• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2012 (Jan 23 - Jan 29)

Spiegel

No, it did good considering especially the Vita's install base and the size of the project.

54k FW/<100k LTD for a Tales game is not good and should get Namco to cancel the other remakes if those are Vita projects.

If you're going to draw this analogy, didn't MGS:pO also launch in the thick of the holiday season?

The holiday season doesn't magically bump games to do high numbers just because. And PO had some nice legs (~360k LTD iirc) on a lower userbase.

stilgar

Needs more Monster Hunter.....

If the one and only way to go out the water is ONE game, from a third party and already out an another platform, well, that sucks. But I'm pretty sure Vita will do fine somehow...with a solid price cut.

M-PG71C

54k FW/<100k LTD for a Tales game is not good and should get Namco to cancel the other remakes if those are Vita projects.

I dunno about that. ToA on 3DS managed, what, roughly 80K at this point? I'm sure Namco will continue to release remakes on both portables as long as they can keep costs low.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For me it was more like: More of the same only that it's portable now.

I suppose the platform holder can't win in that case. They go down the safe route of revisiting existing successful franchises and folks are turned off because they've already played them to death.
I guess we can expect more of that as Vita seems to be positioned as a portable PS3 with similar content.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
If the one and only way to go out the water is ONE game, from a third party and already out an another platform, well, that sucks. But I'm pretty sure Vita will do fine somehow...with a solid price cut.
It doesn't look like they will cut the price any time soon, especially if the western launch is decent. Monster Hunter is needed to increase the install base significantly in Japan, so that the system is in a good position for other games to sell well.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Nintendo/kids/family/popular games on cheap hardware? Sure, but I doubt PO did 170k/360k for being released on the holiday season.

I'm not talking about the 360k, but, dude, if you're denying that everything sells more at the holiday season, I just don't know what to tell you.

First week maybe, LTD no.

I never said anything about LTD.

Takao

Banned
Hm, yeah, it kinda does.

I think the userbase differences would cancel out the holiday boost.

Actually, given Innocence is one of the hated Tales games, and it debuted on hardware with an install base of 500k I'd say it's a good debut. Scamco also has a huge DLC shop for Innocence R, and if people buy there's no doubt there will be more Tales on Vita.

Maedhros

Good luck waiting for this price cut.

Userbase tends to impact casual or mainstream franchises more. This is reflected well by MGS actually, which sold comparably across PS2 and PS3 despite a gigantic userbase disparity.

stilgar

Good luck waiting for this price cut.

Oh it won't happen anytime soon. But the 6 months to come are already guaranteed to be under 3DS domination. I really think it will have a sort of second launch, with a bunch of long awaited titles + price drop in a year or so.

Takao

Banned
Beyond the obvious release date disparity favoring POps, what about franchise strength? I mean isn't Metal Gear more popular than Biohazard these days?

Depends, if you add up all the budget skus RE has a lot more million sellers in Japan than MGS does. Full price it would be MGS over RE though.

Spiegel

I'm not talking about the 360k, but, dude, if you're denying that everything sells more at the holiday season, I just don't know what to tell you.

Again, the holiday season doesn't magically bump games to do high numbers in the first week just because it's the holiday season. The holiday season might help legs in weeks 2-5 but it's not guaranteed outside of the type of games I've listed on the other post.

Beyond the obvious release date disparity favoring POps, what about franchise strength? I mean isn't Metal Gear more popular than Biohazard these days?

RE5 is a million seller in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Oh it won't happen anytime soon. But the 6 months to come are already guaranteed to be under 3DS domination. I really think it will have a sort of second launch, with a bunch of long awaited titles + price drop in a year or so.

I don't see what are these long awaited titles.

saichi

I dunno about that. ToA on 3DS managed, what, roughly 80K at this point? I'm sure Namco will continue to release remakes on both portables as long as they can keep costs low.

thought ToA sold 70K+ first week and way over 100K by now.

Cheech

A year? Vita is dead as dogshit. Is it even doing 3DS launch numbers?

Looking forward to Armored Core V. Have to decide on PS3 vs. 360; probably go PS3 since it's been my official "FROM" box so far. Heh.

matmanx1

I'm left wondering how long Sony will allow Vita to limp along like this before they announce a price cut.

Why are the Japanese not interested in Vita? I thought the line up was pretty solid.

Not much chance of any kind of price move utill Sony gets the deviced launched in all territories and can see what kind of sustained sales to expect at the current price. I'd be absolutely shocked to see any kind of price cut before the 1 year anniversary of the Japanese launch for a variety of reasons.

ToI performed a little better than expected considering the size of the userbase. AC did quite well and I'm sure From Soft will be pleased with those opening numbers. RE:R started out ok and it will be interesting to see if it has any legs.

Spiegel

RE5 isn't. It sold 650k (while MGS4 did 700k, on just one system).

Now RE5 + RE5G + RE5AE might be a million seller, but that's not quite the same thing.

Okay and the initial comparison is not perfect either. As a game, RE:R has much more in common with Peace Walker. Do you want to compare those two?

I think RE:R and PO can be compared for multiple reasons and if RE:R does similar LTD numbers (350-380k), Capcom will be happy.

RE:R isn't a small project released on a failed console.

duckroll

It could be the Vita's first million seller for all we know.

This is probably true. After all you can buy Vita games on PSN even without a Vita, so there's no reason why tons of people didn't accidentally buy it without realizing that it's a Vita game. In fact, because of their mistake, we might see the Vita hardware sales surge next week to 300k or more simply because people are picking it up to play the million selling Tales game they accidentally bought on PSN.

Makes perfect sense.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
001.gif

Just to not forget.
...Oh, there are two different PS3 in Japan? :O

This is probably true. After all you can buy Vita games on PSN even without a Vita, so there's no reason why tons of people didn't accidentally buy it without realizing that it's a Vita game. In fact, because of their mistake, we might see the Vita hardware sales surge next week to 300k or more simply because people are picking it up to play the million selling Tales game they accidentally bought on PSN.

Makes perfect sense.
Eh, I think you're selling the possibility a bit short, honestly. I would estimate at least 2 million in ToI sales by now. Most of those people probably bought it on purpose though, they're just waiting for a Vita price-drop.

Takao

Banned
Would you guys say Revelations is a bigger game for RE than PO is for MGS? PO came off of MGS3: Subsistence, and MGS4 was already announced. It was a game caught in the middle, and wasn't directed by Kojima. RE:R launched with breathing room between RE5 and RE6, and supposedly featured a good chunk of the normal RE team.

VerTiGo

Banned
Those Resident Evil numbers are quite impressive. I can't think of another Mature-rated handheld game on a Nintendo console that performed like that, especially early in the handheld's life.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What differences? Portable Ops came out on Dec 21 2006 according to wikipedia. PSP according to GAF's MC threads had sold 4,650,315 in Japan by the first week of January (ed: 2007). 3DS has sold 4.789.379 as of now. Or am I having a brain fart?

Kenka

Armored Core V is the real success story here. Really amazing launch by From Software. :eek:
Wholeheartedly agreed. I predicted it would make three times less based on past entries in the series. Monumental win.

Tales of did pretty well and lifted hardware up, so did RE:R. Everybody happy in these threads for the first time in God knows when.

stilgar

A year? Vita is dead as dogshit. Is it even doing 3DS launch numbers?

Looking forward to Armored Core V. Have to decide on PS3 vs. 360; probably go PS3 since it's been my official "FROM" box so far. Heh.

For all I remember it's doing slightly worse.

I'm usually a terrible prophet but I see it struggling at 20-25k for a long, long time, sustained by some good games but no system sellers. And then, maybe fall 2012, some kind of surge PSP/PS3 style. But again...

iceatcs

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20120201070/TN/001.gif[IMG]

Just to not forget.
...Oh, there are two different PS3 in Japan? :O[/QUOTE]

Pac-man on dying.
I'm wondering when we will going to heard "Ewewewewewe&#65279; woop woop" (>50%)

test_account

XP-39C²
Well presumably there is the chance of the majority of people buying AE already owning the original game, so it wouldn't count towards higher popularity of the franchise.
Yeah, there is some overlapping there for sure, but i dont think it is the majority.

EDIT: But if we just go by the first release, ~650k VS ~700k, i dont think that i would say that one serie is really bigger than the other. If you also count the re-releases of first time buyers, then the numbers might even be closer to eachother.

Top Bottom