• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

The original PR said it would come with a CD. Didn't realize that had changed.

I'm thinking Capcom really put the legwork on DE and had a very minimal effort/influence.
I imagine even convincing them to do a physical print run was an effort unto itself, hence taking so long and with very little added. I think the 3DS wait excuse was BS and they were just dragging their feat.
As Frank said, they can't even be bothered to pay for a patch on their own company mascot's game.

I'm sad but at least happy that we got this much. I REALLY don't think we'll see further collections of VII, VIII, IX and X tho :(

I played a bit of the digital version tonight on PS4 and man, I got some crazy sound issues in Mega Man 3, mainly in the Robot Master menu screen. Like, completely garbled, crackly, nasty sound issues that I almost thought damaged my speakers, it was so loud. Shit that shouldn't have ever been in the game at release. I can't believe this is never getting patched and is now sitting on store shelves in this state. Fucking shameful.

Just want to point out that when people are factoring in the costs of stickers, song downloads, and 3DS themes to the collector's edition price, you shouldn't be. These are standard extras that everyone that buys a physical copy of Legacy Collection on 3DS will get in the case. The $20 more is for 6 postcards and a gold spraypainted amiibo that is identical to the already existing Megaman amiibo. Except the unboxing video shows it comes in a plain white amiibo box with no artwork or label.

fernoca

Just want to point out that when people are factoring in the costs of stickers, song downloads, and 3DS themes to the collector's edition price, you shouldn't be. These are standard extras that everyone that buys a physical copy of Legacy Collection on 3DS will get in the case. The $20 more is for 6 postcards and a gold spraypainted amiibo that is identical to the already existing Megaman amiibo. Except the unboxing video shows it comes in a plain white amiibo box with no artwork or label.
Nive. Wasn't aware of that bit.
So $30 + $13 + $6 + $1 (for the box that hds everything). :p

But was just pointing out that the CE is not a $15 game with a $35 amiibo, since all retail versions cost $30.

Mine should be here in 12 hours...hopefully. Is like they all coordinated: Project X Xone 2 was delivered monday, FE Fates SE on Tuesday, this one on Wednesday...

BONKERS

Ahahah Capcom... you do good with the likes of DD and RE0HD and then this recurring disaster of OG Mega Man ports.

And it's not the first time, MMLC just like MMAC are just piss poor efforts that these games are undeserving of.

Worst of all, the best ports never got a release here. And your only option is to either import expensively or deal with the input lag from the emulation of the PS1 versions from the PSN.

They didn't even get the Palette correct.
https://imgur.com/a/F0Gn1 Which even the over darkened VC versions got right.
I don't want to say this is DE's fault even though this is the 3rd time they've handled OG MM and not gotten it completely right. Capcom's greed and laziness HAS to play a part. Which it seems to based on above comments.

I'm frustrated DE was unable to complete the work by release (and also keep in mind that we don't know whether their post release work resolved all the issues) but why would DE need to ask Capcom? Capcom paid for some work, DE has at this point assumedly met the requirements laid by the contract. Now it's up to Capcom to decide whether it's worth their time and money to push out a patch. The game reviewed reasonably well and if they're not seeing the money then they might feel it's a better value to leave the product as is.

Because they keep shooting themselves in the foot.
Another great example is RE5 on PC. They completely screwed the pooch on that one, not only by asking for MORE money for 5+ year old DLC than on the consoles. But by creating new bugs and breaking more things from the original GFWL versions and leaving them as is. If the old version wasn't available in a beta branch or whatever. I'd be pretty livid.

Robin64

In regards to the palette, there isn't really a "correct" NES palette like with later consoles. It didn't have strict colour values, that's why emulators always give a bunch of options.

DE based their palette choice on "a color-calibrated Sony PVM monitor, as it was a contemporary pro standard for viewing and editing."

It's not wrong, it's just different.

Sitting here with a sealed copy of the PS4 version.
I decided to get the XB1 version because I was told that It was the best one.

Getting terrible input lag. The shitty XB1 dpad isn't helping either.

Does the PS4 version at least control better than this? I can maybe excuse some sound issues if there's a work around.

Does the PS4 version at least control better than this? I can maybe excuse some sound issues if there's a work around.
As far as I'm concerned the PS4 sports the absolute and undisputed GOAT of Dpads as well as superior positioning (SNES style) especially for Dpad centric 2D games like Megaman instead of the lower XB1 dpad placement.

So yes. The PS4 version of Megaman does control best on a Dualshock 4.

BONKERS

In regards to the palette, there isn't really a "correct" NES palette like with later consoles. It didn't have strict colour values, that's why emulators always give a bunch of options.

DE based their palette choice on "a color-calibrated Sony PVM monitor, as it was a contemporary pro standard for viewing and editing."

It's not wrong, it's just different.
While it's not factually completely wrong, the system does output a pre-determined color palette in hardware over RF and Composite video.
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PPU_palettes
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55709
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1148208#p1148208

MM2 on composite video from real hardware
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvkHhpz2FrY&feature=youtu.be&t=1361
MM2 on a commonly used "natural palette in emulators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlJFpsV0bhM&feature=youtu.be&t=1581

And now that i've actually looked, I am wrong
I've got the PS1 version in 240p on a somewhat calibrated CRT loaded up right next to me over Component video and the color palette matches DE's Palette. (Reds skew towards to a shade of red similar to http://colors.findthedata.com/l/729/Folly)
So I apologize for that.

Sorry. >_>

I guess the DS4 has a better d-pad.

I own and have played both versions extensively and they both felt exactly the same to me.

At the end of the day, all versions have plenty of issues. The XB1 version is just the "least bad" of them.

Ventara

My 3DS copy should be coming in today. Should I return it with all these problems I'm reading about? I've never played any of these Megaman games, so I thought this would be a nice collection to pick.

jblank83

I just played 3 levels in Mega Man 5 and it's not bad. It's totally playable.

The graphics are really crisp. I also like autofire. It's very useful!

Just beat 2 without a single noticeable issue. All in all, I think it's a great collection! Love all the museum stuff, especially the full Japanese manuals.

The games also look absolutely perfect. This is how I wanted VC releases to look, Nintendo! Not the ugly stretched out faded yuckfests we got!

I bit the bullet and bought the eShop version, so I'll throw my thoughts in here as well.

So far I don't see any constant Bloodborne style frame skipping. I'm eyeballing this by tracking small moving sprites, like buster shots as they travel across the screen. On static screens they move completely smooth, which to me says the game is rendering fine on a base level. Nor have I seen any screen tearing during gameplay.

What I do see is occasional slowdown that causes some frame skips. I think the most obvious example is on a stage load screen. I also do see the terrible skip/tearing on the credits screen, which is far worse than anything I've seen in actual gameplay.

As for input latency, if there's any it's minor and difficult to discern. For my part I felt it played well. Nor did I find any audio bugs, although I've only played a couple of stages of MM1 and a couple of stages of MM2.

I'm not a Mega Man expert. I've played the series off and on since the NES days, on a variety of systems and emulators. So I'm not using a strict NES-perfect emulation standard as a reference. All I can tell is that it's enjoyable and plays well enough.

As for the rest of the package, it's nice. I like all the extras. The challenge modes are a really nice "NES Remix" sort of thing. The museum mode, music player, and concept art are all fantastic. I think I spent 30 minutes just looking at concept art and NPC descriptions.

The "VC" style menu is nice as well. You can have a save state and reload quickly enough. Buttons are completely remappable. You can turn the UI artwork on or off. And so on. It's full featured enough that I don't miss anything going from the VC versions to this.

So, yeah. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the eShop version to anyone. At $15 I think it's a good deal.

jblank83

EDIT: Thx for further impressions JRES :)

You're welcome.

If I saw anything even slightly irritating in the gameplay I would have related it. So far all I see is NES style slowdown. Unfortunately I'm not able to say if it's exactly the same slowdown as the NES hardware.

If I see any other problems when I play later today I'll mention it.

jblank83

I don't want anyone to be misled into a purchase based on my input, so I went back and was more methodical with my testing. I was able to confirm the judder others have mentioned.

What I did was load up a stage with no enemies on the first screen, e.g. Hard Man from Mega Man 3, run all the way to the left edge, stand there and shoot individual buster shots to the right side. I visually tracked the shots and noted any skipping. There are indeed stutters/skipped frames.

These skipped frames are not consistent or the majority of frames. My crude estimate would be 1/10 buster shots (I didn't time how long each shot is, but maybe about 1-2 seconds). They're not consistently at the same point in the cycle either. You may get 2 in a short timeframe, or go awhile without seeing any. Usually the skip is subtle, hard to see if the screen is in motion. Rarely it's very obvious, as you'd see with the credits screen.

To confirm I loaded up the same stage on the VC version of the game. Zero stutters, completely smooth gameplay.

Other than that, the VC versions feel "tighter" as far as input. I'd say it's a very minimal difference, but it seemed true.

Given this I can see why someone might be upset. For myself, I'm not upset with the purchase. The jitter/input is not serious enough to render the games unplayable. I'd say they're still very playable. It is disappointing, though, and I would like to see a patch (unlikely).

Beyond that, I still like the extra content quite a lot.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Oh man, $15 sounds like a steal. Especially considering I already have the Amiibo, so the extra challenges are already there for me.

Question: Are the challenges enough to justify the price in your opinion? I literally already played through every Mega Man game last year in 2015, so I'm not that thrilled about playing through each one again, but the challenge mode does sound like fun. Are the challenges similar to NES Remix where you get interesting things that don't belong in the game, or like Shovel Knight where they are arranged versions of the level? From the video it looked as if though you are just doing nothing but speed running certain sections of stages, not that interesting.

I really enjoyed Mega Man 9's mission mode, I'm wondering if it's more like that - where there is some creative stuff in there.

Robin64

There's nothing as cool as the Remix stages from NES Remix, but you do switch games in some of the challenges. Like, you might do Bubble Man's jumping bit, then hit a portal and do Elec Man's climbing bit.. And so on. But yeah, really they are just "bits of the game on a timer".

RopeSnake

Banned
LMAO Not Crapcom charging more for this game on eShop, they have really reached a new low.

Nobody asked for this collection to begin with it. This is an embarrassing cashgrab that doesn't even include the entire Mega Man classics. Why leave 7, 8, 9 and 10 out? Legacy my ass.

Balb

Eh, I'm guessing this is still the best way of playing the games outside of using the actual carts and the original Wii VC releases, so I guess I'll stick with my 3DS order. I'm still disappointed though. I don't want to dogpile on Frank because I know how much he cares about game preservation and he probably wishes the game could be patched more than anyone else but it's pretty disappointing that the compilation didn't live up to the "Criterion Collection" comparison Frank aspired the collection to be like.

I'm hoping the next inevitable Mega Man compilation lives up to that aspiration. I also hope Capcom doesn't establish the next one as a $15 product. Quality doesn't come cheap, and I'd be willing to pay $50 or $60 for a killer compilation of 1-10 + Wily Wars.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
There's nothing as cool as the Remix stages from NES Remix, but you do switch games in some of the challenges. Like, you might do Bubble Man's jumping bit, then hit a portal and do Elec Man's climbing bit.. And so on. But yeah, really they are just "bits of the game on a timer".

Eh, okay pass. I think I'd rather just play Mega Man 9, best game of the series.

Some of the challenges are neat like the Robot Masters, Wily machines and other bosses.

But some of the remixes and mega mixes use the same sections of the stages, so there isn't as much variety as I would like.

I can't play my 3DS copy atm, but people on GameFAQs are reporting that Rockman 5 performs just fine, while Mega Man 5 seems to have a lot of glaring issues.

I didn't even know they included the Japanese versions as well, and its kind of shocking to hear multiple people report them performing better (or at least 5 is). I won't be able to play until tomorrow evening, but I'll have to test this myself.

fernoca

Are there actual differences between the english and japanese versions?

Or just the same but different language (outside the performance mentioned above).

I can't play my 3DS copy atm, but people on GameFAQs are reporting that Rockman 5 performs just fine, while Mega Man 5 seems to have a lot of glaring issues.

I didn't even know they included the Japanese versions as well, and its kind of shocking to hear multiple people report them performing better (or at least 5 is). I won't be able to play until tomorrow evening, but I'll have to test this myself.

Man, that is weird.

Good to know at least one of the versions of 5 performs well. I love that entry.

My 3DS copy should be coming in today. Should I return it with all these problems I'm reading about? I've never played any of these Megaman games, so I thought this would be a nice collection to pick.
No. Most of the complaints in here are being hyperbolic and petty. The megaman collection is a great set of ports for games that are over 2 decades old. I played all of these games when I was younger and half the complaints I've seen levied at this collection were issues that were In the original games. There are a few judder issues but they don't make the game unplayable and it won't be noticeable for 90% of the population.

No. Most of the complaints in here are being hyperbolic and petty. The megaman collection is a great set of ports for games that are over 2 decades old. I played all of these games when I was younger and half the complaints I've seen levied at this collection were issues that were In the original games. There are a few judder issues but they don't make the game unplayable and it won't be noticeable for 90% of the population.

People aren't being hyperbolic and petty. Certain issues in games affect people in different ways, such as the framepacing in Bloodborne.

And I don't believe anyone has called this collection "unplayable". The main reason people are being extra-critical of this set is due to the way it was sold to the public. If you present something as the most authentic way to play these classic titles outside of the actual hardware and a desire to be the Criterion Collection of video games, guess what? Your product is going to be scrutinized heavily, as it should be.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but that is certainly an interesting way to phrase that response.

SaiyanRaoh

This. So this. I'm having an amazing time with the games.

Vinnk

So is the general consensus that the Wii U VC ports are the way to go if you just want to play the games in their original form? I don't care about galleries or remixed stuff.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So is the general consensus that the Wii U VC ports are the way to go if you just want to play the games in their original form? I don't care about galleries or remixed stuff.

Wii VC on a Wii is the best way, probably. NES on Wii U isn't great.

If they ever patch this collection (and the patch actually fixes everything) it'll be the best option, easily.

I would avoid NES/N64 games on the Wii U VC if you don't like dark filters making the games look washed out and bland. Apparently Nintendo does this on all of their VC games as some kind of "anti seizure" safety precaution (or so I hear)

Original NES carts, or just stick with Wii mode VC.

jblank83

NES and SNES on Wii U have significant input delay.

The 3DS VC versions play wonderfully. Some people hate the filter. It doesn't bother me, tbqh. Someone posted pictures earlier, and there is a difference, but it looks worse when blown up than on the screen. There's the Wii VC also but then you have to play on the Wii (or in Wii mode on a Wii U). There's also just straight PC emulation.

If they ever patch the 3DS legacy collection, it'll be definitive. Until then, it's not.

Spent some time with the 3DS version and overall, I'm happy with it. The games don't run perfectly (there's definitely some stuttering) but none of it affects gameplay....

....except in the case of Mega Man V. The performance here is pretty awful. Like, I'm surprised at how bad it is. Fortunately, like has been reported elsewhere, switching to Rockman 5 fixes these issues. Why....I have no idea. Seems like a really weird problem to have, but it least switching to the Famicom version makes the game enjoyable. Having the Japanese versions is a very nice touch, especially when it makes one of the games actually run properly.

Spent some time with the 3DS version and overall, I'm happy with it. The games don't run perfectly (there's definitely some stuttering) but none of it affects gameplay....

....except in the case of Mega Man V. The performance here is pretty awful. Like, I'm surprised at how bad it is. Fortunately, like has been reported elsewhere, switching to Rockman 5 fixes these issues. Why....I have no idea. Seems like a really weird problem to have, but it least it makes the game enjoyable. Having the Japanese versions is a very nice touch, especially when it makes one of the games actually run properly.

Glad to see more confirmations of Rockman 5 running smoothly... It's still very odd though. I can't help but wonder if the other Rockman games run better... We'll need some side by side comparisons, or someone with more patience/knowledge than I.

Top Bottom