• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2017 (Apr 24 - Apr 30)

So Nintendo Switch has sold 700k consoles in half of the time the other 2 needed? This is pretty impressive.

It shouldn't be surprising since that graph is comparing YTD from 12/26 till now. Of course the Switch should hit 700k faster than the other 2 since it has a huge boost from launch.

Nintendo needs Pokémon on the Switch ASAP! Only to get the handheld user base from the 3DS to migrate over. I think it's key for Pokémon Stars (if real) to be Switch exclusive which Eurogamer said it was.

Well if they are selling every switch they make i dont think they need it, i dont expect stars will be exclusive

Zedark

Nintendo needs Pokémon on the Switch ASAP! Only to get the handheld user base from the 3DS to migrate over. I think it's key for Pokémon Stars (if real) to be Switch exclusive which Eurogamer said it was.

Why ASAP? Japan is congested as fuck as it is, why does it need to be aggravated even more?

Of course, Pokémon on the Switch is something they definitely want, but I don't see the urgency just yet.

Well if they are selling every switch they make i dont think they need it, i dont expect stars will be exclusive

We have to think like Nintendo a year or two ago. Nintendo at the time doesn't know how well the Switch will sell. I can see a year or so ago they all talk about "Ok guys let's get Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, Mario Kart out during the first year for Switch to make sure it sells".

The idea of bringing Pokémon this year has to be made already I think. Eurogamer hasn't changed their stance on it not coming this year nor has MCV.

Why ASAP? Japan is congested as fuck as it is, why does it need to be aggravated even more?

Of course, Pokémon on the Switch is something they definitely want, but I don't see the urgency just yet.

What is Japan congested with? Super Mario Odyssey? FEW is coming to New 3DS. Japan won't care about some Mario Rabbids game.

Deku89

XB1 got a boost and almost caught up to Wii U.

Solid performance for Mario Kart, especially a remake. I have a feeling it will be in the charts for a long time.

Alrus

Great debut for MK8, expected more for the Switch but I guess it's a supply issue?

Also why the PS4 bump btw?

Is there a software problem for the Switch in Japan compared to the rest of the world? In the US Mario Kart is the best opening day of the franchise, in the UK it beat MK7 and MK8 and here it's fine but clearly not among the best opening at all. And Zelda has a stupid 100% attach rate in the US and here it's meh.

Zelda I get it, it's not huge in Japan anymore, but Mario Kart?

Okay I think you (and some others in this thread) need some perspective, the attach rates for both Zelda and MK8 are absolutely not "meh". They're great, just less impressive compared to the US.

Also it seems the Japanese buying public is way less inclined to buy ports than other parts of the world. (See most HD remasters and "Definitive editions", but in particular the Zelda HD ports sold like crap in Japan whereas they did decent to good numbers elsewhere).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It shouldn't be surprising since that graph is comparing YTD from 12/26 till now. Of course the Switch should hit 700k faster than the other 2 since it has a huge boost from launch.
Switch didn't pass 3DS YTD this week because it had a huge boost from launch.

Mory Dunz

Mk7 won't die.

Anyone else think dbz is being untapped? Or is DB heroes really it's limit right now?
I feel the right game, with the right marketing should reach near it"s old numbers. Outside of JP it seems to be. But the games now don't touch 1 million or even several hundred thousand like before

goldage

Banned
We have to think like Nintendo a year or two ago. Nintendo at the time doesn't know how well the Switch will sell. I can see a year or so ago they all talk about "Ok guys let's get Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, Mario Kart out during the first year for Switch to make sure it sells".

The idea of bringing Pokémon this year has to be made already I think. Eurogamer hasn't changed their stance on it not coming this year nor has MCV.
the switch is selling well tho so plans can change

i wouldnt discount the possibility of stars being 3ds exclusive especially with the 2dsxl coming and the games already coming out for the switch

it doesnt need pokemon but it'd be a good get none the less

DNAbro

Mk7 won't die.

Anyone else think dbz is being untapped? Or is DB heroes really it's limit right now?
I feel the right game, with the right marketing should reach near it"s old numbers. Outside of JP it seems to be. But the games now don't touch 1 million or even several hundred thousand like before

Most games in Japan don't reach high numbers anymore.

Zedark

What is Japan congested with? Super Mario Odyssey? FEW is coming to New 3DS. Japan won't care about some Mario Rabbids game.

I was referring to the supply specifically, which suggests to me that Japan has more than enough for the system as is (seeing as shipments sell out typically in less than an hour).

mclem

People predicted 100k because they thought that much stock would be made available. It's still a good number especially if Switch can stay above 50k for a while after this

Yeah, as it stands Switch predictions aren't sales predictions, they're production (and distribution) predictions!

the switch is selling well tho so plans can change

i wouldnt discount the possibility of stars being 3ds exclusive especially with the 2dsxl coming and the games already coming out for the switch

it doesnt need pokemon but it'd be a good get none the less

You're right. They could hold it off to next year spring release.

I was referring to the supply specifically, which suggests to me that Japan has more than enough for the system as is (seeing as shipments sell out typically in less than an hour).

Yeah, supply is going quick. Only Nintendo knows if they feel like the Switch will keep selling well in Japan during the holiday timeframe. Splatoon 2 will keep it selling like crazy during summer. I worry about when they get to September or October.

I dont doubt it'll be this year just dont think it'll be exclusive, gamefreak will want the extra sales a 3ds version will bring (i wonder though if it might be n3ds only)

a dual release will be better tbh
It depends on the perspective. If it's for sales of Pokémon Stars then I completely agree it's for the best to dual release it. If it's to keep pushing Switch sales by getting those 3DS owners to come over and push online subscriptions for Switch then I would say no to dual release.

Idk how much say Nintendo has in where Pokémon games should go.

Salvadora

Lower Switch hardware sales than what I would have expected.

I thought Nintendo would have more available for MK8D.

Next couple of weeks will be telling.

goldage

Banned
i think the most interesting if stars is indeed 3ds/switch is to see how well pokemon can sell new hardware vs people being content with staying on the older platform

an interesting case to see how much price and graphics really influences people even if the new platform has a brighter future ahead

Passose

Banned
Yeah, supply is going quick. Only Nintendo knows if they feel like the Switch will keep selling well in Japan during the holiday timeframe. Splatoon 2 will keep it selling like crazy during summer. I worry about when they get to September or October.
Minecraft for September, Pokemon Star for October, that will set everything on lock lol

marmoka

Banned
graph.png

Where can I see this graph? Considering how well portables sell in Japan, I would like to see it with Vita sales as well, just for curiosity.

i think the most interesting if stars is indeed 3ds/switch is to see how well pokemon can sell new hardware vs people being content with staying on the older platform

an interesting case to see how much price and graphics really influences people even if the new platform has a brighter future ahead

I'd also want to see the pricing of Pokémon on the Switch. Will is cost more than the 3DS version?

Minecraft for September, Pokemon Star for October, that will set everything on lock lol

😳

Passose

Banned

I think future supports are what make them buy the console, it already proved that it's gonna have lots of 1st party supports from Nintendo and 3rd parties from both the ps4, vita and 3ds will be onboard later

that's a little bit delusional, but whatever lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This discussion for Pokemon isn't very different from the famous Monster Hunter one, but the only thing I am sure is that the third version wouldn't come out only on 3DS 1 year after Sun / Moon. Switch is in the picture one way or another.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2017 (Apr 24 - Apr 30)

03./01. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980) - 25.099 / 158.509 <80-100%> (-81%)

Seems like the second week drop is a bit worse compared to Awakening (-75%) and Fates (-79%).

Nevertheless the game has already outsold Path of Radiance and basically has outsold Thracia 776. Next up Radiant Dawn. Let's see whether it has the legs to creep to 250K like the next batch of games. Still kind of disappointing thus far due to the performance of Awakening & Fates, but we'll see how this goes.

Thus far:
GBA Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword 109.429 265.286 Nintendo 4/25/2003
NDS Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon 147.704 252.309 Nintendo 8/7/2008
NDS Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow 147.045 250.592 Nintendo 7/15/2010
GBA Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones 146.026 246.719 Nintendo 10/7/2004
WII Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn 73.337 171.924 Nintendo 2/22/2007
SFC Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 39.000 158.695 Nintendo 9/1/1999
3DS Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia 133.410 158.509 Nintendo 4/20/2017
NGC Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance 100.357 156.413 Nintendo 4/20/2005

Passose

Banned
This discussion for Pokemon isn't very different from the famous Monster Hunter one, but the only thing I am sure is that the third version wouldn't come out only on 3DS 1 year after Sun / Moon. Switch is in the picture one way or another.
heh, why? I mean it's not Pokemon coming to the ps4 lol

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales are not disappointing at all, that's a great debut on the small installed base of the Nintendo Switch. Sales are bound to remain steady throughout the year, though whether or not it'll be able to support Switch sales until ARMS then Splatoon 2 hits remains to be seen.

About Dragon Ball Heroes, pretty amusing this third entry did better than the first one by about 2k units. Wonder if it'll have any legs like the first two. Well, at least Bamco seem to have ended up their series of Dragon Ball games on 3DS on a positive note.

Is there any smaller releases in Japan? The US has a couple of smaller games this month like Disgaea 5, Street Fighter II, etc... If there are some smaller releases it may help it hold, depending on the title.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Won't surprise me if Minecraft sells over 150-200k in it's first week.

Doubtful. It rarely has a really big first week. However, it kind of just doesn't STOP selling.

PSV Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition 36.593 1.325.772 SCE 3/19/2015
WIU Minecraft: Wii U Edition 22.676 494.383 Microsoft 12/17/2015
PS4 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition 5.680 471.285 SCE 12/3/2015
PS3 Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition [PlayStation Store] 380.000 SCE 6/24/2014
360 Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition 5.351 24.394 Microsoft 6/6/2013
XB1 Minecraft: Xbox One Edition 855 Microsoft 11/27/2014

goldage

Banned
didnt black/white 2 come out for ds when 3ds needed it also?

i suppose the counter to that is 3ds has bc and nintendo is placing their whole future on the switch so stars is needed even more

and this discussion is a little different than the mh one

stars being switch exclusive isn't as ridiculous as mh exclusive on ps4

Dystify

Before New 2DS XL was announced I was sure Stars would be only on Switch (which is what Eurogamer says), now I'm not so sure anymore. Question now for me is if it's just on Switch or 3DS and Switch.

Passose

Banned
didnt black/white 2 come out for ds when 3ds needed it also?

i suppose the counter to that is 3ds has bc and nintendo is placing their whole future on the switch so stars is needed even more
maybe it's because 3ds users can also buy the game due to backward compatibility

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

I feel like there's a little more substance to this one because of the HD and seemingly unused assets (Pokemon following you). I honestly would think they'd put it on 3DS & Switch if they were going to release something this year. Switch version to push new consoles and 3DS version to capture existing fanbase of millions.

Irminsul

I know the graph is a bit unreadable at first glance, but I didn't want to make two separate ones:

consoles_jp_launchaliwyumw.png

Left axis (and mostly declining lines) is weekly sales on a logarithmic scale, right axis (and strictly increasing lines) is total sales on a linear axis, launch-aligned. Brown is an estimation for Switch, but that has been bested already.

So Switch just crossed the Wii U line in total sales.

The logic behind a logarithmic scale was that I wanted to show long tail sales better.

Before 2DS was announced I was sure Stars would be only on Switch (which is what Eurogamer says), now I'm not so sure anymore. Question now for me is if it's just on Switch or 3DS and Switch.

maybe it's because 3ds users can also buy the game due to backward compatibility

It'll be a dual release, i cant see gamefreak being happy only launching the game to a userbase of 8/9 million

LordRaptor

It depends on the perspective. If it's for sales of Pokémon Stars then I completely agree it's for the best to dual release it. If it's to keep pushing Switch sales by getting those 3DS owners to come over and push online subscriptions for Switch then I would say no to dual release.

Idk how much say Nintendo has in where Pokémon games should go.

"Third version" pokemon games traditionally sell less than either original titles standalone sales, and the only real point of comparison for a 'crossgen' release would be Crystal

goldage

Banned
I think future supports are what make them buy the console, it already proved that it's gonna have lots of 1st party supports from Nintendo and 3rd parties from both the ps4, vita and 3ds will be onboard later

that's a little bit delusional, but whatever lol
it isn't delusional

switch is gonna dominate japan, whether the ps4 comes for the ride or not

Top Bottom