• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

jblank83

Do all the Famicom versions run smoothly? No judder whatsoever?

You mean the actual games on actual hardware? They run fine. They have slowdown when there are too many sprites on screen, as do all NES games. The jitter judder frameskipping in the 3DS Legacy Collection isn't just slowdown though.

VandalD

Spent some time with the 3DS version and overall, I'm happy with it. The games don't run perfectly (there's definitely some stuttering) but none of it affects gameplay....

....except in the case of Mega Man V. The performance here is pretty awful. Like, I'm surprised at how bad it is. Fortunately, like has been reported elsewhere, switching to Rockman 5 fixes these issues. Why....I have no idea. Seems like a really weird problem to have, but it least switching to the Famicom version makes the game enjoyable. Having the Japanese versions is a very nice touch, especially when it makes one of the games actually run properly.
Tried this myself on 3DS. It's very strange. I played through Charge Man in both versions, and MM5 is very much inferior to RM5. MM5 has frame skips all over the place, and it makes bits of the background blur into a mess every few seconds. I played a little of Star Man's stage too, and the meteors right at the beginning are obviously a lot smoother in RM5. Guess I'll be sticking with Rockman Legacy Collection.

Also, what's up with the weird vertical black line on the left side that happens in 3, 4, 5 and 6?
WVW69i7m7HUsiZo5AN

It's not in 1 or 2.
WVW69i7m_YMYslY5r7

I haven't played the original NES versions in a very long time, so that could actually be part of the games, but it looks really off. Guess that means I'll turn the borders off.

Saikyo

Seeing how the 3DS has more extras and the "rockman" versions dont have the judder it seems they asked to work more on the japanese 3ds release and the other are simply "extra money" than to make a real effort and patch it.

Feeroper

Does the 3DS physical release come with the Robot Masters cheat sheet like the XB1 & PS4 version do?

for anyone who has a physical release, what does it look like? Is it decent looking?

I have this game digitally from PSN since last year when it came out, but am considering the 3DS version now to have it on the go as I love the MM games, but didn't get the VC versions. I was hoping that all the physical releases would have the same physical extras (outside of the collectors edition), but I notice the Robot masters sheet sheet is absent on most descriptions for the 3DS version (I assume due to the limited size of the 3DS case).

Does the 3DS physical release come with the Robot Masters cheat sheet like the XB1 & PS4 version do?

for anyone who has a physical release, what does it look like? Is it decent looking?

I have this game digitally from PSN since last year when it came out, but am considering the 3DS version now to have it on the go as I love the MM games, but didn't get the VC versions. I was hoping that all the physical releases would have the same physical extras (outside of the collectors edition), but I notice the Robot masters sheet sheet is absent on most descriptions for the 3DS version (I assume due to the limited size of the 3DS case).

No cheat sheet

You get custom 3ds themes instead :)

Weevilone

I've been digging through the thread but can't find some information. What makes the X1 version better than PS4? Thanks.. Can go either way and will likely nab one discounted.

fernoca

I'm really enjoying this on 3DS. And darn they look so sharp and colorful too. My favorites are 4 through 6.

The themes are great Added the one with the robots on top to the rotation.

The postcards and stickers are nice, but left them on their bags. Left the gold amiibo on the box since I alreacy have an open Mega Man amiibo.

Great package overall and that it turned out that there are both versions of the game making for a total of 12 games make it even better.

I'm really enjoying this on 3DS. And darn they look so sharp and colorful too. My favorites are 4 through 6.

The themes are great Added the one with the robots on top to the rotation.

The postcards and stickers are nice, but left them on their bags. Left the gold amiibo on the box since I alreacy have an open Mega Man amiibo.

Great package overall and that it turned out that there are both versions of the game making for a total of 12 games make it even better.

The 3DS collectors edition is fantastic. I didn't mind spending the extra cash one bit, and finding out that Rockman 1-6 have been included as well is just icing on the cake.

A little bummed about the robot cheat sheet, but I'll live.

Glix

The 3DS collectors edition is fantastic. I didn't mind spending the extra cash one bit, and finding out that Rockman 1-6 have been included as well is just icing on the cake.

A little bummed about the robot cheet sheet, but I'll live.

I got a physical non-collectors edition (I have a normal mega man amiibo already). Its a nice little package. I had no plans to get it but it was on the shelf and gamestop the other day and I decided to go for it even tho i heard some bad things about it on other platforms.

3DS version is pretty good. I played through most of the challenges, but I got to the buster only boss ones and couldn't beat Elec Man.

So far I played all of Megaman 5 and all the robot masters in number 2.

Chairhome

Beat Rockman 1, the ending was still in English. Was it like that in the Famicom version?
I used the save state function more than I wanted to. :/
On to 2

leroidys

Beat Rockman 1, the ending was still in English. Was it like that in the Famicom version?
I used the save state function more than I wanted to. :/
On to 2

A lot of Japanese Famicom games have English text. IIRC, Japanese text wasn't even possible (text, as opposed to images) until the FDS launched.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yellow Devil is the only real BS part of MM1. I have no shame, pause trick him every time because fuck it, i'm not replaying a whole stage because of some bullshit

Good thing the fight is one of the challenges, so you can practise it. It's just a matter of learning the pattern. Or, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, you could use save states.

Or you know....you can learn the pattern, it's not hard.

Pause trick, SM fucking h

it's easy to say that in the world of save states and the challenges included in the MMLC but I didn't have time to replay a whole stage just to get crushed by a boss and then rinse repeat.

Plus, it's like the only stupid difficulty spike in the whole game. The rest of the game was a tough but fair, then the Yellow Devil happens and it's like fuck.

sharc

Neo Member
Tried this myself on 3DS. It's very strange. I played through Charge Man in both versions, and MM5 is very much inferior to RM5. MM5 has frame skips all over the place, and it makes bits of the background blur into a mess every few seconds. I played a little of Star Man's stage too, and the meteors right at the beginning are obviously a lot smoother in RM5. Guess I'll be sticking with Rockman Legacy Collection.

Also, what's up with the weird vertical black line on the left side that happens in 3, 4, 5 and 6?
WVW69i7m7HUsiZo5AN

It's not in 1 or 2.
WVW69i7m_YMYslY5r7

I haven't played the original NES versions in a very long time, so that could actually be part of the games, but it looks really off. Guess that means I'll turn the borders off.

yeah, that's how the original games look.

the short version is that starting in mega man 3, the pause menu is handled with a different technique than before, one similar to how the castle with the rising/falling ceiling works in in smb3. it's used a little hesitantly at first but eventually develops into full-screen submenus for mm4 and later.

it looks slick, and is a whole lot faster than the menus in mm1 and 2, but the trade off is that you essentially lose buffer space for horizontal scrolling that the method in the earlier games provided, so some "under the hood" processes of screen-scrolling become visible whereas in the earlier method they would be hidden offscreen relative to the viewer.

(if you're interested in a long version... read about nametable mirroring at nesdev, or ask uncle sporky :B )

3DS version is pretty good. I played through most of the challenges, but I got to the buster only boss ones and couldn't beat Elec Man.

So far I played all of Megaman 5 and all the robot masters in number 2.

Elec Man with P buster is much easier than you might think.

If you can (I don't know if this feature is available) watch the top leaderboard entries' replays. At the very beginning of the fight, if you time your shot just right you can lock Elec Man into a cycle of him trying to run to you to shoot his lightning. If you keep a steady timing you just hit him over and over again as he runs back toward you.

Elec Man with P buster is much easier than you might think.

If you can (I don't know if this feature is available) watch the top leaderboard entries' replays. At the very beginning of the fight, if you time your shot just right you can lock Elec Man into a cycle of him trying to run to you to shoot his lightning. If you keep a steady timing you just hit him over and over again as he runs back toward you.

They don't have leaderboards or replays on 3ds. I figured there was some trick to it. I couldn't beat Crash man or Shadow man either. Buster only is really hard and I prefer to use special weapons.

magnetic

I had no idea I would enjoy the classic games as much as I do. I'm honestly very surprised how playable and fun they are - I only played 2 back in the day and always thought the later ones would just be cheap cash ins, running out of ideas with stuff like Tomahawk man, but they are all really brilliant so far.

I especially like the smaller enemies and how many of them have their own patterns. Each new enemy has the potential to trip you up the first time you encounter them, like the ones that pole jump over you and then run in the opposite direction, or the snake heads that telegraph their attacks by blinking.

Super happy I got this for just 15€ on 3DS. I would never bought them piece by piece from the eshop, because I thought the later games were not as good, but seems I was wrong.

Oh, and the truckload of challenges, save states, autofire (thank god!) and the many extras makes this a very satisfying package, technical hiccups aside (that honestly don't bother that much, though I can understand the frustration some seem to have with it).

They don't have leaderboards or replays on 3ds. I figured there was some trick to it. I couldn't beat Crash man or Shadow man either. Buster only is really hard and I prefer to use special weapons.

You just need to stand next to Elec Man and time your shots right, you can basically get him stuck into a certain routine so he will always try walking toward you, and then you just shoot him again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL3-27DjsZk

Skip to 1:25 for the Elec Man fight. I've got uploaded vids of all the challenges if your curious as to how to beat the other bosses with buster only. Shadow Man is a pain in the ass though, he still seems really random to me, so its hard to tell if he'll slide or use his Shadow Blade. If I could get his pattern down 100% he'd be no problem (well, in theory he'd be no problem).

Weevilone

Sigh.. My 3DS version has disappeared into UPS Mail Innovations hell. It can't even be tracked somehow. It should have been here on launch day.

G-Fex

it's easy to say that in the world of save states and the challenges included in the MMLC but I didn't have time to replay a whole stage just to get crushed by a boss and then rinse repeat.

Plus, it's like the only stupid difficulty spike in the whole game. The rest of the game was a tough but fair, then the Yellow Devil happens and it's like fuck.

I'm just kidding anyways (I'm not seriously angry) it's understandable, I say savestates are more than allowed to learn the pattern. There is no cheating in learning the pattern. Plus I speedrun mega man 1. I'd say watch a video too to learn the pattern, then once getting it down it's easy and makes the only difficulty spike in the game be either copy robot or boss refights.

alf717

Sigh.. My 3DS version has disappeared into UPS Mail Innovations hell. It can't even be tracked somehow. It should have been here on launch day.

That sucks. My Amazon order still hasn't shipped. Amazon free shipping is taped to a turtle's back shipping. Its going back if my box is all jacked up anyway.

mjc

I was at Target and saw a copy of the 3DS CE...so I grabbed it. I never really played the originals, (got introduced through X) Is the 3DS port of this solid? Should I consider returning this if the digital $15 version is the same?

I was at Target and saw a copy of the 3DS CE...so I grabbed it. I never really played the originals, (got introduced through X) Is the 3DS port of this solid? Should I consider returning this if the digital $15 version is the same?

The digital version is the same, except the amiibo unlocks bonus challenges if you have a new 3ds or an nfc reader. It's a pretty solid port. There is some slowdown in the games, but at least some of that was present in the original. They're also old school games and generally require you to know an enemy's weakness in order to beat it.

On 3ds, from my experience, the only game that doesn't run as smoothly as the others is Megaman 5. It's not too bad though; it didn't stop me from playing through the whole game.

So it's still confirmed that Europe won't get physical releases?

Unfortunately yes. We only got the digital release of the game. I'm still waiting for my import copies to arrive, not quite sure how I'll play the 3DS port yet with my Euro 3DS (hopefully I can get the region free exploit working if its not been patched yet).

Then i'll have to choose between PS4 and 3DS, from what i read 3DS seems to be better deal (jp versions included, less glitches)?

PS4 has audio glitches, 3DS has that scrolling issue and tearing (though not having the 3DS version in hand, I can't comment how noticeable that is). Plus PS4 is region free as standard, you need to jump through a few hoops to hack your 3DS to play other region games which is a bit of a pain.
Plus the 3DS version has a set of exclusive challenge mode levels unlocked with a MM Amiibo, quite looking forward to giving those a go myself.
PS4 on the other hand has the sharing functionality and the playback feature on leaderboards where you can view other peoples runs for tips/tricks to improve your own run on challenge mode. That was a feature that helped me on many occasions shaving a few seconds off my time here and there.

PS4 has audio glitches, 3DS has that scrolling issue and tearing (though not having the 3DS version in hand, I can't comment how noticeable that is). Plus PS4 is region free as standard, you need to jump through a few hoops to hack your 3DS to play other region games which is a bit of a pain.
Plus the 3DS version has a set of exclusive challenge mode levels unlocked with a MM Amiibo, quite looking forward to giving those a go myself.
PS4 on the other hand has the sharing functionality and the playback feature on leaderboards where you can view other peoples runs for tips/tricks to improve your own run on challenge mode. That was a feature that helped me on many occasions shaving a few seconds off my time here and there.

thx!

shame that they couldn't get the games 100% right on all these modern consoles, i'm no programmer but i doubt that would be really hard to do

think i'll go for the 3DS

thx!

shame that they couldn't get the games 100% right on all these modern consoles, i'm no programmer but i doubt that would be really hard to do

think i'll go for the 3DS

MegaMan 6 also had some really weird jumping issues where the button press wasn't registering for me on the PS4 version, it didn't happen very often for most of the game, but pretty much dominated Plant Man's stage.

It may be my memory failing on me but I put hours and hours unto the Megaman games on the Anniversary Collection for PS2 and I don't remember slowdown being as frequent in that one as it is in the Legacy Collection. I realize the LC's slowdowns emulates the NES' but how does the LC stack up with the AC? Were the slowdowns equal in both and I'm wrong? Or did the AC really had less slowdown than the LC has?

Top Bottom