• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2013 (Dec 23 - Dec 29)

Alrus

It's pretty certain Baindai is going to release the next God Eater on the Vita, they would be stupid not to do so. It's the best selling game on the system. Fanbase is established, no need to alienate them by putting an entry on another platform when sales couldn't get much higher anyway.

Oemenia

Banned
It's pretty certain Baindai is going to release the next God Eater on the Vita, they would be stupid not to do so. It's the best selling game on the system. Fanbase is established, no need to alienate them by putting an entry on another platform when sales couldn't get much higher anyway.
Its standard practise now with core games in Japan to release an updated version later.

Given how drastically the Vita userbase has increased and the popularity of the game, the second release will sell very well and cost them very little.

I think you made the opposite bet you intended to. The post you just made talks like you think you bet that the 3ds sold less than 15 million. The old post of yours reads like you were betting in favor of it selling 15 million.

"If 3DS hits 15 million... I choose your avatar" Ergo "3DS sells big I win"

But new post? "I think I won unless 3ds had a miraculous 550000 week"

You seem to have goofed.

Lol you're right and no one noticed it then because Jamix wouldn't have taken the bet if he did. Doh!

I will accept my loss with grace; touché. I'm a little surprised at the result, but such is the way things go. I could argue that the deal is null because the 2DS was released (even though it wasn't in Japan) but I'm not that petty :p.
Go ahead, PM me the avatar I have to use, I'm ready.

Edit: Ha I didn't notice your wording in the original bet, you goofed, but we both knew what you meant so it wouldn't be fair for me to cancel as a result.

Hah, it's all good. The wording is off and the 2DS released, so you don't have to change your avatar.

Alrus

I'm really curious about how Senran Kagura 2 will sell, will be interesting. I'm not sure the strategy of releasing spin-offs on another platform is a sound one, we'll see.

Its standard practise now with core games in Japan to release an updated version later.

Given how drastically the Vita userbase has increased and the popularity of the game, the second release will sell very well and cost them very little.

Oh there's no question God Eater 2 Burst (or whatever it will be called) is coming at some point yeah. Although if it follows the same pattern as the original, the enhanced version will probably sell quite a bit less than the original.

Oemenia

Banned
I'm really curious about how Senran Kagura 2 will sell, will be interesting. I'm not sure the strategy of releasing spin-offs on another platform is a sound one, we'll see.

Oh there's no question God Eater 2 Burst (or whatever it will be called) is coming at some point yeah. Although if it follows the same pattern as the original, the enhanced version will probably sell quite a bit less than the original.
Burst sold as well as the OG release, which is due to the fact that the series gained popularity and the fact that those who bought it were highly satisfied.

Soul Sacrifice will probably end up selling as much if not more. All the Vita needs now is a big SE game, they could start by porting Type-0, it would be the perfect time to bring it to the West too.

Alrus

Burst sold as well as the OG release, which is due to the fact that the series gained popularity and the fact that those who bought it were highly satisfied.

Soul Sacrifice will probably end up selling as much if not more. All the Vita needs now is a big SE game, they could start by porting Type-0, it would be the perfect time to bring it to the West too.

Burst sold almost 200k less than the original. And I wouldn't be so sure about SS Delta, the first one wasn't exactly a runaway success despite all the hype.

I have my doubts, it's already available for pre-order and it's not charting on Comgnet (less than 12 points), it also failed to peak high on Amazon and it's currently at #60.

Soul Sacrifice was hyped to heaven before release, I'm not seeing much buzz for Delta.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Burst sold almost 200k less than the original. And I wouldn't be so sure about SS Delta, the first one wasn't exactly a runaway success despite all the hype.

Burst sold 150k less than the original and the re-release of Burst sold more than 100k.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think it's the New Year effect and just plain not very many copies being out there.

I mean, the standalone Final Fantasy X for Vita was sold out all over the fricking place, online and in stores, but it was only listed on the charts as having sold about 22,000. That seems kind of low for a nationwide online-and-offline sellout to me.
I wonder how many of each version SE shipped out.

That's true, every start of January it's the same story for some games.

If there is really demand for a game when restock comes sales will rise.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Best selling 10 games in 2013:

01. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y - 3.976.829
02. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 3.293.312
03. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 1.730.182
04. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life - 1.580.067
05. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden - 1.277.377
06. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z - 1.005.697
07. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 982.737
08. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V - 605.882
09. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U - 584.479
10. [WIU] Wii Party U - 518.766

I wonder though what would have been 9th and 10th without the bundles? Mario 3D World sold 410k. Was there anything that sold more than 410k, but less than 518k?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I wonder though what would have been 9th and 10th without the bundles? Mario 3D World sold 410k. Was there anything that sold more than 410k, but less than 518k?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - 470k
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 470k

These 2 would take #9 and #10

dolemite

Best selling 10 games in 2013:

01. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y - 3.976.829
02. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 3.293.312
03. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 1.730.182
04. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life - 1.580.067
05. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden - 1.277.377
06. [3DS] PazuDora Z: Puzzle & Dragons Z - 1.005.697
07. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 982.737
08. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V - 605.882
09. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U - 584.479
10. [WIU] Wii Party U - 518.766

I can't believe how different Japan is from the rest of the world.

RalchAC

Because ... ?

It's already been said. Those games where heavily bundled with the WiiU for this holiday season, so the numbers are kinda distorted.

If you follow the thread you'll see there is a huge discrepancy in those games sales depending if the bundled sales are tracked or not.

A nice bump from FFX for Vita, and Wii U's fall was softer than it could have been.

Week 1 2014 will be interesting.

Meanwhile, I'm assuming S-E are greenlighting more remakes as I type.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Because they won't be there in Media Create top 10.

Might at as well state Famitsu or Media Create 10 Top 10. They have different data and count sku differently seems kind of pointless to randomly lump them together, when you have things like download cards and bundles being included in one but not the other.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Might at as well state Famitsu or Media Create 10 Top 10. They have different data and count sku differently seems kind of pointless to randomly lump them together, when you have things like download cards and bundles being included in one but not the other.

Media Create includes bundled games at software. The only difference is download cards and sales of these are almost zero for games that aren't in short supply.

ohlawd

DQVIII HD would be nice but SE's not gonna bother updating the battle speed on that one. Nope. And they'll definitely make the OST worse; I don't want to imagine dat world map theme ruined. Not sure if I'd get this even if Jessica's puff puffs are in HD.

Takao

Banned
DQVIII HD would be nice but SE's not gonna bother updating the battle speed on that one. Nope. And they'll definitely make the OST worse; I don't want to imagine dat world map theme ruined. Not sure if I'd get this even if Jessica's puff puffs are in HD.

I imagine the iOS port kind of killed off any shot at a DQVIII enhanced port.

Zoe

But they had already remastered the OST for the western release.

Oemenia

Banned
I have my doubts, it's already available for pre-order and it's not charting on Comgnet (less than 12 points), it also failed to peak high on Amazon and it's currently at #60.

Soul Sacrifice was hyped to heaven before release, I'm not seeing much buzz for Delta.
Guess I am a bit too optimistic, I didnt know SS had such a marketing push but it did have good legs so maybe it sunk in eventually. It still did well though if its LTD is double that of the FW with less than a year on the market.

Well it beats sitting on it and making nothing. Vita games sell pretty well digitally and Im sure there are quite a few RPG fans in the West who bought the system after the library on the PSP.

I too don't believe SSD will sell as well as the original because the impression I'm getting is that it's like an expansion pack, but not a meaty one like Diablo 2 LoD,.

I doubt they would release an HD version of VIII, they might do a 3DS version because of how well VII did even though the did a mobile version, but even if they did it would probably never leave Japan. On the bright side VIII might get put on PlaystationNow.

All Wii U hardware SKUs are out of Amazon JP's top 100 now. Week 2's sales are going to be abysmal.

Hopefully it can at least stay above 10k for a few weeks. I'm actually more interested in how the 3DS starts off the year and what it's baseline will be this year. There were some stretches of sub 50k a week sales last year which hopefully it doesn't fall into. I wonder if Nintendo will consider launching the 2ds in Japan before the end of Q1 to give them a shipment boost and hopefully get closer to whatever target they drop the 3DS to.

Tripon

ETA to Media Create numbers? They probably won't be great for Nintendo, but it'll show what the baseline for Nintendo will be.

AmanoBuff

It's the first time after its announcement that I see the 64GB Vita card on Amazon's top 20 (rank 13 as of now). Seems those who can't find FFX in stock really want to play the game.

I don't remember SS vanilla doing very well on comgnet either

Edit- I just checked. Finished at 40pts and had a 92k opening

ETA to Media Create numbers? They probably won't be great for Nintendo, but it'll show what the baseline for Nintendo will be.

They should be released normal time (today at 8 AM EST / 7 hours from now), but I'm not sure if they will release them earlier.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Hopefully it can at least stay above 10k for a few weeks. I'm actually more interested in how the 3DS starts off the year and what it's baseline will be this year. There were some stretches of sub 50k a week sales last year which hopefully it doesn't fall into. I wonder if Nintendo will consider launching the 2ds in Japan before the end of Q1 to give them a shipment boost and hopefully get closer to whatever target they drop the 3DS to.

Well it seems to me Nintendo has a much stronger lead-in to this year than it did last year in Japan. Zelda released on the 26th, and we have Kirby next week already. I think that should help with momentum at least initially.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So...an interesting Famitsu issue, for being just the 1st in 2014

[3DS] Senran Kagura 2
[PSV] Dekamori Senran Kagura aka Senran Kagura: Cooking All Night (don't bake it, baby!)
[PS?] Senran Kagura Eestival Versus, in the genealogy of SV (maybe PS4, for real this time?)
[PSV] A brand new title from ASW, don't know if retail or digital or what it actually is
[3DS] Kumamon Puzzle, I suppose (based on...this: http://www.takara-univ.ac.jp/tokyo/news/2013/04/19/mzl.pbgxruml.320x480-75.jpg )
[3DS] Ultra Baseball Card Game (I believe) from Culture Brain
[PS3] Onimusha Soul (console version of the social game)

Especially because there could be a PS4 game among these announcements.
Apparently Senran Kagura Estival Versus is a multiplatform game, but they can't announce the platforms yet.

Gematsu said:
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (full title Senran Kagura: Estival Versus – Girls’ Selection), first leaked yesterday in Weekly Famitsu, is a PlayStation-format title, but won’t be exclusive to a single PlayStation platform.

“It [the platform] has actually been decided, but I can’t say what it is,” series producer Kenichiro Takaki said during this morning’s ‘Senran Kagura Busty Breasts Hyper Presentation’ live stream. “It’s multi[format].”
Source: http://gematsu.com/2014/01/senran-kagura-estival-versus-playstation-multi-format

I do think the number of game announcements is starting to improve as we're in the new year, but I would like to see more large (or at least like... mid-tier) announcements for pretty much any platform.

Sandfox

Oregano

3Kaze

Yet another multiplat game...

I don't think they were dissapointed with SV sales though. So maybe they're trying to expand the series, or the game is focusing on competitive online mode. Funny thing is SV is marked as a PSV/PS3 game in the trophies, was that really a mistake? :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We know that by "any platform" you really mean mobiles.;)

We can't go entirely down the schadenfreude route if we want some interesting games to play!

That said I'd be fine with mobile games of notable quality. I have all sorts of board games I love on the platform. It's just that the batting rate for original content isn't stellar.

aren't you satisfied by Onimusha Soul? ;p
Yeah, and then there's also the trend of taking the expected quality of mobile titles and putting it on dedicated devices instead of the other way around...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Gibson 4 the rescue
Famitsu - WiiU sold 61k down from the 79k last week, PS3 sold 41k up from last weeks 27k, PSV 83k v last week 70k, 3DS 188k from 209k

L~A

Famitsu - WiiU sold 61k down from the 79k last week, PS3 sold 41k up from last weeks 27k, PSV 83k v last week 70k, 3DS 188k from 209k

Gibson leaked some Famitsu numbers for this week.

Top Bottom