• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2017 (Apr 24 - Apr 30)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
19./09. [PS4] PaRappa the Rapper Remastered <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.04.20} (¥1.800) - 3.144 / 9.198 <40-60%> (-48%)
25./10. [NSW] Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker <ACT> (Square Enix) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980) - 2.562 / 8.028 <40-60%> (-53%)

Small debuts, but at least it seems both games could have some (tiny) legs.

Yes
Normal shipment by ship take 30/35 calendar days from HK or yantau to middle Europe
I know they are shipping by plane now, doubling the costs, but still the logistics to land the products are longer than shipping to Japan

Gotcha, thanks. And also I think they said they were only shipping by plane during March, and have since gone back to sea travel.

I still think the end of May is the true test for the Switch. If the thing is still selling out in its weakest software period it is going to have an amazing year.

I hope Nintendo manages to ship a similar amount of Switch for this week before going back to 40-50k a week.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
graph.png

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Isn't mine craft coming out 0hyaically as well? It's just at a time in the future instead. I'm pretty sure they said that in the EU direct.

It is, later in the year
I think that MK in late April, retail Minecraft in may, with the unknown arms in June and Splatoon in July would have killed the market in a good way for the switch
Instead I think we will see sales slowling down significantly after Golden week and until splatoon if Arms won't take off

Annndddd MK8D didn't negatively effect BotW sales, and the sales actually increased (as did the hardware sales). MK will be evergreen as always expected, but I don't see it eating into BotW's evergreen status much, if any.

I still believe in BotW getting to 1million in japan by this time next year is still very much a possibility. I don't see it dropping out of the top 20 for a looonnngggg time.

Rob2K19

FF XV is now at 988k (physical) with Famitsu's numbers. Another 5 or so weeks of 2k or more and it'll finally reach 1m.

Zedark

Next week's numbers (meaning this week), which is Golden Week, no?
National holiday this week.

Alright, it's Golden Week, but I looked at the previous Golden Weeks (2014-2016) and they don't seem to give that big of a bump to hardware sales. It still doesn't seem logical to me that shipments would be higher this week than last week because I would think last week would be higher than a normal week before Golden Week due to MK8D launching.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It is, later in the year
I think that MK in late April, retail Minecraft in may, with the unknown arms in June and Splatoon in July would have killed the market in a good way for the switch
Instead I think we will see sales slowling down significantly after Golden week and until splatoon if Arms won't take off

I suspect you're worrying for nothing (again) :)

Annndddd MK8D didn't negatively effect BotW sales, and the sales actually increased (as did the hardware sales). MK will be evergreen as always expected, but I don't see it eating into BotW's evergreen status much, if any.

I still believe in BotW getting to 1million in japan by this time next year is still very much a possibility. I don't see it dropping out of the top 20 for a looonnngggg time.

Relative to hardware sales its still taken a haircut which was what i expected, if it can still stay around 10k til splatoon2 launches then that'll be very good for it

jonno394

So, Switch to be 1m+ by end of May if 50K shipments/sales keeps up for the rest of the month. June sales depends on whether the demand is still there and if Arms takes off.

I wonder if we will see a sales lull with sales dipping in to the 20k number like most other releases saw in the weeks after launch, before exploding when Splatoon 2 comes out.

Eolz

Dat top 5 SW. Nice HW boost for the Switch too, although probably still limited by stock issues...

SalvaPot

The Switch was completely sold out last weekend on DenDen Town in Osaka (They had a line for PSVR too). Found a used Switch for 40,000+ at super potato.

maxcriden

SMM 3DS has got to be the best argument for "weakened" ports ever. (The game has an incredible amount of additional SP content, though.)

Alright, it's Golden Week, but I looked at the previous Golden Weeks (2014-2016) and they don't seem to give that big of a bump to hardware sales. It still doesn't seem logical to me that shipments would be higher this week than last week because I would think last week would be higher than a normal week before Golden Week due to MK8D launching.

Historically Golden Week has been much stronger than it was the past few years. In 2005, it was the start of the NDS's ascent to greatness with Nintendogs. There used to be many larger software releases planned around it as well. Look back at some of the thread archives and you can see what I mean.

Zedark

Historically Golden Week has been much stronger than it was the past few years. In 2005, it was the start of the NDS's ascent to greatness with Nintendogs. There used to be many larger software releases planned around it as well. Look back at some of the thread archives and you can see what I mean.

I see, I dug a bit farther into the past, and the 2006 DS performance was really interesting: 50k boost during golden week for the NDS Lite is just ridiculous. Wonder if they will ship enough for that effect to take place in the first place for the Switch, but we'll see what happens.

L~A

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales are not disappointing at all, that's a great debut on the small installed base of the Nintendo Switch. Sales are bound to remain steady throughout the year, though whether or not it'll be able to support Switch sales until ARMS then Splatoon 2 hits remains to be seen.

About Dragon Ball Heroes, pretty amusing this third entry did better than the first one by about 2k units. Wonder if it'll have any legs like the first two. Well, at least Bamco seem to have ended up their series of Dragon Ball games on 3DS on a positive note.

Kudo

No, but the previous graph with 3DS and Wii is.

Long road ahead it seems, I guess at worst it should fall down somewhere under Wii but dunno really how the current market is.
Splatoon 2 will definitely play a big role in Japan.

GunBR

14./11. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.02.23} (¥7.800) - 4.654 / 279.395 <80-100%> (-2%)

Dat legs

L~A

13./00. [3DS] Cube Creator DX <ADV> (Arc System Works) {2017.04.27} (¥2.800) - 4.697 / NEW <20-40%>

Pretty decent debut, though I expected more. We'll soon see if that one is going to have any legs, since post Golden Week is a pretty slow period for sales.

Zedark

So how far off is the switch from the 3DS launch aligned.

We only have famitsu vs. MC, but Famitsu puts Switch at 760k while 3DS was at 920k, so 160k difference. Famitsu is tracking Switch lower than MC is, so I think the gap could be smaller when we eventually compare MC vs. MC.

Nintendo needs Pokémon on the Switch ASAP! Only to get the handheld user base from the 3DS to migrate over. I think it's key for Pokémon Stars (if real) to be Switch exclusive which Eurogamer said it was.

Top Bottom