• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

There is no physical version in Europe for 3DS?

As I mentioned above, no physical release at all for any system in Europe, Capcom doesn't care about Mega Man when it comes to Europe - the UK missed out on Mega Man 5 and 6 on the NES back in the day, most of Europe (Germany/France? I think) at least got Mega Man 5. Europe also missed out on MM Starforce 3, and the UK never got Starforce 2 or the Zero Collection (I had to import those from Europe to get Euro copies).

Plus stuff like the last MM collections (both classic and X collections) never made it over here etc. Basically we almost always got the short end of the stick, even Mega Man Soccer got passed over but got a USA release for some strange reason (its not like the sport is popular in Europe or anything!)
Its not all bad though, we did get Mega Man the Wily Wars over here, and Battle and Chase for the Playstation (uh.., yay?)

MegaMan 6 also had some really weird jumping issues where the button press wasn't registering for me on the PS4 version, it didn't happen very often for most of the game, but pretty much dominated Plant Man's stage.

I had the exact same issue at certain points, usually manifesting when I fight Yamato Man. Not sure if that is a new glitch or it might happen on the original game. I definitely feel as if its happened to me several times before playing the PS4 collection for some reason.

It may be my memory failing on me but I put hours and hours unto the Megaman games on the Anniversary Collection for PS2 and I don't remember slowdown being as frequent in that one as it is in the Legacy Collection. I realize the LC's slowdowns emulates the NES' but how does the LC stack up with the AC? Were the slowdowns equal in both and I'm wrong? Or did the AC really had less slowdown than the LC has?

Its been a while since I touched my copy of the Gamecube AC but I think the ports were based on the "Complete Works" Playstation re-releases done in the 90's. I know the AC did have most of the extras that the Complete Works games had (like extra difficulties, navi mode, arranged soundtracks - on PS2 and Xbox etc.). I think the performance at points were also tightened up - so Mega Man 2's "get weapon" demo was much quicker, Mega Man 4 boss health bars fill up way faster.

I really need to do another comparison between the two, my memory is pretty spotty on certain specifics of the AC.

VandalD

yeah, that's how the original games look.

the short version is that starting in mega man 3, the pause menu is handled with a different technique than before, one similar to how the castle with the rising/falling ceiling works in in smb3. it's used a little hesitantly at first but eventually develops into full-screen submenus for mm4 and later.

it looks slick, and is a whole lot faster than the menus in mm1 and 2, but the trade off is that you essentially lose buffer space for horizontal scrolling that the method in the earlier games provided, so some "under the hood" processes of screen-scrolling become visible whereas in the earlier method they would be hidden offscreen relative to the viewer.

(if you're interested in a long version... read about nametable mirroring at nesdev, or ask uncle sporky :B )
I had to re-read that a few times, so I'm not sure I could handle the long version. Thanks for posting that though! It's cool to get a bit of an idea on how they were trying to squeeze results out of the NES, particularly because that was a part of the old games that I never noticed until now because of the border image.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Its been a while since I touched my copy of the Gamecube AC but I think the ports were based on the "Complete Works" Playstation re-releases done in the 90's. I know the AC did have most of the extras that the Complete Works games had (like extra difficulties, navi mode, arranged soundtracks - on PS2 and Xbox etc.). I think the performance at points were also tightened up - so Mega Man 2's "get weapon" demo was much quicker, Mega Man 4 boss health bars fill up way faster.

I really need to do another comparison between the two, my memory is pretty spotty on certain specifics of the AC.

I'm pretty sure the 8/16-bit games in MMAC/MMXC are emulated with streamed music and other overlays, not ports.

I'm pretty sure the 8/16-bit games in MMAC/MMXC are emulated with streamed music and other overlays, not ports.

Could well be the case, its been so long since I've booted up the old AC collection my memory is fairly foggy in that regard.

My 3DS copy hasn't arrived yet, but I read this on Protodude's website regarding getting Mega Man 5 running better:
http://www.rockman-corner.com/2016/02/a-quick-fix-for-mega-man-5-s-mmlc.html

Basically for some reason if you change the game from Mega Man 5 to Rockman 5 in the options menu it seems to run better. Can anyone here confirm this? Seems like a completely bizarre "fix" if true.

Secret Owl

Neo Member
Got the 3DS version, haven't noticed any slowdown or hiccups that weren't a part of the original NES experience yet. What, specifically, is supposed to be wrong with the 3DS version?

Robin64

What's amusing is that scanning Megaman into Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Kart 8, or Super Mario Maker, the unlock is permanent. Capcom treating Megaman worse than Nintendo confirmed.

Could well be the case, its been so long since I've booted up the old AC collection my memory is fairly foggy in that regard.

My 3DS copy hasn't arrived yet, but I read this on Protodude's website regarding getting Mega Man 5 running better:
http://www.rockman-corner.com/2016/02/a-quick-fix-for-mega-man-5-s-mmlc.html

Basically for some reason if you change the game from Mega Man 5 to Rockman 5 in the options menu it seems to run better. Can anyone here confirm this? Seems like a completely bizarre "fix" if true.

Load up Mega Man 5.

I played all the way through Megaman 5. So it was not unbearable. It does chug along more noticeably than the others do. There was a Power Muscler that gave me some trouble in one of the stages. I don't know if that was due to the frame rate, or what, but I think you're just supposed to slide under him. I only tried Rockman 5 for a little bit, but I thought it was pretty much the same. I'll try it again later today.

OmegaFax

Is there any other exclusive content the 3DS version has other than the amiibo function?

There's some extra scans of Japanese instructions and box art for all regions. The text for some of the entries is a little more specific vs. the PS4 and Xbox One release

3DS has no leaderboards and replays, right?

Leaderboards. Nope. Replays ... yes, locally. I guess for personal reference.

What's amusing is that scanning Megaman into Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Kart 8, or Super Mario Maker, the unlock is permanent. Capcom treating Megaman worse than Nintendo confirmed.

Once you scan the amiibo it stays unlocked until you restart the game.

Bah.

I was planning on just scanning my friend's Amiibo as I don't have a reader for my 3DS XL.

I really, really hate Amiibo-locked content.

Does Shovel Knight require an the SK amiibo more than once to unlock Amiibo exclusive challenges?

In any case, wasn't expecting to need the Mega Man amiibo every single time I wanted to unlock these extra challenges. There's plenty of reasons why people may not want the collector's edition or a physical copy ... or can find a Mega Man amiibo locally or have a New 3DS ... Not handy for a quick session. Probably won't play these extra challenges a whole lot.

How is the PS4 version?

Been hearing the game has issues, and I have the PS2 Megaman and X collections already. Don't really want to hook up my PS2 or use a PS2 controller though

How is the PS4 version?

Been hearing the game has issues, and I have the PS2 Megaman and X collections already. Don't really want to hook up my PS2 or use a PS2 controller though

I had no issues playing the games and thought they were decent ports. I swear I had some minor input lag at odd points in Mega Man 6 though (only about 3 times in my entire playthrough though, so its not frequent at all). It does have sound issues on startup occasionally though, so you'll have to reset the darn game to get the sound back to normal again. Its a decent substitute in my opinion, but I'd say its about on par with the PS2 collection. Both have their own sets of issues.

I just did some testing in Mega Man/Rockman 5. It seems that the English version has slightly worse smoothness and Rockman runs smoother. I played three stages and it was honestly hard to tell. I'd be curious to know if anybody else can notice it.

(Playing on a 3ds XL)

Also I wish the music player would just play through all the songs continually. As it is, you have to change songs manually, and they only last 1-2 minutes on average.

For some good news with the 3DS version:

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2016/02/ten-minutes-of-mega-man-legacy.html

Turns out you can select the Japanese versions by changing regions in the game's menus. Nice!

Does anyone have had the PS4 retail version (or imported download) to see if all three versions of the game share the same trophy list?

Ok, just to update you on this (my Amazon order turned up today).

I've 100%ed the digital Euro version of this game on the PS4 and gave the physical PS4 version a quick try. It shares the exact same trophy list unfortunately (I was hoping i could double up the trophies).

I beat Megaman 3 this morning, so the only one left to play is 4. I'll probably replay these fairly often; the auto fire really makes them more fun for me.

Anyway Top spin is kind of weird; sometimes it drains a bunch of my weapon energy in a single hit. Also those freaking bees that swarm around you are really annoying. If there was a shield weapon in 3 it would be useful.

3 introduced the slide, Rush, and Protoman, so I guess it deserves credit for that, but it might be my least favourite of 1-6. Doc Needles stage where you have to use Rush jet is not really a fun section. Also Doc Robot fights mimic the Megaman 2 robots in odd ways. The Docs are best dealt with quickly because they do a lot of damage.

I like Snake Man's stage the best in 3. Also the return of Yellow Devil was cool, but I couldn't figure out how to get the quick kill on it; probably the best boss in the game.

aett

After playing through MM1, I've just been doing challenges. It's weird, though: sometimes I do what feels like an excellent run with no deaths and I'll get the bronze award, but then on other challenges I'll die a couple of times and be overall sort of sloppy, but get the gold award.

I beat Megaman 3 this morning, so the only one left to play is 4. I'll probably replay these fairly often; the auto fire really makes them more fun for me.

Anyway Top spin is kind of weird; sometimes it drains a bunch of my weapon energy in a single hit. Also those freaking bees that swarm around you are really annoying. If there was a shield weapon in 3 it would be useful.

3 introduced the slide, Rush, and Protoman, so I guess it deserves credit for that, but it might be my least favourite of 1-6. Doc Needles stage where you have to use Rush jet is not really a fun section. Also Doc Robot fights mimic the Megaman 2 robots in odd ways. The Docs are best dealt with quickly because they do a lot of damage.

I like Snake Man's stage the best in 3. Also the return of Yellow Devil was cool, but I couldn't figure out how to get the quick kill on it; probably the best boss in the game.

After playing through MM1, I've just been doing challenges. It's weird, though: sometimes I do what feels like an excellent run with no deaths and I'll get the bronze award, but then on other challenges I'll die a couple of times and be overall sort of sloppy, but get the gold award.

The bees have an easy exploit, once used you'll never fear them again - when the big bee shows up, walk to the left as he is dropping his hive thing that unleash the smaller bees. The bees will disappear off screen and the big bee won't respawn as long as you don't walk to far to the right. Problem solved!

Regarding challenges, if you need any visual tips you can check out the leaderboards for peoples runs on the challenges, or just check out my video walkthrough for each challenge ;) :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdzACHRGQOKwTzmqrxxx8bw

Its a bit of trial and error figuring out the best way through, but once you know which weapons 1 hit KO enemies and the fastest ways through areas the challenges aren't too tough, bar maybe some of the boss challenges.

Don't forget, use the rapid fire button to beat certain bosses like Yellow Devil 2 really, really quickly. Also, for Mega Man 1 boss challenges don't forget to abuse the select/pause trick to inflict extra damage with the elec beam. I believe you have to use this technique in order to get a gold rank on the first Yellow Devil challenge.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
My Amazon exclusive Mega Man Legacy Collection Statue & E-Tank Special Edition just arrived! Here's my full gallery of pics and commentary.

kaw4FkC.jpg
7Uizrkm.jpg
6orgG6W.jpg

sAfpU6s.jpg
iIc7UCP.jpg
6gRTcKg.jpg

I'm really happy I nabbed this when it was up! Apparently there were only 2015 made if the box is to be believed. They didn't just take the 20th anniversary statue and dump it into a box--they actually remolded the feet to make it smooth rather than keep the peg holes for the ugly base the original came with. I really like the inclusion of the E-Tank, and the light up works perfectly fine and is pretty bright!

Funny thing is that they actually have a website FAQ for this limited statue because of how the charging works.

Ok, just to update you on this (my Amazon order turned up today).

I've 100%ed the digital Euro version of this game on the PS4 and gave the physical PS4 version a quick try. It shares the exact same trophy list unfortunately (I was hoping i could double up the trophies).

Thanks for the heads up! Now, all we need is someone with the Japanese PSN version...

My Amazon exclusive Mega Man Legacy Collection Statue & E-Tank Special Edition just arrived! Here's my full gallery of pics and commentary.

I'm really happy I nabbed this when it was up! Apparently there were only 2015 made if the box is to be believed. They didn't just take the 20th anniversary statue and dump it into a box--they actually remolded the feet to make it smooth rather than keep the peg holes for the ugly base the original came with. I really like the inclusion of the E-Tank, and the light up works perfectly fine and is pretty bright!

Funny thing is that they actually have a website FAQ for this limited statue because of how the charging works.

Shit! I didn't think it was anything different from the 20th anniversary version...

It looks awesome, my friend!

EDIT: Crap, double post - sorry

Thanks for the heads up! Now, all we need is someone with the Japanese PSN version...

Leave that to me. Assuming its already out I'll nab it and give it a try (anything for Mega Man!)

Those pics are excellent, thanks for posting them :) Out of interest, did the statue and E tank come packaged separately to the PS4 game, or did everything come packaged in one big box?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Shit! I didn't think it was anything different from the 20th anniversary version...

It looks awesome, my friend!

I was surprised too! I figured they'd just repackage the older statue.

Those pics are excellent, thanks for posting them :) Out of interest, did the statue and E tank come packaged separately to the PS4 game, or did everything come packaged in one big box?

The packaging is pretty nifty: The Capcom shipping box is inside a bigger Amazon box. Inside THAT box there's the PS4 game surrounded by some foam and the statue box on the bottom. Inside the statue box is the E-Tank, the statue and the charger.

The bees have an easy exploit, once used you'll never fear them again - when the big bee shows up, walk to the left as he is dropping his hive thing that unleash the smaller bees. The bees will disappear off screen and the big bee won't respawn as long as you don't walk to far to the right. Problem solved!

Don't forget, use the rapid fire button to beat certain bosses like Yellow Devil 2 really, really quickly. Also, for Mega Man 1 boss challenges don't forget to abuse the select/pause trick to inflict extra damage with the elec beam. I believe you have to use this technique in order to get a gold rank on the first Yellow Devil challenge.

I knew about the trick to scroll the bees off screen... but sometimes they are hard to avoid especially in one of the Wily stages.

So, what weapon are you saying you use against Yellow Devil 2? I know he is weak to the Hard knuckle; that's what I've had success with.

Yesterday I got a game over in MM1 and I didn't want to Continue. I wanted to choose Stage Select which was the option below which I couldn't choose when I tried and then it hit me.

The freaking Select Button. But what's that on a Dualshock 4? L1... yeah that's super intuitive. Push L1 to select the option below.

Would it have killed Capcom to change the code so pushing DOWN makes the cursor go DOWN like every videogame from 1991 forwards?

Also FUCK unpausing the game while in a ladder in MM1. You'll drop to your death if you're not expecting it and push up to grab onto. Such a stupid bad design they couldn't fix?

I knew about the trick to scroll the bees off screen... but sometimes they are hard to avoid especially in one of the Wily stages.

So, what weapon are you saying you use against Yellow Devil 2? I know he is weak to the Hard knuckle; that's what I've had success with.

For Yellow Devil II you can use either the Hard Knuckle or Shadow Blade. If your going for gold on the challenge mode you need to use the Shadow Blade and use the rapid fire button to hit him quickly multiple times before he changes sides. Just aim the Shadow Blade diagonally and hold down the rapid fire button and he'll be down in virtually no time. Its possible to beat him really quickly before he even has a chance to change sides by standing right under him and spamming the Shadow Blade. I could never get that method to work properly though.

Andrefpvs

Also FUCK unpausing the game while in a ladder in MM1. You'll drop to your death of you're not expecting it and push up to grab onto. Such a stupid bad design they couldn't fix?

Ahah, I know what you mean! I've been playing this game for 2 decades now, and I still forget about that all the time :)

wilflare

I can't believe I missed this :(
would have been a fantastic surprise for my younger brother

For Yellow Devil II you can use either the Hard Knuckle or Shadow Blade. If your going for gold on the challenge mode you need to use the Shadow Blade and use the rapid fire button to hit him quickly multiple times before he changes sides. Just aim the Shadow Blade diagonally and hold down the rapid fire button and he'll be down in virtually no time. Its possible to beat him really quickly before he even has a chance to change sides by standing right under him and spamming the Shadow Blade. I could never get that method to work properly though.

Yeah, I thought I saw someone standing right under him and shooting the Shadow Blade up. I tried it and just got killed that way. Also, I saw someone use Search snake on Wily's second form, I think, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and just used Hard knuckles.

Saikyo

I get the ladder thing but being able to push down and make cursor go down is too much to ask? How many people would realize that it's L1, of all things, the one that moves the cursor!?

Its more of a problem because the DS4 doesnt have the select button, nice that you can change to other button.

Reprogramming to down you can have more bugs, you are changing the game and then a new complain of "up" not working, not worth...

Its more of a problem because the DS4 doesnt have the select button, nice that you can change to other button.

Reprogramming to down you can have more bugs, you are changing the game and then a new complain of "up" not working, not worth...

It's not on the DS4. On Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers (on PC) it still defaults to the Left Bumper while "Back" or "whatever its called on X1" brings up the game menu just as the touch pad does on the DS4.

Yeah, I thought I saw someone standing right under him and shooting the Shadow Blade up. I tried it and just got killed that way. Also, I saw someone use Search snake on Wily's second form, I think, but I couldn't figure out how to do it and just used Hard knuckles.

Its just a case of getting very close to Wily when using the search snakes. I've always used them against his final form.
Its also possible to use the top spin on his final form to KO him in one hit, but again I can't get the timing down to do that.

Darcotik

Banned
No physical release = too bad, I'll cogitate what I'm going to do.
No physical release just in Europe = keep your games morons, this one for sure, but the few next as well.

Saikyo

It's not on the DS4. On Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers (on PC) it still defaults to the Left Bumper while "Back" or "whatever its called on X1" brings up the game menu just as the touch pad does on the DS4.

Fine, its a stupid default on xbone and pc but hey its Other Ocean...

Its just a case of getting very close to Wily when using the search snakes. I've always used them against his final form.
Its also possible to use the top spin on his final form to KO him in one hit, but again I can't get the timing down to do that.

I wasn't actually talking about the final boss. I was talking about the level before that; Wily Machine 3.

Ah ok. Yeah, I use Hard Knuckles on that one when not doing buster runs. It does decent damage and you can stay far away from Wily's machine while you attack him!

I tried to use Search snake on that boss, but it didn't work out, so yeah - I used Hard Knuckles.

I've also found that you can stand on Rush jet and shoot him (he's kind of high up), but that doesn't do as much damage.

Anyway, the 3DS collector's edition is selling for $65 on Amazon. I wish I could have got it when it was $50.

I tried to use Search snake on that boss, but it didn't work out, so yeah - I used Hard Knuckles.

I've also found that you can stand on Rush jet and shoot him (he's kind of high up), but that doesn't do as much damage.

Anyway, the 3DS collector's edition is selling for $65 on Amazon. I wish I could have got it when it was $50.

I always used Rush Jet for phase 2 of the battle. Not the most damaging, but its easy to hit Wily and it gives you greater manoeuvrability in that fight to easily dodge attacks.

fantastic!

thanks the impressions man! (^_____^)

Bog

Junior Ace

Mine came in today, too, sans game. I guess there was some issue shipping the game with the statue, so they just reimbursed me $30 for the game and told me to buy it separately. Combine that with the 40% off Prime double dip and I got a $50 Mega Man statue. Score.

Top Bottom