• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2012 (Sep 24 - Sep 30)

also

Banned
09./00.[PSV] Earth Defense Force 3 Portable - Double-enlistment Pack <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2012.09.27} (¥6.090) - 14.827 / NEW
13./00. [PSV] Earth Defense Force 3 Portable <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2012.09.27} (¥6.090) - 12.952 / NEW

Shouldn't the double pack cost more?
Amazon has it listed for ¥7,329.

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

Still I like doing the "report" so I'll keep it up for now
Yes!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm imagining Kirby bubble gum to be exactly the same as Bubble Yum, except with different packaging and shaped spherically instead of as a rectangular prism

Last SD Gundam games (Famitsu)

[PSP] SD Gundam G Generation: World (Bandai Namco) - 222.790 / 336.699 / 66,17% 24/02/11
[WII] SD Gundam G Generation: World (Bandai Namco) - 28.256 / 33.155 / 85,22% 25/12/08
[3DS] SD Gundam G Generation 3D (Bandai Namco) - 83.456 / 139.491 / 59,83% 22/12/11

SD Gundam G Generation: Overworld did 202.887 according to Famitsu.

graphjap39.png

(blue = first week)

According to Sony, selling less than the Dreamcast in the same period is meeting expectations so no worries.

They won't be able to keep saying that after they revise their handheld sales projections downward again on Nov. 1.

Oh, wait, they will, because Professional Gaming Journalists won't press them on it.

Nekki

Yall should be careful with those PSV predictions.

There's something we don't know yet.

Mega Man Legends 3.

Awesome, i wasn't here at the time you used to do your reports, but i heard great things and it does not disappoint :D i hope you keep it up for as long as you can!!

Interesting bit about the Biosensor, i too have never heard of it. And the bubblegum was of course hilarious lol.

I reiterate my point that the download cards are a good move. Maybe it got buried into the conversation, but could you try getting any feedback on what retailers think about the whole "download card" thing?.

Spiegel

graphjap39.png

(blue = first week)

I know nothing about the actual games but is there a reason why you aren't listing other games (looking at garaph: Portable, 3D, Advanced, Crossdrive)?

I'm guessing, looking at the names, that Portable, 3D and Advanced are more like handheld spinoffs in terms of the brand?

Vinnk

And condoms.

wait, that actually could be a good idea

Back in the day Nintendo owned love hotels so there might have actually been condoms with Nintendo branding. Then again that was in like (I believe) the 60s so maybe not..

I reiterate my point that the download cards are a good move. Maybe it got buried into the conversation, but could you try getting any feedback on what retailers think about the whole "download card" thing?.

The stores that make most of their money on used games are a bit scared of them. Department stores are putting them front and center. Maybe since they have nothing to earn from the secondhand market.

I wonder a couple things about the download cards.

- Do retailers will make more profit off them? The savings of manufacturing/shipping download cards is a lot, and some could be passed to retailers as an incentive to sell them.

- If the cards don't sell, can retailers sell back the cards and get their money back?

Lovely report Vink, as a MC thread lurker I always really looked forward to them.

I never imagined Kirby tasting like cola though, I always imagined that he'd taste more like cotton candy... or maybe chicken.

- Do retailers will make more profit off them? The savings of manufacturing/shipping download cards is a lot, and some could be passed to retailers as an incentive to sell them.

- If the cards don't sell, can retailers sell back the cards and get their money back?
I always thought that the cards themselves had no value until they're rung up, like a gift card. I could be totally off base though.

Dragon

Banned
They won't be able to keep saying that after they revise their handheld sales projections downward again on Nov. 1.

Oh, wait, they will, because Professional Gaming Journalists won't press them on it.

I don't know what you're referring to but there aren't many journalists I read that are saying anything remotely positive about the Vita.

I don't know what you're referring to but there aren't many journalists I read that are saying anything remotely positive about the Vita.

Oh, I'm absolutely not saying that journalists are biased towards Vita, because they aren't. I'm saying that they're generally biased against asking questions of interview subjects that might come across as overly adversarial.

I haven't seen one interview where a journalist follows up an obviously bullshit "we're satisfied with Vita sales" quote by asking about Sony's own official sales forecasts, even though it seems like an obvious question.

As for the first point, I remember someone writing here that actually Nintendo doesn't let to have a higher margin on cards, if not a lower margin than physical copies, but I'm not completely sure. The fact is that, sure, many costs are not there anymore but they still must be shipped so distribution costs still remain.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yay Ys!

It's always nice to see Falcom doing well. They're is still the biggest reason I want a Vita, it could be my Falcom game player if I get one.

Don't know why people keep bringing up in comparision to the Vita. It took the PS3 around the same amount of time to hit a million in Japan.

liger05

I still think there is a difference with how the internet reacts to nintendo and sony.

When the 3DS was struggling I was reading all kinds of articles, blogs etc which were all saying nintendo was doomed and the 3DS was a failure etc etc. Smartphone sites especially laying the boot in. Now with the vita I dont really see the same reaction. whether that was because nintendo is the market leader I dont know but there is a difference.

Don't know why people keep bringing up in comparision to the Vita. It took the PS3 around the same amount of time to hit a million in Japan.

Shouldn't we be comparing the vita its predecessor in the PSP or its competition which is the 3DS.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Though tbf that's not exactly a positve comparison. One the handheld market in Japan is currently a lot bigger than the home console market, back then, and two the PS3 was far, far more expensive at that period of time.

I still think there is a difference with how the internet reacts to nintendo and sony.

When the 3DS was struggling I was reading all kinds of articles, blogs etc which were all saying nintendo was doomed and the 3DS was a failure etc etc. Smartphone sites especially laying the boot in. Now with the vita I dont really see the same reaction. whether that was because nintendo is the market leader I dont know but there is a difference.

The war is over, the 3DS proved theres a market there - Vita proved it didn't fit that market.
We're pretty much done.

Is it wrong to assume that soul sacrifice will out sell every vita title including persona and miku?

Also is 3ds surpassing ps3 this year ?

It's a wild card right now, although releasing around the same time as MH4 isn't the wisest thing to do. I'd say it has a chance to with the right marketing/advertising. For the 3DS, I'm pretty sure is has little to no chance of not outselling the PS3 by the end of the year.

saichi

12. Bought some Kirby Bubble Gum. It's pink and tastes how I would expect Kirby tastes.

poor Kirby :(

3. Speaking of 7-11 the one near my house has had 2 copies of Final Fantasy XIII in the store since launch. Unlike game stores they never lowered the price (I don't think they can) so they are still over 9000yen and getting more and more sun-faded all the time. They also have had a copy of the DVD "Night at the Museum 2" there for at least as long, and one full priced copy of Dragon Quest IX. I can see why the DD cards might be their best bet.

hahaha...funny

Thanks for the report!

EDIT:

Back in the day Nintendo owned love hotels so there might have actually been condoms with Nintendo branding. Then again that was in like (I believe) the 60s so maybe not..

blows my mind!

also

Banned
When asked, Iwata didn't want to disclose the details but he did say this:
''If I may add one thing, however, I picked up an example of the POSA system during my presentation today. If the retailers can sell our software without having to shoulder the inventory risks, it is natural in fair business transactions that there will be changes in their margins, for which the inventory risks are taken into consideration.''

This leads me to believe that retailers have lower margins on the cards compared to physical copies. It would also explain why the cards are priced higher; retailers want the same amount of profit from both kind of sales.

Iwata:
''In addition, if they make use of a technology called POSA (Point Of Sales Activation), where they can have a software exchange code without any inventory value and their purchase is realized when a consumer buys the software and activates the software exchange code through a POS register, they do not have to stock the inventory until the actual sale occurs, which further increases the advantages of this distribution system.''

It seems the cards have no value until they are sold, so retailers probably pay next to nothing for them and overstocking must not be a problem.

Nekki

Haha wow this MC thread has given me a lot of info.. not related to games XD.

The stores that make most of their money on used games are a bit scared of them. Department stores are putting them front and center. Maybe since they have nothing to earn from the secondhand market.

Makes sense. Don't want to be sensationalistic and blow it out of proportion though :p.

Very insightful, thanks a lot!

BadWolf

Had a look at the current 3DS lineup (in light of Vita's very possible early death) and got reminded why I want the Vita to succeed so much, that library just isn't for me. Only game i could see myself getting is RE Revelations :/

Starting from November with the new releases and 3DS LL the sales are going to be HUGE for Nintendo.

Also, poor DJ Max ;_;

Had a look at the current 3DS lineup (in light of Vita's very possible early death) and got reminded why I want the Vita to succeed so much, that library just isn't for me. Only game i could see myself getting is RE Revelations :/

I don't think Vita's lineup is much better in America. If you are talking Japan then lol.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Does anyone knows if the downloadable codes are already printed on the cards or the on the purchase receipts?

Today I ate a lot of cookies... Woops, wrong thread.

You need Paper Mario in your life. Or Kid Icarus. PSP ports your thing?

That would be far too sensible

It would be the best way to manage game discounts but I'm really not sure how they do it. Does anyone know how B&M retailers like BestBuy manage selling online purchase cards for Amazon, iTunes, etc. ?

Although I guess those would be bad examples since those would always be a $ for $ fixed price.

Celine

And?
PS3 haven't done that well in Japan.

Although the main worry is software related.
PS3 (as PSP) contrary to Vita was seen as a probable winner, in Japan many non-Nintendo big sellers were already planned for it.
In the west despite the so-so sales in first few years it was the de-facto twin with the 360, so it got the ports from it.

It's yet to be seen what support will publishers continue to give after the first few tries especially if it continue to sell abysmally as it has done until now.

Hobby

Two tidbits: Sinobi is saying there's a retailer meeting with Nintendo on 10/4. Also, apparently sales of the download cards for NSMB2 and OniTore aren't too hot.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Two tidbits: Sinobi is saying there's a retailer meeting with Nintendo on 10/4. Also, apparently sales of the download cards for NSMB2 and OniTore aren't too hot.

Basically, in some hours.

Top Bottom