• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2012 (Jan 23 - Jan 29)

wrowa

It's going to be interesting to see whether RE:R or Armored Core is going to have the higher LTD as of this week.

For the sake of GameArts I hope that this week isn't a super slow one. Being in the 4th place could equal to some pretty low numbers.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Monster Hunter 3G above Mario Kart 7 and 3D Land? Consider me surprised.
Hoping Rhythm Thief had a good third week.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
60-70k? Too high. It'll be at 30-35k. 40k if it's lucky.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I hope RE will reach 200k this week

Wait, what!?
No way!
I think that Soulc Calibur will be maximum around 60K...

But good hanging for ReR, especially if Capcom didn't arrange a second shipment. It could have easily sold it's first one in two week, if the 75% of sell trhough of last week was true

Big drop for ACV, but it already did GREAT last week for its debut, and for ToI R that confirm both Vita's software "so and so" performance also with established "sony" franchises after Dinasty warriors and Ridge Racer worst performance compared to the 3DS iterations ones (but Ridge racer is due also to the "demo" game they did in terms of contents...)

Very good legs for MHTri G: ok still being in top ten, ok still being over MarioLand, but being over Mario Kart is amazing.

I hope Rhythm Thief was able to manage some more .K copies this week: I would love to see it reaching at least 70K LTD.

I guess Nintendo couldn't be happier seeing how MonHan is now the No1 game that is not a new release.
Also, I'm sick and am currently using the updated PS3 browser while lying in bed. Works pretty good. :3

Takao

Banned
Not a huge success (has someone said that? nvm), but surely not really far from what Level-5 expected.

They shipped 400k week 1 and sold 35% of that. I think Level-5 would've rather have shipped 200k and not risk the stigma of having another price collapse bomba after the Ni No Kuni franchise.

Inazuma Eleven Go is the first Inazuma Eleven on Nintendo systems, guys.

Yeah you know that wasn't what I meant.

gogogow

They shipped 400k week 1 and sold 35% of that. I think Level-5 would've rather have shipped 200k and not risk the stigma of having another price collapse bomba after the Ni No Kuni franchise.

So how bad is the price collapse on this one? Was it as bad as Ni no Kuni? I haven't seen Chris post photos about it or maybe I just didn't see them.

Takao

Banned
So how bad is the price collapse on this one? Was it as bad as Ni no Kuni? I haven't seen Chris post photos about it or maybe I just didn't see them.

I don't know if there were any price collapses. I think Level-5 got really lucky that they launched during the holiday season with retailers hoping increased Inazuma Eleven franchise marketing would help it. That said, I have a feeling retailers aren't going to be so enthusiastic towards further Go titles.

If Go launched during the summer like the series usually does I think it'd be in the same bins Ni No Kuni was in.

DGRE

Banned

Yeah you know that wasn't what I meant.

I'm not sure what it is you have against the 3DS...

Ni No Kuni on PS3 was the bomb of biblical proportions. 3DS has done quite well for them by contrast.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Should we post every week the list of 3rd parties titles that performed/are performing positively on 3ds?
I hope not...

That said: I'm curious about Ragnarok numbers: let's wait for Media Create! :)

Takao

Banned
I'm not sure what it is you have against the 3DS...

Ni No Kuni on PS3 was the bomb of biblical proportions. 3DS has done quite well for them by contrast.

The conversation was about how Inazuma Eleven sells on Nintendo platforms, not about Ni No Kuni. If you want I can talk about that.

I can also talk about how badly the totally unrelated Gravity Daze will do next week.

If you want my overall opinion I think the only titles Level-5 launched in the fall that met or exceeded expectations were Inazuma Eleven Strikers 2012 and maybe LBX Boost. IE Go didn't do well, and NNK PS3 is a big bomba.

My opinion of the 3DS really has nothing to with this either. I've been following Go for literally months now. I find it interesting to witness a franchise rise and collapse before my very own eyes.

Again this discussion? Really?
IE Go was released in December, and it showed good legs, which means that those shipment numbers were not totally out of the reality. We didn't see price cuts as they occurred for Ni no Kuni last year, or shelves full of unsold copies. You can keep on saying that IE Go went to sell really bad, under expectations, Level-5 dead, third party dead on Nintendo systems and so on, btw.

I don't think Level-5 is capable of expecting that sort of franchise decline. Otherwise they'd have new potential million-selling IPs lined up already.

IE has been released on a new console, surely a platform which didn't have so many kids as the DS back in the days. They shipped 400k, they went to sell 380k.

Erethian

IE has been released on a new console, surely a platform which didn't have so many kids as the DS back in the days. They shipped 400k, they went to sell 380k.

The franchise is still in decline, even if the extent of that decline was exacerbated by being on a new platform with a smaller install base. Same goes for Layton, though to a lesser extent.

And there's nothing necessarily wrong about that; some franchises have an arc, though more so when they're released yearly. The main problem Level-5 has, as I see it, is that they haven't done a good enough job of leveraging the larger markets in the US, and especially Europe, quickly enough, and they haven't had effective transition plans in place so they can pump out a new major cross media IP the moment the older one reaches the end of its life.

Really we should have been hearing by now about a new IP to coincide with the 3DS; even better if they had a title out already that could steadily build, and then they release the next entry in the series a year or 18 months from now to really hit that peak.

Level-5 is known to overship their products, I think you are overreacting.

Inazuma is approaching 400k sold and there's no way you can that a failure.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't know if there were any price collapses. I think Level-5 got really lucky that they launched during the holiday season with retailers hoping increased Inazuma Eleven franchise marketing would help it. That said, I have a feeling retailers aren't going to be so enthusiastic towards further Go titles.

If Go launched during the summer like the series usually does I think it'd be in the same bins Ni No Kuni was in.

So what your point than - if they had launched GO in the summer it would be a BOMBA ? L5 will have released + 400-500K sellers in the 3DS first years. I dont think they`ll be to disappointed with those sales.

The franchise is still in decline, even if the extent of that decline was exacerbated by being on a new platform with a smaller install base. Same goes for Layton, though to a lesser extent.

And there's nothing necessarily wrong about that; some franchises have an arc, though more so when they're released yearly. The main problem Level-5 has, as I see it, is that they haven't done a good enough job of leveraging the larger markets in the US, and especially Europe, quickly enough, and they haven't had effective transition plans in place so they can pump out a new major cross media IP the moment the older one reaches the end of its life.

Really we should have been hearing by now about a new IP to coincide with the 3DS; even better if they had a title out already that could steadily build, and then they release the next entry in the series a year or 18 months from now to really hit that peak.

I'm sure Level-5 was aware both Layton and Inazume Eleven would have performed lower on 3DS than their last entry on DS, even though the former was already in decline, while the latter kept its momentum with a third version and summing all three episodes numbers were greater than the previous chapter.

Then, Level-5 could start from somewhere on 3DS; imo, Inazuma Eleven Go sold well, it's having kind of legs and it's pretty close to the first shipment, while Layton suffered more but still put +350k copies. I think we will have a more clear situation with Layton 6 and Go 2: if they both sell less than the first entries on 3DS, then we can say Level-5 is in trouble and blablabla but I don't see this very likely. Level-5 partially succeeded to bring its fanbase on 3DS, and with a higher installed base, it can only (well, I hope) have bigger numbers.

Takao

Banned
Again this discussion? Really?
IE Go was released in December, and it showed good legs, which means that those shipment numbers were not totally out of the reality. We didn't see price cuts as they occurred for Ni no Kuni last year, or shelves full of unsold copies. You can keep on saying that IE Go went to sell really bad, under expectations, Level-5 dead, third party dead on Nintendo systems and so on, btw.

The reason why I mentioned the game's first week shipment was as a response towards expectations. You don't ship 400k on week 1 in December and expect to sell through that in February. It's going to hurt the franchise in the long term (not that I think IE has much longer to go) since I doubt it'll always launch in the holiday season, nor do I think there will be many more future films to help leverage these games. I mentioned earlier how IE Go's movie grossed 1/3rd less of what the first one did. The franchise is starting to decay. This started on DS with IE 3, and I suspect it's a problem due to annualized sequels. That means retailers will start to order less.

It has absolutely nothing to do with it being a third party series on Nintendo hardware, but everything to do with Level-5 brand mismanagement. I don't think I've ever insinuated that third party games can't sell on Nintendo hardware. I've laughed at some Scamco efforts that debuted worse on 3DS than they did on PSP despite the user base being in the 3DS's favour but you don't need to think Nintendo suddenly can't sell third party games to laugh at that.

So what your point than - if they had launched GO in the summer it would be a BOMBA ? L5 will have released + 400-500K sellers in the 3DS first years. I dont think they`ll be to disappointed with those sales.

When you look at the numbers without context they do look good, and certainly Level-5 shouldn't be too displeased with them given they've likely made tonnes of money off both releases. But there's a clear problem with their IPs. Unless a magical re-imagining happens I think this will be the high point for IE on 3DS.

The reason why I mentioned the game's first week shipment was as a response towards expectations. You don't ship 400k on week 1 in December and expect to sell through that in February. It's going to hurt the franchise in the long term (not that I think IE has much longer to go) since I doubt it'll always launch in the holiday season, nor do I think there will be many more future films to help leverage these games. I mentioned earlier how IE Go's movie grossed 1/3rd less of what the first one did. The franchise is starting to decay. This started on DS with IE 3, and I suspect it's a problem due to annualized sequels. That means retailers will start to order less.

But since we haven't seen huge price collapses, is it true to say that retailers still are happy to have the game on their shelves? I mean, the game keeps on selling, and it's not far away from the initial shipment, right? Level-5 will be more cautious next time, but it's not that there are 100-150k copies left to sell, like Spirit Tracks or Ni no Kuni. And if you remember, IE GO should have had 200k shipment at first. If retailers asked more, they had good reasons to do that.

It has absolutely nothing to do with it being a third party series on Nintendo hardware, but everything to do with Level-5 brand mismanagement. I don't think I've ever insinuated that third party games can't sell on Nintendo hardware. I've laughed at some Scamco efforts that debuted worse on 3DS than they did on PSP despite the user base being in the 3DS's favour but you don't need to think Nintendo suddenly can't sell third party games to laugh at that.

That was just joking, I love you.

Kenka

eddie-murphy-20050708-52792.jpg

Hey bro! Where are the numbers ?

Top Bottom