• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2017 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)

Red Devil

Sorry if this question has been asked ad nauseum but since I don't always follow these threads I don't really know. Is ths Switch stock situation in Japan that bad? When will there be more stock?

Eolz

Sorry if this question has been asked ad nauseum but since I don't always follow these threads I don't really know. Is ths Switch stock situation in Japan that bad? When will there be more stock?

Nintendo said officially end of july/early august for more stock. But nobody knows how much and for how long.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
And Chris, I am sure it will ship more than a million, it's down to whether it gets to a million in the trackers.

The problem with Zelda and trackers is that there is discrepancy at retail between Media Create and Famitsu and that makes Famitsu digital estimates even less representative of the real situation.

Since it's a game that isn't overstocked and stock is renewed every week, shipments from Nintendo are more accurate right now.

EDarkness

I think Sony is doing a good job of chipping away at Japan while keeping their sales fairly consistent. Most of the games coming out there are for the PS4 and if people want to continue to play the games they like, they're gonna have to come over at some point. If not now, then somewhere down the road. Unless the NS somehow starts getting a glut of new announcements and games, which I don't really see happening anytime soon.

Ex-Psych

I'm really curious as to how much the Switch will tally up worldwide after getting the sales results.

Straight up struggling to produce more after 2.7 millions in March. How much was Nintendo actually expecting the switch to sell after 5 months? Sub 3 million?

I didn't know the Wiiu lowered their self-esteem that badly.

Mr Swine

Banned
It should reach it WW easy, but in Japan? Shit would have to be the hottest game in existence.

I think we will get an estimation depending on how well DQ does on PS4 in Japan. If it sells more than 1.5 million or 2 million then I can easily see MHW do 2 million or more on PS4

EDarkness

Possibly monster hunter

My guess is it's a combination of things. The DS isn't getting a lot of notable software announcements, while the PS4 is gaining a lot of traction in that area. Lots of the more recent games that have been announced have been for the PS4. One way to win in this market, is the be the place where most of the games are released and right now that seems to be the case for the PS4. The Vita is dying (or is dead), the 3DS seems to be going down, and the NS is new with not a whole lot of recent game announcements.

Eolz

I think we will get an estimation depending on how well DQ does on PS4 in Japan. If it sells more than 1.5 million or 2 million then I can easily see MHW do 2 million or more on PS4

I don't think we can compare both that easily.

OryoN

I'm aware that it takes time, money and planning to massively boost production of any modern device(in addition to the recent difficulty acquiring enough NAND chips), but it's really frustrating seeing Nintendo finally having done just about every thing right with this awesome new console, but failing - miserably - to satisfy demand. Yes, that demand was easy to underestimate, and is through the roof right now, but scraping by with a meager 25k units weekly is really pathetic.

If things don't improve soon, the magnitude of the failure to meet demand, for this console, would be a record not seen before, even during the Wii era.

Vena

My guess is it's a combination of things. The DS isn't getting a lot of notable software announcements, while the PS4 is gaining a lot of traction in that area. Lots of the more recent games that have been announced have been for the PS4. One way to win in this market, is the be the place where most of the games are released and right now that seems to be the case for the PS4. The Vita is dying (or is dead), the 3DS seems to be going down, and the NS is new with not a whole lot of recent game announcements.

The 3DS is six years old, announcements or not, the problem has more to do with age and saturation but its also incomparable and I have no idea what line you're trying to draw here because there isn't one.

The PS4 has *the* biggest release of its lifetime a few weeks away and is not a platform facing population limited market saturation, what did you expect it to do, stop selling? Ramps occur all the time leading into major releases, we've been through this song and dance time and time again. You need only look back ~30 weeks to FFXV in the weeks leading up to and after its release, the PS4 was riding high. Same was true circa MGSV.

The software point is a case of missing the forest for the trees. "Most" of the software is a topping, what defines a successful platform are the major tentpoles and the platform's appeal to the market. That's why the 3DS has completely dominated the market even though it doesn't somehow receive disproportionately more software or even "most" of the software. Most games in their release year would dream to sell as much as Animal Crossing sells in its 5th.

EDarkness

The 3DS is six years old, announcements or not, the problem has more to do with age and saturation but its also incomparable and I have no idea what line you're trying to draw here because there isn't one.

The PS4 has *the* biggest release of its lifetime a few weeks away and is not a platform facing population limited market saturation, what did you expect it to do, stop selling? Ramps occur all the time leading into major releases, we've been through this song and dance time and time again. You need only look back ~30 weeks to FFXV in the weeks leading up to and after its release, the PS4 was riding high. Same was true circa MGSV.

The software point is a case of missing the forest for the trees.

The point is pretty simple. When you only have one choice, that choice tends to win out. Right now that's the PS4. Vita is on the way out...dead and 3DS is old and not capturing the imagination like it once did. The only choice a player really has for some of these games is the PS4. It's natural that it'd be on the upswing when there's not much competition on that front. Wanna play the next mainline Monster Hunter? Gotta have a PS4. Wanna play the "pretty" version of Dragon Quest XI? Gotta have a PS4. So many little games are getting PS4 versions as well with the Vita versions being after-thoughts. The thing is, by themselves they probably don't mean much, but over time it becomes pretty clear where gamers will have to go. At least for the immediate future. In a couple of years we may be looking at the same situation if the NS doesn't get off the ground there or if third parties don't really support it with major software. The PS4 is a known quantity that's getting lots and lots of support and I don't think that's going to be slowing down anytime soon.

Mory Dunz

A new original fighting IP selling 1.5-2million would be great.

needs at least 3 to be satisfactory imo.

That would be insane. Even with free support/etc, it's not another Splatoon. Doing 2M would already be fantastic.

well of course not.

If this was Wii U, ARMS would do well to even reach 1 million. Compared to Splatoon's 5m.

If we're comparing Switch to Swtich, ARMS needs 3-4m and Splatoon 2 could do goodness knows...maybe 8-10m+ or even more? (Depends on the Switch of course)

ARMS isn't going to stop selling in 2017.
And it will probably get a $20 Nintendo Selects in ~2019

I expected it to drop faster considering the Switch hardware shortages. Now I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon 2 coupled with more hardware would give it more than just a modest boost to already good numbers.

oh ok,
I expected a slightly bigger FW, but since then it's done what I thought.

Eolz

needs at least 3 to be satisfactory imo.

well of course not.

If this was Wii U, ARMS would do well to even reach 1 million. Compared to Splatoon's 5m.

If we're comparing Switch to Swtich, ARMS needs 3-4m and Splatoon 2 could do goodness knows...maybe 8-10m+ or even more? (Depends on the Switch of course)

ARMS isn't going to stop selling in 2017.
And it will probably get a $20 Nintendo Selects in ~2019

oh ok,
I expected a slightly bigger FW, but since then it's done what I thought.

It's still a fighting game that hasn't proven it could appeal to everyone out there (unlike a Smash/MK/Splatoon/etc). Even if the Switch is super successful, this doesn't guarantee it will still well for a long time, even if this doesn't get a sequel and somehow gets to 20$ two years from now.
You have some weird expectations for this game and its genre.

LordKano

So, going by Sohei Niikawa, president of NIS...
43d5086cdc.png

02b72cde2f.png

...Disgaea 6 will most likely be PS4/Switch.

MoonFrog

So, going by Sohei Niikawa, president of NIS...
43d5086cdc.png

02b72cde2f.png

...Disgaea 6 will most likely be PS4/Switch.

Cool. I think this is an exciting attitude and that there is potential in PS4/Switch(/other platforms) for Japanese developers going forward.

Cross-gen + (as Switch is closer in power to PS4 than PS3, Vita, or Wii U were) is the opportunity to mimic DQXI at much lower cost/effort. I hope developers find it a useful way to hit a wider audience at home and abroad.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cool. I think this is an exciting attitude and that there is potential in PS4/Switch(/other platforms) for Japanese developers going forward.

Cross-gen + (as Switch is closer in power to PS4 than PS3, Vita, or Wii U were) is the opportunity to mimic DQXI at much lower cost/effort. I hope developers find it a useful way to hit a wider audience at home and abroad.
Aren't most of the third party Japanese Switch games also PS4 games?

Like just looking at a list:
- Disgaea 5
- Fate/Extella
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest Heroes I+II
- Dragon Quest XI
- Nobunaga's Ambition
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- One Piece: Unlimited World Red
- Sonic Forces
- Nights of Azure 2
- Spelunker (sort of, I think it went f2p to paid)
- I Am Setsuna
- Bloodstained
- Lost Sphear

PS4/Switch definitely seems to be a thing a lot of Japanese developers do already.

why not 3mln??? lol

It's already a success if it passes the million sales...

MoonFrog

Aren't most of the third party Japanese Switch games also PS4 games?

Like just looking at a list:
- Disgaea 5
- Fate/Extella
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest Heroes I+II
- Dragon Quest XI
- Nobunaga's Ambition
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- One Piece: Unlimited World Red
- Sonic Forces
- Nights of Azure 2
- Spelunker (sort of, I think it went f2p to paid)
- I Am Setsuna
- Bloodstained
- Lost Sphear

PS4/Switch definitely seems to be a thing a lot of Japanese developers do already.
Hmmm...I wonder what that list looks like for the opposite question atm, i.e. unrealeased announced Japanese PS4 games, are they mostly announced to hit Switch too?

But still, I take that list as good news and I hope Switch/PS4 pans out (in sales, increased console game development viability) and I think it will so long as Switch sells well in Japan, at least and Japanese software does okay in the west. IDK. I honestly think that the viability of Sony stationary/Nintendo portable multiplatform, i.e. the chance to bridge the DS/PS3 gap could be a great boon to the console industry in Japan: a chance to have it both ways, when previously it's been very either/or (exclusive or) since the end of the PS2.

kyser73

Looking at the last few weeks, it looks like part of the reason PS4 Hardware sales are increasing is that more and more people are buying the PS4 Pro.

Nah, Pro sales have been pretty consistent at between 20-25% of all sales for a while now.

saichi

MHW easily outsells DQXI in Japan on PS4? which planet do I live on?

MHW easily outsells DQXI in Japan on PS4? which planet do I live on?
How much did MH Tri on Wii sell? About a million? Not a perfect comparison but probably the most appropriate one. That's where I'd expect MHW in Japan to land, the limit being 1.5 million.

Sony PS4 continues to extend its LTD against the Switch thanks to Nintendo not having enough stock available. Is there a Kaz Hirai not my problem .jpg?

Vinnk

it's like the reverse of when Wii U oldsold PS4 some weeks and people celebrated

But the PS4 wasn't supply constrained in Japan. Or if it was it was not for very long. The situations are not really comparable.

The WiiU sold better than the PS4 during holidays and for big releases. Supply didn't really have much to do with it.

Mory Dunz

But the PS4 wasn't supply constrained in Japan. Or if it was it was not for very long. The situations are not really comparable.

The WiiU sold better than the PS4 during holidays and for big releases. Supply didn't really have much to do with it.

exactly. The reverse. ;)

mao2

City Shrouded in Shadow first PV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_N72EBYRpE

It's finally coming out on October 19 for PS4 after a long silence. Also the theme song for this game is "Futari no Sora" by Mai Iida, who has been a regular in Kazuma Kujo's titles such as Disaster Report and Pachipara (PachiPro Fuunroku) series.

ksamedi

I think the Japanese game publishers are going to struggle a bit in the coming years. Mobile is reaching its limit and their low and medium budget handheld games will not cut it anymore since the 3ds and Vita are on the way out. The Only company that takes Japanese console gaming seriously is Nintendo at the moment. Look at the amount of million sellers or >500k selers the release every generation and look at how many there are for the PS4. The only way to go up is proper support for Switch and PS4. They need to invest the mobile earnings into console development and create ground breaking games that compete with western titles. Its as simple as that. Im quite optimistic rhat we will see a true console gaming ressurection in the coming years because it is the only way up.

hiska-kun

Software is explainable, Famitsu tracks download cards.

Media Create:
03./05. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 14.423 / 550.059 (+6%)
07./06. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 9.144 / 522.182 (+10%)

Famitsu:

03./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 11.623 / 513.237 <80-100%> (+4%)
08./10. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 5.871 / 466.351 <80-100%> (+5%)

So I guess that Zelda and Mario Kart (and other games) have negative download cards sales.
Seriously, people should stop assuming that every discrepancy they have is because download cards. There're plenty of games with higher sales with Media Create (They track Amazon.jp, while Famitsu don't). So there are other variables here.

Download card excuse makes sense when a game has stock problems at retail. It's in this case when they make a real difference.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The only way to go up is proper support for Switch and PS4.

Sony and Japanese publishers have tried everything with PS4 in Japan, what's the proper support it's missing.

The system is just unattractive to expand the market, it's very simple and obvious by now.

Laplasakos

Sony and Japanese publishers have tried everything with PS4 in Japan, what's the proper support it's missing.

The system is just unattractive to expand the market, it's very simple and obvious by now.

Define everything.

Also, what do you mean with ''unattractive to expand the market''? I really have a hard time understanding this. Do you mean it cant sell more than PS3 or Wii, the last home consoles that passed 10m, so it's unattractive? Then i guess 3DS is unattractive too, since it didn't manage to expand the market and so probably Switch.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Comparing 3DS, one of the best selling systems of all time, with PS3 or Wii is really funny.

3DS was the leader of its generation, what were PS3 and Wii and are the barrier of success.

ksamedi

Look at the software sales. The hardware may be unattractive, which I doubt, but so is the software. Even the Wii U had bigger games. Why is that ? The software support is not good. Publishers should step up and release good games. Monster Hunter World is a good sign and example of this.

Laplasakos

Comparing 3DS, one of the best selling systems of all time, with PS3 or Wii is really funny.

No, i compared 3DS with DS and not PS3, in an attempt to understand the ''unattractive to expand the market'' part, which i see you are not willing to explain.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Look at the software sales. The hardware may be unattractive, which I doubt, but so is the software. Even the Wii U had bigger games. Why is that ? The software support is not good. Publishers should step up and release good games. Monster Hunter World is a good sign and example of this.

Software support for PS4 is not good and Wii U had bigger games?

There are almost zero big third party games that aren't on PS4, if you exclude kids franchises mainly from 3DS.

I don't know what more you can expect.

random25

PS4 got all the big and popular games from 3rd party devs. Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Persona, etc.

ASIS

ARMS! <3

The performance is not earth shattering, but still very good. I couldn't be happier with these results really.

Any word on its performance worldwide? All I know is the horrendous debut at no.2 in the UK but not much else.

ksamedi

Software support for PS4 is not good and Wii U had bigger games?
Youre the numbers guy, so help me out here, what are the top 5 sellers for PS4 and what are the top 5 sellers for WiiU. For Wiiu it was most surely Nintendo, the only Japanese company that takes the Japanese console market seriously and acrually finds huge succes in that market. Why would it be impossible for third parties to find such sucesses?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Youre the numbers guy, so help me out here, what are the top 5 sellers for PS4 and what are the top 5 sellers for WiiU. For Wiiu it was most surely Nintendo, the only Japanese company that takes the Japanese console market seriously and acrually finds huge succes in that market. Why would it be impossible for third parties to find such sucesses?

I told you already all big third party games are on PS4. That they don't sell big numbers doesn't have to do with low effort or budget.

Zedark

ARMS! <3

The performance is not earth shattering, but still very good. I couldn't be happier with these results really.

Any word on its performance worldwide? All I know is the horrendous debut at no.2 in the UK but not much else.
UK debut really wasn't THAT horrendous. It was very close to Splatoon debut for example.

Top Bottom