• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2012 (Jan 23 - Jan 29)

test_account

XP-39C²
If we were comparing strictly RE5 to MGS4, I think you're right that it's not a significant difference. However, if we were comparing the overal series with each other, I think MGS would be more significantly above. Afterall, the RE franchise really took a hit with 2 exclusive GCN RE games and the timed exclusive RE4 for GCN. It suggests to me that at the very least MGS has a stronger fanbase.
Do you mean which franchise that has sold the most in total? I was only thinking about how popular the franchises are at this moment, just looking at how the latest entries sold in the franchises.

EDIT: Hehe, funnily, garaph.info has the MGS games listed at 5.17 million units, while the RE games are listed at 5.12 million units :) It doesnt include the PS1 titles though.

I think the main point of these things is to just get the base started as cheaply as possible for spin-offs later.

Right, but there, like, isn't really a base there. We've seen that there's a market for Tales games on the PS3, and we've seen (with ToGf) that they don't care if the game is just built with uprezzed PS2-level assets as long as the voice and shit are there. So if they want to do remakes to fill time between the new entries, they'd be much better off spending the exact same budget developing the exact same game but releasing it on PS3.

Durante

I know that it's one of the most popular memes in MC threads to make fun of the possibility of games selling on PSN at all, but the one time we got numbers (P3P) it did around 8% of its sales digitally. Wouldn't it make sense to assume that, with the internet-savvy (as evidenced by demo download numbers) and currently (close to launch) comparatively "hardcore" Vita customer base the fraction should be at least that large?

I kind of don't know why they would bother with either, honestly. If they can't push up towards the 300k range on their portable entries I'm not sure it's actually worth the effort.
Well, looking at the amount of "effort" that ToIR seemingly had put into it it should have broken even already with the first day sales...

RPGamer92

Banned
Wait why are people comparing RER's sales to PW's? PW was released after the PSP comeback, had Monster Hunter stuff in it, and was released to a system with a much bigger install base than what 3DS has now. Not a good comparison imo

Wait why are people comparing RER's sales to PW's? PW was released after the PSP comeback, had Monster Hunter stuff in it, and was released to a system with a much bigger install base than what 3DS has now. Not a good comparison imo
The comparison that's been discussed is between Portable Ops and RE:R, not Peace Walker and RE:R.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think the main difference is that when we're talking about Japan, RE used to be a multi-million selling franchise which eventually dwindled to the 600k+ franchise it is today. MGS on the other hand was always a 700-800k franchise in Japan, and remains as such to this day. So I would say that MGS has retained its popularity pretty well, while RE has not.

Famitsu numbers:

Metal Gear Solid - 705,736
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 798,185
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 819,807
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 706,461
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - 791,577

Resident Evil - 1,194,779
Resident Evil 2 - 2,154,975
Resident Evil 3 - 1,383,282
Resident Evil Code Veronica - 403,962 (DC) + 338,307 (PS2)
Resident Evil 4 - 220,799 (GC) + 454,979 (PS2)
Resident Evil 5 - 520,564 (PS3) + 123,817 (360)
Sure, i was only thinking about Japan. I just wrote in parentheses to say that i think it was other ways to obtain the extra AE material without having to buy the retail AE release. But i guess maybe most bought the retail copy instead (talking about Japan only). You're right that the RE games have fallen more in sales compared to MGS. But how the situation have been the last few years, it seems to me that RE and MGS franchises arent much apart in popularity. But both franchises are at least quite popular regardless of which that is biggest :)

AZ2002

Banned
It might be best to wait for consecutive up weeks before suggesting a trend like that. Right now the trend for Vita is basically flat between 15k and 18k.

maybe you are right but i think that this is the first week that the Vita outsold the PSP even though there are still great games (nearly million sellers) coming for it like God eater 2 and others.and what is amazing in my opinion is that the Vita software is really lacking the japanese oriented games and even games like ragnarok and others are just remastered port of the PSP but the hardware is showing good momentum.in my opinion from a business point of view the Vita project is one of the best Sony projects in the recent memory.

maybe you are right but i think that this is the first week that the Vita outsold the PSP even though there are still great games (nearly million sellers) coming for it like God eater 2 and others.and what is amazing in my opinion is that the Vita software is really lacking the japanese oriented games and even games like ragnarok and others are just remastered port of the PSP but the hardware is showing good momentum.in my opinion from a business point of view the Vita project is one of the best Sony projects in the recent memory.

Your way of putting a spin on everything continues to amaze me. :p

duckroll

But how the situation have been the last few years, it seems to me that RE and MGS franchises arent much apart in popularity. But both franchises are at least quite popular regardless of which that is biggest :)

I agree that they're pretty close in popularity. I also think that RE5 grew compared to RE4, so RE6 will be a good indicator for us to see whether the series can continue growing in Japan. But I think that right now, MGS is still a bigger deal in terms of major launches in Japan, compared to RE. RE6 could prove that the RE franchise has grown to equal or surpass MGS's popularity again though, time will tell.

AZ2002

Banned
Those are considered good results? Seriously?

yes good not great like the single 3DS number.if you think about it even now the PSP is still more expensive than the 3DS.but again people think that its about the hardware sales its not in the slightest.the main revenue for gaming companies is the software and the playstation family is making a killing in that front.

extralite

I was answering the question more in terms of which game will leave a bigger impact on its respective series from the perspective of someone who is a fan of both of them. Perhaps that wasn't the best way to answer the question since we're in a sales thread though.

Still, I'm not sure why RE: R would have to sell millions of copies to be more significant for RE than PO was for MGS. Care to elaborate?

I was mainly replying to your use of "return to form" (maybe I should have bolded that part). Which it according to you lost with 4 or 5. So returning to form would be to repeat the success of 3 I thought.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
By what metric?

Well, PS3 is selling software. Many medium tier games have had great if not the best debuts of their respective series ( Armored Core V is just the last case )... but seeing how it's putting it, and how he's optimist... no, just no.

I was mainly replying to your use of "return to form" (maybe I should have bolded that part). Which it according to you lost with 4 or 5. So returning to form would be to repeat the success of 3 I thought.
Ah, I see. Again though, I wasn't speaking purely in terms of sales but more in terms of the general view of the series from its fans. Personally I loved RE4 and thought RE5 was decent enough but it seems like RE:R is generally being seen as more appealing to most of the old-school RE fans.

AZ2002

Banned
Well, PS3 is selling software. Many medium tier games have had great if not the best debuts of their respective series ( Armored Core V is just the last case )... but seeing how it's putting it, and how he's optimist... no, just no.

thats what i mean thanx Mpl90 ;). its great to have a great first party franchises that can help your system but you run the danger of cannibalizing 3rd parties shares and they will just wont release on your system anymore like the Nintendo situation and i dont seriously know how can they get their way out of it they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

the only option they can do is moneyhatting but thats not practical and costly.the only company that will support them i think is Capcom as they seem to have a good relationship with them moneyhatting or not.check the list above 8 titles of them are published by Ninty thats both great and bad in the same time.

Forever

Banned
like the Nintendo situation and i dont seriously know how can they get their way out of it they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

the only option they can do is moneyhatting but thats not practical and costly.the only company that will support them i think is Capcom as they seem to have a good relationship with them moneyhatting or not.
Wait, are you proposing that Nintendo's third party situation with the 3DS is worse than Sony's with the Vita?

TheNatural

My Member!
Vita bombing I thought would lead to a lot more funny reactions. Maybe that will just come with the NPD in a few months.

gconsole

Sure, i was only thinking about Japan. I just wrote in parentheses to say that i think it was other ways to obtain the extra AE material without having to buy the retail AE release. But i guess maybe most bought the retail copy instead (talking about Japan only). You're right that the RE games have fallen more in sales compared to MGS. But how the situation have been the last few years, it seems to me that RE and MGS franchises arent much apart in popularity. But both franchises are at least quite popular regardless of which that is biggest :)

Right. Having 100k different in current sale doesn't mean much. And RE was once a lot more popular than MGS in japan (compare that 2 million to 700k). So overall both series are roughly the same. Prop to MGS for maintaining its fanbase and popularity through 3 generations though.

Don't know why I have a feeling that Revelations would sale a lot more on PSP (maybe comparable to PO number). Even if I just bought 3DS for this game, but since I'm the hardcore RE fan so that's not much of the case.

AZ2002

Banned
Wait, are you proposing that Nintendo's third party situation with the 3DS is worse than Sony's with the Vita?

in the long term i think it will be yes.when the developers start to take advantage of the vita specs can they port their games to the 3DS i am not sure what will happen but i dont think so (can some of the guys here with a gaming programming background tell us if that can be done and if its costly or not?).the same happened with the Wii.i hope Nintendo change this with the Wii U but i am not sure.

in the long term i think it will be yes.when the developers start to take advantage of the vita specs can they port their games to the 3DS i am not sure what will happen but i dont think so (can some of the guys here with a gaming programming background tell us if that can be done and if its costly or not?).the same happened with the Wii.i hope Nintendo change this with the Wii U but i am not sure.
That's highly unlikely. If a title is planned as a multiplatform from the start, we'd be more likely to see an up-port to the Vita. Not the other way.

Forever

Banned

This reads like fan fiction.

Being generous, Vita gaining 3K alongside a Tales release might qualify as Joementum.

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree that they're pretty close in popularity. I also think that RE5 grew compared to RE4, so RE6 will be a good indicator for us to see whether the series can continue growing in Japan. But I think that right now, MGS is still a bigger deal in terms of major launches in Japan, compared to RE. RE6 could prove that the RE franchise has grown to equal or surpass MGS's popularity again though, time will tell.
Yeah, i shall be interesting to see how RE6 sells indeed. And then there is Operation Raccoon City as well, but i dont think this game will sell that much.

Vita bombing I thought would lead to a lot more funny reactions. Maybe that will just come with the NPD in a few months.
I dont think you will see many comments for this because people have learned from PS3 and 3DS that it is too early to say much about the long term success.

Right. Having 100k different in current sale doesn't mean much. And RE was once a lot more popular than MGS in japan (compare that 2 million to 700k). So overall both series are roughly the same. Prop to MGS for maintaining its fanbase and popularity through 3 generations though.

Don't know why I have a feeling that Revelations would sale a lot more on PSP (maybe comparable to PO number). Even if I just bought 3DS for this game, but since I'm the hardcore RE fan so that's not much of the case.
Yeah, i find it a bit fascinating to see that almost all main MGS games have sold relatively the same through the last ~15 years. I wonder why Resident Evil have fallen some in sales from the PS1 days.

Sadist

You do realize that Time Travelers and Good People Die are ports of 3DS games right?

AZ2002

Banned
That's highly unlikely. If a title is planned as a multiplatform from the start, we'd be more likely to see an up-port to the Vita. Not the other way.

well if a developer get more sales from the other platform do you think they wont make that platform the lead when they release new games.it would be great for the 3DS if it can get ports nontheless.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yeah, i shall be interesting to see how RE6 sells indeed. And then there is Operation Raccoon City as well, but i dont think this game will sell that much.

I dont think you will see many comments for this because people have learned from PS3 and 3DS that it is too early to say much about the long term success.

Yeah, i find it a bit fascinating to see that almost all main MGS games have sold relatively the same through the last ~15 years. I wonder why Resident Evil have fallen some in sales from the PS1 days.

From PS3?

Anyway, I just meant the people who were saying 3DS was done and Vita was going to destroy it upon launch. They don't seem to be around any more.

AZ2002

Banned
You do realize that Time Travelers and Good People Die are ports of 3DS games right?

yeah i know but i am talking long term after 1-2 years.even the PSV games right now are PSP quality graphics with the exception of some who are mainly westren developer or Sony's 1st party.this happens with every console release like PS360 for example first gen title are always sub-bar graphics wise.

Forever

Banned
well if a developer get more sales from the other platform do you think they wont make that platform the lead when they release new games.it would be great for the 3DS if it can get ports nontheless.

I am no longer sure that I can parse your argument.

Are you saying that the Vita will somehow yield more sales for third party titles than 3DS, and will therefore go on to become the lead platform for all handheld games, and the 3DS will be lucky to be left with ports? Is this what you're saying?

If so then for starters I'd like to see you justify that first premise with something more than wishful thinking.

Takao

Banned

MGS was never milked as hard as RE was, nor was Konami stupid in platform choices. Capcom and Resident Evil on the other hand...

From PS3?

Anyway, I just meant the people who were saying 3DS was done and Vita was going to destroy it upon launch. They don't seem to be around any more.

Back in June I said I expected Vita to outsell 3DS in Japan. This was before the price collapse, and Monster Hunter gate. My opinion has obviously changed. I don't think any sane person would believe Vita would outsell 3DS in current day conditions.

miksar

yes good not great like the single 3DS number.if you think about it even now the PSP is still more expensive than the 3DS.but again people think that its about the hardware sales its not in the slightest.the main revenue for gaming companies is the software and the playstation family is making a killing in that front.
Are you from Sony PR department?

AZ2002

Banned
Being generous, Vita gaining 3K alongside a Tales release might qualify as Joementum.

nice avatar :p. well yes for me if the Vita right now goes above 40-50k a week it will be unnatural because the conditions are not there.there arent games at the moment for the japanese public that distinguish the Vita from the 3DS and the PSP graphical wise or a revloutionary gameplay.it will take 1-2 year maximum.but if the MonHun game for Vita take full advantage of the software it will be a different scenario.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
nice avatar :p. well yes for me if the Vita right now goes above 40-50k a week it will be unnatural because the conditions are not there.there arent games at the moment for the japanese public that distinguish the Vita from the 3DS and the PSP graphical wise or a revloutionary gameplay.it will take 1-2 year maximum.but if the MonHun game for Vita take full advantage of the software it will be a different scenario.
What Monster Hunter Vita game?

test_account

XP-39C²
From PS3?
Yeah, going from sub 10k to being the current market leader in home consoles. Not that the PS3 sales are exactly huge like the PS2, but i dont think anyone predicted back in 2007-2008 that the PS3 would gain much popularity as it did. The PSP is also another example, going from selling ok-ish to ending up close to how much the PS2 sold.

There is nothing wrong to predict early in the lifecycle of course, but as we have seen with different systems, unknown things can happen that makes the system more popular.

True, but that was when both were priced at 25,000 Yen and before many 3rd party games had been announced for the 3DS (MH3G being the biggest). After the 3DS pricedrop and game announcement, many changed their mind about 3DS VS Vita :)

MGS was never milked as hard as RE was, nor was Konami stupid in platform choices. Capcom and Resident Evil on the other hand...
Good point, i forgot about all the different RE spinoffs and remakes. That might have something to do with it indeed.

Takao

Banned
I don't think it's really fair to dig up posts from June to prove your point in regards to sales in Japan. At E3 both the 3DS, and Vita were dead even at price, and we didn't know of the Capcom whoring that was about to take place on every platform but Vita. Maybe a bit misguided on my part, but I expected a contraction in the popularity of Mario and Pokemon games this generation as Nintendo would feel the smart phone burn larger than Sony would. I expected good will from PSP, a (then competitive) price, and Monster Hunter to lead the charge.

Shit happens.

Edit: You guys are a bit vague on your "look at these fools" posts. If you mean in regards to worldwide sales, then yeah, I can see thinking Vita would outsell 3DS to be very misguided. You can probably dig up a post from me where I said that in the past. But as this is a Media Create thread, which discusses Japanese sales...

Forever

Banned
Edit: You guys are a bit vague on your "look at these fools" posts. If you mean in regards to worldwide sales, then yeah, I can see thinking Vita would outsell 3DS to be very misguided. You can probably dig up a post from me where I said that in the past. But as this is a Media Create thread, which discusses Japanese sales...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Europe traditionally Sonyland? In fact, has Japan been the Sony bastion for any platform except PSP, a phenomenon entirely attributable to Monster Hunter? Sony's first party games certainly seem more oriented towards the west.

If the Vita weren't launching in February of all months, I would even suggest that the NA launch should be more promising than the Japanese one.

I don't think it's really fair to dig up posts from June to prove your point in regards to sales in Japan. At E3 both the 3DS, and Vita were dead even at price, and we didn't know of the Capcom whoring that was about to take place on every platform but Vita. Maybe a bit misguided on my part, but I expected a contraction in the popularity of Mario and Pokemon games this generation as Nintendo would feel the smart phone burn larger than Sony would. I expected good will from PSP, a (then competitive) price, and Monster Hunter to lead the charge.

Shit happens.

I mostly agree with that, but a lot of people exaggerate to no end, and even after the price drop some insistent that was an admission of defeat and essentially another Gamecube in the making.

gconsole

I wonder why Resident Evil have fallen some in sales from the PS1 days.

Can't deny that RE type of game age faster than MGS. Seeing other survival horror series (or in general Action Adventure) sale a lot less shows that there is not as big audience on this gen as PS day. Not to mention how RE series jump around from time to time. We had (time) exclusive DC game then GC while the main console for the series like PS2 only got the lazy port later. That really affect the series userbase.

RE4 help the series back to its knee since sharp decline after RE3 (as we can see the result from RE5). But again, it split the audience into several groups. And I see how it's struggling try to maintain the fans. I mean, this is the only game that has the problem just for applying walk'n shoot control scheme ...

Top Bottom