• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Haunted said:
Dang, those tweets are awesome. CapcomEuro tweets are probably made from the crazy/high people from the E3 2010 presentation (one million troops!)
I see what you did there.

diffusionx

Gold Member
scytheavatar said:
This pretty much. If Inafune wants to make it so much why don't he offer to work on it for free like he did for Megaman 2?

1. Megaman 2 was made in a few months, by a few people. Try doing that nowadays.
2. Inafune was like, 22 years old. When you are 22 years old you do a lot of stupid shit that you would hesitate to do at 46. Working on a complete videogame in your spare time for no money in the hopes of enriching your bosses would qualify.

diffusionx said:
2. Inafune was like, 22 years old. When you are 22 years old you do a lot of stupid shit that you would hesitate to do at 46. Working on a complete videogame in your spare time for no money in the hopes of enriching your bosses would qualify.
Bingo.

OH SHI-

Source (Keiji Inafune's Official Blog) said:
(source)

295907_189266974480885_149316248475958_386379_1272134611_a.jpg

ファンって本当に有り難いってつくづく思う。

応援してくれる誰かがいると頑張れるからね。

I think, without question, that these fans are really kind.

When people cheer for someone, it helps that person do their best, right?

先日、「ロックマンDASH3」を再起動させようというファンのサイトを見つけた。

想いの強いファンからの熱いラブコール。 とても嬉しい。

The other day I came across a fan site for the revival of Rockman DASH 3. All these fans with such strong emotions really do have an intense passion for the game. I am really glad to hear this.

「DASH3」って一部の人たちからかも知れないけど、愛されているなぁって思うよ。

ゲーム制作に関わってきてそんな作品に巡り合えることは少ない。

Perhaps this is only from a small collective of fans who want DASH 3, but I can really feel the love. It is rare to be able to encounter such dedication in the game design industry.

ほとんどの作品は「大ヒット」したってその時代での話題とファンを集めることは出来るけど、思い出に残る作品にはなってくれない。

Although most "popular" creations are talked about often and have huge fanbases, they will not make enough of a personal impact to stay in gamers' minds for very long after they've finished them.

ゲームはどんどん消費されていくだけの「娯楽」でしかないことが多い。

There are, however, a lot of cases in which games are not only about short-term amusement.

少なくとも「DASH3」は、今も記憶に残る作品であるし、創った人間も遊んだ人間も愛してやまない存在なんだと思うよ。

Although short-lived, DASH 3 is a game where, even now that the work is only a memory to us, I think that the creators and players involved genuinely have a lot of love for it.

「DASH3」はそんなカプコン人生の中でも最も「記憶に残る作品」に間違いない。

Theres no mistake that DASH 3 is, in all of Capcom's existence, the number 1 game that has left the biggest impression on its supporters.

再起動を望むのファンの熱い想いに触れて、また俺の心も熱くなってきたよ。

While fans who wish for a revival of Dash 3 have touched upon a burning passion, I too feel the warmth.

「ヒットというものは、いかに人の心を掴むことが出来るかにかかっている」

"Something which we call a hit will be and can be held deep within our hearts"

人の心を無視して形だけ創ったところでヒットなどは生まれない。

ファンの心がこの作品に命を与え続ける限り「再起動」を諦めることなんてできないと思うよ。

A product which has ignored the fans' hearts as it has taken shape cannot be born a hit. We cannot give up on the idea of rebooting DASH as long as the fans' hearts continue to give the series life.

俺も「再起動プロジェクト」特別メンバーくらいの気持ちでこのファンたちの心と共に応援し続けようと思う。

いつか俺の後輩の力で「再起動」が叶う日を夢みているよ。

I also think that I will continue cheering on these fans, and I will continue to feel as though I am a special member of this revival project myself. I would like to see the day that my juniors' dreams of reviving DASH 3 come true.

無責任って声がいろんなとこから飛ぶだろうけど、そんなこと気にせず応援を送り続けるから。

There are various voices which recklessly fly around throughout this movement, however,I will continue cheering them on.

だってファンは応援することでしか制作者を助けられないもんね。 一緒に作れないなら応援することしか出来ない。

間違ってもネガティブな声は送りたくないもんだ。

If fans only cheer the producers on as they produce games, we cannot truly help them improve, right? We wouldn't be able to make the game together otherwise. But even if there's been a mistake, I do not want to be negative about it.

「ROCKMANをプレイしていて、何度も無理だと諦めかけた。 でもどうしてもクリアしたくて必死で続けた。 いつしかワイリーステージをクリアし、UFOを倒してエンディングを見た感動を忘れない。」

"While playing Classic Rockman, for a while I found it too difficult and wanted to give up. But even then, I would desperately continue to clear the stage. Nobody can forget the feeling of finally beating Wilys stage after all that work, defeating the UFO and watching the ending."

そんなファンも多いはず。

There must be loads of fans who have that feeling.

ファンの気持ちを思えば、ファンに出来たんだ、制作者に出来ない訳がないと腹をくくって、何度も何度も無理と諦めかけたって何度でもチャレンジして最後には「DASH3」を完成させたってバチは当たらんよ。

If the fans' feelings are considered, those fans can sway the producers and strengthen their resolve. That feeling of wanting to give up can be eased by overcoming all the obstacles and challenges we may face, until DASH 3 is completed at last. It can happen!

ファンと一緒に俺もずっと諦めずに応援しているからな。 頑張れ後輩。

Together, let's never give up. Let's continue cheering, okay?

Do your best, my juniors!

Nice morale boost if there ever was one.

This is a fun ride.

Also there's this, found on protodude's rockman corner.:
Now then, I've gotta emphasis something: Inafune is not the secret Capcom supporter we've been teasing. That news is still forthcoming. All I can say is he's been a large part of the Mega Man franchise for well over a decade, having a hand in the production of several titles. Keep your expectations in check, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

I'm teaching English in Japan and I just showed my students a jack o'lantern that I carved with Megaman/Rockman's face several years ago. I had a junior high student recognize the face from the pumpkin alone, but even when I showed the students a picture of Rockman, very few knew who he was, and even one teacher who was a gamer didn't know him.

While there's no question that Mario and Dragon Quest have always ruled here, Capcom really needs to work to drive the character back into the popular consciousness.

(for further comparison, numerous kids have commented on pictures from Zelda games, and no one has any idea what Metroid is).

Zen

Banned
'Mega Man Legends 3' Fans Make Their Voices Heard
October 19, 2011 11:31 PM EDT

An army of devoted Mega Man fans marched through New York Comic Con to the Capcom booth to convince Capcom to release the now cancelled Mega Man Legends 3. That's not a bad idea.

Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 set themselves apart from other Mega Man games by having 3D and RPG elements versus the franchise's signature side-scrolling shooting action the Blue Bomber is known for. The success of those games paved way for Mega Man Legends 3.

Back in July, however, Capcom announced that they have cancelled the sequel to the dismay of fans. Fan pages, forum posts, emails, and even paper letters popped up pleading Capcom to release their anticipated game. Capcom still said they had no plan of completing and releasing the game. Well, that was very mean of them. It's not like they never released a mediocre game before. Remember Capcom Fighting Jam?

After months of not being able to convince Capcom to put out the game, fans purchased their own booth, decorated it with Servbot memorabilia, called out to potential supporters of Project Get Me Off The Moon. They really put some effort into it. It could have been a simple table with a clipboard, but they really made it look good.

Then finally on Sunday, the group marched straight to the Capcom booth and presented a handmade book of fans' stories of MML to Capcom advisor Seth Killian. Seth looked at the book and seemed impressed. He even passed the book to a few interested Capcom reps.

This was not the last stand for Project Get Me Off The Moon. They are planning on attending several other conventions to gather more support.

Capcom has released games based on fan support such a Street Fighter IV and Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. And Project Get Me Off The Moon is one of the best executed fan efforts presented to Capcom. It will be hard for them to forget that march.

Below is a video interview with Project Get Me Off The Moon representative Dashe Troxon after the march.

http://technology.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474980619817

Boney

Banned
Fine Ham Abounds said:
Nah, let's keep this in here, this is finally something on topic that can salvage the thread.
I don't know man, a title saying

Keiji wants us to occupy capcom would be a pretty interesting ride

Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 set themselves apart from other Mega Man games by having 3D and RPG elements versus the franchise's signature side-scrolling shooting action the Blue Bomber is known for. The success of those games paved way for Mega Man Legends 3.
The laughter we had...

I don't know what's funnier. Capcom's allotting R&D to the game after Inafune's crying, Inafune leaving and sending the project to death, or the people that believe this would have been successful.

Boney

Banned
Prime Blue said:
The laughter we had...

I don't know what's funnier. Capcom's allotting R&D to the game after Inafune's crying, Inafune leaving and sending the project to death, or the people that believe this would have been successful.
only tears

qq more

IDK how well MML1 did but I've heard MML2 wasn't too successful...

Actually, does anyone still have the sales for those games? I'm curious.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
wwm0nkey said:
One of the guys who played it said the gameplay was just fine.
You know regardless of how good the game was, there would be a large backlash against it with this whole cancellation kerfuffle as the sticking point, mostly from people who wouldn't otherwise give a damn about it.

qq more said:
IDK how well MML1 did but I've heard MML2 wasn't too successful...

Actually, does anyone still have the sales for those games? I'm curious.
I haven't been able to find accurate (or reliable) numbers, but from scouring google, it seems like the lifetime totals are

MML1: 124,844
MML2: 96,339

Those aren't 100% accurate, but they are in the ballpark from what I hear.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Not wanting to bump due to no news but I've wondered...

...with latest 3DS sales, is Capcom wanting to give MML3 a chance?

Not wanting to bump due to no news but I've wondered...

...with latest 3DS sales, is Capcom wanting to give MML3 a chance?

No.
It really doesn't matter at this point.
They had their chance. The Prototype was ready to be released. And they shived it.
The project is dead.
And it'll never happen.

I haven't been able to find accurate (or reliable) numbers, but from scouring google, it seems like the lifetime totals are

MML1: 124,844
MML2: 96,339

Those aren't 100% accurate, but they are in the ballpark from what I hear.

Man those numbers are criminal, what the hell is wrong with the world. It all makes sense as to why they don't want to make another one really; this is the last straw for me, now I know it for sure: MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3 WILL NEVER BE MADE.

How did those games not sell? I was in Haiti and knew I needed to get my hand on MML. The reviews seem like they were very positive too.

jett

D-Member
Man those numbers are criminal, what the hell is wrong with the world. It all makes sense as to why they don't want to make another one really; this is the last straw for me, now I know it for sure: MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3 WILL NEVER BE MADE.

How did those games not sell? I was in Haiti and knew I needed to get my hand on MML. The reviews seem like they were very positive too.

Those numbers are false, according to NPD 2003:

PSX MEGA MAN LEGENDS 322,234
PSX MEGA MAN LEGENDS 2 155,580

MML1 was a decent success, MML2 was released too late into the PS1's life cycle.

Eusis

Probably would've been a decent success on the 3DS given the momentum that's picked up and the Circle Pad Pro ensuring it CAN have MML2 controls afterall. Should've at least waited until the holiday season passed or something, nevermind they had Revelations coming along.

Eusis

what does axed mean? did they delay it?
Means they brought an axe down on its neck.
They should have cancelled it in secret and never told anyone and just let MML fans wait forever.
That'd also work better in resurrecting it. This WAS a gambit to get the game developed at all, but I think it may've been too much of a gamble because now it'll probably never be made period with the baggage this ended up bringing in.

Top Bottom