• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2012 (Jan 23 - Jan 29)

Would you guys say Revelations is a bigger game for RE than PO is for MGS? PO came off of MGS3: Subsistence, and MGS4 was already announced. It was a game caught in the middle, and wasn't directed by Kojima. RE:R launched with breathing room between RE5 and RE6, and supposedly featured a good chunk of the normal RE team.
I would say so. RE is also a series that has become somewhat divisive among fans since RE5 (and even somewhat since RE4) so it probably needed a "return to form" type game more than the MGS franchise. PO was always kind of a weird spin off to me (and I bought it and finished it at launch), while RE: R seems to be much more of a full-fledged entry to the series.

Boogdud

Goes to show how starved this generation is for a good mech game.

Seriously Capcom, do another print of Chromehounds and turn the servers back on already. It was ahead of it's time.

Those Resident Evil numbers are quite impressive. I can't think of another Mature-rated handheld game on a Nintendo console that performed like that, especially early in the handheld's life.

Compared to the bomb of Chinatown Wars on the DS, Resi seems to show that the new 3DS has revitalised part of Nintnedos userbase, that and its taking the place PSP has had for the last few years.
I also suspect Revelations to have some nice legs on it - should be interesting to watch - am certainly hoping for another Resident Evil game on the 3DS, and wouldn't say no to a Resi 6 tie-in. Certainly a revelations sequel would need, you guessed it - Zombies :D

Have to say the most surprising sales are for the Vita, good result to get into the top charts. Least proof that software will sell on it.

Would you guys say Revelations is a bigger game for RE than PO is for MGS? PO came off of MGS3: Subsistence, and MGS4 was already announced. It was a game caught in the middle, and wasn't directed by Kojima. RE:R launched with breathing room between RE5 and RE6, and supposedly featured a good chunk of the normal RE team.
RE6 was announced a week before Revelations and it's releasing the same year... that's "breathing room"?

I would say in terms of the games themselves, RER and MGSPW are pretty similar in context to the larger franchise. I'd also say the PSP Metal Gears seemed to be pushed/promoted a lot harder than Revelations has though, even POps had more fanfare it seemed like.

From Software has been knocking it out of the park this past year!! Very good sales.
The holiday season doesn't magically bump games to do high numbers just because. And PO had some nice legs (~360k LTD iirc) on a lower userbase.
The holiday season does increase first week sales. You've been in sales-age long enough, I don't get how you could make such a ridiculous arguement. Why else do most publishers schedule a big game in the holiday season and hardware sales spike dramatically?

I personally think franchise popularity and holiday season takes into account a 30k difference.

I think Revelations is borderline and we'll have to wait a few weeks. The sales aren't bad enough to be called underperforming or bomba but they're not good enough to be called a success or okay.

Why not? It is the same game and franchise.
I think it speaks more volume that Metal Gear Solid has on average been able to achieve high sales off of one release and one platform than the Resident Evil franchise that typically relies on multiplatform releases, ports, budget reprints, and/or special editions with bonus content.

duckroll

You comparison seems very flawed and deliberately deceptive.

"PO came off of MGS3: Subsistence, and MGS4 was already announced."

MPO was announced in May 2006 and released in Dec 2006. 2 years after MGS3 was released. MGS4 wasn't out until June 2008, 2 years after that.

"It was a game caught in the middle, and wasn't directed by Kojima."

Caught in the middle of what exactly? And yes, it wasn't directed by Kojima. It was developed by people who had worked on previous MGS games, and entirely an internal Kojima Productions title, made by the same guys who have worked on MGS games with Kojima.

"RE:R launched with breathing room between RE5 and RE6"

RE:R was announced in June 2010 and released in Jan 2012. Just under 3 years after RE5. RE6 is out in Nov 2012, that's in 10 months.

"and supposedly featured a good chunk of the normal RE team."

RE:R isn't directed by any previous RE director. Butt it is developed by people who had worked on previous RE games, and is mostly an internal Capcom game, made by guys who have worked on previous RE games.

Kenka

tbh though, I would have expected Revelaitons to sell more. It's a full-fledged game dammit.
Leg your way to RE 0 numbers you asshole. It's an order.

Rpgmonkey

Armored Core V numbers are somewhat surprising, I guess Resident Evil did decently?

Tales numbers seem really typical to me. Seems to be in the "hardly anybody really wants this" category of Tales games that usually still get past 100K.

extralite

I would say so. RE is also a series that has become somewhat divisive among fans since RE5 (and even somewhat since RE4) so it probably needed a "return to form" type game more than the MGS franchise.

You're expecting RE:R to do multimillion in Japan like the latter PS1 installments?

Takao

Banned
You comparison seems very flawed and deliberately deceptive.

"PO came off of MGS3: Subsistence, and MGS4 was already announced."

MPO was announced in May 2006 and released in Dec 2006. 2 years after MGS3 was released. MGS4 wasn't out until June 2008, 2 years after that.

"It was a game caught in the middle, and wasn't directed by Kojima."

Caught in the middle of what exactly? And yes, it wasn't directed by Kojima. It was developed by people who had worked on previous MGS games, and entirely an internal Kojima Productions title, made by the same guys who have worked on MGS games with Kojima.

"RE:R launched with breathing room between RE5 and RE6"

RE:R was announced in June 2010 and released in Jan 2012. Just under 3 years after RE5. RE6 is out in Nov 2012, that's in 10 months.

"and supposedly featured a good chunk of the normal RE team."

RE:R isn't directed by any previous RE director. Butt it is developed by people who had worked on previous RE games, and is mostly an internal Capcom game, made by guys who have worked on previous RE games.

Yeah, I derped on the MGS3: S release. For some reason I felt PO and S were released the same year. But the fact of the matter is that PO was never billed as the "next MGS" game, because we already knew about MGS4. Until Capcom stepped on some toes last week, it really did seem like Revelations was the "next RE" because of the gap from RE5. That's where the breathing room comment came from.

You're expecting RE:R to do multimillion in Japan like the latter PS1 installments?
I was answering the question more in terms of which game will leave a bigger impact on its respective series from the perspective of someone who is a fan of both of them. Perhaps that wasn't the best way to answer the question since we're in a sales thread though.

Still, I'm not sure why RE: R would have to sell millions of copies to be more significant for RE than PO was for MGS. Care to elaborate?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
RO has a good shot at breaking 100k. Multiplayer hunting/grinding is what handheld gamers are looking for.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to next week charts, hope RO does well.
And two weeks from now we'll see if Gravity Daze is a commercial success.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think it speaks more volume that Metal Gear Solid has on average been able to achieve high sales off of one release and one platform than the Resident Evil franchise that typically relies on multiplatform releases, ports, budget reprints, and/or special editions with bonus content.
RE5 and MGS4 have done almost the same numbers. I mean, the difference isnt that huge that i would really concider one franchise more popular than the other (based on those sales numbers for those two games). Surely there are some overlapping due to more than one release, but i dont think that the majority of people buy the same game twice.

I also dont think that single platform VS multi platform matters when we only talk about how popular a franchise is. Then i only look at the total sales, and see how many that bought the game(s). But to messure exactly which franchise that is most popular can be difficult though, especially when the sales numbers are in the same ballpark.

duckroll

RE5 and MGS4 have done almost the same numbers. I mean, the difference isnt that huge that i would really concider one franchise more popular than the other (based on those sales numbers for those two games). Surely there are some overlapping due to more than one release, but i dont think that the majority of people buy the same game twice.

Ah but this isn't really true. If we are merely talking about re-releases, I would say sure, count everything in. The odds of someone who owns a game buying the exact same game again at a budget price is really low. But when we introduce the idea of additional expansion content or updated features being sold along with the re-release, then that really mixes things up. You can no longer say that it is unlikely that people will buy the same game again when there is actually a compelling reason for core fans to buy the "same game" again if you factor in the additional features.

Comparing BH5+BH5AE with MGS4+MGS4(TheBest) is not a fair direct comparison. Comparing BH5+BH5AE+BH5AE(TheBest) with MGS3+MGS3S+VariousMGS3(TheBest) is a fair direct comparison.
Comparing BH5 with MGS4 without any re-releases is also a fair direct comparison.
Comparing RE:R with MGS:pW without any re-releases is also a fair direct comparison.

So do you think PO was more important to MGS than RE: R is/will be for RE?

Yes, absolutely. Without MPO there would be no MGS:pW. Kojima might have directed PW himself and so that's the far superior game, but a huge majority of what PW is came directly from being a successor to MPO. Same ideas, same platform, only better.

That is not the question. Duckie mentioned that Portable Ops was presented at its unveiling like a main series entry. Takao brought a comparision with Revelaitons for whatever reason he had and Duckie was just brushing his/her argument aside with this trailer.
Takao said:
Would you guys say Revelations is a bigger game for RE than PO is for MGS?
I was wondering what duckroll's opinion was on this, the original question, without any of the additional stuff that he disagrees with.

duckroll said:
Yes, absolutely. Without MPO there would be no MGS:pW. Kojima might have directed PW himself and so that's the far superior game, but a huge majority of what PW is came directly from being a successor to MPO. Same ideas, same platform, only better.
That's a good point, I hadn't thought about how PW tied into things. That said, what if RE: R's success ended up influencing design decisions in RE 6 (not likely given the reveal trailer I suppose) or leading to a direct sequel on 3DS/Vita?

duckroll

I was wondering what duckroll's opinion was on this, the original question, without any of the additional stuff that he disagrees with.

I think that RE:R is a better deal for fans of the franchise, but I don't think that it is a bigger deal for the franchise in general especially from a business and commercial aspect.

Santiako

How much did Mercenaries 3D and RE:DS do?

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about how PW tied into things. That said, what if RE: R's success ended up influencing design decisions in RE 6 (not likely given the reveal trailer I suppose) or leading to a direct sequel on 3DS/Vita?

I just hope they add Raid Mode to RE6, it's amazing.

AZ2002

Banned
| PS3 | 22.924 | 21.155 | 25.149 | 148.870 | 141.743 | 7.785.255 |
| PSV | 18.942 | 15.219 | | 95.437 | | 535.423 |
| PSP # | 16.008 | 17.181 | 34.928 | 126.760 | 134.617 | 18.856.144 |
| PS2 | 713 | 903 | 1.938 | 3.705 | 7.950 | 21.777.812 |

good results for the playstation family.it seems like the vita is starting to rise slowely even without great games.i cant imagine how it is gonna do when the big hitters released on it. i cant wait for the rest of the world launch.i am sure it will sell great in europe ;) .

PS2 (bow to the king).jpg

good results for the playstation family.it seems like the vita is starting to rise slowely even without great games.i cant imagine how it is gonna do when the big hitters released on it. i cant wait for the rest of the world launch.i am sure it will sell great in europe ;) .

What big hitters?

Takao

Banned
I think that RE:R is a better deal for fans of the franchise, but I don't think that it is a bigger deal for the franchise in general especially from a business and commercial aspect.

Would you still feel the same if RE6 wasn't announced yet?

Gaborn

It might be best to wait for consecutive up weeks before suggesting a trend like that. Right now the trend for Vita is basically flat between 15k and 18k.

duckroll

The reason why I don't see it being a bigger deal is that Capcom's handling of RE is such that they can easily accommodate multiple teams and different leads making games on different platforms. I don't see how it's a particularly big deal for the franchise or for Capcom if RE:R leads to another 3DS game in the future.

For Metal Gear Solid on the other hand, the franchise is pretty small. There are quite a few Metal Gear spinoffs, but they're not Metal Gear Solid spinoffs. And Kojima is such a huge factor in the series that MPO is the only MGS game not directed by him. So he rectified that with Peace Walker.

I don't see that happening with RE because it's a different sort of franchise.

Would you still feel the same if RE6 wasn't announced yet?

Yes, absolutely. Let's put it this way. Capcom has expectations for RE:ORC on their financials. They have none listed for RE:R. This should tell you how "important" they perceive the game to be for the franchise at large.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
@Santiako:

[3DS] Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom) - 61.306 / 118.117 / 51,90% 02/06/11
[NDS] Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (Capcom) - 17.943 / 46.280 / 38,77% 19/01/06

One thing

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201202/02009278.html

Rayman Origins for all three... at just 2500 Yen?
Am I reading this right? O_O

saichi

For all I remember it's doing slightly worse.

I'm usually a terrible prophet but I see it struggling at 20-25k for a long, long time, sustained by some good games but no system sellers. And then, maybe fall 2012, some kind of surge PSP/PS3 style. But again...

It's doing a lot worse.

And if it's already at under 20K now, I'm not sure how it would be struggling at 20K-25K for a long time. It is only gonna get worse from now on minus occasionally spike when there is a big game (50K+) release.

RE:R sales are pretty meh, coulda been better, coulda been shittier. I think this is about as good as Capcom should expect for a debut, we'll see how the legs go.

Tiktaalik

AC 5 at the top of the list is surprising. Why happened that made this title debut so strongly over previous versions? Better marketing? Great reviews? Unique gameplay features over 4?

duckroll

AC 5 at the top of the list is surprising. Why happened that made this title debut so strongly over previous versions? Better marketing? Great reviews? Unique gameplay features over 4?

The power of From Software's brand + growing interest in Japan on the HD systems for multiplayer action games.

Takao

Banned
@Santiako:

[3DS] Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom) - 61.306 / 118.117 / 51,90% 02/06/11
[NDS] Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (Capcom) - 17.943 / 46.280 / 38,77% 19/01/06

One thing

JapanGAF is going to love that. Ubisoft seems pretty decent with their Vita game prices compared to their western prices.

I dunno about that. ToA on 3DS managed, what, roughly 80K at this point? I'm sure Namco will continue to release remakes on both portables as long as they can keep costs low.

I kind of don't know why they would bother with either, honestly. If they can't push up towards the 300k range on their portable entries I'm not sure it's actually worth the effort.

Jackano

RE:R sales are pretty meh, coulda been better, coulda been shittier. I think this is about as good as Capcom should expect for a debut, we'll see how the legs go.

Well I don't see it having many legs, it's not like a Nintendo game. It will have a budget version one day probably. Until then, let's hope RER do a little better worlwide.

Spiegel

I kind of don't know why they would bother with either, honestly. If they can't push up towards the 300k range on their portable entries I'm not sure it's actually worth the effort.

Agreed.

They should make the Tales of the fanservice series for both Vita and 3DS and keep the big games on PS3/next Sony console. These remakes and ports never made any sense

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I think the main point of these things is to just get the base started as cheaply as possible for spin-offs later.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
One thing

Rayman Origins Wii/PS3/360 was also released here in Brazil for like half the usal MSRP. That, and the DRM-free PC version... It's almost like it's a completely different company that's also named Ubisoft handling it.

Agreed.

They should make the Tales of the fanservice series for both Vita and 3DS and keep the big games on PS3/next Sony console. These remakes and ports never made any sense

Well, if they mean previous Tales games actually getting to Europe for the first time, for example, they make at least some sense.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ah but this isn't really true. If we are merely talking about re-releases, I would say sure, count everything in. The odds of someone who owns a game buying the exact same game again at a budget price is really low. But when we introduce the idea of additional expansion content or updated features being sold along with the re-release, then that really mixes things up. You can no longer say that it is unlikely that people will buy the same game again when there is actually a compelling reason for core fans to buy the "same game" again if you factor in the additional features.

Comparing BH5+BH5AE with MGS4+MGS4(TheBest) is not a fair direct comparison. Comparing BH5+BH5AE+BH5AE(TheBest) with MGS3+MGS3S+VariousMGS3(TheBest) is a fair direct comparison.
Comparing BH5 with MGS4 without any re-releases is also a fair direct comparison.
Comparing RE:R with MGS:pW without any re-releases is also a fair direct comparison.
That is a fair point, about the extra content (although it did excist as DLC as well if i'm not mistaken). The reprint of AE did nearly 110k, which is pretty good as well.

Maybe MGS has a small edge, but from the sales data i've seen, i dont think that i would concider MGS or RE as being a noticeably bigger franchise than the other.

That is a fair point, about the extra content (although it did excist as DLC as well if i'm not mistaken). The reprint of AE did nearly 110k, which is pretty good as well.

Maybe MGS has a small edge, but from the sales data i've seen, i dont think that i would concider MGS or RE as being a noticeably bigger franchise than the other.

If we were comparing strictly RE5 to MGS4, I think you're right that it's not a significant difference. However, if we were comparing the overal series with each other, I think MGS would be more significantly above. Afterall, the RE franchise really took a hit with 2 exclusive GCN RE games and the timed exclusive RE4 for GCN. It suggests to me that at the very least MGS has a stronger fanbase.

Taurus

Those are considered good results? Seriously?

Kazerei

Banned
Great numbers for Armored Core V, Resident Evil Revelaitons and Tales of Innocence R. And Mario Kart Wii is still hanging in the top 20 heh.

duckroll

I think the main difference is that when we're talking about Japan, RE used to be a multi-million selling franchise which eventually dwindled to the 600k+ franchise it is today. MGS on the other hand was always a 700-800k franchise in Japan, and remains as such to this day. So I would say that MGS has retained its popularity pretty well, while RE has not.

Famitsu numbers:

Metal Gear Solid - 705,736
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 798,185
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 819,807
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 706,461
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - 791,577

Resident Evil - 1,194,779
Resident Evil 2 - 2,154,975
Resident Evil 3 - 1,383,282
Resident Evil Code Veronica - 403,962 (DC) + 338,307 (PS2)
Resident Evil 4 - 220,799 (GC) + 454,979 (PS2)
Resident Evil 5 - 520,564 (PS3) + 123,817 (360)

Top Bottom