.

Also bloody hell, I wonder if Mario 3D Land will stick in there for Christmas!
And whilst KH are pretty dire sales...there not dire in the general sense of no demand for the games...really its a decent sign that KH 3 is required ASAP. Which really isn't unlike Hardware Life cycles. If KH3 is the next part of the series it'll be interesting to see if it rebounds.

EDIT: All this anti-Sony talk is a bit silly, Vita is dead but PSP is doing pretty well considering everything!

PSP(2011 YTD)= 702,547
PSP+PSV(2012)=525,629

Looking ahead to Week 16, PSP did 49,427 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=1,259,929
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=1,407,818

Looking ahead to week 16, 3DS+DS did 36,599 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=1,962,476
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=1,933,447

donny2112

theres other things that point out the system/userbase is fine and its KH's problem; but a strong FE will put any counter-arguement to bed

It's Nintendo, so it doesn't count. The jab is that third-party games don't sell as well as they should on 3DS, not that just games, in general, don't sell as well as they should.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
[3DS] Dynasty Warriors Vs. <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.090)

Why do I feel like this game is going to bomb so very hard?

Because it probably will - i would be surprised if it sells as much as Samurai Warriors Chronicles.

test_account

XP-39C²
They should have done a Tablet. They really really should have - I might even by a Sony Tablet and am generally not a Sony customer since the brilliant PS2. Look to the Wii-U and see Tablets should not be 100% touch screen, its stupid and counter-productive for a lot of things.
A touch screen with neat controls (you could easily have them push down into the system when not in use) and your sorted.

The Vita was just never...wanted by the mass market...
Honestly i think a Playstation tablet would have flopped. First it has to compete with the already big flow of tablets already out there and being released. Then you have to sell "tablet games" for $30 - $40, which is not easy in the tablet market. Then there is also the price of the device itself. We're probably looking at a pricetag of $350 - $400 minimum.

EDIT: All this anti-Sony talk is a bit silly, Vita is dead but PSP is doing pretty well considering everything!
I'm more surprised over how long this discussion lasted. First it was months of talk with the 3DS, then all the articles about smartphones/tables taking over, then finally the Vita. Basically all talk about the same things for over a year. This talk will probably contunie for more months, and then there is a potential about the same talk when the WiiU comes out.

I dont want to sound offensive or anything, people can discuss whatever they want of course, nothing wrong with that. I'm just surprised over how long this discussion have been going on.

also

Banned
To be fair, when Iwata announced both games at last E3, I was under the impression Sakurai was caught off-guard, indeed he said he hadn't started working on it yet.
This time Iwata didn't make the announcement out of the blue, like he did with Brawl. He discussed it with Sakurai beforehand and it was Sakurai himself that decided to develop both versions simultaneously.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm so seeing Fire Emblem debuting better than Kingdom Hearts.

Kandinsky

So PD announcement had no impact on Vita, expected but still sad. Also wow and I thought KH3D would sell more then BBS what the hell happened here?.

I haven't played KH3D, but doesn't it sort of have a story that sets itself up for another non-KH3 game or at least a game
that doesn't star Sora which could be an issue for sales
? That's what some have said about the game.

Chunky

So PD announcement had no impact on Vita, expected but still sad. Also wow and I thought KH3D would sell more then BBS what the hell happened here?.
Probably a combination of franchise fatigue, lack of RPG's on 3DS and the questionable quality of past Nintendo KH's.

^^
you got it :D

Cygnus X-1

It's Nintendo, so it doesn't count. The jab is that third-party games don't sell as well as they should on 3DS, not that just games, in general, don't sell as well as they should.

I noticed that from the attach rate, which is between 2 and 2.5. Quite bad, though I expect it to improve during next months.

PSP(2011 YTD)= 702,547
PSP+PSV(2012)=525,629

Looking ahead to Week 16, PSP did 49,427 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=1,259,929
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=1,407,818

Looking ahead to week 16, 3DS+DS did 36,599 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=1,962,476
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=1,933,447

These numbers say lot of things, but most of all they confirm a suspect I was having recently.
De facto the expansion of the gaming population is quite over and the growth of 3DS for now is quite done at the expenses of Vita and PSP.

boingball

the gap between Wii and VITA shrinks... intense competition

and 360 still beats PS2!

And what a depressing Vita lineup in the coming months. With that lineup it will go past the Wii in no time and perhaps join the 360/PS2 club (well, it should not become that bad).

sphinx

the piano man
by this point in the Gamecube's life, it had already had a signifcant price discount, is that right?

in such circumstances is hard to compare things.

If prices would have remained the same we could actually see which one is/was failing harder but Vita remains at its initial price so comparison is a bit moot..

sphinx

the piano man
Gamecube did not have a price cut for ~9months.

2001/9/14: 25,000Yen
2002/6/3: 19,800Yen

Then I wonder what caused the spike in GCN Sales by the 17th week, I thought it was a price cut, was it Smash bros? or a regular holiday bump?

any case, Ouch Vita, pretty embarrasing.

boingball

I'm soooo ready for Panic Mode Sony. I hope they go all out. Price drop n all....

The problem is:
Sony is in panic mode. On their chemical plants and television business.
No one cares about the Playstation business in the moment since it is not making huge losses.

muu

In more recent times, Wonderswan is worse. Not sure about older retro systems.

Is it really? I couldn't find an actual sales graph, but system was released in March and had sold million units by end of July (though another source says it was units shipped), Wonderswan color released in December and had shipped 750K by end of January. Haven't been able to find actual weekly sales graphs, but there's a good possibility that Vita is lagging behind Wonderswan.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is it really? I couldn't find an actual sales graph, but system was released in March and had sold million units by end of July (though another source says it was units shipped), Wonderswan color released in December and had shipped 750K by end of January. Haven't been able to find actual weekly sales graphs, but there's a good possibility that Vita is lagging behind Wonderswan.
Sorry, i mixed up with Wonderswan Color. No idea how Wonderswan sold to begin with.

NGP takes the (Famitsu) cake, sadly.
I see. What about Virtual Boy?

EDIT: Xbox 1 is also pretty bad, down to 4 digit number in its 4th week.

Celine

Since we are talking about some oldies.
Here a french article.

rprpV.jpg

Some of those figures are wrong IMO.

muu

There we go, weekly Wonderswan sales!
http://geimin.net/da/fa/501-600.php
(from Famitsu issue #537~ data)

Just adding up the first 20wks adds up to ~440k, which means that test_account was right. I stand corrected. Scary thinking that they had 500K+ unsold systems just sitting out there on the market though.

sphinx

the piano man
but come on.... the fact that the wonderswan is discussion material in regards to Vita is pathetic.

shouldn't it like.. get some games and stay a float like a .. PS3 in its early years?? why not fail like the PS3 or even gamecube? why fail like wonderswan? the fuck is going on.

darkwing

but come on.... the fact that the wonderswan is discussion material in regards to Vita is pathetic.

shouldn't it like.. get some games and stay a float like a .. PS3 in its early years?? why not fail like the PS3 or even gamecube? why fail like wonderswan? the fuck is going on.

with the PS3 we knew MGS, FF etc.. were coming with the trailers and everything, how about the Vita?

Top Bottom