• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

For any UK folks, a statue has gone up on the Official Nintendo UK Store.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/merch-figures/running-megaman/11184054.html

CckJ67yW0AAnisU.jpg

(It's £134.99)

Looks nice, not sure I can stomach that price though :(

Oh well, on the brighter side my Japanese 3DS limited edition Legacy Collection arrived today and I like the extras more than I thought I would. It comes with 6 replaceable cover sleeves - each of which features cover art from one of the Famicom games (so all 6 look lovely). It also comes with Dr Wily's diary, which has a wonderful cover (full of NES sprites of bosses and enemies). Only had a quick browse of the diary, but it looks like there are entries on each day from Wily detailing various activities that he was up to on that day (I saw Blues/Protoman mentioned a couple of times). Seems like a cool little extra, and I love the packaging of the entire collection.

Now I'm just waiting for my USA 3DS LE to arrive so I get my Gold Mega Man Amiibo.

I finished all 6 games on 3DS, and most of the challenges, excluding the buster only boss fights. I just don't have the gold amiibo or a NFC reader, so I haven't done the extra challenges.

For anyone who has the amiibo, what are the 11 extra challenges like? Is it worth paying a lot extra just to play them?

Blues1990

Considering that I already have the soundtracks for all 10 Mega Man/Rockman games, as well as not caring too much for the Nintendo 3DS MM Themes, is anyone interested with wanting the codes?

EloNoolah

The included soundtrack sampler thing is really kind of a disappointment. It's just a smattering of tracks taken directly from the Rockcan Sound E Can (something I know because they didn't even bother to change any of the track info). Even weirder is that half the tracks don't have album art and a couple of them are even (imo inferior) remixes from Rockman Complete Works instead of the original NES tracks. So many things about this collection teeter between knocking it out of the park and completely screwing the pooch, and it's upsetting because just a little bit more time in the oven to polish a few things up could've made this the definitive Mega Man compilation.

I'm honestly pretty satisfied with this collection personally, but I wish the music mode inside the game played the songs as if it were a playlist so you could listen to it continuously. As it is, each song has to be selected in the menu if you want to listen to it.

Chopper

This might be a stupid question, but is there anyone here who might want to offload their Gold Megaman amiibo upon a lowly European collector? For a proce of course.

I finally had the chance to try my Japanese copy of this game, now that my 3DS is region free (woo!)

I'm actually pretty pleased with the port on the whole. I'm not noticing stutter on the games (or if I am, its not that noticeable that its ruining my time with the game). Mega Man 5 is indeed the exception though, that game runs like crap unless you set the games to "Rockman" in the options at which point it runs so much better its unbelievable. I wonder what the issue with that is?

Plus I'm really loving how clean and sharp the graphics look, so much better compared to how they look via either the Virtual Console versions, or the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox Anniversary Collection.

Now I wait for my USA Special Edition to arrive so I can try the Amiibo exclusive challenges.

--edit

Gave my Xbox One copy a try as well. I don't like it. I'm getting noticeable input lag which makes it feel like Mega Man is wearing cement shoes, he feels so damn heavy. Its not game breaking, I can still play the games ok but it requires a few minutes to adjust to this difference. I tried my PS4 copy again right after playing it and the input lag isn't present on that port, Mega Man feels as light as a feather...

I got an update on PS4.

Version 1.01

-Improved in-game audio playback
-Improved sound effects in menus
-Added support for the Japanese Rockman versions of all six games
-Added Japanese language support
-Various bug fixes and performance improvements

WAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!????

NEED IMPRESSIONS, STAT!
I'm really not the best person to do so. I tried the first half of Cutman and Bubbleman since I remember issues with the performance of those but didn't have an issue. I can try to test out a particular level if it had particularly noticeable slowdown.

The Rockman versions can be selected from the Options/Controls menu from the Main Menu.

I played Megaman 5 yesterday and 6 today on 3DS (the Rockman version of 5 runs better). I think my favorites are 2, 5, and 6. 1, 3, and 4 are good too. There are a lot of people out there who like classic Megaman.

So I guess my control issues with the Xbox One version were just down to a bad set of batteries. Swapped them out and my controller lag issues are gone.

However one issue I'm having since the new patch dropped on the Xbox One is the menu system is broken. The main title screen has gone from blue to black and when bringing up the in game menu (to save, retry challenges etc.) the transparencies seem to be broken so I can no longer see which option I'm trying to select. Plus the transition effect in challenge mode (when going from one area to another) seems weird now, hard to describe what's wrong with it apart from that the flashing effect seems strange/un natural.
I've tried deleting the entire game and starting again but that didn't fix things, anyone else having this issue? Only other thing I could try is deleting my save game and since I'm fairly far through the challenge mode I'm not willing to try that at the moment.

Wow, that sounds really bad. I can't believe they messed it up!

I just played through Mega Man 1. I like that game a lot! It's short and sweet, with a good amount of challenge, but I don't think it's the hardest MM game at all. I even beat the Yellow Devil without the pause trick. The hardest part is the last level with the boss rush and the Wily fight.

Wow, that sounds really bad. I can't believe they messed it up!

I just played through Mega Man 1. I like that game a lot! It's short and sweet, with a good amount of challenge, but I don't think it's the hardest MM game at all. I even beat the Yellow Devil without the pause trick. The hardest part is the last level with the boss rush and the Wily fight.

Its strange for sure. It doesn't interfere with the actual games themselves, but its more of an eye sore when I'm restarting challenges or on the title screen.

Weirder still is that the PS4 version doesn't have the issue for me. I checked that just now and its fine... like I said, strange!

mjc

As a newcomer to classic Mega Man games, I'm about ready to throw my 3DS out the window playing the Ice Man stage. That checkpoint layout is BRUTAL. (And I hate the platforms)

As a newcomer to classic Mega Man games, I'm about ready to throw my 3DS out the window playing the Ice Man stage. That checkpoint layout is BRUTAL. (And I hate the platforms)

If you have the magnet beam item, it creates a platform you can stand on. You can use that to help you get through those platforms.

But he will need to play Gutsman stage so he can have the weapon that acess magnet beam so he WILL throw his 3DS...

Gutsman stage is a good place to start actually. You can beat him with the regular Mega Buster. The trickiest section is right at the beginning with that moving platform. Those pick axe throwers are also kind of a pain without Fire Man's weapon.

Chuckie

Gutsman stage is a good place to start actually. You can beat him with the regular Mega Buster. The trickiest section is right at the beginning with that moving platform. Those pick axe throwers are also kind of a pain without Fire Man's weapon.

Yeah I always start with Gutsman stage. Apart from the first three platforms, the level is rather simple.

Bombman both in stage and boss is by far the easiest one and the best place to start with. Besides Gutsman is weak to Bombman's bombs anyway so you might as well start better with his guy instead.

Bombman both in stage and boss is by far the easiest one and the best place to start with. Besides Gutsman is weak to Bombman's bombs anyway so you might as well start better with his guy instead.

Yeah. Bomb was always my go to stage back in the day. Either that or Cut Man, he's pretty easy as well in my opinion. Thankfully I have the Guts platforms down to an art form now, but they did give me a couple of issues back in the day.

Chuckie

Yeah. Bomb was always my go to stage back in the day. Either that or Cut Man, he's pretty easy as well in my opinion. Thankfully I have the Guts platforms down to an art form now, but they did give me a couple of issues back in the day.

But you need Gutsmans weapon to get the magnetic beam in Cutmans stage. So it is never a good idea to start with him.

You're right. And you need Cutmans weapon for that. I got confused.

I always go: Guts > Cut > Elec > Ice > Fire > Bomb.

It seems Cut/Bomb/Guts are all good options to start with.

Yeah, as long as your not going after Elec, Ice or Fire first you'll be fine. Ice is actually a fairly easy boss fight, if you have the timing down of his attacks. Its his stage that I dislike, 2/3 of the stage is pretty evil platforming sections that I'm not overly fond of.

I'm a glutton for punishment though, so I rarely use weapons at all (and never on bosses if I can avoid it) which certainly ups the challenge factor quite a bit. But I've always been of the opinion that certain boss fights go to waste if you use special weapons (like Crash Man or Shadow Man) as they are over so quick. I like to have them drawn out more, so I can see all their different attacks and learn the best ways to perfect them with your default weapon only. I'm probably in the minority in that regard, but I think it makes the game quite challenging and really fun. Apart from the Doc Robots in MM3 though, some of those are crazy in terms of damage and attacks, I still can't beat Wood Man using only my buster attack, he's too big and does way to much damage too quick... one day...

Sometimes I watch someone speedrun Mega Man 1 and he always starts with Gutsman. But I'll try Bombman next time just for fun.

You're right. And you need Cutmans weapon for that. I got confused.

I always go: Guts > Cut > Elec > Ice > Fire > Bomb.

It seems Cut/Bomb/Guts are all good options to start with.

You need Gutsman's weapon to get the Magnet Beam, not Cutman's. But yeah, that's the order I have gone in too.

I tend to start with Bombman when I play MM1 but Gutsman and Cutman are also good places to go first.

You should never start with Elecman unless you want to play the stage twice for some reason!

Link_enfant

What makes the japanese Rockman versions of the games run better exactly? That seems weird... I'm still not sure about which version should I get, though I admit 3DS versions is very tempting (no physical version in Europe anyway)

mjc

Damn, good thing the pause trick exists for MM1. I'm not sure if I would have been able to beat Wily at the very end. (Let alone the yellow dude)

What makes the japanese Rockman versions of the games run better exactly? That seems weird... I'm still not sure about which version should I get, though I admit 3DS versions is very tempting (no physical version in Europe anyway)

It's just the 3DS version and it's Mega Man 5 that runs better when you play Rockman 5 instead. The other games are ok.

I'm still on the fence getting this game, whats the best version 3DS or PS4? I already own MM 1-4 on 3DS.

I'd say the PS4 version wins it narrowly - The only real difference I've found is that Mega Man 5 has weird performance issues (frame rate drops) on the 3DS version if you don't set the games to "Rockman" in the options menu. Mega Man 5 runs badly, but if its set to Rockman 5 it works ok (still doesn't seem quite as smooth as I'd expect it to be though).

Other than that they are identical, bar the 3DS version getting exclusive challenges in the challenge mode, but those require a Mega Man Amiibo to unlock.

Is it better to get this or the Complete Works versions?

If you can get the original complete works versions then I'd say go for those. More options (difficulty options for those that want things easier or harder), remixed music (4-6 get full new soundtracks, 1-3 get screwed and only get select tracks from the Power Battle/Power Fighters series). Plus if your playing on the original Playstation and have a Pocketstation then you can make the game even easier/harder by levelling up Mega Man or the bosses.
The CW versions are still my favourite versions of the games for sure, next to the original Famicom releases.

Link1110

Just beat Mega Man 1 on ps4. Did the original decide to randomly kill you by having you fall through the moving platforms in ice mans stage? It happens a lot on this

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Just beat Mega Man 1 on ps4. Did the original decide to randomly kill you by having you fall through the moving platforms in ice mans stage? It happens a lot on this

Yes. MM1 is not a great representation of the series; certainly the least refined/glitchiest.

The original Megaman is still pretty cool, but those platforms are the worst part of the game! I like to be careful and use the beam item to get past those.

So I finally opened up my amiibo and it's pretty cool! I also like the graphic of Skullman on the back of the game case.

Link1110

Goddamn, MM1's Wily stages are torture with Mega Man 2 just around the corner.

I got through MM1 using RoahmMythril's perfect run videos. Watch them for some hints. The game wasn't too hard (and kinda fun) going in armed with some knowledge. Almost like a modern day equivilant of Nintendo Power.

And for the Guts platforms, I wound up doing the challenge with them in it like 50 times before I mastered them (finally after DECADES.) That felt good.

ThisOne

If I have the digital version and buy the physical version, will my saves and stuff work when I use the physical version?

Top Bottom