• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2012 (Dec 24 - Dec 30)

Wii U situation is depressing in the first months of the year, of course; let's see, though, if it will reach Vita lows, or it will stabilize around 3DS levels pre-price cut; in the latter case, I won't say Wii U is struggling.

The problem is: Nintendo MUST show games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so it seems that for Famitsu last week (the next one that will be counted tomorrow) 3DS sold 305.690 pieces

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In the end, it happened: Dragon Quest main remake, Monster Hunter main and Pokèmon main on the same console, in the same year.

In the end, it happened: Dragon Quest main remake, Monster Hunter main and Pokèmon main on the same console, in the same year.

Plus Tomodatchi collection.

This year 3DS just based on these 4 games is most probably going to sell even better than 2012 in Japan.

Gradivus

Well... that was pretty much just another nail to the Vita's coffin, if it ever though about recovering around the end of this year.

Well... that was pretty much just another nail to the Vita's coffin, if it ever though about recovering around the end of this year.

Actually I think it's too early to say Vita can't recover, even though it will hardly catch up with 3DS.

Speaking of which, what's the console/handheld that has sold the biggest number of consoles ever in Japan over a year time?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If you think Nintendo is in position to do with Wii U what they did with 3DS and that it's a similar situation you are the one who will be surprised.

So you think they wont be able to drop the price by 5000 yen and/or come up with a strong holiday line up for 2013 ? Of course WiiU wont sell as much as the 3DS, but thinking that they dont have exclusives and third party cooperations ready to announce when they are ready is very naive. They are sometimes behind..but they are not that stupid.

zroid

Banned
Actually I think it's too early to say Vita can't recover, even though it will hardly catch up with 3DS.

I was reading the DQ IX announcement thread recently and it was crazy to see how many people declared the PSP utterly dead then and there.

I don't know what can save the Vita now, but I won't be the one to declare it dead one year from launch.

urfe

Think Nintendo just announced new Directs at the end of every month to introduce games. They're coming, WiiU will be fine.

m.i.s.

Banned
So you think they wont be able to drop the price by 5000 yen and/or come up with a strong holiday line up for 2013 ?

I think what Chris might be trying to say is that what Nintendo can do with their handhelds is quite different to what they may be able to achieve with their home console line. The two product lines are not as analogous as you appear to imply. Wii U software will require a lot more work than 3DS software.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think what Chris might be trying to say is that what Nintendo can do with their handhelds is quite different to what they may be able to achieve with their home console line. The two product lines are not as analogous as you appear to imply. Wii U software will require a lot more work than 3DS software.
Of course, but I doubt that they have higher expectations than with the 3DS, especially for a home console in Japan. WiiU doesn't need to sell 3DS numbers to justify its existence for Nintendo.

Software requires more work, for sure but I doubt that anyone here is thinking that Nintendo won't have bug guns ready for the second half of the year. The next week's and months will be weak, but that's probably expected with its lineup. I expect Wii to be somewhere between Vita and 3DS performance in its first year.

Didn't Nintendo already release big guns? 2D Mario game, Monster Hunter game, Nintendo Land as the system's Wii Sports equivalent?

What other guns that would be considered big are they planning to fire? Mario Kart U presumably. Is Pikmin considered a big gun?

What were the biggest sellers back then?
Brain training?
Brain adademy?
Mario kart and NSMB?

By the way do you think it impossible for 3DS to break that record?
If it's going to cut it, it must be next year.

As for Vita, it's only early to say the exact hour when Sony will case its production.

I am predicting a price cut before long, and a few mid-tier third-parties games may be announced as well, so Vita may end up eventually as a otaku/niche handheld.

yon61

What were the biggest sellers back then?
I am predicting a price cut before long, and a few mid-tier third-parties games may be announced as well, so Vita may end up eventually as a kotaku/niche handheld.

Unless production costs decrease sufficiently, I don't see why Sony would bother losing money by dropping the price when it will have little effect in the long run.

vareon

I'm not really familiar with Tomodachi Collection and its popularity in Japan. How does it play? Is it one of the franchises that will go down a lot with the DS->3DS transition, like Brain Age and Style Savvy?

Unless production costs decrease sufficiently, I don't see why Sony would bother losing money by dropping the price

Because third-parties ask them to?

Vita needs third-parties support, but the install base is too little to make it viable enough, so once Vita should have a slightly better outlook some developers that have been holding off it so far could finally make their minds up and jump in.

At least, that's what I would do if I was Sony's CEO to fix Vita sales in Japan - as for the rest of the world, that's an entirely different matter though.

So uhm...
- Dragon Quest
- Monster Hunter
- Pokemon

Whens the next final fantasy coming out? :p
2013 gonna be crazy.
lightningsunglasses_thumb.jpg

Square-Enix, I never asked for this.

With the Mon Hun delay, we could see Mon Hun 4 and Pokemon X and Y in consecutive months.

3DS will have an insane second half of the year.

yon61

Because third-parties ask them to?

Vita needs third-parties support, but the install base is too little to make it viable enough, so once Vita should have a slightly better outlook some developers that have been holding off it so far could finally make their minds up and jump in.

At least, that's what I would do if I was Sony's CEO to fix Vita sales in Japan - as for the rest of the world, that's an entirely different matter though.

You assume developers haven't given up on the Vita already, of course.

As long as the 3DS is dominating like it is, Vita will only be an afterthought in the minds of gamers and developers alike in Japan. At this point I believe Road is right when he says it's only a matter of time before Sony ceases its production.

With the Mon Hun delay, we could see Mon Hun 4 and Pokemon X and Y in consecutive months.

3DS will have an insane second half of the year.

And by holiday 2013 the price of the 3DS could (will) be lower. The thing will sell gang busters.

At this point I believe Road is right when he says it's only a matter of time before Sony ceases its production.

If 2013 is the same as last year, absolutely.

smbu2000

Wow, the 3ds is going to be huge this year. Will the Pokemon announcement spur more sales in the short term as people now have a firm release date for the game(s)?

I'm still seeing shortages for Fantasy Life everywhere around where I live. I had a chance to check out the bigger stores as well, like Bic Camera, and they were sold out. If L5 didn't get out more copies it's going to have a large drop in the upcoming numbers.

I've finally started to have streetpass with some people playing Fantasy Life as well. By far the vast majority are playing Animal Crossing.

(I think that's the English name, streetpass, but I've never owned a US 3ds so I'm not quite sure about the name. I always call it surechigai.)

You assume developers haven't given up on the Vita already, of course.

Only speculations on my side, but just think of those developers having closer relations with Sony such as Konami - what are their plans for 3DS and Wii U? - or Falcom, or let's look at Persona 4 having decent sales on Vita, do you think Atlus is not interested in that potential marketshare?

Besides, in the foreseeable future some software houses may want to choose to downport their Wii U games to partly recoup developing costs, but that would be possible only if Vita was a more viable platform than now, so that's why they could do with a price cut.

Taurus

Didn't Nintendo already release big guns? 2D Mario game, Monster Hunter game, Nintendo Land as the system's Wii Sports equivalent?

What other guns that would be considered big are they planning to fire? Mario Kart U presumably. Is Pikmin considered a big gun?
3D Mario? Zelda U? Retro Studios game? Wii Fit U? Mario Kart U? Those 5 alone will sell more than 60 million pieces of software ltd.

Add Metroid, return of F-Zero, Starfox, Smash Bros 4, Donkey Kong etc. Nintendo has huge variety of IPs to use and release.

3D Mario? Zelda U? Retro Studios game? Wii Fit U? Mario Kart U? Those 5 alone will sell more than 60 million pieces of software ltd.

I don't think you can guarantee that all. Both zelda and 3D mario will most likely sell sub 10 million WW. You know nothing about retros games and it's not like they have exactly made lots of huge selling games. There is no guarantee that wii fits popularity will continue over to the wii either, i see another brain training situation but not quite as bad. Mario kart U will sell a shit ton but who knows if it can match the incredible numbers from last gen.

You can't just assume that games that sold well last gen will continue over to this gen (like with 2D mario).

yon61

Only speculations on my side, but just think of those developers having closer relations with Sony such as Konami - what are their plans for 3DS and Wii U? - or Falcom, or let's look at Persona 4 having decent sales on Vita, do you think Atlus is not interested in that potential marketshare?

Besides, in the foreseeable future some software houses may want to choose to downport their Wii U games to partly recoup developing costs, but that would be possible only if Vita was a more viable platform than now, so that's why they could do with a price cut.

Of course the ideal case would be developers maximizing potential sales on every platform available, but the ideal case is usually not the case. Take P4G, a remake of a game of a big franchise already, most games do not have such pulling power and it was the most anticipated Vita game in Japan either way and it did not do much for hardware sales at all.

If the 3DS wasn't dominating like it was, I do believe a price cut would've been a good thing but it's too little too late now. 3DS is too far ahead and has rendered the Vita irrelevent in the eyes of many developers.

Add Metroid, return of F-Zero, Starfox, Smash Bros 4, Donkey Kong etc. Nintendo has huge variety of IPs to use and release.
I'm aware they have many IPs. But I really don't think they're all comparable in terms of their sales potential.

NSMB was the biggest gun on the Wii in Japan. Even bigger than Wii Sports ultimately. Wii Fit was the third biggest gun, so we'll see if that takes off again.

But I don't know whether the notion "Wait 'til Nintendo releases its big guns" works that well, considering the tentpole of the launch is NSMB.

Taurus

What isn't clear? Nintendo has left Wii on life support last 2 years.
Isn't it pretty obvious they had moved to Wii U and 3DS development? Do you expect Wii U to suffer from games drought next two years?

Wii's first full year had 19 games published by Nintendo. Even if Wii U has only like half of those which is 9 games, we only know of Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3.

Taurus

I'm aware they have many IPs. But I really don't think they're all comparable in terms of their sales potential.

NSMB was the biggest gun on the Wii in Japan. Even bigger than Wii Sports ultimately. Wii Fit was the third biggest gun, so we'll see if that takes off again.

But I don't know whether the notion "Wait 'til Nintendo releases its big guns" works that well, considering the tentpole of the launch is NSMB.
Well you have to understand that launch games don't immediately do big numbers due to lack of huge install base which NSMBWii had when it launched. Expect NSMBU to do very well in the long run.

Steady releases of good software = steady hardware sales. There's not going to be one big game that will set the charts on fire, but steady releases of good to great games. And you have to remember that these are all games that you can't play anywhere else.

Well so far that is exactly what is happening. Until some more games get announced i think the pessimism is warranted. The wii U release schedule is empty.
But does it make any sense to think that way?

"Hey, we stopped developing for Wii 2 years ago. Then we stuffed our thumbs in our asses and wished for the best for Wii U!"

Wii U release schedule is empty because Nintendo hasn't announced anything. Do you think there's nothing to announce? No games at work behind the curtains?

Ok, take a look at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_products_published_by_Nintendo#Wii

And then come and say with a serious face that all you expect is for 2013 is Pikmin 3 and Wii Fit U from Nintendo. Then we have Nintendo execs touting how they have learned their lesson from Wii and 3DS software drought meaning there should be steady amount of software releases.

It's been 2 months since Wii U launched. We are still in the launch window for crying out loud.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I dunno, the game's doing less than I expected. Sure it's the 5th iteration of MH3 in some form, and maybe it'll have legs and keep selling alongside the hardware, but I think it's a minor dissapointment right now.

Even the crusty 5 year old port of MHG managed 250k on Wii.
At MHG's peak, though, it still never got to more than 3% of Wii owners. MH3U has reached a quarter of the U's userbase, and is putting up bigger numbers than any home console launch third party game since PS2.

I wonder if the transition to full 3D and DD will affect pokemon's sales. I don't think it will have a drastic impact in japan but perhaps WW it will. I could see it interesting a lot more western gamers who could see the jump to 3D as a substantial change as well as DD allowing for those too embarrased to pick up a copy in person due to the kiddy stigma surrounding pokemon. Just my random thoughts and musings.

Top Bottom