• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

Spy

It's both. Digital Eclipse explained this in an interview. Some slowdowns were hardware based, and others were there by choice. They've removed the slowdowns caused by hardware limitations, and left the others in.
I don't believe them. They keep making up new reasons for the slowdown.

xlom3000

I don't think that is accurate at all. It was done intentionally in this collection, but I'm pretty sure in the original games the slowdown was a hardware limitation. You're gonna need to provide a source for that claim.

http://nesdev.com/NESTechFAQ.htm#slowdown

The NES doesn't slow down and flicker automatically. Actually what happens is that as a game becomes more complex, and more objects are introduced into the play area, there is not enough time in one frame (1/60th of a second) to calculate all the action for one frame. The NES CPU runs at about 1.79 Mhz, not quite fast enough for some calculations. In fact, if the calculations spill over to the next frame, oftentimes a game will glitch or freeze up. So, the programmers put slowdown into the game to split the calculation between successive frames.

Sounds like almost all slowdown on the nes was intentional to prevent the hardware from freezing up when expecting data and getting none or only part of it.

120v

Could be nostalgia goggles but I don't remember there being much slowdown in classic mega man. I mean it was there but other nes games were far worse

Played through mm2 a few weeks ago I think the only slowdown was on crash man's stage where those annoying birds egg bomb you on the ladder

Could be nostalgia goggles but I don't remember there being much slowdown in classic mega man. I mean it was there but other nes games were far worse

Played through mm2 a few weeks ago I think the only slowdown was on crash man's stage where those annoying birds egg bomb you on the ladder

That, the fight with the dragon in Wily 1, there's a little bit in the fight with the room at the end of Wily 2, the wall cannons at the end of Wily 3 etc. Mostly it was because of too many sprites, so using certain weapons will do it more consistently, particularly CBombs, a lot of boomerangs and sometimes the air shooter.

soqquatto

http://nesdev.com/NESTechFAQ.htm#slowdown
Sounds like almost all slowdown on the nes was intentional to prevent the hardware from freezing up when expecting data and getting none or only part of it.

exactly. in 1986 no one would have made a game going slower to be "merciful" with the player. you either tune the difficulty in order to not have a difficulty spike or just give zero fucks and have a difficulty spike. the slowdowns were needed and caused by purely technical reasons.

Rokal

I'm just going to put these two Jeremy Parish articles right here:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/meg...e-replay-two-different-approaches-to-the-past

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/pre...pth-mega-man-legacy-interview-youll-ever-read

This is a really, really important step for the commercialization of preservation and a healthy move toward a focus on coherency and authorship in compiling collections of video games.

I really wish they would have just removed all the slowdown. The later NES Megaman games, starting with 3, are basically slide-shows at times.

The article linked leans towards the Megaman Collection as the "better" way to repackage old games, but I much prefer the approach Rare Replay took. I don't need 1:1 visual accuracy and all of the immense technical problems of older games like MM3 or Banjo Tooie. If I was that obsessed with playing the "first" version of the games, nothing but the real deal on the original console is going to satisfy.

Instead, I'd rather play those old titles with technical blemishes removed and a package that celebrates the spirit of the games, not an untouched museum.

inner-G

Banned
Damn, really want to play but will wait for the physical version.

Wish it was coming out day and date with the digital, but I have plenty to keep me busy.

Zia

I really wish they would have just removed all the slowdown. The later NES Megaman games, starting with 3, are basically slide-shows at times.

The article linked leans towards the Megaman Collection as the "better" way to repackage old games, but I much prefer the approach Rare Replay took. I don't need 1:1 visual accuracy and all of the immense technical problems of older games like MM3 or Banjo Tooie. If I was that obsessed with playing the "first" version of the games, nothing but the real deal on the original console is going to satisfy.

Instead, I'd rather play those old titles with technical blemishes removed and a package that celebrates the spirit of the games, not an untouched museum.

Well, you have a lot of stuff to play elsewhere then (including inferior Mega Man collections that include the games in this package) because that's the way games have been repackaged (note: not preserved) commercially up until now-- either via ROM dumps (which would be the actual untouched museum pieces) or via weird, hodgepodge packages with inconsistent "upgrades" like Rare Replay that often introduce new issues.

There was literally nobody trying to be the Criterion Collection of games up until this point -- future-proofing old games in thoughtful groupings with amazing menu art and interesting, cohesive extras. I understand that iteration drives video games and up until this point "value" or the name of a series has been the focus of compilations but I'm pretty passionate about this approach.

I think it's important. I'd like the opportunity to boot up Steam in fifteen years and play an untouched, standalone Final Fantasy VI, instead of a mega-collection devoid of context, pocketed with inevitable emulation issues, or a collection of Keita Takahashi's Katamari Damacy games, instead of a new game with a bunch of rehashed levels that has absolutely nothing to do with the original creator, or a copy of Super Street Fighter II Turbo. None of that shit is going to be available to the average person in a decade or so unless someone like Digital Eclipse steps up now and lays the groundwork.

Edit:

I'm more excited at the idea of Digital Eclipse using their NES emulation technology to bring us more 8-bit collections.

I'm right there with you
as someone that doesn't even really like Mega Man all that much
. Much more interested in whatever they have the opportunity to work on after this. I know that their parent company has done work for both Konami and Sega.

Dr Dogg

So when does it get added to EU PSN? In 3 hours?

No idea as the PSN is a fickle beast but Wbacon, Capcom's community rep posted this on the Steam Community Hub a few days ago.

fefHfsn.png

I think I'll wait for the physical version to get cheap, and if I have the drive to play these games in the meantime, look toward my PS2 Anniversary collection.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
exactly. in 1986 no one would have made a game going slower to be "merciful" with the player. you either tune the difficulty in order to not have a difficulty spike or just give zero fucks and have a difficulty spike. the slowdowns were needed and caused by purely technical reasons.
Which makes you wonder why they faked slowdown at all for this collection. It really should be an option in the menu.

Man I wish this was a Vita release, crossbuysave with PS4 would have been beautiful.

VertPin

How can we preorder this on PSN? I can't find the page for it. Also, can I load this up at 9:OO PM PST like most games?

daevv

looking forward to re-playing these again. Mega Man II was my babysitter from 3:30pm to 5:00pm everyday after school for a long time growing up. Shame it's not coming to the Vita.

Peltz

I already have the all 6 NES carts so I'll pass on this. I just stopped by for the sexy sexy art in the OT.

So they'll be using he remastered tracks? Sure I'll bite. It's a shame that Megaman 7-10 never seemed to make it. unless...

I know fan games weren't meant for commercial release, but I wish there was a way Capcom would allow the famicom fan made versions of 7-8, vs SF and Unlimited along with 9-10 for a "Legacy Collection 2" release. Yes, I'm aware Unlimited isn't "canon" but it's a very well done fan game. MM vs. SF was supported by Capcom for a while if I'm not mistaken too.

I suppose part of the charm for Mega Man 7 and 8 would be lost, but having the whole saga done in NES graphics seems more uniform.

Flarin

I already own the PS2 collection, but I might double dip for a 3DS physical version for that on-the-go goodness!

VertPin

So they'll be using he remastered tracks? Sure I'll bite. It's a shame that Megaman 7-10 never seemed to make it. unless...

I know fan games weren't meant for commercial release, but I wish there was a way Capcom would allow the famicom fan made versions of 7-8, vs SF and Unlimited along with 9-10 for a "Legacy Collection 2" release. Yes, I'm aware Unlimited isn't "canon" but it's a very well done fan game. MM vs. SF was supported by Capcom for a while if I'm not mistaken too.

I suppose part of the charm for Mega Man 7 and 8 would be lost, but having the whole saga done in NES graphics seems more uniform.

Source? In the videos I have seen, it's just the 8-bit original OST.

Which makes you wonder why they faked slowdown at all for this collection. It really should be an option in the menu.

The slowdown isn't faked. It's there naturally as part of the process they're using to reproduce the games in their engine. Same with the old glitches, bugs, exploits, etc. None of that's there because they added them, they're there because at this point they are features of the original code base and the point of this project (aside from the monetary one) is game preservation.

VLiberty

3DS version is coming later? fu

maybe it's for the better, I've never been a fan of megaman but playing Ultimate nes remix is making me want to dig more in the 8 bit library, and at the moment this is kinda inviting.

Maybe in 3 months I won't be interested anymore haha

jbug617

Banned
Probably going to buy the XB1 version to play now. Depending on what the retail release contain will get that for PS4.

BONKERS

Isn't Other Ocean a part of that company? That's the team that handled the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 port.

This seems to have been handled with a lot more care, fortunately.

I'd blame Sony more for the quality of that port. They probably gave them a shit budget and a shit schedule to do it.

I'd rather 7 and 8 stay the way they are. Having NES versions as options would be neat though.

Also: 10$ says any bugs and support will be non existent in to the future of this release. As par for Crapcom

HorseFD

It's available right now in Australia for $22.95 on PSN.

I'm holding off for now in case it gets a PS Plus discount.

B_Bech

Beautiful OT for a beautiful series of games. Mega Man isn't dead though, he's just sleeping
forever

Now I know this re-coding is definitely good thing, but I never really had an issue with any of the ports. I grew up on the originals, too. Call me a cynic, but I feel like this is just another way Capcom can sell us the same games again.

Now excuse me while I buy the same games again.

Top Bottom