• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2012 (Sep 24 - Sep 30)

EDF3 bombed 'cause it was only on 360. Yeah, EDF3P bombed cause it was on Vita, but I think expectations were a little higher. It's not really an issue of, say, game quality.

Nah, WS only reached 940k. Even if you combine WS, WSC, and SC, that entire family only reached 1.76MM.

The wonderswan stream crossing was meant as a joke, however seeing that combined total for the wonderswan family makes me wonder if vita will finish lower than them

The wonderswan stream crossing was meant as a joke, however seeing that combined total for the wonderswan family makes me wonder if vita will finish lower than them

It mainly depends on the west now. A turnaround in the west could help them to keep Vita alive in a 360 like manner in Japan.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It mainly depends on the west now. A turnaround in the west could help them to keep Vita alive in a 360 like manner in Japan.

A turnaround in Japan is more likely than one in the West.

Celine

Total shipment is 3.32M.
It was only distributed in Japan and other asian markets (the 1.7M sold sound too low).

That would take a large amount of financial investment, in production, advertisements and (apparently needed) moneyhats to get that relaunch. Do you think Sony is in a position to do this? Company wide they are hurting, worse the game division isnt really hot right now either. I just don't see it.

Read the sentence immediately following the one you bolded.

Jaruru

I would be surprised if there was a worse one, since I think almost none of the other failing consoles were from companies with two notable platforms.

Maybe the Virtual Boy?

at least nobody expected the Virtual Boy to be the next BIG thing, not even Nintendo maybe.

I wonder if Sony will make a come back with a PSP2. did they ever say Vita is the PSP2?

beril

Do you think it won't reach 2 million ?

Honestly I have no idea. It would be pretty shocking if it didn't, but at this point there's really nothing indicating than it can reach it, other than the fact that it seems unthinkable that a sony platform would be killed of that quickly.

During the PS3s rough early years it still had lots of third party support and lots of big titles on the horizon; and it kept getting support despite low sales, partly because of the cross platform games for the western market, and partly because no one seemed to want to work on wii games. But the vita doesn't really have anything on the near horizon and there's not a strong incitament for developers to start working on Vita games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
at least nobody expected the Virtual Boy to be the next BIG thing, not even Nintendo maybe.

I wonder if Sony will make a come back with a PSP2. did they ever say Vita is the PSP2?

If the Vita entirely keels over, I'm pretty sure they'll just focus entirely on PlayStation Mobile and their Android phones for the portable front.

It would be fairly consistent with what is actually successful in Japan outside of the 3DS anyway.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If I've read the Famitsu.com article right

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 for Wii U comes on the same date of PS3 and 360 Dubbed SKUs, 12/20/2012.
Call of Duty Black Ops: Classified for Vita comes on the 20th December as well.

A turnaround in Japan is more likely than one in the West.

I thought so for a while, but honestly Japan looks pretty much finished at this point. On the other hand in the west, there is still Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, along with Sony's first party titles which actually mean something, even if it's a little over there. There's the cross buy promotion which is much more attractive in the west. I honestly don't see either territories recovering, but based on what we know the system has a much more attractive western lineup than in Japan

btw; what caused the dreamcasts turnaround in week 31? S

Pricecut

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think that in the west the anticipated idea of bundling Vita and PS3 promoting the cross-platform game could be interesting for real.
In Japan, I don't think so.

test_account

XP-39C²
Useless in the sense that it doesn't bring anything new to the market anymore and everything could find its place on 3DS.
As long as it sells, it isnt useless. The top selling game this week was a PSP game for example, so it shows that people are still interested. The most important thing is that the developer/publisher makes money. Not much point switching platform if they dont see the need for it.

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

Well last week's report got buried in a "will 3DS get Type-O" avalanche, so I'm not sure if these are still useful. Still I like doing the "report" so I'll keep it up for now.

1. DoA 5 displays and Kiosks all over. Didn't see any TV ads for it but in game stores it was well represented.

2. Girls Mode DD cards are available at all the same places as Oni Training and NSMB2. I am dying to know how many of these are selling. One of the workers at a shop that sells both said "a lot less than the cart" but my friend who works at the 7-11 says they sell a lot better than the physical carts.

3. Speaking of 7-11 the one near my house has had 2 copies of Final Fantasy XIII in the store since launch. Unlike game stores they never lowered the price (I don't think they can) so they are still over 9000yen and getting more and more sun-faded all the time. They also have had a copy of the DVD "Night at the Museum 2" there for at least as long, and one full priced copy of Dragon Quest IX. I can see why the DD cards might be their best bet.

4. The 7-11 did however sell all three of the copies of Dragon Quest X they had. Haven't seen it sell out anywhere else but it hasn't hit the bomba bin either so that is a good sign.

5. Still no WiiU advertising. It's weird. Still some of my students seem to know that NSMBU is coming, but I am not sure if all of them realize it's for a new console. Fix this Nintendo.

6. Saw an Xbox HD DVD drive at a recycle shop. Totally forgot about that thing. I couldn't remember if it even had a Japanese release. I don't even have a Japanese 360, but I considered buying it just for novelty. I think I have seen like 10 HD DVD disks in Japan ever.

7. Found something called the N64 Biosensor at a Book-net. It's a boi feedback devide for the N64 that clipped to your ear and worked with the game Tetris 64. Seems that the never released Vitality Sensor for the Wii has an ancestor.

8. Used Vitas at every store. I really wonder what percent of the total Vitas sold are currently at game stores and recycle shops. Lots of Used Wii systems too. 3rd party games on the cheap, Nintendo 1st party stuff is holding it's value well. [Except for Wii Music at 980 yen]

9. Used 3DS units fairly common (about 2000-4000yen less than retail depending on condition), saw a few used 3DS LL units but selling only slightly under retail.

10. No sellout from the new releases at any stores as far as I could see.

11. Didn't see a single Vita ad this week on television. Saw about 10 for 3DS software, about the same number for PS3 software. 1 for Wii. Been about 2 years since I have seen a 360 ad (though to be fair they have some 360 ads running at game store kiosks).

12. Bought some Kirby Bubble Gum. It's pink and tastes how I would expect Kirby tastes.

Well last week's report got buried in a "will 3DS get Type-O" avalanche, so I'm not sure if these are still useful. Still I doing the "report" so I'll keep it up for now.

I don't post in MC threads every week, but I really like your impressions so please keep doing them.

It's much more interesting than "the Vita will be saved by something we don't even know about," which ends up with the exact same conversation we've had a million times.

Kenka

Hi Vinnk, your input is always appreciated, thank you to take the time to write about the current market in your location. One thing stroke me more than usual in your musings:

7. Found something called the N64 Biosensor at a Book-net. It's a boi feedback devide for the N64 that clipped to your ear and worked with the game Tetris 64. Seems that the never released Vitality Sensor for the Wii has an ancestor.
SPOCK-WTF.gif

How come I never heard of that? Seems impossible that something that big flew under my radar.

12. Bought some Kirby Bubble Gum. It's pink and tastes how I would expect Kirby tastes.
OK, Japan still knows how to win.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
5. Still no WiiU advertising. It's weird. Still some of my students seem to know that NSMBU is coming, but I am not sure if all of them realize it's for a new console.

I know there have been a few Monster Hunter 3G HD ads out there and Monster Hunter was featured this week in Famitsu. I assume Nintendo will be gearing up soon.

kswiston

Yep. I think Vita will have a longer lifespan though. Or at least I hope so. BTW, Dreamcast only reached 1.92MM in its ~3 years.

Dreamcast had a much longer lifespan in Japan than it did in the west. Not only was it released a year earlier, but it received over 50 Japanese retail releases after 2002, and was manufactured until 2006 or so. Even if we exclude the last couple of years where it was getting less than 5 games annually, the Dreamcast was supported for around 5 years in Japan.

Kinvara

Dreamcast had a much longer lifespan in Japan than it did in the west. Not only was it released a year earlier, but it received over 50 Japanese retail releases after 2002, and was manufactured until 2006 or so. Even if we exclude the last couple of years where it was getting less than 5 games annually, the Dreamcast was supported for around 5 years in Japan.

Maybe the PSV will have a longer lifespan in the West?

/wishful thinking

Vinnk

I know there have been a few Monster Hunter 3G HD ads out there and Monster Hunter was featured this week in Famitsu. I assume Nintendo will be gearing up soon.

Saw those ads online but haven't seen them "in the wild" yet. Hopefully soon.

Hi Vinnk, your input is always appreciated, thank you to take the time to write about the current market in your location. One thing stroke me more than usual in your musings:

SPOCK-WTF.gif

How come I never heard of that? Seems impossible that something that big flew under my radar.

Wasn't so big. Only worked with one game. Also it was made by a third party (Seta). Still, blew my mind when I found it.

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

Well last week's report got buried in a "will 3DS get Type-O" avalanche, so I'm not sure if these are still useful. Still I like doing the "report" so I'll keep it up for now.

1. DoA 5 displays and Kiosks all over. Didn't see any TV ads for it but in game stores it was well represented.

2. Girls Mode DD cards are available at all the same places as Oni Training and NSMB2. I am dying to know how many of these are selling. One of the workers at a shop that sells both said "a lot less than the cart" but my friend who works at the 7-11 says they sell a lot better than the physical carts.

3. Speaking of 7-11 the one near my house has had 2 copies of Final Fantasy XIII in the store since launch. Unlike game stores they never lowered the price (I don't think they can) so they are still over 9000yen and getting more and more sun-faded all the time. They also have had a copy of the DVD "Night at the Museum 2" there for at least as long, and one full priced copy of Dragon Quest IX. I can see why the DD cards might be their best bet.

4. The 7-11 did however sell all three of the copies of Dragon Quest X they had. Haven't seen it sell out anywhere else but it hasn't hit the bomba bin either so that is a good sign.

5. Still no WiiU advertising. It's weird. Still some of my students seem to know that NSMBU is coming, but I am not sure if all of them realize it's for a new console. Fix this Nintendo.

6. Saw an Xbox HD DVD drive at a recycle shop. Totally forgot about that thing. I couldn't remember if it even had a Japanese release. I don't even have a Japanese 360, but I considered buying it just for novelty. I think I have seen like 10 HD DVD disks in Japan ever.

8. Used Vitas at every store. I really wonder what percent of the total Vitas sold are currently at game stores and recycle shops. Lots of Used Wii systems too. 3rd party games on the cheap, Nintendo 1st party stuff is holding it's value well. [Except for Wii Music at 980 yen]

9. Used 3DS units fairly common (about 2000-4000yen less than retail depending on condition), saw a few used 3DS LL units but selling only slightly under retail.

10. No sellout from the new releases at any stores as far as I could see.

11. Didn't see a single Vita ad this week on television. Saw about 10 for 3DS software, about the same number for PS3 software. 1 for Wii. Been about 2 years since I have seen a 360 ad (though to be fair they have some 360 ads running at game store kiosks).

Nice.
It's interesting to see how different may be retailers selling the same products. The download cards for games may really be a big thing in the coming years.

Celine

Yeah how?
Bio-Tetris/Tetris 64 was cited a few times in the vitality sensor threads :p

Gum that tastes like Kirby blows my mind though.

Top Bottom