• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2012 (Apr 30 - May 06)

Sadist

I continue to be flabbergasted by the "It only sold because he was in Brawl/because of nostalgia" argument. Brawl probably helped, but the larger marketing campaign, good reviews, and good word of mouth probably helped way more.

It seems like such an obvious way to insist that the quality of the game either doesn't matter or is misleading.
Don't mind Zerodoppler. He's bitter about Nintendo games performing well.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Never give up, never surrender.

Sam-Rockwell-Galaxy-Quest.gif

my brother worked on this movie :D

Orioto said:
At least there is a morale to that. "Don't release a new console when the old one is still popular".

I think the morale is don't release an uberexpensive portable console with barely any games and no proper bc when you've got an uphill battle to fight.

Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin sold 179,148 until last week: second best result in the series in the last decade: http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=91
Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness is still a far milestone, with its 304,348 units; but the 3DS game is tracking just a bit behind the latter, so there are chances for having a LTD of aboud 230-240k.

It's all up to when the next one releases, imo.

Or Brain Age, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Training, Big Brain Academy, Nintendogs, Friend Collection, Electroplankton, etc. which were all popular before being represented in Smash(Only Brain Training, Electroplankton and Nintendogs were).

Yeah, I guess we have to count the blue ocean software as well. My bad.

Cygnus X-1

Compared to last gen pretty dreadful sales for both handhelds. DS did 180k and PSP 40k during golden week of 2006. Still of course compared to pretty much any other device ever 3DS is doing great.

This is more or less the big problem of 3DS right now. During that comparable period of time, DS started to output some crazy numbers every week. Something like 150k per week averaged. 3DS will have a hard time matching these numbers. Till now it was easy because DS started very slowly, but from now on things will be more difficult.

Sure, that's against DS we're talking about. This doesn't mean 3DS is selling bad. On the contrary. It^s outputting some excellent performance in Japan. Both hardware- and software-wise. And the outlook is fantastic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Beautiful! I could kiss you for that!

Let's keep things platonic... for now. :D

Sam-Rockwell-Galaxy-Quest.gif

my brother worked on this movie :D

Your brother's awesome and so are you.

Or if you do, assassinate the incumbent platform as swiftly and silently as possible ala DS.

It actually took quite a bit to kill the DS, and 3DS was only able to do that because it offered full backwards compatibility. Vita doesn't have that luxury.

fernoca

More than the Wii outselling the Vita this week, what's weird is who the sales were down too. Actually, both PSP and Vita sales were down, while everybody else went up; even the Xbox 360 and PS2.

At least there is a morale to that. "Don't release a new console when the old one is still popular".

Or do it at the same price at least.

It had to be done. It would've been suicide if Sony had waited any longer to release the 3DS. The Vita likely would've been in an even worse state than it is now if they had waited until the PSP winded down. It's possible they could've killed the PSP off like Nintendo did with the DS but I don't think that's Sony's strategy as seen with the PS2. There's also some room for debate that killing off the PSP doesn't mean it would go to the Vita. Nintendo somehow managed to succeed with the GBA and DS still going strong for a brief amount of time early on in the DS life.

The gba was killing it pretty much everywhere before Nintendo nuked it.
They had to though because Sony forced their hand with the PSP. They were already struggling in the home console market to Sony. They couldn't afford to lose their stronghold that they had for over 10 years.

Vita will make a comeback in June, it's gonna be very interesting!

05/24
Mario Tennis Open
Samurai & Dragons

05/31
Dragon Quest Monsters, Guild01
-

06/07
-
Gundam Seed Battle Destiny

06/14
Gon Baku Adventure
Persona 4, Super Monkey Ball

06/28
Culdcept
Metal Gear Solid HD Edition, Vita Crystal White

07/05
Danball Senki Boost, Etrian Odyssey 4
Dokuro

07/12
Calciobit, Taiko Drum, Time Travelers
Resistance, Time Travelers

07/19
Rayman Origins, Rune Factory 4
-

07/26
Cave Story 3D
-

08/30
Devil Summoner Soul Hackers, Senran Kagura Burst
Next Hatsune Miku

Announcing a White Vita that comes out in 2 months, and a limited edition Vita that comes out 2 months after that, is not going to help its situation up to that point. I mean, there already wasn't a huge rush to get the hardware, now potential buyers have even more of an excuse to wait out their purchase. Seems like something they should have announced at E3.
Good point, but there's not much of difference from 10k to 6k.

We are about 12-13 hours away from Sony releasing their FY earnings and having their conference call.

The Vita forecast for the upcoming FY is going to be eye opening and we'll finally get an idea of their expectations for this thing. Also interested to see the actual shipment numbers for last FY.

We are about 12-13 hours away from Sony releasing their FY earnings and having their conference call.

The Vita forecast for the upcoming FY is going to be eye opening and we'll finally get an idea of their expectations for this thing. Also interested to see the actual shipment numbers for last FY.

We'll find out how many vistas are stuck on the shop shelves

LOCK

PSP(2011 YTD)= 884,339
PSP+PSV(2012)=610,986(-30.9%)

Looking ahead to Week 19, PSP did 34,826 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=1,390,744
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=1,663,527(+19.6%)

Looking ahead to week 19, 3DS+DS did 29,182 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=2,275,083
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=2,274,513

Almost...

Top Bottom