• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

I'd say Zelda was a big factor for people buying it. Not many people expected it to go higher than the low 90s in Metacritic, then suddenly it just blows away everyone​'s expectations.

It's the Mario 64 of the Switch, with Bomberman being Wave Race.

Let's not get crazy here.

L~A

Is it not just a pre-Golden Week boost? I assumed that's why Bomberman sold slightly more and Zelda basically stayed flat.

But there's no "pre-Goldeen Week" boost. People buy games during the GW, not before (or after), it's not like Christmas where people start buying stuff early. Zelda sales are flat because Switch sales slightly increased this week. Same for Bomberman, though I'd say the good word of mouth (especially with update and DLC) is also helping.

YW3 Sukiyaki already made a comeback in the Top 20 during Week 15 (same week Ver. 3.0 launched).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'd say Zelda was a big factor for people buying it. Not many people expected it to go higher than the low 90s in Metacritic, then suddenly it just blows away everyone​'s expectations.

Yeah it plays a large part especially in the west. For the past 20 years the series has been in the shadow of OoT, and anyone invested in the series was hoping for a game eventually that would truly surpass it in reception. BotW was that game Zelda fans went from an interest to Nintendo having their attention. Also helps the Zelda was the literal progenitor of the current 3D open world craze.

saichi

Will mh be on PS4 with those kind of hardware sales ;)

It would be for the west so this kind of PS4 number wouldn't matter ;)

this is brilliant.

noshten

So, if Japan is getting around 50K a week, I wonder how much the Rest of the world is getting? 200K a week worldwide shipments? 800k-1m a month? How do those numbers sound, far too big?

I imagine Japan and America get the bulk, could the latter be getting bigger shipments than Japan?

Europe and rest of the World hasn't gotten large shipments since launch. I mean there have been restocks in Germany, France, UK and Spain but they haven't been substantial. My guess is that the majority of the initial shipments are going to US and Japan with the rest of the markets getting a similar amount to what US is getting. My guess is that the US might be getting larger shipments than Japan but not substantially larger. What leads me to think this is the Switch stock situation thread and PAL threads(I'm guessing weekly UK is getting between 5-10K and likely similar shipments are being made in other EU countries with France and Germany being around 10K).

With the launch of MK8D I'm thinking that Switch could be close to 4 million beginning of May if Nintendo has managed to ship that many consoles in the first two months. I'm going to predict something in the region of 500-650K for the April NPD, 200-300K in Europe and 400-450K in Japan for April. It really does depend on whether they are able to ship that many consoles for the month of April but if they do I don't see a reason why the sales wouldn't be close to 1-1.5 million for April due to the MK8D launch.

xequalsy

Yeah, you could see the hype begin to build with the Zelda previews/EDGE 10. Even left joycon gate didn't really slow it down.

Though honestly the Switch reveal was good too, it was just a slightly below par January conference that dampened it a bit.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, you could see the hype begin to build with the Zelda previews/EDGE 10. Even left joycon gate didn't really slow it down.

Though honestly the Switch reveal was good too, it was just a slightly below par January conference that dampened it a bit.

Yeah it had a freaking great trailer no doubt about that. Up there with riddle of steel twilight princess and it didn't manage it by leaning heavily on nostalgia.

Next games to beat are all around 600k: Spirit Tracks, OOT 3DS, and Twilight Princess.

Hmm Spirit Tracks is actually at 725k.

Depending on whether or not BoTW gets a boost from association with MK8D, it might be able to contest the titles at 600k by the end of May. If it doesn't really get a bump, then I do think the monthly sales will drop enough that it'll take some time into June or July.

Salex_

Discussion of unannounced MH games needs to banned, like, now. It's just sad at this point.

Sound like a good idea. Whenever I check the thread I see the same fanboy driven MH topic.

From Capcom's recent comments regarding MH and the fact from this point forward mainline titles will be HD, I don't think it's worth speculating.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So Nvidia has finally found an utility to this Tegra chip, haven't they?

Nvidia are laughing all the way to the bank right now. Like this is serious cocaine party level. Nintendo have already said they'll be using this for the next decade at least (which is obvious for the backward compatibility reasons). The Tegra chip is set for a few decades.

Branduil

I wonder if the relative popularity of the Switch in America and Europe could actually hinder it from beating the 3DS's first year in Japan. If the Switch continues to sell out everywhere, Japan is going to get a smaller percentage of shipments than they did with the 3DS, which is still far more popular in its native country than anywhere else.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wonder if the relative popularity of the Switch in America and Europe could actually hinder it from beating the 3DS's first year in Japan. If the Switch continues to sell out everywhere, Japan is going to get a smaller percentage of shipments than they did with the 3DS, which is still far more popular in its native country than anywhere else.

If they actually doubled their production they should have plenty for Japan.

oh cmon. they should be able to fix that stocking issue in the comming months.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Honestly that sounds like a good problem to have. As long as demand stays high, everything's going pretty well for the Switch imo.

Nvidia are laughing all the way to the bank right now. Like this is serious cocaine party level. Nintendo have already said they'll be using this for the next decade at least (which is obvious for the backward compatibility reasons). The Tegra chip is set for a few decades.

Man, hadn't even thought about that. The fact that Nintendo is basically guaranteed to use their tech has me kinda excited; the Tegra X1 was clearly a case of using what was available, spares for a system that didn't fly off shelves. Any future Tegra may be outright made with Nintendo's use case as the top priority.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It'll have an affect but by that point you'd hope Nintendo would have it's supply chain and stock management under control. I mean demand should be far easy to predict and they'd have the time towards the end of the year. it's pretty insane that the switch almost outsold 5 months of the 3Ds in the US though. If everything well, beating the 3DS's first year may well be possible.

Kureransu

I get it's actually cheaper in Japan by about thirty dollars, but still it's kinda amazing how Nintendo have been able to sell the value proposition on this thing.
is it though? The new 3ds xl is selling (well) for $170. 180 if you need an adapter. You really think it's a hard sell for the switch being 90-100 bucks more?

Celine

Post January conference almost the entire forum was down the device and not insignificant number thought it was DoA. Though this the same forum the completely misjudged wildlands, so it's par for course really. I don't really blame them I was fairly down on the thing myself.
Which is funny since the January conference highlighted well Nintendo's strategy for Switch.

Passose

Banned
Is there anyway that can help the ps4 right now, if things keep going like this it probably won't make it to the DQXI launch

Datschge

How many of the people in the credits are old Hudson Soft? For me those will always be Hudson soft people, not about to give Konami credit for something they only financed.

If it was all Konami.. then I don't get why they even bothered buying the damn studio.
Looking at the staff roll I'm not seeing any former Hudson staff. Though the Konami people heading the game are long time (> 2 decades) veterans with Kojima Productions background.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is there anyway that can help the ps4 right now, if things keep going like this it probably won't make it to the DQXI launch

What does it mean "it won't make it to the DQXI launch"? Is Sony going to retire the console just on Japanese sales alone before DQXI comes out? PS4's going to slip on a banana and break its legs before reaching DQXi's time? Are there some assassins hidden nearby PS4's house ready to kill it once it tries to approach DQXI?

No, seriously, I don't comprehend the meaning of "making it" in this context XD

vaporeon

Echoes seems to have done fine for a remake that came out of nowhere.

Fire Emblem output is getting way too saturated, I almost want (mainline?) FE Switch to be pushed back to 2019...

Top Bottom