• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2012 (Apr 30 - May 06)

randomkid

Budget would depend a lot on how many people worked on it and for how long, which could be quite a mystery. Sora didn't exist till 2009, so even if it began development right after the company was started dev time would be 3yrs and a couple months. A note on the Wikipedia article for Kid Icarus is stating some interviews in 2009/7 was before the start of development of KI:U, if this is to be believed that's 2yrs, 8mos. It _seemed_ like it was announced ages ago (and it was) but really, actual dev time isn't as long as you may think it to be. Considering it's a portable title you could surely shave off some graphics work cost vs a HD game, so even if it was expensive to make for a portable game it'd probably be cheaper than most PS3/360 offerings. All speculation, of course.

Does its moderate success mean it was a disappointment to Nintendo? Probably not. Nintendo's routinely made core titles that sold poorly for a variety of reasons (see: Xenoblade, which didn't even sell 100K at launch), but development isn't killed off, likely because they're needed to flesh out the lineup of a console. It's great that N spent the advertising money to get KI:U the attention it deserves, but other than their renewed focus on the 'core' audience their game-making habits haven't much changed.

Yeah, I think when I saw Nintendo pull out all the stops for marketing (40/40 Famitsu score haha) my expectations rose. That and the positive word of mouth and all the other factors Fabrik listed, just kinda seems like it should be doing better for something being treated a little bit like a tentpole release for 3DS. I'm not very sanguine on legs continuing after Golden Week but we'll see.

Compared to last gen pretty dreadful sales for both handhelds. DS did 180k and PSP 40k during golden week of 2006. Still of course compared to pretty much any other device ever 3DS is doing great.

Upcoming huge DS/3DS titles:

Mario Tennis Open - May 24th (+500k)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D - May 31th (+1m)

Pokémon Black and White 2 - June 23rd (+3.5m)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 - August (+5m)

Also while less significant these titles should be interesting
Oni Training- Summer 2012. (Wild Card)
Etrian Odysey 4- July 5th(100K?)
Little Battler Xperience- July 5th (100-200K?)
Taiko Drum Master- July 12th (200K?)- I'm not sure what to expect the Wii version sold phenomenally and the PSP did decent but the DS versions didn't sell spectacular.
Time Travellers- July 12th(???)- New L5 ip being released to PSP, Vita and 3DS.

While not mega/huge upcoming titles these should help the 3DS chug along in typically slow summer months. It'll also be interesting to see how they will perform on 3DS and really determine the direction L5 is heading.

Also while less significant these titles should be interesting
Oni Training- Summer 2012. (Wild Card)
Etrian Odysey 4- July 5th(100K?)
Little Battler Xperience- July 5th (100-200K?)
Taiko Drum Master- July 12th (200K?)- I'm not sure what to expect the Wii version sold phenomenally and the PSP did decent but the DS versions didn't sell spectacular.
Time Travellers- July 12th(???)- New L5 ip being released to PSP, Vita and 3DS.

While not mega/huge upcoming titles these should help the 3DS chug along in typically slow summer months. It'll also be interesting to see how they will perform on 3DS and really determine the direction L5 is heading.

Might as well include Guild 01 as well.

Taiko on the NDS did very well, two games ~500k.

Owzers

I'm still waiting for a $199 Vita Entertainment bundle with an 8GB stick and a game worth playing included. Currently there isn't a single game that i'd buy on Vita. I'd probably rent Gravity Daze and maybe i'd like it, and i'd also rent Uncharted but i assume i'll be disappointed by it and be glad i didn't buy it.

What do you think are the factors for Kid Icarus legs?
Good word of mouth?
40/40 in Famitsu?
Street Pass exchange?
The loot aspect?
It's a brilliant game?

The franchise has a playable character in Smash Bros. That's the only way to get a first party nintendo game to sell.

matmanx1

Nintendo's products selling well during holiday periods is no surprise. I'm glad to see KI and FE still hanging in there and of course the trinity shows no signs of going anywhere. Nintendomination indeed.

It will be interesting to see if the white Vita and the couple of new game releases can spur Vita sales in June. Still, until the Vita gets good games released on a consistent basis the HW sales won't be respectable.

I'm starting to get curious about the WiiU's reception in Japan. It's not a handheld and it may still struggle with prime third party support. We'll see.

Spiegel

What will save Vita?

uNo6A.gif

Wii > Vita... this is why I was shocked when people were calling a "surge" to 12k laughable. The Vita is floundering hardcore in Japan. With Pokemon and more Mario on the horizon, the future does not look bright.

Jaruru

what is sony doing with the vita? releasing white color vita and...?

no surprise by the Nintendo boost. but the numbers are really nice this round.
even the Wii sport resort is back :O

Wouldn't this be completely disproven by Rhythm Tengoku?

Or Brain Age, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Training, Big Brain Academy, Nintendogs, Friend Collection, Electroplankton, etc. which were all popular before being represented in Smash(Only Brain Training, Electroplankton and Nintendogs were).

I'm hoping it's good word of mouth. The game deserves the sales.

I continue to be flabbergasted by the "It only sold because he was in Brawl/because of nostalgia" argument. Brawl probably helped, but the larger marketing campaign, good reviews, and good word of mouth probably helped way more.

It seems like such an obvious way to insist that the quality of the game either doesn't matter or is misleading.

muu

Announcing a White Vita that comes out in 2 months, and a limited edition Vita that comes out 2 months after that, is not going to help its situation up to that point. I mean, there already wasn't a huge rush to get the hardware, now potential buyers have even more of an excuse to wait out their purchase. Seems like something they should have announced at E3.

jman2050

Yeah, I think when I saw Nintendo pull out all the stops for marketing (40/40 Famitsu score haha) my expectations rose. That and the positive word of mouth and all the other factors Fabrik listed, just kinda seems like it should be doing better for something being treated a little bit like a tentpole release for 3DS. I'm not very sanguine on legs continuing after Golden Week but we'll see.

The thing about Nintendo games is that we can't get a verdict on ts sales potential until long after ts release. I'd wait until next year at least before analyzing whether KI 'underperformed' or not.

PSP(2011 YTD)= 884,339
PSP+PSV(2012)=610,986(-30.9%)

Looking ahead to Week 19, PSP did 34,826 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=1,390,744
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=1,663,527(+19.6%)

Looking ahead to week 19, 3DS+DS did 29,182 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=2,275,083
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=2,274,513

BurntPork

Banned
PSP(2011 YTD)= 884,339
PSP+PSV(2012)=610,986(-30.9%)

Looking ahead to Week 19, PSP did 34,826 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=1,390,744
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=1,663,527(+19.6%)

Looking ahead to week 19, 3DS+DS did 29,182 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=2,275,083
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=2,274,513
Streams finally cross next week?

Releasing it a year before the 3DS.

Kill off psp?

A bigish game every week for a year. The discontinuation of the 3G model. Price cut to $200 with included memory card.

Sony is on it. They've already put into motion massive plans to buy Media Crate and combine Vita sales figures with TV sales in Honduras to show an up 'decade on decade' supermoon sales trend.

Nintendo signing a deal with Sony to bring Mario to the Vita.
Dragon Quest XI announced for Vita
Nintendo discontinues 3DS

Nintendo miraculously closing up shop.

So there's still hope! :p

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The Sony fanboy response to GW bump shouldn't be that it doesn't happen (of course it does) but that its a holiday to give kid's spending money so of course the kiddy lineup of Nintendo games did well, pointing out that they don't see RE: Revelations anywhere on that chart, sophisticated potential owners of the Vita don't need spending money from mommy and daddy to experience the real handheld revolution, etc, etc.

lol something something doicare something lol

gconsole

I feel like I'm almost the opposite. As I don't own a PS3 or 360, the 3DS with RE:R was my best bet a playing a good ol' scary RE with only mild action elements. I've completed it a couple of times now and am extremely happy with it.

Good for you. Unfortunately most of the fanbase won't buy 3DS for just one game. Even the guy who really want old school RE do not buy 3DS (but keep complaining why console RE is not the same LOL).

Top Bottom