• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merkel warns 'eternal' US-EU ties not certain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carl was asking whether the European people will get to vote on this, and you're all pointing to the lack of a vote for national armies as justification for the lack of a vote on this one. It's not an equivalent situation.

Countries need armies. Trading blocks don't - it's not a foregone conclusion, and I don't find the false equivalence very persuasive.

Just btw. the EU is more than a trading block.

What makes you think that? There is broad support for the EU army. Question is just if it's broad enough and if it makes political sense.

Even if there is support (can you post any opinion polls on that one?) the whole thing will collapse as soon as they have to get into specifics.
For starters what the percentage of GDP will each country have to contribute? It sure as hell cant be like the NATO requirement of 2% which a lot of countries ignore.
Also it will become a nightmare to decide how such an army would be organized and called into action and what its mission should be. Would the EU parliament decide when a military intervention happens? Does it co exist with national armies or those get swallowed by it? What countries will have troops permanently stationed in them? How will units be organised? Will we have national or multinational units?

More false equivalences! NATO is a military alliance. The EU is not!
But they can make the EU a military alliance, which is what this is mostly about. And then all members will contribute to that alliance like they do now with NATO. I think that is a good thing.

And well, looks like we actually are already anyway:

The Treaty of Lisbon strengthens the solidarity between EU countries in dealing with external threats by introducing a mutual defence clause (Article 42(7) of the Treaty on European Union). This clause provides that if an EU country is the victim of armed aggression on its territory, the other EU countries have an obligation to aid and assist it by all the means in their power, in accordance with Article 51 of the United Nations Charter.

This obligation of mutual defence is binding on all EU countries. However, it does not affect the neutrality of certain EU countries and is consistent with the commitments of EU countries which are NATO members.
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/summary/glossary/mutual_defence.html

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Again, a common European army comparable to a national one is not going to happen any time soon. There's no point to make a direct comparison to the NATO unless you are building castles in the sky (hey, speculation/alt-history is fun), misinformed or disingenuous.

What may (will?) probably happen in the short to mid term is an increasing integration of foreign armies based on their location and strenghts. Case in point, German and Dutch militaries coordinate on a number of issues, including an integrated tank division. Italy and Spain, both of them countries with significant navies and amphibious capabilities, have also cooperated a number of times, and I'm sure that Portugal could step in without even saying hi. The Nordics could also probably band very easily.

Another example of integration would be France and Germany picking an unified rifle for their armies. This would greatly reduce the logistics related to issuing and maintaining two or more different kinds of rifles. It should result in interoperability, more standardisation and reduced costs for all the parties involved.

Even if some countries prefer to keep certain weapons systems due to strategic concerns, many of them are common or can be easily standarised once they reach their end of life. In the end, there are not a lot of European companies building amphibious assault ships, main battle tanks and cruise missiles, and a number of nations basically have interchangeable requirements.

But they can make the EU a military alliance, which is what this is mostly about. And then all members will contribute to that alliance like they do now with NATO. I think that is a good thing.

And this is the whole point. The European people should get a yes / no vote on that. It's a fundamental change, so it's really not unreasonable.

You are assuming that people will willingly combine these things. Do the French really want to die for the Italians and do Spaniards want to die for Germans. It is why even with NATO, a lot of the countries part of the alliance rarely did more than logisitics support.

Power projection is actual force, with numbers and forward operating bases, clear chain of command, rapid mobilization of military. I just do not see any kind of main integration like that ANY time soon from Europeans. Some nations can barely handle austerity measures now. How will they handle having to start spending 2-4% of GDP on military per country again? Will Germany pick up the slack and make itself the dominant power? It already is the economic power.

NATO right now is pretty much the US response with France and the UK following.

Austerity makes absolutely no sense for the EU economy (except in cases like Greece with severe fiscal mismanagement). It makes economic sense for countries like Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Austria, and even France to ramp up military spending. Thankfully Germany finally seems to have removed its head from the sand. I just hope it's not too late.

And this is the whole point. The European people should get a yes / no vote on that. It's a fundamental change, so it's really not unreasonable.
See my edit, we are already obligated to defend each other if an EU nation is attacked. As it should be in a union.

More integration and cooperation between our armed forces should be a priority and is very useful so the EU doesn't always have to come knocking to the US when Russia acts up.

norinrad

See my edit, we are already obligated to defend each other if an EU nation is attacked. As it should be in a union.

More integration and cooperation between our armed forces should be a priority and is very useful so the EU doesn't always have to come knocking to the US when Russia acts up.

Isn't that what NATO is?

Some would probably get a referendum, some wouldn't. So what?

I get what you are saying, but i think Quiche also has a point, don't dismiss him just like that.

Isn't that what NATO is?
Yes, but the EU should be able to take care of its own without the US also. And that would strengthen NATO also since we would have a more effective army.

For over 50 years we have relied on the US to have our backs. And they do. But there is no 100% guarantee they want to foot the bill for another 50 years to this extend.

No, the European people shouldn't get a vote. European countries where there's a tradition of this sort of public consultation, yeah, sure, that's how the country works.

For other countries? You know, the ones where politicians get voted on to make this sort of calls and only make referendum's to cover their asses? The politicians should decide. That's what they're for.

Article 42(7) does not require member states to take military action. It's limited to aid and assistance, and each member state is responsible for determining its contribution on the basis of what they deem to be necessary. It's not Art. 5 of NATO.

norinrad

Yes, but the EU should be able to take care of its own without the US also. And that would strengthen NATO also since we would have a more effective army.

For over 50 years we have relied on the US to have our backs. And they do. But there is no 100% guarantee they want to foot the bill for another 50 years to this extend.

I agree, though what you suggesting would be dismantling NATO, its a threat to NATO and the US interests which they usually do all they can to defend. Another approach maybe just strengthening NATO by investing more into it from the EU, allowing the US not to carry the whole weight.

I get what you are saying, but i think Quiche also has a point, don't dismiss him just like that.

I'm just trying to say that this all comes down to national laws. Germany for example won't have a referendum, because referendums on the federal level aren't a thing, except when in comes to changes of the number/boarders/etc. of its own federal states.

Article 42(7) does not require member states to take military action. It's limited to aid and assistance, and each member state is responsible for determining its contribution on the basis of what they deem to be necessary. It's not Art. 5 of NATO.
We can change it to that. Wouldn't be a bad thing.

I agree, though what you suggesting would be dismantling NATO, its a threat to NATO and the US interests which they usually do all they can to defend. Another approach maybe just strengthening NATO by investing more into it from the EU, allowing the US not to carry the whole weight.
I don't see the direct threat to NATO. If the EU wants to strengthen it's military, it would mean they spent more on it, which benefits NATO also. These resources will not be taken out of NATO, since there is so much overlap. If NATO calls on its members, those resources will be used.

Some would probably get a referendum, some wouldn't. So what?

"So what?", sums up the EU approach quite well(!).

Look, a poster said asked if the European people should get a vote on the formation of an EU army. He was dismissed on the grounds that people generally don't get a say in whether or not their country has an army.

I'm responding to that. I think it's a fundamental change to the EU and yes the people should get to vote on it. You are of course free to disagree with that.

Edit:

In your opinion! I'm also interested in the opinions of everyone else in the EU, and I suggest that the leaders of the EU should be too.

Xiao Hu

Either we stand together and unite or we will picked apart one by one. I don't trust neither the Trumpist US nor the Putinist Russia.

In your opinion! I'm also interested in the opinions of everyone else in the EU, and I suggest that the leaders of the EU should be too.
That is what elections are for. These things take years to do. Political parties run on a platform for or against it. That is how we collect opinions from a country in most situations.

Referendums recently have shown that they are far from perfect. Small amounts of people show up and hold the country hostage with the result.

norinrad

I don't see the direct threat to NATO. If the EU wants to strengthen it's military, it would mean they spent more on it, which benefits NATO also. These resources will not be taken out of NATO, since there is so much overlap. If NATO calls on its members, those resources will be used.

But what you are suggesting is a military alliance inside a military alliance no? They can propose laws to expand NATO's operations. What is the future purpose of NATO when the EU has created his own Military alliance? There would be calls to stop any little funding NATO gets from member countries, rendering NATO ultimately useless. Something the US would not like at all.

How should such an alliance be defined?

Lucumo

Good, now let's help loosening the tie from our side as well.

Either we stand together and unite or we will picked apart one by one. I don't trust neither the Trumpist US nor the Putinist Russia.
You trusted the US in any way before Trump?

"So what?", sums up the EU approach quite well(!).

Look, a poster said asked if the European people should get a vote on the formation of an EU army. He was dismissed on the grounds that people generally don't get a say in whether or not their country has an army.

I'm responding to that. I think it's a fundamental change to the EU and yes the people should get to vote on it. You are of course free to disagree with that.

Well, I said some will get a vote on this and some won't. Some countries require areferendum for this kind of a change, some don't, and in some it's actually impossible to have a referendum for this kind of a change (Germany for sure, don't know about others).
I'm not sure if we actually disagree on this, except that you seem to think that ALL countries should have a vote on this issue?

But what you are suggesting is a military alliance inside a military alliance no? They can propose laws to expand NATO's operations. What is the future purpose of NATO when the EU has created his own Military alliance? There would be calls to stop any little funding NATO gets from member countries, rendering NATO ultimately useless. Something the US would not like at all.

Some EU countries are not NATO members. NATO is a defensive alliance of course, so it is only used when attacked. An EU army could maybe do more, depending on what the nations want it to be (this will take years to define), for example peacekeeping missions and interventions.

The problem NATO has is that countries don't spent enough on military overall. The percentage of GDP for some nations on their military is too little, so if something happens, the other countries need to pick up the slack. If those nations make their military spending larger through an EU army, that would benefit NATO also since they would be more prepared for when NATO is attacked.

That is what elections are for. These things take years to do. Political parties run on a platform for or against it. That is how we collect opinions from a country in most situations.

Referendums recently have shown that they are far from perfect. Small amounts of people show up and hold the country hostage with the result.

They do? I've voted in every election I've been able to, and I don't think I've heard any party running on a platform either for or against an EU army.

Referendums may not be perfect, but you can use them to get an answer on a very specific question relating to a fundamental change.

Edit:

Regarding the small number of people thing, by all means have a minimum turnout requirement.

Don't you get that Merkel/EU doesn't trust the Trump administration and/or are going to play hardball to get the Trump administration back on their sides?

NATO becomes irrelevant if Trump decides it doesn't want to be a part of it. And no serious foreign leader decides to bet the US Congress will go behind the administration's wishes.

Bottom line: the US is becoming a banana republic and countries need to hedge their bets.

They do? I've voted in every election I've been able to, and I don't think I've heard any party running on a platform either for or against an EU army.

Referendums may not be perfect, but you can use them to get an answer on a very specific question relating to a fundamental change.
Because it is not an issue at the moment? You can bet that once actual proposals for an EU army appear that need to be approved by the nations, political parties will make their stance clear on it. These are not issues that will be suddenly be taken care of within a year.

How do you even begin something like this?

In the United States there is one language. It's easy to translate the same protocols across everything. Soldiers stationed in Texas can effectively operate vehicles, procedures, take orders and do any task no matter where they are.
In Europe you have many different languages, and decentralized systems not to mention varying degrees of tactics, and procedures. Could you even imagine French troops being deployed in Poland and serving a Polish commander? Or Portuguese peace keeping forces in Greece?
A joint EU army would be a monumental task. It's not if it should or shouldn't be done. I think the manner of the ways think has gone in the last 7 years, it has to. I wouldn't have been for a EU army 7 years ago, but I am now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Some do, some don't. The thing is, this wasn't an issue until very recently, so it stands for reason that many parties in the Union didn't think too much about this. Only now this is starting to become something resembling a topic of conversation.

For what is worth, last time I voted in a general election I did so for a party that explicitly called for more integration among European armies. So it is not like this is something that doesn't happen.

In the United States there is one language. It's easy to translate the same protocols across everything. Soldiers stationed in Texas can effectively operate vehicles, procedures, take orders and do any task no matter where they are.
In Europe you have many different languages, and decentralized systems not to mention varying degrees of tactics, and procedures. Could you even imagine French troops being deployed in Poland and serving a Polish commander? Or Portuguese peace keeping forces in Greece?
A joint EU army would be a monumental task. It's not if it should or shouldn't be done. I think the manner of the ways think has gone in the last 7 years, it has to. I wouldn't have been for a EU army 7 years ago, but I am now.
Nearly all armies in the Union follow NATO standards already and their officers speak a common language (usually English, but also French and German depending on the region). Further, many countries even operate the same weapons systems (IE: Spain, Germany and Poland use Leopard tanks). They routinely collaborate and participate in training exercises without major issues.

CoolOff

Uh, this already happens without major issues both within NATO and various European missions in for example Mali.

Most Europeans are very proficient in English.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Again, this is already a thing. Working language is English. Combined military exercises happen regularly. In Afghanistan, Mali and many other countries we are already working together directly, but also in Europe:
https://www.thetrumpet.com/article/13745.2.0.0/germany-is-taking-over-the-dutch-army
http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...ea-battalion-dutch-navy-integration/79845430/

Xando

LOL, self interests and spying shenanigans aside. I think they are a good partner for the EU.

They are. But if the german assessment of Trump is correct there is a chance they won't be forever.

I mean a member (Bannon) of the upcoming US goverment is actively trying to create divisions and hate by creating fake news to influence germanys(and other EU countries) elections. That's not that much different from how the russian goverment is operating only that the US is supposed to be our allies.

Because it is not an issue at the moment? You can bet that once actual proposals for an EU army appear that need to be approved by the nations, political parties will make their stance clear on it. These are not issues that will be suddenly be taken care of within a year.

Hmm, I suppose so. But do you at least agree with the principle that the people should have a say? That's what I was responding to initially.

Some do, some don't. The thing is, this wasn't an issue until very recently, so it stands for reason that many parties in the Union didn't think too much about this. Only now this is starting to become something resembling a topic of conversation.

For what is worth, last time I voted in a general election I did so for a party that explicitally called for more integration among European armies. So it is not like this is something that doesn't happen.

Fair enough. This is kind of moot for me, being in the UK, anyway I suppose.

norinrad

They were. But if the german assessment of Trump is correct there is a chance they won't be forever.

I mean a member (Bannon) of the upcoming US goverment is actively trying to create divisions and hate by creating fake news to influence germanys(and other EU countries) elections. That's not that much different from how the russian goverment is operating only that the US is supposed to be our allies.

Thats nothing new, they used to do this back in the day and they will do everything to make sure the EU integration fails, because succeeding would mean a shift in the balance of power. I still think they are a good partner compare to say Russia and China.

Uzzy

English is already used as a common language. Equipment can be standardised. Command structures can be put into place.

It's a question of political will really. With a reluctant ally in the form of Trump and a belligerent Russia on the doorstep, that will could be found.

It's not surprising that Merkel would dislike Trump, but this is a terrible article. It makes fairly detailed claims about what Merkel thinks without quotes, 2nd hand sources, or even circumstantial evidence.

Like this:
It's Merkel's belief that Trump is only impressed by strength. She found it appalling to watch former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney beg Trump for the secretary of state as though he were a candidate on some TV talent show even though, during the campaign, he had described Trump as a "phony" and "fraud" whose "promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University." In the end, Romney lost more than just the casting show -- he also lost his dignity.

This is pure tabloid.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

To add to that, Israeli media is reporting that the American intelligence community warned Israel's that Trump's government is not to be trusted as it may leak information to Russia, meaning that it could find its way to Syria and Iran.

US intel sources warn Israel against sharing secrets with Trump administration.

The damage to America's international prestige is already significant. Allies remained close to America even during the worst of the George W. Bush administration, but there's a real chance that they may look for new alliances given the increasing chance of America turning into an unreliable partner. In a way, Putin is already winning. It's now up to the EU to ensure that this situation doesn't result in Russia increasing its influence in the region.

Slaythe

That's really scary.

Because if France bails out, EU dies.

:/

If France elects a Putin puppet, it's game over for Germany.

This. People don't get it, Russia will go as far as you let them.

Growing up post Cold War I didn't learn a lot about Russia coming through school. Is anyone here versed in Russian culture? I've always been confused as to why they're so hostile to the rest of Europe.

Hmm, I suppose so. But do you at least agree with the principle that the people should have a say? That's what I was responding to initially.
I think everyone agrees that the nations involved need to approve it. How they approve it is up to them. I am not a fan of making everything in a referendum, since it gets hijacked by unrelated issues and anti-EU propaganda.

If a country wants to put it up to a referendum, they can. If not, they can have their chosen representatives vote for it in their parliaments. That is also a perfectly good way to deal with it.

I just don't agree that everything surrounding the EU (and other things) need referendums suddenly. We have perfectly good systems in place to elect people to handle these things and referendums seem to me mostly good things on local levels for more simple matters.

Ruddles72

Germany has basically conquered conquered Europe with finance and industry in a way they couldn't with war.

German industry is absolutely the strongest overall industrial economy in Europe. But their financial system is a shambles. The German three pillar banking system is weak - the international / private banks are Deutsche and Commerzbank, both badly run with tiny market capitalisations, and the Landesbanken are ineffective and unprofitable. The savings banks are pretty good at serving their customers.

The German financial system in no sense has conquered Europe, and actually is always getting bailed out by the ECB (the Landesbanken held loads of Greek bonds, Irish bonds, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom