• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

The slowdown isn't actually a hardware limitation, was done intentionally on the software side in the original versions when there was too much stuff going on so you could make more sense of it.

Also this collection is about preserving the legacy (see what I did there?) so it was meant to be as faithful to the products you grew up playing as possible :)

I don't think that is accurate at all. It was done intentionally in this collection, but I'm pretty sure in the original games the slowdown was a hardware limitation. You're gonna need to provide a source for that claim.

BONKERS

The slowdown isn't actually a hardware limitation, was done intentionally on the software side in the original versions when there was too much stuff going on so you could make more sense of it.

Also this collection is about preserving the legacy (see what I did there?) so it was meant to be as faithful to the products you grew up playing as possible :)

Any references proving this? I'm pretty sure the NES games were limited by the hardware.

I hope they at least speed up the exceptionally slow and ear-grating life bar filling in Mega Man 4. Made fighting bosses such a pain.

Strange how the steam page for the collection doesn't show the price yet.

I hope they at least speed up the exceptionally slow and ear-grating life bar filling in Mega Man 4. Made fighting bosses such a pain.

Strange how the steam page for the collection doesn't show the price yet.

Yeah, so far:

No preload option on Steam (don't they usually do a preorder discount or something?)
A dedicated page on the Xbone store (but no preload option)
No page or option at all on PS4

On the steam forums, a Capcom rep said that MMLC will be up by midnight on 8/25 for steam, but how does that work console wise?

Tizoc

Slightly off topic but the Archie Megaman comic series is a GREAT companion to the games.
I read the Megaman 3 adaptation and it's the reason it made me buy Megaman 3 and 4 PSX off PSN lol.
So if you want more Megaman in your life, def. get those as they're great for kids too.

Dr Dogg

Thank christ this is out tomorrow so I've got something to preoccupy myself with until next week's big release. Cracking work on the OT MaverickHunterX.

Is there any word whether they are supporting resolutions other than 720p/1080p ? This makes integer scaling somewhat tricky in various resolutions.

Even though I've been taking in as much info as possible about this release I've not heard anything at all. Looking at the screens and footage released though it seems they are framed so not an exact 720 or 1080 vertical lines of resolution (although just seen a shot in the OP that you can ruin them by stretching them to fullscreen). Be interesting to see what they've done as wasn't the NES outputting something like 256x240 (although there's a bit of overscan compensation in there too)?

Is this up tomorrow on the European PS4 store, or will it be Wednesday? I notice sometimes things come out on Tuesday, sometimes on Wednesday these days in Europe.

me0wish

Is there any word whether they are supporting resolutions other than 720p/1080p ? This makes integer scaling somewhat tricky in various resolutions.

I'm curious about this as well, really need to know if higher resolutions are supported.

I really appreciate the descriptions of each previous collection. Thanks!

The fact that each game has been ported to the new engine, rather than emulated, is more than enough for me to be excited for this release.

Leaving this here

Digital Eclipse has said a lot of things about this version, promised a lot of things. They've had an ugly history with retro releases in the past, but this is supposedly a reformed team with a different direction. I feel like this is their last chance at redemption. If they botch this, after all they've said...

I hope they deliver.

I assumed it would get rid of the flickering (having not followed the news), but it doesn't so I'll probably stick with the virtual console versions I have already.

I don't think that is accurate at all. It was done intentionally in this collection, but I'm pretty sure in the original games the slowdown was a hardware limitation. You're gonna need to provide a source for that claim.

Any references proving this? I'm pretty sure the NES games were limited by the hardware.
If I may answer (I just now heard about it), it was discussed in this video from 5:20. It is a GameSpot video with a producer of this collection and a community manager for it. https://youtu.be/aBW0ZlgiThw?t=320
There are two types of slowdown in the games, some are from hardware limitations but most of the slowdown was written into the game. The hardware slowdown is out of this version but the software slowdown is still in it.

Tenebrous

Leaving this here

Digital Eclipse has said a lot of things about this version, promised a lot of things. They've had an ugly history with retro releases in the past, but this is supposedly a reformed team with a different direction. I feel like this is their last chance at redemption. If they botch this, after all they've said...

I hope they deliver.

They better not botch it - My excitement is through the roof!

And if they do fuck it up, Steam refunds will save me.

SCB3

Nice OT!

In for it as soon as it's purchasable on Steam.

afaik, they're using the eclipse engine to run the games with an accurate level of emulation. Probably didn't want to also fix it up for SNES, PS1, and port 9/10 over

Wait it's taking a year for a physical release? Why? The least they could do is add 710 during the wait, even as DLC, it just screams laziness and/or cheapness on Capcoms part

soqquatto

this is 100% bull. the NES could not simply handle all that stuff effortlessly, especially considering the fact that the first episode came out 2 years after the launch of the console, at a time when games were quite minimalistic overall and the capabilities of the NES were still being discovered. non that there was much to discover anyway.

Tenebrous

this is 100% bull. the NES could not simply handle all that stuff effortlessly, especially considering the fact that the first episode came out 2 years after the launch of the console, at a time when games were quite minimalistic overall and the capabilities of the NES were still being discovered. non that there was much to discover anyway.

It's both. Digital Eclipse explained this in an interview. Some slowdowns were hardware based, and others were there by choice. They've removed the slowdowns caused by hardware limitations, and left the others in.

RowdyReverb

I ashamed to admit that I'm a little bummed by the lack of accessibility or easy-mode features (unless I missed something). I've always loved the MM games, but I've never been able to beat one without save states or game genie.
I really liked how they handled this for the NES games in Rare Replay (rewind time, infinite lives option), but I understand that the goal here is mostly preservation and that's ok.

Tenebrous

I ashamed to admit that I'm a little bummed by the lack of accessibility or easy-mode features (unless I missed something). I've always loved the MM games, but I've never been able to beat one without save states or game genie.
I really liked how they handled this for the NES games in Rare Replay (rewind time, infinite lives option), but I understand that the goal here is mostly preservation and that's ok.

It has one save state per game.

I'm disappointed by there being no achievement for beating a game without saving.

I'll be buying this digital for the PS4 and then physical for the 3DS later in the year.

Quite excited to buy these games for the millionth time. :D

Velcro Fly

Waiting for the physical release but will be keeping an eye on this thread for impressions and such. Huge Mega Man fan from back in the day.

Why does Digital Eclipse sound familiar? I feel like I heard that name recently.

Isn't Other Ocean a part of that company? That's the team that handled the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 port.

This seems to have been handled with a lot more care, fortunately.

Balb

Isn't Other Ocean a part of that company? That's the team that handled the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 port.

Yeah, but I trust the people behind this more (mainly Frank Cifaldi). I don't have any doubt that the games will play/run well.

I do wish that the games allowed you to switch weapons with the L and R buttons though.

Yeah, but I trust the people behind this more (mainly Frank Cifaldi). I don't have any doubt that the games will play/run well.

I do wish that the games allowed you to switch weapons with the L and R buttons though.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident in this collection. I've watched a lot of footage with the developers and it's looking great.

Slightly off topic but the Archie Megaman comic series is a GREAT companion to the games.
I read the Megaman 3 adaptation and it's the reason it made me buy Megaman 3 and 4 PSX off PSN lol.
So if you want more Megaman in your life, def. get those as they're great for kids too.

This

IronLich

I've been in the mood for some Megaman, and I'm arriving for all the potential Challenge levels. Megaman NES Remix is worth the $15 by itself.

Plus, I haven't proxy bought Megaman 3 enough even if it is one of my favorite all time games.

Top Bottom