• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2016 (Feb 15 - Feb 21)

Bitanator

Anyone think the NX could launch with minecraft? that would be a must in my opinion to help it get off to a good start, it would be a no-brainer sales wise

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You'll be hard pressed to find a free cabinet for any fighting or VS game in arcades in Japan. I'm wondering if the lack of an arcade release hurt retail sales, the number is appalling. Guess we will have to wait and see how Pokken and Tekken 7 fare to see if arcade presence makes a difference in Japan nowadays.

23191700664_e8dc38292a_b.jpg

24056406071_2e2ae32552_b.jpg

:^)
Doesn't count, it's 10am.

Welp.

Kinda concerned about Scarlet Grace after what happened with Setsuna's Vita version and the other mentioned games. PS4 version to the rescue lol

duckroll

https://twitter.com/Romasaga2_PR/status/702690957284610048

Square Enix's Unity developed Vita games having problems again. Romancing SaGa 2 is delayed on Vita since it still isn't of satisfactory quality.

Rise of Mana > Setsuna > RomaSaga2

Speaking of Unity and Vita, it has been 14months since Saga Scarlet Grace was announced and still no ingame footage or screenshot. C'mon Square!

Are you sure Romancing SaGa 2 was a Unity game? There was nothing indicating it was, and it's purely a 2D remake so it could have been made in anything. Maybe S-E programmers are just really bad at Vita optimization, period.

Vena

Does all of Sony's hardware have weird Unity engine problems? Didn't Firewatch have major frame rate and lag issues (Unity) as well?

Vena

Framerate and lag issues are hardly "weird" Unity engine problems. Lol.

Fair enough, I honestly wouldn't know as I don't exactly regularly use (or at all) said engine or even play games made with said engine. I thought it was something weird going on with how Firewatch was doing and now this as well. :p

zeromcd73

Are you sure Romancing SaGa 2 was a Unity game? There was nothing indicating it was, and it's purely a 2D remake so it could have been made in anything. Maybe S-E programmers are just really bad at Vita optimization, period.
I honestly noticed the news from the Japanese forums turning into a shit on Unity-fest. I just checked around and you are correct. I couldn't find anywhere stating that this was using the Unity engine (or any other engine at all).

Poor Vita-chan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does all of Sony's hardware have weird Unity engine problems? Didn't Firewatch have major frame rate and lag issues (Unity) as well?
Unity runs poorly in general. It's just less jarring on PC because you have significantly more powerful hardware (especially per CPU core).

On mobile, performance expectations tend to be pretty low and game scope is usually pretty limited.

The Vita does have extra issues in that Unity only used one CPU core on the platform for the longest time and is still far from perfect.

There's a reason major projects don't tend to use Unity, as performance matters a lot more in them. This is why Umbrella Corps sticks out as odd for example, since you would expect a game with multiplayer shooter performance requirements to use Unreal instead.

duckroll

I feel the main problem with Unity is that it was never designed originally to be the sort of specialized engine where you would build major projects on which require a lot of fine tuning in terms of memory management and so on. I mean it uses C# or javascript for object coding. :p

For mobile games this isn't a huge issue because the scope of the average mobile game scales very well with modern mobile hardware on smartphones and tablets. When people started making more and more "real" games with Unity though, even on PC we saw tons of optimization issues with Kickstarter stuff like Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity. Now translate that into a console environment where you have much more limited resources and are expected to get the same graphical fidelity out of it and you can see where it all starts to be a pain in the ass.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They keep trying to sell people on the larger project angle as well, so we see it more and more frequently.

Now, Unity 5 is better about this, but it still has a long way to go.

duckroll

Well, their pitch is that it is easy to use and scalable for larger teams/projects. They're not wrong. It's easy to make a big game with Unity. Just don't expect it to run well without high requirements! :p

It's a great engine if you plan on pushing something out on Early Access via Steam for example, where consumers will be less bothered by tons of performance issues at "launch". Not so great an idea if you want to release something that makes a great first impression from the start. Haha. Which is why I think Unity is increasingly a terrible fit for console development where expectations are different.

To be fair to little ol' Unity, Unity has a rather nice plugin infrastructure that sometimes covers legitimately hard problems like pathfinding. And there's actually an ecosystem there for plugin authors to sell their works, with the engine itself enforcing install limits and such for bought plugins.

That gives it a rather solid hook for small shops and people without much money or time to burn on a game project that isn't there (yet?) for UDK4. I've seen some folks go from UDK4 to Unity just because they didn't want to sweat those computationally hard details.

You could think of Unity as the Wordpress templates of the game engine world
if Wordpress is still a thing gosh.
It's not too far off!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Unity has very good reasons for being popular, yes. Similarly, you can google your issue plus Unity and probably find the solution to just about any problem you came across during development.

Unreal's asset store exists, and the community is growing, but it's definitely not comparable yet.

Sofmap confirms via Twitter a good start in reservations of Dragon Quest Heroes II. Not only that, the game topped the Rakuten Daily Chart.
Atelier Shallie Plus and Summon Night 6 were quite popular.

Summon Nights 6 for vita is also doing quite well on COMG chart, but i know that those 17 shops don't have any relevance

horuhe

Summon Nights 6 for vita is also doing quite well on COMG chart, but i know that those 17 shops don't have any relevance
Well, Atelier Shallie is not charting there, lol. However, I really appreciate COMG! numbers. Niigata-chan is always beloved here.

zeromcd73

I wonder what is going on with Dragon Quest Monsters Joke 3. Advertising seems pretty... non existent. One month to go until launch and still not a single second of gameplay footage.

It is still a month away but the leading up to launch for this game just seems so quite compared to every other game Square Enix has released lately which had major gameplay trailers, Square Enix livestreams, developer interviews, pages in Famitsu/Jump (edit: had 1 page in Jump last week) with tons of details about characters and the world. I think the only thing revealed this past month for the game is the multiplayer/street pass functions.

Mory Dunz

I wonder what is going on with Dragon Quest Monsters Joke 3. Advertising seems pretty... non existent. One month to go until launch and still not a single second of gameplay footage.

It is still a month away but the leading up to launch for this game just seems so quite compared to every other game Square Enix has released lately which had major gameplay trailers, Square Enix livestreams, developer interviews, pages in Famitsu/Jump with tons of details about characters and the world. I think the only thing revealed this past month for the game is the multiplayer/street pass functions.

yeah, weird.

Do we know how it's preordering? Like Comg points and stuff

Sterok

What are the odds that Pokken is the only Wii U game released this year that outsells Mario Tennis (not counting Minecraft since that released digitally last year)? We have low expectations for TP HD and Star Fox, a hypothetical cross-gen Zelda U might crush Zelda U's sales, nothing is known about some imaginary Paper Mario, and that's about it.

Sandfox

What are the odds that Pokken is the only Wii U game released this year that outsells Mario Tennis (not counting Minecraft since that released digitally last year)? We have low expectations for TP HD and Star Fox, a hypothetical cross-gen Zelda U might crush Zelda U's sales, nothing is known about some imaginary Paper Mario, and that's about it.

Paper Mario should be able to outsell it.

Mory Dunz

Zelda U and Paper Mario will outsell it. (Paper Mario might be closer depending on if it stinks.)

I'm also curious about this N-Stars thing. If it's an amiibo game on 3DS, it's definitely on Wii U as well.

it's on the top spot on COMG

dont know how it performs compared to the previous game, we should summon mpl90 for that

thanks

yeah, weird.

Do we know how it's preordering? Like Comg points and stuff

it's on the top spot on COMG

dont know how it performs compared to the previous game, we should summon mpl90 for that

1. (3DS) DQMJ3 - 104pt
2. (ps4) Dark Souls 3 - 91pt
3. (vita) Summon Night 6 (combined) - 80pt

Darius

Banned
DQJ3 performs notably worse than the previous DQM remakes on 3DS in ComG preorders. There is little to no hype and also marketing has been quite weak so far. No gameplay video footage a month before launch is really an oddity nowadays for a series that sold very well.

Indeed it's weird being the sequel of a million seller spin-off and on a platform that already showed to have a substantial DQ fanbase. The game might also be a slow-burning given the GW and such.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kinda expected when they are releasing so many DQ spin-offs next to each other, probably splitting the mindshare and marketing effort that way. Interesting to see how J3 will perform - especially with MH Stories and YW3 likely to cut into its legs.

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE MARCH 2016

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Feb 29 to Mar 27):

[PS4 + PSV] Gundam Breaker 3 (25 days) -
[PS4 + PSV] Summon Night 6 (18 days) -
[PS4 + XB1] Tom Clancy's The Divison (18 days) -
[WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (18 days) -
[WIU] Pokkén Tournament (10 days) -
[PS4 + XB1] Dark Souls III (4 days) -
[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 (4 days) -​

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: March 2 2016 08:00 am (EST)

Attention:
  • Remember for some games it's not only the 1st week.
  • Multiplatform entries are the combined available sales of each platform described

Rules:
  • Do not edit your post after the deadline. If you do, you'll be disqualified.
  • The official monthly hardware sales will be the sum of weekly numbers for all versions of the system available from Famitsu.
  • The official monthly software sales will be the latest total or the sum of the weekly numbers if the title is release before the period available from the Famitsu Top 30.
  • The official monthly sales for multi-platform releases will be the combined available sales of each platform shown in the title entry.
  • The official monthly sales for games with multiple versions will be the combined available sales of each version shown in the title entry.
  • Any game missing in the Famitsu top 30 will be taken out of the predictions.

duckroll

DQMJ3 feels like a product that was greenlit in a different era, and now that development has completed S-E is just going through with it because of sunk investment. They don't seem to really care about it anymore.

Monster Hunter Stories is far more interesting. Does it have what it takes to be the next big JRPG hit among kids on 3DS? Capcom is certainly making a big media push.

I noticed the lack of push and momentum for Joker 3 months ago. Even at the anniversary event, they didn't bother showing anything substantial. It really feels like an afterthought, which is strange given how well the previous games have sold.

DQMJ3 feels like a product that was greenlit in a different era, and now that development has completed S-E is just going through with it because of sunk investment. They don't seem to really care about it anymore.

Monster Hunter Stories is far more interesting. Does it have what it takes to be the next big JRPG hit among kids on 3DS? Capcom is certainly making a big media push.

Does this even make sense though? Joker and Joker 2 both sold well over a million units, and previous DQM 3DS games sold quite well. Joker 3 could have potentially been the best-selling DQ game of the past few years until DQXI... Is it really reasonable to "not care about it anymore"?

zeromcd73

Kinda expected when they are releasing so many DQ spin-offs next to each other, probably splitting the mindshare and marketing effort that way. Interesting to see how J3 will perform - especially with MH Stories and YW3 likely to cut into its legs.
But Builders was fine and got loads of marketing. Square Enix livestream at the end of every month and VJump stream every mid-month for several months leading up to launch and a crapton of other stuff.

Even Dragon Quest Heroes 2 seems to be kicking off its marketing campaign and had that massive livestream and info dump yesterday, and just 1 hour ago a special event was just announced for lucky participants to come play Heroes 2 at the end of March. HeroesII is releasing near the end of May and we've seen more of this game than Joker 3.

For what it worth, it looks like Breath of Fire 6 just launched on the Japanese Google Playstore (still not out on iOS)

1heVoIN.png

So far:
#55 on the downloads chart
#241 on the grossing chart
Installs 10,000 - 50,000
2.0 rating

bvwxEj1.png

duckroll

Does this even make sense though? Joker and Joker 2 both sold well over a million units, and previous DQM 3DS games sold quite well. Joker 3 could have potentially been the best-selling DQ game of the past few years until DQXI... Is it really reasonable to "not care about it anymore"?

Their priorities clearly shifted. Maybe they take the 3DS audience for granted and expect them to still be there with minimal effort, while they invest more in promoting DQ on Sony platforms because they want that audience in preparation for DQXI.

Their priorities clearly shifted. Maybe they take the 3DS audience for granted and expect them to still be there with minimal effort, while they invest more in promoting DQ on Sony platforms because they want that audience in preparation for DQXI.

They might minimize efforts in promoting the game but it's still a weird decision given Joker 3 sales potential. Priorities might have shifted but DQXI is being released on 3DS too and DQVIII was still the best-selling DQ game in Japan among the recent ones (also thanks to advertisement).

Yeah that probably makes sense, with the 3DS being host to two previous Monsters games they may feel an audience has already been established there and so with Joker 3 they stand less to gain with marketing vs building a userbase on Sony platforms, and given how many DQ games are coming out, they'll have to distribute their marketing resources smartly.

hiska-kun

I don't know how 2DS will perform, but pre-orders have reached the upper limit in Tsutaya (one of the few chain of stores that the console will be available). No info about when or if they will open pre-orders again due the limited shipment.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

This was pretty much my impressions as well - seems like they just wanna be done with it and arent even attempting to make the game look more interesting compared to the MH Stories, YW and co....hell even GunHo seems to be doing more promo for PaDX lol.
But Builders was fine and got loads of marketing. Square Enix livestream at the end of every month and VJump stream every mid-month for several months leading up to launch and a crapton of other stuff.

Even Dragon Quest Heroes 2 seems to be kicking off its marketing campaign and had that massive livestream and info dump yesterday, and just 1 hour ago a special event was just announced for lucky participants to come play Heroes 2 at the end of March. HeroesII is releasing near the end of May and we've seen more of this game than Joker 3.
Builders and Heroes are part of SE aggressive part to to increase the PS4 userbase as much as possible so they can sell all their big main titles down the line. They dont need to work on improving the 3DS userbase at +20 mil.

Also the 3DS is the last low-res device on the market and im pretty sure SE and co. cant wait for NX handheld to hit so they can finally start dropping those multiplattform titles on it. DQ Heroes will likely get a successor, so will DQ Builders...

Jackano

Anyone think the NX could launch with minecraft? that would be a must in my opinion to help it get off to a good start, it would be a no-brainer sales wise

??? People said that for the Wii U too. The only thing that is "no brainer" when talking about a third-party game is that it won't come on a Nintendo system before at least 3 years in and some cash.
Especially in minecraft case since it is more a Microsoft first-party game now.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
DQ fan base for this size of sellers is on 3DS already. There have been 4 remakes, 2 of them being Joker. It doesn't need big advertising push and promotion in order to sell 1 million.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
For what it worth, it looks like Breath of Fire 6 just launched on the Japanese Google Playstore (still not out on iOS)

1heVoIN.png

So far:
#55 on the downloads chart
#241 on the grossing chart
Installs 10,000 - 50,000
2.0 rating

bvwxEj1.png

That's a huge bias towards 1.0 reviews; what are the most discussed concerns about the game? I suppose there are also users who give 1.0 just because it's not like the older ones anyway :p

Ryng_tolu

Banned
PREDICTION LEAGUE MARCH 2016

[PS4 + PSV] Gundam Breaker 3 (25 days) - 180,000
[PS4 + PSV] Summon Night 6 (18 days) - 110,000
[PS4 + XB1] Tom Clancy's The Divison (18 days) - 105,000
[WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (18 days) - 75,000
[WIU] Pokkén Tournament (10 days) - 150,000
[PS4 + XB1] Dark Souls III (4 days) - 235,000
[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 (4 days) - 350,000

Top Bottom