• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

If I have the digital version and buy the physical version, will my saves and stuff work when I use the physical version?

Well, I'm not sure what system you are talking about, but I have both the 3DS digital and physical version. When I put in the cartridge, it did not have my challenges or anything saved... So no.

playing megaman 3 for the first time after having finished MM2 for the first time ever recently.

Is this game tougher than MM2 or is it just me? Maybe i need to find the metal-man equivalent for MM3 so that i can breeze through it like i did with MM2 but, man, these stages are longer, the enemies more irritating, and almost as a mea culpa for making it harder they've laid out health throughout the stages so that you can keep going.

Sheesh.

At least i beat topman but boy is his power stupid

Yeah, Megaman 3 is generally harder than 2, I would say. There isn't anything as good as the metal blade but Shadow Blade is pretty good.

playing megaman 3 for the first time after having finished MM2 for the first time ever recently.

Is this game tougher than MM2 or is it just me? Maybe i need to find the metal-man equivalent for MM3 so that i can breeze through it like i did with MM2 but, man, these stages are longer, the enemies more irritating, and almost as a mea culpa for making it harder they've laid out health throughout the stages so that you can keep going.

Sheesh.

At least i beat topman but boy is his power stupid

I think MM2 is the easiest of them all, so I'm not surprised you're feeling that way.

eXistor

Mega Man 3 feels so rushed to me. There's an ungodly amount of slowdown in that one, it just feels technically like the worst of the bunch. It would have been nice to have an option to have the flicker and slowdown removed from the games.

I played 3 so much that I just breeze through on muscle memory, I can't even judge its difficulty anymore. Of this package, 1, 2, and 6 are the ones I've played the least.

What's surprising me is just how damned easy 2 and to some extent 1 have been with basically no input lag considering how much trouble I was having with my timing when playing the Complete Works versions on Vita. I'd thought I'd just forgotten the games or something.

I thought that MM1 was considered the hardest.

That probably depends who you ask. MM1 is a lot shorter, but if you don't use the pause trick, the Yellow Devil requires fast reflexes. Also the boss refights can be hard. Also there are those finicky platforms that you can fall through. But MM3 has some tricky platforming and the Doc robot fights are kind of hard if you don't know which weapon to use.

Mega Man 3 feels so rushed to me. There's an ungodly amount of slowdown in that one, it just feels technically like the worst of the bunch. It would have been nice to have an option to have the flicker and slowdown removed from the games.

Yeah, I think I've heard that it was rushed. The Rush Jet is a bit silly to use since you can just steer it any way you want, and I don't really like some of the level design where you are supposed to use rush jet.

leroidys

Yeah, the slowdown in 3 is absolutely atrocious. It's so hard to no-hit the bosses just due to it. And the Wily fight at the end kind of sucks. I've finally come around on 2 > 3.

I do love the slide, protoman, and rush though.

I think MM2 is the easiest of them all, so I'm not surprised you're feeling that way.

MM2 really was pretty easy, especially when i recall how tough MM1 was when i played it years ago.

Yeah, the slowdown in 3 is absolutely atrocious. It's so hard to no-hit the bosses just due to it. And the Wily fight at the end kind of sucks. I've finally come around on 2 > 3.

I do love the slide, protoman, and rush though.

the slowdown is super bad and the stages, while longer than in previous MM games, feel padded, too. I prefer the less-is-more approach of MM2 in this case.

Also, i miss the sweet as hell intro that MM2 had and that game's soundtrack, too.

ahh jeez they brought the yellow devil back in MM3? what the hell is this game?

I can't believe people think that this mega man is one of the best ones. I'm all for mixing things up but too much of this game is filler and rehashed stuff from other games. As someone who really loved MM1 and MM2, MM3 has been a letdown pretty much across the board.

Here's hoping that MM4 doesn't feel as messy as 3 does

ahh jeez they brought the yellow devil back in MM3? what the hell is this game?

I can't believe people think that this mega man is one of the best ones. I'm all for mixing things up but too much of this game is filler and rehashed stuff from other games. As someone who really loved MM1 and MM2, MM3 has been a letdown pretty much across the board.

Here's hoping that MM4 doesn't feel as messy as 3 does

Yeah, they did, but it's not as bad as the first Yellow Devil because you can use E-tanks if you need them.

MM3 is some people's favorite games, I don't really know why. I agree that it feels kind of "messy", and I have heard it was rushed in development.

With that said, I like the rush coil and slide move, plus Proto man fights are fun. I like the Hammer Joes because they're more fun to fight than Sniper Joes. And the 8 regular robot masters and their respective weapons are pretty good, I think.

Negatives are those annoying bee enemies and the parts where you are required to use Rush Jet. I don't think the slowdown was that bad. Also the Doc robot masters (from MM2) are a bit superfluous and it's hard to remember what their weaknesses are. Plus they are bigger than the original bosses and don't have the same patterns as they did in MM2.

In my opinion, it is one of the weaker of the games 1-6 but it is still a decent Megaman game. I think you will enjoy 4-6 more if you like playing classic Megaman.

Hi,

I currently deciding whether to get MMLC on Steam or on my 3DS. I kind of leaning to the latter as I would love some portable but playable Mega Man goodness. Is the 3DS version decent? Does it lose any features from the console versions?

EDIT: I looked up a article breakdown of the 3DS version and see that it has input lag and screen tearing issues. Was this patched amongst the console versions being patched?

Hi,

I currently deciding whether to get MMLC on Steam or on my 3DS. I kind of leaning to the latter as I would love some portable but playable Mega Man goodness. Is the 3DS version decent? Does it lose any features from the console versions?

EDIT: I looked up a article breakdown of the 3DS version and see that it has input lag and screen tearing issues. Was this patched amongst the console versions being patched?

I never noticed input lag or screen tearing on 3DS. It's pretty good. I liked it so much that I bought the collector's edition with the gold Mega amiibo. I think it might not have leaderboards and replays for the challenges, which the other versions might have.

I never noticed input lag or screen tearing on 3DS. It's pretty good. I liked it so much that I bought the collector's edition with the gold Mega amiibo. I think it might not have leaderboards and replays for the challenges, which the other versions might have.

I see. Well I don't care much for replays and leaderboards anyway. Good to know. Thanks.

Ok just bought the collection on ps4 ive only really played / got in to the x series is it recommended to play in order? does it matter? Whats the best one out of the six?

Blues1990

Okay, just bought the collection on PS4. I've only played/got in to the x series. Is it recommended to play in order? Does it matter? What's the best one out of the six?

MM1 had laid the groundwork, but viewing it at an non-subjective, non-objective standpoint, it's the least enjoyable one to play, due to how controlling Mega Man is a lot more slippery than in later games. It's also one of the tougher entries in the Classic series. MM2 took everything about the original, refined it's core mechanics, & really made Mega Man an NES standard. MM3 features great level design, memorable Robot Masters, and one of the greatest gaming soundtracks in the Classic Mega Man series. MM4 is pretty forgettable, but it's by no means bad. MM5 has a lot of memorable levels, and the game is arguably the easiest entry in the Classic series. MM6 is pretty underrated.

TL:DR - It honestly doesn't matter what order you play the games in, as the Classic Mega Man series has a light narrative. Mega Man 3 is a well-rounded package, so play that one.

Ok just bought the collection on ps4 ive only really played / got in to the x series is it recommended to play in order? does it matter? Whats the best one out of the six?

Everyone seems to have their own personal favorite. It doesn't matter if you play in release order, or in whichever order you want. I like 2 and 5 and I feel like they're both pretty forgiving.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just picked this game for $9.99 on the 3DS eShop sale. It's fantastic, I bought it only for the Challenge mode and it's well worth the money. I doubt I'll replay any of the games on their own, I've finished this series so many times - but it is a ton of fun to do "Speedrun" mode/Challenge mode.

Highly recommend for ten bucks just for the challenge mode, and all the neat museum mode. It's fun to look at all those scans and the boxarts are amazing!

bman94

I remember reading about some issues about the collection when it first released. Are those issues resolved or are they still apparent? I was thinking about getting the 3DS version.

jblank83

I remember reading about some issues about the collection when it first released. Are those issues resolved or are they still apparent? I was thinking about getting the 3DS version.

Nothing has changed.

The games are very playable. The frame skipping is there but hard to see, especially in the middle of action, unless you're concentrating on it. It's disappointing but not a deal breaker. At $10 for the 6 classic games, I consider it a good deal.

alf717

The only issue I know of the 3DS version is the one with Mega Man 5 and its weird slow down. It is recommended to play Rockman 5 instead.

jblank83

The only issue I know of the 3DS version is the one with Mega Man 5 and its weird slow down. It is recommended to play Rockman 5 instead.

There's a frame skipping problem. The most obvious example is in the credits in the main menu. Load it up and it'll look horrible.

In game it's not that bad, except for Mega Man 5 as you mentioned. The easiest way to see this is to load up any stage. Stand at the intro screen and just fire your buster cannon. Visually track the shots as they travel across the screen. You'll occasionally see micro-stutters.

Every version of MM Legacy has some sort of technical issue though, not just 3DS.

Is there any mode or anything in the game to make the games easier? Truth be told these games were hard for me as a kid and I've only gotten worse at games since then, but I really like these games.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there any mode or anything in the game to make the games easier? Truth be told these games were hard for me as a kid and I've only gotten worse at games since then, but I really like these games.

You could use save states. That certainly makes the games a lot easier.
Other than that, there's the option to play specific boss fights and with challenge mode you can at least practice some sections.

You could use save states. That certainly makes the games a lot easier.
Other than that, there's the option to play specific boss fights and with challenge mode you can at least practice some sections.

Save states means you can save at any time anywhere, right? So you can just keep doing a section of a level until you get it right?

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Save states means you can save at any time anywhere, right? So you can just keep doing a section of a level until you get it right?

Yes. Save state before a boss or tricky sections. Reload until you get it right.

Also make sure you're following boss weakness patterns.

Use save states whenever you want until you can run through the level. Just consider it practice and don't claim to beat the game until you don't need them.

ThisOne

Sweet mercy, the challenges are annoying in this. I've only got gold on the first few but it was just a huge exercise in frustration.

Got this on Xbox One, the game feels kind of unresponsive. Mega Man 1 especially (although I think I remember that game just feeling like that). I just played MM6 on my NES recently and it didn't seem this bad.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Sweet mercy, the challenges are annoying in this. I've only got gold on the first few but it was just a huge exercise in frustration.

Haha challenges is the reason I bought the game and the only reason I'm playing it. Love them! I wish they were crazier like NES Remix style, but I love it either way. The game should've been called "Mega Man Speedrun Mode", it's a lot of fun trying to improve your time and having that timer on screen.

Game's on sale on XB1 right now for $11 CDN. Very tempted to pick it up. I missed the series in my nes days and hearing that this is virtually a 1:1 port has me very curious.

Brawl96

It's on sale right now on the 3DS eshop, but I heard there's some issues with the digital version compared to physical.... is this still true?

It's on sale right now on the 3DS eshop, but I heard there's some issues with the digital version compared to physical.... is this still true?

I haven't read anything about the digital version having any issues not present in physical edition.

Play Mega Man 5 as Rockman 5 (you can switch to this version in-game) to fix its major performance problems.

Top Bottom