• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2013 (Dec 23 - Dec 29)

Alrus

As usual Sony benefits from the new year while Nintendo doesn't. Good numbers for PS3 and the Vita.

The Wii U is going back to abyssmal numbers soon.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Week 1 favourable to PlayStation platforms as always, it seems. Seriously, Vita over 80k? O_O

Sandfox

I don't think they were dissapointed with SV sales though. So maybe they're trying to expand the series, or the game is focusing on competitive online mode. Funny thing is SV is marked as a PSV/PS3 game in the trophies, was that really a mistake? :p

I would be shocked if they were disappointed but it really feels like all of the games on a Sony platform that should be exclusive are being made multiplat and I don't like that.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
very good Vita week it seems! N platforms down at NY week as usual (I wonder if it's a matter of demographic?)

Dat Sony bump! Good numbers for PS3/V, but like with the bump WiiU enjoyed it won't last and week 2 we'll see huge drops for all systems involved. I hate Week 2 -_-

Bruno MB

Wii U returns to reality, that drop is quite big for week 1. Normally the first week of the year for Nintendo systems is similar to the last week of the year but Wii U had a 25% drop.

Alrus

Dat Sony bump! Good numbers for PS3/V, but like with the bump WiiU enjoyed it won't last and week 2 we'll see huge drops for all systems involved. I hate Week 2 -_-

January is usually one of the most boring month for sales, there's barely anything to discuss because nobody releases anything and you have massive drops from the holidays season.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii U returns to reality, that drop is quite big for week 1. Normally the first week of the year for Nintendo systems is similar to the last week of the year but Wii U had a 25% drop.

from what I remember, usually N platforms go down at week 1. Am I wrong? What about 3DS drop?

L~A

Week 1 favourable to PlayStation platforms as always, it seems. Seriously, Vita over 80k? O_O

I always find that a bit surprising, .

For the 3DS (the Wii U is a different beast altogether), I think New Year was pretty favourable too, but sales being so high for Christmas, it "nullified" any potential boost. I mean, it was over 200k last week, and I have no doubt the drop would've been much worse if not for New Year.On the other end, PS3 went only from 27k to 41k.

By the way, makes me wonder whether Famitsu/MC are gonna stop tracking Wii starting with W1.

hiska-kun

from what I remember, usually N platforms go down at week 1. Am I wrong? What about 3DS drop?

Nintendo 3DS went up in 2012 and 2013 Week 1. First time it drops, not s good sign.

Week 1 2012

3DS | 240.819 | 197.952

Week 1 2013

3DS # | 279.259 | 250.205

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
very good Vita week it seems! N platforms down at NY week as usual (I wonder if it's a matter of demographic?)
I would suspect so.

Nintendo is big with families and younger audiences so they would get a bigger holiday gift boost.

Teenagers or individuals using holiday money to buy for themselves are more likely to end up with a PlayStation given their current line-up, especially since they likely bought a 3ds ages ago if they wanted one.

January is usually one of the most boring month for sales, there's barely anything to discuss because nobody releases anything and you have massive drops from the holidays season.

Yeah. At least we have Kirby - I'm expecting good numbers from that...

Nintendo 3DS went up in 2012 and 2013 Week 1. First time it drops, not s good sign.
Yeah I was expecting a slight bump too. 3DS numbers all holiday have been very disappointing. But then again it had Animal Crossing last year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I would suspect so.

Nintendo is big with families and younger audiences so they would get a bigger holiday gift boost.

Teenagers or individuals using holiday money to buy for themselves are more likely to end up with a PlayStation given their current line-up, especially since they likely bought a 3ds ages ago if they wanted one.

That seems legit

Mpl90

3DS goes down this week, that means 2014 will be bad. Let's see what happens with games.
Vita amazing.

Last week, it had the Zelda bundle that boosted the figure: without it, I suppose it would have been around 190-195k. Basically around the amount of this week.

...And how can 190k being sold in week 1 be considered bad? Checking past years, that's a pretty high value for this week.

L~A

Too bad it's releasing on a Saturday... how come by the way? It's hardly the big game people would skip school/work for :p

It should at least ease the pain of Week 2...

@MPL90 : oh, I forgot about the Zelda bundle. So yeah, it's pretty cool for the 3DS, though I'm afraid W2 will have it drop below 100k... I doubt Kirby is the kind of game to boost hardware sales.

Too bad it's releasing on a Saturday... how come by the way? It's hardly the big game people would skip school/work for :p

It should at least ease the pain of Week 2...

Well a game like Kirby will move most of the units during the weekend I'd imagine.

Mpl90

I don't know if it's going to help hardware, but I feel it'll have a debut among the greatest ones for the series. Comgnet preorders were just slightly under those of SuperStar Ultra on DS, and with the current Comgnet ratios, that could even mean a...300k+ opening?

Sandfox

I don't know if it's going to help hardware, but I feel it'll have a debut among the greatest ones for the series. Comgnet preorders were just slightly under those of SuperStar Ultra on DS, and with the current Comgnet ratios, that could even mean a...300k+ opening?

That would be amazing for Kirby.

hiska-kun

Last week, it had the Zelda bundle that boosted the figure: without it, I suppose it would have been around 190-195k. Basically around the amount of this week.

...And how can 190k being sold in week 1 be considered bad? Checking past years, that's a pretty high value for this week.

I'll wait until see the software ranking. If games are up, I won't have complains even hardware is down. If software is also down, that's bad.

At this point in the 3DS' lifespan very little will push hardware sales in the bulk so yeah. But I was thinking maybe 250k+? 300k+ seems really high for Kirby o_0

SmokyDave

I don't understand this logic.

I hope they earn less money to spend more money on their next system.
As a consumer it makes more sense to me than 'I hope they make a decent amount of money off sub-par hardware'.

I just want Nintendo hardware that I can actually look forward to and enjoy using. With Sony out of the handheld game and iOS controller adoption being hobbled by the ridiculous pricing, it's starting to look like high-end handhelds started and ended with the Vita. What a pisser.

Foshy

Yeah I was expecting a slight bump too. 3DS numbers all holiday have been very disappointing. But then again it had Animal Crossing last year.
Well, it's not like this year was empty. I'd have thought that it should have done more wirh Pokemon, MH4 and Pazudora.

L~A

I don't understand this logic.

I hope they earn less money to spend more money on their next system.

I really wouldn't worry about the 3DS, Nintendo is quite certainly going to do something this year (price drop? new model?). They're not going to let sales drop without doing anything right now.

I really hope so. By the way, the other day, I realised that Kirby was pretty much the only Nintendo franchise, with Mario and Zelda, to have had 1) frequent release since the first game, 2) not huge gap between releases (think Metroid for example). It's definitely one of Nintendo's "ever-green" franchises, and you're never gonna see people say stuff like 'OMG, it's been so long since the last Kirby game, it's dead!!'.

By the way, almost forgot : looks like that Touch Detective spin-off is getting a re-release on March 13th. There's still the 3rd game coming out this Spring, but we haven't heard anything about it in a looooong while.

image_thumb10.png

rpmurphy

As a consumer it makes more sense to me than 'I hope they make a decent amount of money off sub-par hardware'.

I just want Nintendo hardware that I can actually look forward to and enjoy using. With Sony out of the handheld game and iOS controller adoption being hobbled by the ridiculous pricing, it's starting to look like high-end handhelds started and ended with the Vita. What a pisser.
The high specs race is a high risk game. There will always be someone who will try again. But who knows, maybe someone will one day succeed and the market will default to premium products costing in the excess of $400.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Nintendo went comparatively high-spec this time. If Vita (the completely high-end handheld) pushes Sony out of the handheld-business and the 3DS performs weaker than Nintendo expects, what direction do you think will that push Nintendo into? I'd like the 3DS successor to have about the same jump over PSV as 3DS had over PSP, but for that to happen, the 3DS needs to succeed, otherwise Nintendo will probably take a closer look at GBA and DS and conclude that aiming for a lower price will help them more than the technological leap.

A technological jump over Vita comparable to Vita's over PSP is out of the quetion though. First, I doubt this would result in a big advantage graphically, second, the battery drain would just be too much, third, the price would be just too high, especially if Nintendo wants to make progress on other fronts, too (which they should always strive for).

SmokyDave

High end portables are a bad idea when people want cheap products.
Aye, sadly this much is clear. If anything, I expect the next Nintendo handheld to aim for a much lower launch pricepoint and be even further behind other mobile devices than the 3DS is now.

Fucking market realities :(

Bruno MB

Code:
WEEKLY HARDWARE SALES

GAMECUBE			WII U

2002-11-18	32.099		2013-11-18	20.177
2002-11-25	30.341		2013-11-25	27.325
2002-12-02	39.849		2013-12-02	46.773
2002-12-09	44.902		2013-12-09	72.982
2002-12-16	66.410		2013-12-16     119.159
2002-12-23	60.290		2013-12-23	79.174
2002-12-30	71.945		2013-12-30	61.000
2003-01-06	13.526          2014-01-06

Mpl90

I really wouldn't worry about the 3DS, Nintendo is quite certainly going to do something this year (price drop? new model?). They're not going to let sales drop without doing anything right now.

I really hope so. By the way, the other day, I realised that Kirby was pretty much the only franchise, with Mario and Zelda, to have had 1) frequent release since the first game, 2) not huge gap between releases (think Metroid for example). It's definitely one of Nintendo's "ever-green" franchises, and you're never gonna see people say stuff like 'OMG, it's been so long since the last Kirby game, it's dead!!'.

By the way, almost forgot : looks like that Touch Detective spin-off is getting a re-release on March 13th. There's still the 3rd game coming out this Spring, but we haven't heard anything about it in a looooong while.

image_thumb10.png

About re-releases...and about boobies (they're always pertinent to any subject!)

Senran Kagura Burst (Best Collection)
March 6th
2,838 Yen

Well, it's not like this year was empty. I'd have thought that it should have done more wirh Pokemon, MH4 and Pazudora.

Pokemon and MH4 created big bumps during their respective releases. People didn't wait until the holidays to buy a 3DS for them. Animal Crossing basically opened up a whole new demographic to the 3DS while these other games are more 'traditional' titles. It's going to be harder as the userbase increases to create sustaining system sellers.

Sandfox

Nintendo went comparatively high-spec this time. If Vita (the completely high-end handheld) pushes Sony out of the handheld-business and the 3DS performs weaker than Nintendo expects, what direction do you think will that push Nintendo into? I'd like the 3DS successor to have about the same jump over PSV as 3DS had over PSP, but for that to happen, the 3DS needs to succeed, otherwise Nintendo will probably take a closer look at GBA and DS and conclude that aiming for a lower price will help them more than the technological leap.

By the time the 3DS successor comes out they' should be able to make a good enough leap and give the device a decent price.

Log4Girlz

Aye, sadly this much is clear. If anything, I expect the next Nintendo handheld to aim for a much lower launch pricepoint and be even further behind other mobile devices than the 3DS is now.

Fucking market realities :(

Sucks. I think it would have been wiser to create a line of Ipod touch like products that served as their handheld line. Each time an Xperia released, they released a phoneless play version.

Mpl90

By the time the 3DS successor comes out they' should be able to make a good enough leap and give the device a decent price.

2014 is already the time when LPDDR4 RAM, in packs of 4GB, will be used in Samsung devices. They definitively can do that.

Yoshi

Code:
WEEKLY HARDWARE SALES

GAMECUBE			WII U

2003-01-06	13.526           2013-01-06
So we can see the result of focussing solely on Mario instead of having Resident Evil Zero, Zelda Wind Waker on top of Mario Sunshine and Mario Party ;)? I think Nintendo set themselves up for a bad start into the new year by offering nothing directly targeting teenagers and younger adults this year. I know their situation is such that it would hardly have been possible, but it's interesting anyway.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
mpl90 said last week hardware was bigger cause the Zelda bundle. So if that's the cause, there's possibility for software to be up

Can't see the reason, honestly. Last week there was an HW bundle, this week (without the HW bundle) is similar to the previous one, so why should we see more sw sold? also considering that the brand new softwre (Zelda) seems sold out (I've seen it reported here many times)

Nintendo went comparatively high-spec this time. If Vita (the completely high-end handheld) pushes Sony out of the handheld-business and the 3DS performs weaker than Nintendo expects, what direction do you think will that push Nintendo into?

This.
And to Smokey: I understand personal feelings and preferences, but N is still alive because it's somehow conservative, compared to the new competitors (MS and Sony), can't be really compared in terms of structure, nature, business model and so on. It is what it is: a videogame company that has only that business to succed/survive. an high-end spec top notch console (expensive or sold at a loss) in the actual business (not the old one with Atari, Sega or whoever) would be a suicide

EDIT: Oh, and don't be silly with that "Sony out of portable market" thing! :p

29./29. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2013.07.18} (¥4.800) - 13.506 / 392.732 <80-100%> (-6%)

Finally sold most of its shipment, and with no price collapse from what I've seen in Amazon/marketplace. While way down from BiS, it wasn't a failure (at least in Japan, no clue about numbers for the rest of the world...)

Yoshi

There were almost seven years between DS and 3DS, chances are high it will be less this time. So of course they won't offer the same tech again. How big the jump ends up being is up for debate though. They could very well aim for sub-Vita specs to achieve a price of around 150€/$/(*100 Yen). Also depending on the progress in battery tech and whatever their next special feature is going to be.

EDIT: Oh, and don't be silly with that "Sony out of portable market" thing! :p

Yeah that reeks of melodrama to me...if anything I think they'll adapt their next effort to the current realities of the mobile space. The Vita wasn't created with that in mind. What that means though, well, we'll see. But I'm thinking something more elaborate than the Xperia line.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
There were almost seven years between DS and 3DS, chances are high it will be less this time. So of course they won't offer the same tech again. How big the jump ends up being is up for debate though. They could very well aim for sub-Vita specs to achieve a price of around 150€/$/(*100 Yen). Also depending on the progress in battery tech and whatever their next special feature is going to be.

I totally foresee a 200€/$(*100Yen) maximum launch price, for a Vita-like HW or a 150bucks for a slighlty-less-powerful-than-Vita device, at launch.

I'd prefer the first one, maybe waiting for a bundle.

Yoshi

I totally foresee a 200€/$(*100Yen) maximum launch price, for a Vita-like HW or a 150bucks for a slighlty-less-powerful-than-Vita device, at launch.

I'd prefer the first one, maybe waiting for a bundle.

That would be no problem if whatever new feature the new handheld offers is cheap. If it ends up being cheap however, is not clear.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Code:
WEEKLY HARDWARE SALES

GAMECUBE			WII U

2003-01-06	13.526          2014-01-06

Damn Bruno :( Such harsh realities, Wii U fallen behind GC.

Top Bottom