• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2011 (Aug 15 - Aug 21)

Spiegel

amazon.jp users love overreacting

DQIX after 2 days on sale

YaefH.jpg

I guess DQIX bombed after the first week.

Aeana

Fantastical said:
Wait, I'm confused. Why is MHP3HD rated so low?
Apparently, it's being rating bombed by anti-Korean protesters because Koreans were involved in porting it. It's not surprising since it's been a hot issue in Japan lately - just recently, tons of people protested outside of FujiTV because they felt they were showing too many Korean programs.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Aeana said:
Apparently, it's being rating bombed by anti-Korean protesters because Koreans were involved in porting it. It's not surprising since it's been a hot issue in Japan lately - just recently, tons of people protested outside of FujiTV because they felt they were showing too many Korean programs.

Wow... O_____O
And what about the Twitter talking about MH3G?That is news to me.

But they ranked Dragon Quest IX down because it's a departure from the classic Dragon Quest gameplay.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is a good game, but the HD version really is shit from what we have read and seen.

Mpl90 said:
I was talking about the Twitter thing in fact XD
+1

I need to know more about this. NEED

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Road said:
Dengeki Sales, Aug 15 - 21, 2011 (week 34)

09. (06) [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) - 19,506 / 336,804 (-37%)
18. (11) [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco) -
Hereupon I predict 60k hw sales for the 3ds for week 34.

Spiegel

Sammy Samusu said:
But they ranked Dragon Quest IX down because it's a departure from the classic Dragon Quest gameplay.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is a good game, but the HD version really is shit from what we have read and seen.

+1

I need to know more about this. NEED

No, as I said they love to overreact. The 1-star ratings for DQIX were because of Sandy

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aeana said:

Wow... What's with the Korean hate in Japan? :|

Aeana said:

Any particular reason for this outburst against Koreans or is it just your typical Japanese xenophobia?

Mpl90

When things like these happen, I'm a bit sad :(
However, now that I think about it, next year is the 5th Anniversary for Layton!
We could expect Layton 6 AND Layton V.S. Ace Attourney next year...

Johann

Fantastical said:
Wait, I'm confused. Why is MHP3HD rated so low?

It's a very poor port and C-C-Crazy Japanese netizens!

hosannainexcelsis said:
Any particular reason for this outburst against Koreans or is it just your typical Japanese xenophobia?

As mentioned before, there has been backlash towards increasing presence of Korean products and entertainment in Japan. The backlash has recently gotten bigger with many Japanese hating how Korean singers enter the Japanese music industry without a proper grasp of the language and culture. Sounds fair but it's becoming a boycott of all things Korean. I'd normally chalk this up to a vocal minority but this has gotten a lot more pervasive in the recent months.

It'll be really interesting to see how this develops in the coming months.

M3d10n

hosannainexcelsis said:
Blaming and hating the "others" is standard practice in economically troubled countries with traditionally high ethnic homogeneity.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Aeana said:
Many amazon reviews talk for loss of MHP3 saves.

Aeana

Chris1964 said:
Many amazon reviews talk for loss of MHP3 saves.
A lot of the blatantly obvious ones have been removed by Amazon, it seems, but they are organizing elsewhere to bring the rating down, that's for sure.

The legitimate complaints will be lost in the sea of manufactured outrage.

Cheezus crackers, don't you guys know any history? The Chinese, Japanese and Koreans share a lot of bad history between them. Their's is a ancient deep seated disdain.

Datschge

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Cheezus crackers, don't you guys know any history? The Chinese, Japanese and Koreans share a lot of bad history between them. Their's is a ancient deep seated disdain.
Koreans to Japan is somewhat understandable, but Japaneses hating toward all things Korean is misplaced and considering the current real issues in the country it's a completely unnecessary kindergarten fight with a close neighbor. They should be above such stuff.

hosannainexcelsis said:

This just shows the power of 2ch, it's a vocal minority of people upset over Korean Culture taking over Japan, it's been extremely prominent in the rise of Korean idols and dramas in the past years.

The tipping point this time seems to have been a Japanese Actor who made comments about there being too many korean dramas in Japan and getting fired for having made thoese comments.

Mpl90

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
This just shows the power of 2ch, it's a vocal minority of people upset over Korean Culture taking over Japan, it's been extremely prominent in the rise of Korean idols and dramas in the past years.

The tipping point this time seems to have been a Japanese Actor who made comments about there being too many korean dramas in Japan and getting fired for having made thoese comments.

And the comment has become the starter of the new protest, with the minority following his story to have a reason for protest, right?
FFDog, how is the situation about MH, PS3, 3DS, Black Rock, etc. etc. ?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Speaking of Black Rock Shooter. Was Final Promise Story considered a success?

ULTROS! said:
Speaking of Black Rock Shooter. Was Final Promise Story considered a success?

Spent the month of May crawling to (just shy of?) 100k, which was below expectations.
I think imageepoch was hoping for 150k+
I succinctly remember if hanging in the top 20 for a few weeks, getting to about 90~k, then dropping to 50th spot.

Mpl90 said:
However, now that I think about it, next year is the 5th Anniversary for Layton!

If they're going to celebrate even a 5th anniversary, we should expect collections over collections every week for every series... Layton 6 and the crossover will be out next year whatever the anniversary. Layton 6 probably in february and the crossover at the end of the year... Gyakutan Saiban fans are particularly hungry of Phoenix.

Mpl90

electroplankton said:
If they're going to celebrate even a 5th anniversary, we should expect collections over collections every week for every series... Layton 6 and the crossover will be out next year whatever the anniversary. Layton 6 probably in february and the crossover at the end of the year... Gyakutan Saiban fans are particularly hungry of Phoenix.

But Layton has been the first great success for Level 5 as a indipendent software house.
Maybe, they are even preparing a whole new movie about Layton!
We'll see

Mpl90 said:
But Layton has been the first great success for Level 5 as a indipendent software house.
Maybe, they are even preparing a whole new movie about Layton!
We'll see

But after just 5 years it doesn't make so sense to celebrate an anniversary, maybe after 10 (they did to commemorate the foundation). Surely they've a lot of Layton stuffs, maybe also a Wii U episode since Hino talked about the possibility to port some DS game on that console.

Mpl90

djplaeskool said:
Spent the month of May crawling to (just shy of?) 100k, which was below expectations.
I think imageepoch was hoping for 150k+
I succinctly remember if hanging in the top 20 for a few weeks, getting to about 90~k, then dropping to 50th spot.

Famitsu data updated till 27th June

062. [PSP] Final Promise Story (Image Epoch) {2011.04.28} - 88.814 / 88.814

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
electroplankton said:
Not so good.
Imageepoch CEO expected 150k http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/17/fps_sales/
but I feel it was just a hope more than a financial mark. 100k copies were enough to recover all costs of production in my opinion.
Yeah he basically says that in the article.

AndriaSang said:
In a Twitter post today, Mikage said that he feels Final Promise Story, the first self-published title from the RPG developer, can sell beyond the 100,000 mark. He also believes 150,000 is in reach.

200,000 is like a wall, though. If aiming for above 200,000, costs for development and promotions grow an order of magnitude.

For web-based promotions, Mikage feels that 200,000 is the limit. Beyond this, you have to pay hundreds of millions of yen for television ads, which Mikage refers to as "Nintendo style."

He refers to 100,000 as being a "mini smash hit."
I assume their break even point was likely below 100K if they consider that point a mini smash hit, but they really wanted 150K because it helps build their brand and audience a lot, and would validate their strategy of pushing new JRPGs.

Takao

Banned
Mpl90 said:
When things like these happen, I'm a bit sad :(

Next year is Medarot's 15th Anniversary.

I will get nothing but the probable reality that Medarot 3D has been canceled ...

Datschge said:
Koreans to Japan is somewhat understandable, but Japaneses hating toward all things Korean is misplaced and considering the current real issues in the country it's a completely unnecessary kindergarten fight with a close neighbor. They should be above such stuff.
How can someone hate South Korea with Won Bin and all the hot women?

onken

I love the way everybody is completely taking Aeana's unsourced post as absolute fact. I'm going through the Amazon 1-star reviews now and they're all just complaining about the lazy port job. Some of the more common complaints:

- ad-hoc connection process complicated and not explained at all
- low res HUD and icons, general UI issues
- it's quite easy to wipe your PSP save by accident by transferring in the wrong direction
- no control configuration

I was going to do more but there are so many complaints I don't know where to stop. Of course we really know that there's no problems at all and they're just making it up because everyone hates Korea.

The second graph concerns cumulative software sales?
Anyway, it seems 3DS is following DS path in the last 3 months, even if with a lower profile. I hope in December it'll manage to sell at least half of what DS did back in 2005...

electroplankton said:
The second graph concerns cumulative software sales?
Looks like YTD hardware for 3DS in 2011 and DS/PSP in 2005.

The software equivalent through this time of year using Garaph Famitsu data looks something like

DS: 3.0 M
3DS: 2.1 M
PSP: 1.2 M

JoshuaJSlone said:
Looks like YTD hardware for 3DS in 2011 and DS/PSP in 2005.

The software equivalent through this time of year using Garaph Famitsu data looks something like

DS: 3.0 M
3DS: 2.1 M
PSP: 1.2 M

Thanks.
3DS is not performing so bad when it comes to software.

onken said:
I love the way everybody is completely taking Aeana's unsourced post as absolute fact. I'm going through the Amazon 1-star reviews now and they're all just complaining about the lazy port job. Some of the more common complaints:

- ad-hoc connection process complicated and not explained at all
- low res HUD and icons, general UI issues
- it's quite easy to wipe your PSP save by accident by transferring in the wrong direction
- no control configuration

I was going to do more but there are so many complaints I don't know where to stop. Of course we really know that there's no problems at all and they're just making it up because everyone hates Korea.

Yeah, would help if people actually read the comments of the poor reviews. Even if you can't read Japanese a simple Google translation suffices. As far as some nation-wide anti Korean backlash or boycotting of Korean things, I live in Tokyo and deal with a broad cross section of Japanese everyday and I'm not seeing it.

Chris1964 said:
DS had an average and PSP a bad software start. Outperforming PSP doesn't mean many things.

In terms of software releases, obviously.
No Mario, a Pokémon game just now, third parties on average... In my opinion, it's not that bad.

firelink

Banned
electroplankton said:
In terms of software releases, obviously.
No Mario, a Pokémon game just now, third parties on average... In my opinion, it's not that bad.

I agree. For an over-priced (not my opinion) piece of hardware with somewhat limited software, the 3DS is performing good. It is staying ahead of the PSP and the PSP was a late bloomer. I wish people understood that the 3DS could be too.

Mpl90

electroplankton said:
Thanks.
3DS is not performing so bad when it comes to software.

Actually, the tie ratio is

Tie Ratio

3DS - 1,4
NDS - 1,35
PSP - 1,3

However, just for curiosity, I saw the week after launch of 3DS, for a comparison of drops in hardware and one particular game ( Nintendogs ) between the week after launch and the one after the price kill, and this is what I found.
In the week after the launch, at a 44% drop in hardware sales corresponded a 30% drop for Nintendogs.
This time, strangely, it's even better, because, with a 46% drop of 3DS sold , Nintendogs saw a 23% drop.
Little indeed.
I used Nintendogs because it's a game for mass audience, and such a little fall could be a sign of good thing for 3DS in the near future: good /very good hardware sales sustained by Nintendogs... and also Zelda, seeing that also OoT 3D saw a 32% drop.

And what happened then to 3DS makes me think that the tragedy has basically stopped its momentum very badly, with no advertising or electricity in some parts of the country and all the rest...

donny2112

Dash Kappei said:
DS had a Mario at launch.

Which was outsold by Wario Ware: Touched! and wasn't even the first million-seller on the system. Just having a Mario game, even a true Mario game, at launch doesn't necessarily make things a lot better. :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
donny2112 said:
Which was outsold by Wario Ware: Touched! and wasn't even the first million-seller on the system. Just having a Mario game, even a true Mario game, at launch doesn't necessarily make things a lot better. :)
Nope, only LTD.
Mario tracked better than Touched during the launch period, >100k difference by year's end it had a +20% in sales versus WW. Regardless, my argument was that at the moment it's totally unfair to make a comparison between the old-gen handhelds and 3DS's launch regarding software tie-ratio, 3DS is still faring better than it should really (ie poor, imo).

donny2112 said:
It was still just a port.

Top Bottom