• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Battle Network, why aren't there more games like this?

wwm0nkey

I really loved the character designs in this series, probably my favorite megaman designs ever

MMBugStyle.jpg

My only gripe with the series was Capcom bitching out and changing the names of the RM's (really spout man, torch man, JAPAN man?!?!).
I think in the case with Spoutman, it was because some sort of fuss they got in with DC over Aquaman. Although who even knows with Torchman. Also, lol JapanMan.

I really loved the character designs in this series, probably my favorite megaman designs ever
Yes, most of the navis are awesome. The style system progressing to souls and crosses led to some cool designs for MegaMan.

Thoraxes

I just wanted to come here to say that MMBN 3 was probably one of my most favorite GBA games ever, and that it was one of the biggest surprises for me during that generation.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
FBgkk.jpg

I should start a new game in White, get Ground Style, and as a personal challenge make it actually useful.

Oh, and 3 had some fuckawesome boss fights:
wYNzb.jpg
PIg8U.jpg

TreIII

I doubt we will be seeing anything decent Mega Man related for a long time now that Inafune is no longer with Capcom.

Honestly, Inafune's departure probably won't make that much of a difference in this area. Short of the PSP games and MM9+10, Inafune wasn't really that involved with the MM meta-series on the day to day basis that someone like Horinouchi was.

So, if Capcom does decide to continue the MM series, it'll be because it's something they actually want to do, with about as much reservations relating to Inafune being gone as Mikami being gone in RE's case.

My only gripe with the series was Capcom bitching out and changing the names of the RM's (really spout man, torch man, JAPAN man?!?!). Shun would be disappoint. =D

I'm just going to be pedantic here: all of those did have some decent reasoning behind them.

Aquaman was actually called Aquaman in whichever MMBN game he was first in (I think 4), but they got paranoid (or threatened) and had to change it in the sixth game.

Torchman is just from the English version of the cartoon, which made a lot of really dumb changes (like calling Napalmman "Moltanicman". The games still called him Fireman.

Japanman is dumb as hell, but the MMBN games apparently had pretty severe text space issues, so I guess there was no way Yamatoman could stay.

It says like $27 new. Yeah, it's not Amazon's price, but it's an option. Still, it'd be a good idea to get it in case it becomes as rare as the MMOCW...
6 new from $95.95 13 used from $54.99

or the MMZOCW
5 new from $100.00 18 used from $54.99 1 collectible from $90.00

...yeah.

Azure J

It says like $27 new. Yeah, it's not Amazon's price, but it's an option. Still, it'd be a good idea to get it in case it becomes as rare as the MMOCW...

or the MMZOCW

...yeah.

Please don't remind me of how expensive the X and Zero Perfect Works got over time. I still feel like a dumbass for not picking both up when I could.

I fucking loved the first game, but I got sidetracked after 2 was released and never played it, and then there were four more damn games and I just gave up on the series. Too confusing.

It's like trying to get into the Dynasty Warriors games when you know nothing about the series. Is the newest really the obvious best? It's too confusing and stressful to wade through them all, and the deluge of constant sequels makes you suspect the series is a soulless cash grab anyway.

But yeah, 1 was fantastic. Almost as brilliant a spin-off as the MML series.

qq more

The gba games were epic. Red sun and blue moon? were amazing. Once it went to FPV, it wasnt as good

MMBN4 is something I wouldn't really honestly call amazing... One of the worst Mega Man games of all time. MMBN2, 3 and 6 were great though. 1 and 5 were okay.

By the way, out of curiosity. Does that mediocre MMBN1 "remake" for the DS include online play?

TreIII

By the way, out of curiosity. Does that mediocre MMBN1 "remake" for the DS include online play?

Nope. And that's another reason why Operate Shooting Star was such a let down. No gameplay enhancements over the original and archaic MMBN1 style of play, no Wi-Fi...

Ultratech

Nope. And that's another reason why Operate Shooting Star was such a let down. No gameplay enhancements over the original and archaic MMBN1 style of play, no Wi-Fi...

I was fixing to say, wasn't OSS pretty much just a port?
Outside of few things added and an extra scenario, you were pretty much just as well off getting the original.

Boogiepop

Got the art book not too long ago and nostalgia'd hard on this series.

But yeah, 2-3 (especially 3) were fantastic, but then it kind of fell off. I still KINDA had fun with 4 despite all of its issues, but good god was 5 a mess. I mean, ugh. Pretty much nothing redeeming about that game. 6 was okay, but things were pretty stale by that point. Also, I actually bought Battle Chip Challenge, and THAT was a pointless game.

Honestly, I was actually pretty satisfied when I went ahead and tried the first SF game finally. I knew the battle system was a step down, but it wasn't quite as bad as I expected, and just the change of setting, characters, and everything else at least made things feel fresh again.

Please don't remind me of how expensive the X and Zero Perfect Works got over time. I still feel like a dumbass for not picking both up when I could.

The X one still has a reasonable price on Amazon right now IIRC actually...nevermind, it's sold out and everything else is $100+.

You forgot the "they took out armors" part. Also, they did improve its gameplay...with * codes...yeah...

I was fixing to say, wasn't OSS pretty much just a port?
Outside of few things added and an extra scenario, you were pretty much just as well off getting the original.

Yeah, only reason to get it is if you want to have an epic Megaman vs Megaman battle (which can only be done once...), if you want to play as SF Megaman (who by the time you get you already beat most of the game...), or if you have a DSi.

Top Bottom