• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Battle Network, why aren't there more games like this?

TreIII

I could totally see a online PSO3 style battle system with this franchise. Since the card system was already in effect and the different fields, it would have been relatively trivial, and could have been a huge success.

Given the technology that the portables have now, I'd like to think that the 3DS could easily replicate something of that PSO Episode III had.

But again, that's up to Capcom. They got a lot of people who bought a 3DS thanks to the recent and on-the-way Monster Hunter games. It's a perfect setup...

Berordn

There are like 8000 games in the Battle Network series, and nobody played them past the 2nd game. There are too many games like this.

...I played all the ones that came over here. (After the price dropped on a few of them, mind you.) Capcom really did milk it as far as they could. It's too bad, since it was a pretty good concept and the 2nd and 3rd showed the potential.

Ah well, it's dead now.

Azure J

Given the technology that the portables have now, I'd like to think that the 3DS could easily replicate something of that PSO Episode III had.

But again, that's up to Capcom. They got a lot of people who bought a 3DS thanks to the recent and on-the-way Monster Hunter games. It's a perfect setup...

I always thought they could do this from the time of the DS honestly, but given how at that time Starforce was coming into prominence, welp... :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
These games were amazing before they started aping Pokémon's marketing strategy.

Yeah, Blue/White was stupid, but I got them both for like $20 so my 13 year old self was happy. I want to say that I got into the series with 2 a few years late (around when 4 came out) and after beating a friends copy of 2 I went out and bought both versions of 3 the next day.

Another friend and I spent so many hours doing link-cable battles between my two cartridges.

Loved these games! I think I have 1-5. I stopped somewhere in the middle of 4 because I got burnt out from all the games. I have really fond memories of playing those bad boys though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Folder Back aside, 3 was incredible. My mouth dropped when Bass came in and broke the internet. lol

I miss this series. :( Starforce wasn't as good.

Ultratech

I played the ever-loving hell out of 2 and completely beat it (as in completed everything that was possible in Single-Player).
Also had great music:
Battle:MMBN 2 Normal Battle
Boss:MMBN 2 Boss Theme

As far as I've heard, it pretty much went to hell after 3. I always wanted to play 3, but was stuck on which version I wanted.

Tried to get into Star Force, but that battle system...eh, it wasn't for me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I played the ever-loving hell out of 2 and completely beat it (as in completed everything that was possible in Single-Player).
Also had great music:
Battle:MMBN 2 Normal Battle
Boss:MMBN 2 Boss Theme

As far as I've heard, it pretty much went to hell after 3. I always wanted to play 3, but was stuck on which version I wanted.

Tried to get into Star Force, but that battle system...eh, it wasn't for me.

You should pick up Blue. IIRC all White had was a different character as a minor boss and a bizzare style change that only worked for one oddly specific playstyle.

TreIII

I always thought they could do this from the time of the DS honestly, but given how at that time Starforce was coming into prominence, welp... :lol

Again, if they REALLY want to do anything akin to what I suggest (or better?), now's the time. The "Star Force experiment" failed, and it's since been 4 years since the last game of that style (we're just going to IGNORE that abomination "Operation Shooting Star", thank you very much! :lol). The "EXE" style of Rockman has laid fallow long enough, in my opinion, and now's the perfect time to bring it back in style on the 3DS.

Besides, with the Rockman fanbase being so hungry as it is for anything new, a new game of this style would certainly be a nice start, even if it wasn't what everybody necessarily wanted. But again, I would wager that the sooner Capcom establishes a reliable "go to" Rockman for the masses, the sooner the hardcore will get treated to the likes of X9 and etc.

KevinCow

Banned
I really wanted to like Battle Network. It had a fun battle system and a neat concept. I liked being able to just jack into any electronic, and I liked seeing all the redesigned bosses.

But man, fuck random encounters.

Kaizer

Banned
Used to love these games on GBA, I tried to get into Starforce on NDS, but it just wasn't the same. I also loved watching the show, Megaman NT Warrior, good times.

It's a weird thing. Blue/Black came out 3 months after White (or only EXE3 in JP), so it's kind of like a small update? Obviously it was planned from the beginning since otherwise Mistman's data wouldn't be in White, but yeah *shrugs*

Funny you should say that. Bought Battle Network 4-6 brand new and sealed earlier this month from an online retailer because I never finished the trilogy. Battle Network 1-3 gave me some of my fondest childhood memories. £9.99 each from Play.com but I think I bought the last ones as they've gone up in price now.

afE8jl.jpg

http://www.play.com/Search.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=Battle+Network
Didn't know there was a 6. Buying right now, thanks!

Man, I loved this series. I remember seeing the first one and wondering what the hell it was. After playing through it I was hooked. I thought there were only 3 games till I saw part 6 at Walmart and decided to go through 4-6 in order. 2 and 3 were the best games IMO, but 6 was also really good.

I loved the Boktai crossover, which actually got me curious about that series, which I eventually loved as well.

leroidys

I think 5 gets a lot of carry-over hate from how bad 4 was. MMBN5 was a great game with great mechanics, though like MMBN3 it was kinda overlong. A lot of people I hear hating on 5 even admit to never having played it.

It's nice to see that 6 is finally getting some recognition for being a solid entry though. It's a shame they ran the series into the ground, but even I don't really care if the series comes back at this point. The games were fun, but they should have been spaced out MUCH better.

There was only a four year difference between the 1st game and the 6th, and that is only the main entries. As posted earlier, there was a TON of shit made under the moniker. If they had just spaced the games out and giving them a little more time in the oven, it could have been Capcom's pokemon (in Japan at least. That shit was huge while pokemon was at it's lowest point in recent years.)

clemenx

Banned
I love the 1st 3 games. It blows my mind how Capcom killed this series within the GBA lifespan, pretty remarkable :(

I loved the Boktai crossover, which actually got me curious about that series, which I eventually loved as well.

Yeah, remembering that CoA removed it from both 6 and Starforce still makes me angry :/ Although Konami makes me even angrier, since to remove the crossover in Lunar Knights they went as far as to REMOVE THE ENTIRE FUCKING ONLINE MODE >__<

I had a lot of love for this series, but I got so burnt out that I stopped halfway through 4 and never looked at it again despite having the patience to find/beat all the v3 bosses as well as any hidden bosses in the previous games. I loved the GC game though, it may have been somewhat mediocre MM wise, but the music was fantastic.

Oh yeah, that was a weird arbitrary omission.
Well, that was because the games weren't really 'paired' in the sense of Red/Blue.

At first, there was just Rockman EXE 3:
hN0Do.jpg

then later, it recieved a 'special version', called Rockman EXE 3: Black, which fixed up some stuff in the original, added extra people like Punk and Mr. Famous, replaced MistMan with BowlMan, and had different chip codes, Giga Chips, shop selections, etc.
YF9Ja.jpg

For overseas releases, they positioned the two as opposite versions, naming the original version White, and Black into Blue.

Takao

Banned
I know the feel of having a beloved property killed because it was milked until it bled. I know that feel bro. :(
Actually I don't, since most of the games were Japan-only! GAH!

Is that LEGO Ninjago game that steals assets from MMBN still up?

wwm0nkey

I know the feel of having a beloved property killed because it was milked until it bled. I know that feel bro. :(
Actually I don't, since most of the games were Japan-only! GAH!

Is that LEGO Ninjago game that steals assets from MMBN still up?

You mean that game where all they did was swap out the sprites? Yeah I think its still up and still very shameless.

(It actually had files from MMBN)

test_account

XP-39C²
I really loved the first one, but for some reason i never took the time to play the other ones. I do own pretty much all of them though for collection purposes (i know i own everyone for GBA, but i'm probably missing some of the DS ones).

wwm0nkey

I remember as a kid thinking that a Megaman Battle Network Global Transmission would be an amazing idea. Basically just a MMBN game but you make your own guy and compete in online tournaments.

TreIII

All this talk about EXE actually inspired me to dig up this old gal from 2009:

Megaman Network said:
Takeshi Horinouchi looking to do more EXE

...Horinouchi states: “Rockman EXE Operate Shooting Star will go on sale November 12th. Though the series wrapped up three years ago, thanks to the players Rockman EXE is able to sell once again. Furthermore, as we approach Rockman’s 25th anniversary, I’m thinking of what I want to do with Rockman EXE.”

Should Horinouchi follow through with his thinking, then Operate Shooting Star is only the beginning. Well, the re-beginning.

- http://www.themmnetwork.com/2009/09/25/takeshi-horinouchi-looking-to-do-more-exe/

Obviously, circumstances have changed quite a bit since the time this interview was taken. For that matter, OSS would go on to not even do THAT well (and deservedly so).

But if Japan still does care about EXE, who knows?

Takao

Banned
The anime was kind of silly. I remember Lan (see what they did there?) plugging his Navi into an oven through an ethernet port (wut) and battling viruses (oven has a virus? wutwut) while the house was on fire.

wwm0nkey

The anime was kind of silly. I remember Lan (see what they did there?) plugging his Navi into an oven through an ethernet port (wut) and battling viruses (oven has a virus? wutwut) while the house was on fire.

Anime was pretty silly, the manga wasnt half bad from what I remember but then again I have not read them since I was in middle school lol

Thores

I liked 1 a good amount but never got around to picking up the sequels. I hope 3DS starts doing GBA games for their VC eventually, these games seem like they'd be a shoe-in for the service.

Yeah, remembering that CoA removed it from both 6 and Starforce still makes me angry :/ Although Konami makes me even angrier, since to remove the crossover in Lunar Knights they went as far as to REMOVE THE ENTIRE FUCKING ONLINE MODE >__<

Yeah, I hated that Konami did that to Lunar Knights, that's one of the reasons I was excited for the game, but I guess I should've read more about the game before purchasing. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it, but got really sad wen I lost my game and couldn't do the extra missions after beating the game.

bubnbob

Banned
I tried to do a marathon of these because I've never actually played them, but stopped at 2 because it wanted me to do something really arbitrary like find a certain chip to continue. It was near the end area too. Maybe I'll try again.

Well yeah, that was pretty much the first scenario of the first game.
OByw5.jpg

So awesome.

The concept of the series is pretty silly, and ridiculous, and awesome (EVERYTHING CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET), going as far as having the environment controlled by computers, suppressing volcanoes and earthquakes and stuff.

TreIII

Well yeah, that was pretty much the first scenario of the first game.
OByw5.jpg

So awesome.

The concept of the series is pretty silly, and ridiculous, and awesome (EVERYTHING CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET), going as far as having the environment controlled by computers, suppressing volcanoes and earthquakes and stuff.

Sure, it's silly, but it's really not that far from what the original series was all about. The only real difference is that in the original series, "EVERYTHING WAS A ROBOT, OR CONTROLLED BY ROBOTICS", instead. :lol

alf717

I miss this series of Mega Man games as well. It was so well done and fit well into the Mega Man universe. Then they go an end it with Battle Network 6 and ruined it with Star Force. In battle Network you have the freedom to fight on a well thought out battle screen and could use chips to take the advantage and then Star Force came along and ruined this fun concept with move left, right or block. It was fun buying Battle Network titles just to see the old robot masters getting a new re-vamped looked. I really enjoyed the art work this series has to offer. My only gripe with the series was Capcom bitching out and changing the names of the RM's (really spout man, torch man, JAPAN man?!?!). Shun would be disappoint. =D I doubt we will be seeing anything decent Mega Man related for a long time now that Inafune is no longer with Capcom.

Top Bottom