• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2012 (Apr 30 - May 06)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Go Vacation...it seems a must buy now for Wii owners. It rises when the console itself rises. Such a great success. I hope Namco is thinking about a sequel or a portable version on 3DS.
Having Go Vacation 2 at Wii U launch would be sweet.

kiri

I am still really surprised at the amount ORC has sold over here in Japan. I haven't seen it being advertised hugely in the areas I frequent but still it has taken hold it seems. Maybe console-owning people are thirsty for a RE game to play that doesn't require further spending on a handheld? Though being in Japan, I find it hard to believe that they don't already own a 3DS+RE:R already...

Vita numbers dropping in Golden Week; I would say I'm shocked but it doesn't surprise me that it happened. The numbers went up with Ciel no Surge but I guess are now back down to 'normal', though I don't really know how long Sony can leave it like this. The newly-announced White and White/Miku versions of the Vita -might- help, but like last week, will probably only be a temporary solution to the problem.

On a final note, with all these 3DS games in the chart, I expect Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem to fall away from the 'Trinity' eventually, though I am curious to see if Mario Tennis Open, coming out in a week or so, will be an evergreen title. Thoughts, anyone?

mclem

Nice to get fresh HM numbers, from glancing over the figures I can only see one Harvest Moon (Isle of Happiness on the DS) doing better since the days of the N64/GBA iterations. Not sure how it compares with the SNES titles.

Fabrik

Banned
Vita actually decreased!

Super Mario Land 3D (+82%)
Mario Kart 7 (+96%)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (+63%)

Amazing.

| PSV | 10,583 | 12,299 | 250,773 | 690,758 |

IPPTWn.gif

AniHawk

Does anyone know how 3DS was impacted by Golden week last year? Did it's numbers drop as well or did it get a boost?

nintendo stuff usually gets a significant boost during golden week. 3ds sales went up by 15k versus the previous week without any new software, and longtime sellers went up in sales as well.

edit: didn't read. sorry.

Alrus

didn't expect the vita to drop during golden week.

kid icarus looks like it has some actual legs. wonder how far they'll take it.

fire emblem continues to look impressive. 400k is very possible now.

400k is pretty much a lock I'd say, it'll be interesting to see how much higher it can go.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nice to get fresh HM numbers, from glancing over the numbers I can only see one Harvest Moon (Isle of Happiness on the DS) doing better since the days of the N64/GBA iterations. Not sure how it compares with the SNES titles.

There was only one SFC/SNES Harvest Moon.

Go Vacation...it seems a must buy now for Wii owners. It rises when the console itself rises. Such a great success. I hope Namco is thinking about a sequel or a portable version on 3DS.
Having Go Vacation 2 at Wii U launch would be sweet.
A portable version of Go Vacation or even Fishing Resort would seriously overtake Mario Kart 7 in my activity log. Would love an eShop release.

On a final note, with all these 3DS games in the chart, I expect Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem to fall away from the 'Trinity' eventually, though I am curious to see if Mario Tennis Open, coming out in a week or so, will be an evergreen title. Thoughts, anyone?

Two Thursdays from now it's out.

Can see 500K LTD.

Nintendo is interested in trying to turn KI, at least, into an evergreen title.

I think FE's success continues to baffle/surprise even them, though, despite the games awesomeness.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I've talked about this before, but I'm amazed at how Super Mario Land 3D is continuing to out-sell Mario Kart 7. If trends were to continue like this, SML3D will sell more copies overall compared to Mario Kart 7 by November-December. A 3D Mario selling more then a Mario Kart a year after release! I don't think anybody guessed that, even Nintendo considering they are about to quickly eat into SML3D with NSMB3DS in August. Mistake? I'm starting to think so.

Also, I still stick by my Kid Icarus 400k LTD in Japan. I believe the title will have long legs, will be bundled eventually, and also see growth with the new anime-shorts still planned.

Alrus

Just noticed the massive numbers for Wii Party! What's the deal with that?!! I thought the game didn't review well.

Japan and Europe apparently loved it. It only really underperformed in America. It's the kind of game where reviews don't really matter.

I think FE's success continues to baffle/surprise even them, though, despite the games awesomeness.

I think they expected it to be bigger than previous entries, they hyped it up a lot and gave it the special bundle treatment. Production values were also much higher than previous handheld entries. Seeing the stock issues though, maybe they didn't expect it to do as well. I wonder how the DLCs are doing too, they must be making a pretty decent amount of money out of them.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Let there be Wiita!

Numbers aren't that great for GW, maybe there has been plenty bumps spread over the lowest common denominator (ie games not charting), but still #10 barely above 10k? That's bad.

kiri

Two Thursdays from now it's out.

Can see 500K LTD.

Nintendo is interested in trying to turn KI, at least, into an evergreen title.

If they are trying to turn it into an evergreen title (KI), then I am curious to see how long the servers will be kept up for. I am trying to think of a case when Nintendo has closed down servers but have come up fruitless... the oldest ones I could think of would be for SSBB or Pokemon Diamond/Pearl but they are still up I believe.

I'm playing FE right now but as this is my first ever FE game, though I am loving all the eye-candy, I am finding it difficult to keep up with parts of the story/various menus. Not being fully fluent isn't helping me :/

mclem

Almost no drop in Mario Party 9 sales.
The streams have crossed for the Wii and Vita.
3DS getting a boost in hardware and software for golden week.
I hope Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem can keep selling.

I don't think they'll stay with the Trinity (although it'd be wonderful if they do!), but I wouldn't be too surprised to see them frequently in the low teens, constantly ticking up sales. Maybe doing about half the trinity's sales each week once they've settled down.

Of course, I may be mostly dreaming!

Wow @ Vita... it dropped during Golden Week.

3DS doing well. Harvest Moon back in the Top 20. KH over 300k...

Vita sales in April 8-9k range
Vita sales on release of new game 12k
Vita sales on Golden week 10k

But yeah technically it dropped ;)

D_prOdigy

Do Sony's shareholders generally not care about the games side of things?

Because the company's complete silence on how woefully Vita is performing week in, week out is starting to beggar belief.

Mobilise something, ffs.

sazzy

I stopped following sales age a while ago... Why is PSP outselling vita? Is it cost of the system?

Kazerei

Banned
I've talked about this before, but I'm amazed at how Super Mario Land 3D is continuing to out-sell Mario Kart 7. If trends were to continue like this, SML3D will sell more copies overall compared to Mario Kart 7 by November-December. A 3D Mario selling more then a Mario Kart a year after release! I don't think anybody guessed that, even Nintendo considering they are about to quickly eat into SML3D with NSMB3DS in August. Mistake? I'm starting to think so.

Also, I still stick by my Kid Icarus 400k LTD in Japan. I believe the title will have long legs, will be bundled eventually, and also see growth with the new anime-shorts still planned.

It helps that there are hardware bundles with Super Mario 3D Land. With sexy pink and sexy white :)

ivxaq.jpg

I stopped following sales age a while ago... Why is PSP outselling vita? Is it cost of the system?

PSP still gets new games while Vita doesn't
PSP has a great catalog of games, Vita has next to none
PSP cost a lot less then Vita
Vita isn't backwards compatible with UMD, not all UMD games are on PSN

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
With Mario Tennis, the new Pokemon and the new 2D Mario this summer, 3DS sales will not go down any time soon. Nintendo won its bet in Japan, I expect 3DS to be as popular as the DS in this region.

How far this success will translate to the rest of the world is another question.

Varjet

MK7's sales will rise once the online patch is released. Believe.

PSP costs 16k and have trylions of cheap games on second hand market
PSV costs 25k+ and have limited selection of japan oriented games

Fabrik

Banned
What do you think are the factors for Kid Icarus legs?
Good word of mouth?
40/40 in Famitsu?
Street Pass exchange?
The loot aspect?
It's a brilliant game?

UberTag

I don't believe the VITA needs a price drop in North America; however, I DO believe it needs one in portable-friendly Japan. They're getting trounced.

And if they're not dropping the price in Japan it would seem likely that Sony can't afford one. :(

Top Bottom