• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2017 (Oct 09 - Oct 15)

jonno394

I think Switch will never have "big" third party exclusives. As mobile is the big thing in Japan, devs making console games will look for western sales. So it'll always be PS4/Switch or only PS4.

In the last pages we can see how Takaki doesn't still believe in the Switch, so that's why it won't get real Senran Kagura games (but he wants to release it on Xbox lol). That must be on many developer's minds.

Level 5 releasing multiplat with the PS4 and possibly SMT HD being both PS4/Switch are big reasons to believe in this.

Hopefully Nintendo can schedule their IPs well to always have something to sell the system.

wait, what have I missed?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Pretty much.

Level 5 is actually at worse position than Capcom right now, the time they would run out of big games would eventually come and that time is now. Trying to revive old IPs because new haven't found an audience are desperate moves.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly were I Level-5 I’d be working on selling out to another company while I could still get a reasonable price, but I realize this is Japan and that is unlikely.

Sandfox

Level 5 is actually at worse position than Capcom right now, the time they would run out of big games would eventually come and that time is now. Trying to revive old IPs because new haven't found an audience are desperate moves.
2017 was supposed to be the year Level 5 grew outside of YW, but they bungled it.

wait, what have I missed?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=252677811&postcount=583

Takaki-san would like to develop a dodgeball game next. Another genre he would love to work on is 2D fighting games. Again, we asked him if he’d like to collaborate with Arc System Works as an example, and he seemed quite appreciative of the idea. For that kind of game, he sees PC and PS4 as ideal platforms, and he’d also like to work on Xbox One.

While 7even is going to be released for PS4 at first, Takaki-san would like to launch it on PC as well. This is something he would love to do for more titles from now on, including Peach Beach Splash itself. He would like to do release PBS on Xbox One as well

Speaking of platforms, we asked Takaki-san about his personal preference between PS4 and Switch, and he threw us a curve ball bringing up the PS Vita, as it’s portable, with good specs and connectivity. When we mentioned that the Switch could fit those parameters as well, he explained that it’s slightly too big for his taste in terms of being a handheld platform. Funnily, he often tells Sony that he would like a successor to the PS Vita.

It really seems he isn't that interested on Switch and is only making two "cheap" spin-offs because Nintendo asked him.

Fiendcode

I don't think there's been any indication that he's getting involved in Switch games though. His team announced several games not too long ago and none of them are for Switch. It would be a very long ways off if he was planning on making a Switch game.
The indication was sort of him getting on stage and saying he planned to make games for it. That doesn’t mean Yakuza, it could really be anything (like a new Monkey Ball), but it does sort of imply something from CS1. Has Nagoshi ever done something similar where he presented for something that wasn’t CS1?

It’s something I was kind of expecting. Switch getting overall more games than previous Nintendo systems, but fewer 3rd party exclusives due to being closer spec wise.

I can see SMT HD being on PS4 based on how it was named (they specifically said SMT 3DS project in the same instance).
Wouldn’t mind that too much if Switch wasn’t also missing out on a bunch of titles. Guess we’ll see how that goes

The indication was sort of him getting on stage and saying he planned to make games for it. That doesn’t mean Yakuza, it could really be anything (like a new Monkey Ball), but it does sort of imply something from CS1. Has Nagoshi ever done something similar where he presented for something that wasn’t CS1?

I believe he is in charge of Atlus. Isn't he? I don't think his presence implies in support from CS1.

Aters

Honestly were I Level-5 I’d be working on selling out to another company while I could still get a reasonable price, but I realize this is Japan and that is unlikely.

I want to know who is rich enough and is willing to buy Level 5. Sega? They always seems to want to expend their videogame business. Other then Sega I can't think of any.

Oregano

Seiken Densetsu 1 is still a Final Fantasy spinoff.

Huh, I guess you're right.

I mean they’re shifting resources because they want to position against growth markets even if it hurts them short term.

Like we can look at Level-5 and mobile for an example of that. They could have put all their mobile staff on another 3DS title or two and made more money, but they didn’t because they feel mobile is the future.

To see two companies further along that path, both Namco and Square Enix are into their handheld output quite a lot to put out mobile games, but now they’re both make $800 million to $1+ billion a year in mobile, even if they lost out on $200-$300 million of cumulative handheld revenue along the way.

Mind, Level-5 isn’t guaranteed success, but you can see why they might want to try anyway.

The Western shifts are similar. Dragon Ball XenoVerse did 3.5 million copies in the West even if it only sold like 100-200K domestically. Investing in more 3DS games might have been smarter for the local market to get 300K sales there instead, but a way worse idea overall.

I think the problem is more that it's treated as a zero sum game, especially in light of what the Switch actually is and what a lot of those products look like.

Recent mobile success has been fueled by designing games to the strength of what mobile devices are, how they are used and how that's different from dedicated devices. In contrast the main thing that separates PS4 and Switch right now is technical specs(and online to a lesser extent).

FFXV would be a good example of a Japanese game that looks like it would be hard to make work on the Switch(but to his credit Tabata actually wants to try). It's also a game that is selling on the aspects that would make it a bad idea to change that.

From the little we've seen of God Eater 3(amongst other games) I'm not sure it's really doing enough to justify that same approach, both from a "This wouldn't ever run on Switch" or "This will sell enough to make the Japanese sales irrelevant".

To use a comparison to mobile it's the difference between Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes. Both are designed exclusively for mobile but Fire Emblem Heroes is clearly a lot better at meeting the expectations of players on that platform. Despite Nintendo wanting SMR to be a massive mobile phenomenon they didn't have the right approach.

On a related note that's also why Level 5's mobile strategy is crap.

I honestly don't like this idea that Switch can't get big exclusives because reasons. Why is only PS4 allowed to get big exclusives? The Switch is a huge hit worldwide and game all around the world are blowing people away at how successful they are. So even this "PS4 for the western market" is silly IMO.

The world isn't going to end if Switch gets an exclusive big JRPG for example.

Oregano

I honestly don't like this idea that Switch can't get big exclusives because reasons. Why is only PS4 allowed to get big exclusives? The Switch is a huge hit worldwide and game all around the world are blowing people away at how successful they are. So even this "PS4 for the western market" is silly IMO.

Square Enix agrees(and seems to be the only publisher who does at the moment).

I believe he is in charge of Atlus. Isn't he? I don't think his presence implies in support from CS1.

He's on the board of directors.

PS4 rarely gets big exclusives outside of likely paid for games like persona and Nioh. Many are on PC at the very least, a lot were on Vita while it lasted.

I'm not saying Switch doesn't deserve exclusives more than the PS4. I'm saying I don't think third parties will believe it's worth making exclusives for a growing platform with the PS4 being so huge worldwide and mobile dominating Japan. Yes, Switch will probably outsell the PS4 in their country, but will they think that's enough?

Delio

I'm not saying Switch doesn't deserve exclusives more than the PS4. I'm saying I don't think third parties will believe it's worth making exclusives for a growing platform with the PS4 being so huge worldwide and mobile dominating Japan. Yes, Switch will probably outsell the PS4 in their country, but will they think that's enough?

So they should ignore the new platform with explosive growth just cause it's not at where the PS4 is? Wouldn't it be smart to jump on early and build up a base there?

MoonFrog

I do feel Nintendo has approached Switch software in an intelligent and also "all-in" manner so far.

I think they've sold the Switch (insofar as they've sold it on software) on a) shock and awe at extremely fan-appeasing approaches to core fan favorites (3D LoZ and Mario) that also, in the case of Zelda at least, have ridiculously positive critical and fan reception and b) on a rather complete and convincing first party multiplayer suite for the first year.

I think a) is smart because it c) makes Switch relevant to lapsed and core Nintendo consumers and d) it does much to establish "no play like it," i.e. to carve out a space for dedicated handheld-hybrid gaming distinct from the mobile space, which threatens to consume the former.

I think b) is smart because e) it promotes LAN portable culture, which drives hardware/software sales of portable devices, particularly in Japan, f) it provides games that can be played continuously, offsetting droughts, and g) it, in particular, includes Splatoon 2, making the most of momentum on that series in Japan to drive sales.

Personally, I think, going into the next year, Nintendo can and should pivot its main software thrust to titles that don't hit at a), i.e. titles that can push expanded audience adoption and don't hit the "I'm a console game!" note as hard. I think they should try and get 2D Mario, AC, and Pokemon on the device as soon as possible and preferably something among those next year. I think those sorts of games should be the point of their thrust next year with the idea being: Nintendo has carved out a place for Switch imo, they've proved, despite doubts that they could do so, that there is room for a dedicated device of this nature and they can lay of that mission a bit and focus purely on driving install base next holiday or whatever.

I think Kirby, Yoshi, and Fire Emblem would be a decent start to building a catalog for the rest of the year. Maybe we see Smash 4 DX/5 to jump start their online initiative/complete their suite of multiplayer evergreens. Maybe Prime 4 or Pikmin 4 does come next year as another core-focused title to keep the base engaged like FE. Maybe we'll get Retro's game, which I imagine is, again, core-focused but I could see it being either single-player or multiplayer. But again, I think the centerpiece(s) ought to be big, expanded audience, and evergreen.

I also think Nintendo can achieve something like this, given their recent release history.

I'm also just hoping that 2018 sees h) the interest in Switch among Japanese third parties become ever more concrete in actual announcements and releases, i) sees Namco and Capcom commit to the device to an "acceptable" level, and j) SMT HD launches in 2018! :p

Also curious how Bethesda's current initiative and the Nvidia partnership will pan out, especially with an eye on western PC oriented titles finding an attractive portable option. I hope Switch turns out to be Nintendo's best case for expanded western support in a long long time, but we'll see how that works out. I do think the sort of specs Switch has, the sort of install base Nintendo can drive, and the hybrid functionality all offer a possibility of an expanded paradigm for dedicated handhelds in the west.

Also will be interesting to see if Nintendo can get the price down for next holiday and/or the thing keeps selling at a good rate despite its price as it (hypothetically) turns more to an expanded audience.

EDarkness

I think Switch will never have "big" third party exclusives. As mobile is the big thing in Japan, devs making console games will look for western sales. So it'll always be PS4/Switch or only PS4.

In the last pages we can see how Takaki doesn't still believe in the Switch, so that's why it won't get real Senran Kagura games (but he wants to release it on Xbox lol). That must be on many developer's minds.

Level 5 releasing multiplat with the PS4 and possibly SMT HD being both PS4/Switch are big reasons to believe in this.

Hopefully Nintendo can schedule their IPs well to always have something to sell the system.

I kinda feel like it's the Wii all over again. I guess we'll see in the next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NS gets more love outside of Japan, even though it's selling like crazy there.

So they should ignore the new platform with explosive growth just cause it's not at where the PS4 is? Wouldn't it be smart to jump on early and build up a base there?

Again. I'm not saying that's the best strategy, just what I believe third parties are thinking going by their comments and actions. Would love to be wrong.

Like some here said. I can see franchises that used to be NDS/3DS only going the PS4/Switch/maybe mobile route, but I can't see PS franchises going PS4/Switch.

I believe in general I'm not as optimistic about the Switch as most. I can't see it having system sellers third party exclusives like NDS and 3DS had with Love Plus, Monster Hunter, Youkai Watch, Dragon Quest, etc.

Aters

You can build a user base with multiplatform games just fine.

Delio

Again. I'm not saying that's the best strategy, just what I believe third parties are thinking going by their comments and actions. Would love to be wrong.

Like some here said. I can see franchises that used to be NDS/3DS only going the PS4/Switch/maybe mobile route, but I can't see PS franchises going PS4/Switch.

I believe in general I'm not as optimistic about the Switch as most. I can't see it having system sellers third party exclusives like NDS and 3DS had with Love Plus, Monster Hunter, Youkai Watch, Dragon Quest, etc.

Oh I will agree with you that some more traditionally PS franchises wont cross over. It's not always going to be PS4/Switch. I guess that comes down to if they dev something with PS4 in mind though.

Fiendcode

WiiU was their alternative viable option for Japan back then, because Wii was on it's last days and PC alone wouldn't cut it for Japan, so that's the reason for the ongoing support. Since SE has direct access on the number of people playing it, i am pretty sure they would knew if it was worth to make Builders and Heroes for WiiU.

Regarding DQXI, yes, we have been over this before but you still continue saying the same thing. Horii never said that DQXI was PS4 exclusive or started as a PS4 exclusive. Only thing he said was that before starting developing the game, they knew people wanted to play a mainline DQ game on their TVs again, so the decision for the next one to be for home console was there from the start along the portable version they always had in mind because obviously japanese players prefer playing on portable these days. This is totally different from saying that the game was PS4 exclusive and i really know why you keep insisting. The fact that you try to pass your own speculation as a fact or official news only to prove your point makes no sense at all. From the first interview Horii gave about the game in Jump

I think it's clear enough. Now, can you give this a rest?
Ah sorry, it wasn’t Horii,it was SE themselves. 3DS version started development later confirmed, although Horii did reconfirm that too. This isn’t speculation by any means but as I said we’ve already been over this.

As for skipping Wii U, I don’t doubt for a second the thinking was getting a royalty discount on PS exclusivity was seen as more potentially lucrative than whatever a Wii U port might sell. But that was the point, these big spinoffs went PS exclusive and later on that swung back to multiplatform.

Not in any development capacity, no he isn’t in charge of Atlus.

And I ask again, has Nagoshi ever made an appearance like this that wasn’t about CS1 games? Do you really think Sega trotted him out to represent properties he has virtually no involvement with like Sonic, PSO and Puyo Puyo?

Takaki-san would like to develop a dodgeball game next. Another genre he would love to work on is 2D fighting games. Again, we asked him if he’d like to collaborate with Arc System Works as an example, and he seemed quite appreciative of the idea. For that kind of game, he sees PC and PS4 as ideal platforms, and he’d also like to work on Xbox One.

While 7even is going to be released for PS4 at first, Takaki-san would like to launch it on PC as well. This is something he would love to do for more titles from now on, including Peach Beach Splash itself. He would like to do release PBS on Xbox One as well

Speaking of platforms, we asked Takaki-san about his personal preference between PS4 and Switch, and he threw us a curve ball bringing up the PS Vita, as it’s portable, with good specs and connectivity. When we mentioned that the Switch could fit those parameters as well, he explained that it’s slightly too big for his taste in terms of being a handheld platform. Funnily, he often tells Sony that he would like a successor to the PS Vita.

It really seems he isn't that interested on Switch and is only making two "cheap" spin-offs because Nintendo asked him.

Well, damn. We found the one guy who carries handhelds in his pocket, and his pocket is big enough for the Vita. It doesn’t matter that the Switch is both a home console and a handheld, can accommodate two players on the go out of the box, has motion controls and is considerably more powerful, because it doesn’t fit in what I assume must be a pocket in his jacket or something. Maybe Nintendo will make a pocket revision for him so that the Switch can hopefully rank above the Xbox One.

It’s something I was kind of expecting. Switch getting overall more games than previous Nintendo systems, but fewer 3rd party exclusives due to being closer spec wise.

I can see SMT HD being on PS4 based on how it was named (they specifically said SMT 3DS project in the same instance).
Wouldn’t mind that too much if Switch wasn’t also missing out on a bunch of titles. Guess we’ll see how that goes
If PS4 gets SMT HD and we still don't get P5 then I might be so pissed that I may not even buy more Atlus games.

Like, have it be multiplatform if you want Atlus, but then you better have it ALL be multiplatform.

I'm 99% sure SMT is Switch exclusive. It would've been announced for PS4 by now plus HD project...just means its the first SMT HD game. Don't know why people latched on to that. And while not mainline, P5 maybe could've just missed the boat, but P5/3 Dancing also missing Switch points to Atlus keeping SMT on Switch and Persona on PS platforms (Besides Q simce its made in ET engine) for the forseeable future. Which sucks. P5 is the game I want most for Switch. Like pick a system for all your games or do both, stop making me think P5/all future Persona games will come to Switch when all other Atlus games are Nintendo exclusive atm. :/

d+pad

You've really got to love comments like this: "it’s slightly too big for his taste in terms of being a handheld platform."

So, because it's too big for "his tastes" (LOL), that means no one else uses the system that way, that it's not worth developing for, etc.

Gee, it's so hard to figure out why many Japanese developers are struggling these days...

MoonFrog

The thing is PS4/XBone/PC RoW is more attractive an incentive than Switch Japan in a lot of cases.

Now, I think P5 is a perfect example of the sort of game that could be on both but might not from lack of interest/budget/aniplex partnership. (Given that Persona has a history of going portable and doing well there, I don't think it'll be lack of interest that is the problem, if there is one.)

SMT doesn't have that sort of thing holding it back. It'd be lack of interest/budget in/for up-porting it. Totally possible that ends up being the case.

It also isn't on a system that would be strange to up-port from. Again, Atlus just up-ported from PS3 to PS4.

Oregano

The thing is PS4/XBone/PC RoW is more attractive an incentive than Switch Japan in a lot of cases.

Now, I think P5 is a perfect example of the sort of game that could be on both but might not from lack of interest/budget/aniplex partnership. (Given that Persona has a history of going portable and doing well there, I don't think it'll be lack of interest that is the problem, if there is one.)

SMT doesn't have that sort of thing holding it back. It'd be lack of interest/budget in/for up-porting it. Totally possible that ends up being the case.

It also isn't on a system that would be strange to up-port from. Again, Atlus just up-ported from PS3 to PS4.

Considering a Sony Music brand is publishing a Switch game next month I'm not sure how big of a factor that was, or will be in the future.

PREDICTIONS: Switch hardware sales and Super Mario Odyssey sales, 2017 (Oct 23 - Oct 29)

800px-Nostradamus_by_Cesar.jpg

002.jpg

BrokenJohnCena: 150k (Switch) - 600k (SMO)
OfficerRaichu15: 110k - 380k
TheLegendaryN: ~100k - 280k
Chris1964: ~ 150k - ~340k
noshten: 150k - 450k - Splatoon 90k - MK8D 35k - BOTW 20k
Salvadora: - ? - 300k to 400k
The James: 230k - 500k
Zedark: 200k - 450k
Skullwaker: 150k - 350k
Gradivus: 140k - 400k
sinonobu: 160k - 360k
Heartskips: 100k - 300k
sphinx: ~125k - 265k
VLQ: 94k - 315k
Jon Carter: 160k - 320k
Bass260: 135k - 285k
Lizardus: 170k - 400k

tumblr_mlgjtz4Ftc1sonquko1_500.gif

sphinx

the piano man
switch hardware has disappointed every single time due to lack of supplies so I am going with 125k~

SMO: 265k

Oregano

Totally unrelated to current discussions but after playing the game I think Koei Tecmo has set a pretty high bar for Intelligent Systems in regards to production values. Those character models are freakin amazing.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Totally unrelated to current discussions but after playing the game I think Koei Tecmo has set a pretty high bar for Intelligent Systems in regards to production values. Those character models are freakin amazing.

Which game?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Is the PS4 getting big exclusives?

Sterok

I've always figured Fire Emblem Switch has to look better than Tokyo Mirage Sessions and FE Musou. There's no reason smaller spin-offs should be prettier than the mainline games on the same system after all.

PS4 can't keep getting away with this!

Yeah they are pretty. I don't however like the 2D models, I much perfer the 3DS ones.

But I think Fire Emblem Switch will surpass FEW, I mean it kinda has too, first console Fire Emblem game in years.

First thing IntSys said about FE Switch was that it was going to have amazing graphics, so I'm pretty sure it will look great. Exclusive Nintendo games have some of the best art directions in the industry.

Top Bottom