• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merry Christmas from Microsoft: 360 Warranty extended to 1 year

RumFore

Banned
Damn what if you bought there two year warranty way back? Does this extend it it? Had to replace mine twice already.

Triz

I bought my warranty at launch, and just called MS. My new one expires 06/2008. it should be november of 2008 but thats damn close. The rep wouldnt change it for me.

I find it funny how MS comes out with faulty 360s, covering them for only the first 3 months, making gamers pay out the ass to repair their mistakes. Then, they get sued like crazy for their greedy business practices, while watching Nintendo and Sony give their customers the industry standard 1 year warranty. They finally change their greedy ways 1 month after their competitors' systems launch. The funniest part is, some 360 owners/fanboys are praising MS for doing what they should've done 1 year ago.

Philthy said:
It's pretty obvious they'll add the extra year to whatever warranty you already have. Otherwise they'd be stealing your money at this point, and I pretty much doubt they'd want to get in any trouble.

What I want to know is if this years warranty will cover shipping costs or not. The paid warranty covers shipping costs, but the original 90 day warranty did not. So does this mean we need to pay shipping costs for the first year, but when our extended warranty starts to be used 1+ years that we dont?

Just called now, they are sending me a box. Don't have to pay a thing.

arne

DenogginizerOS said:
This is what I want to know.

But don't forget. The warranty may repair your unit, but you will lilkely get a crummy refurb.

This is why people shouldn't leak stuff, because they don't have the answers to these questions. I wonder how many people called up customer service yesterday asking this...

Your answer is:

The extended warranty will now be tacked onto the end of the new 1 year warranty time period. So if you bought a 1yr warranty, you are now covered for 2 years, if you bought a 2yr warranty, you're now covered for 3 years.

You'll get new documentation, but it won't be necessary to support your new extended warranty.

arne said:
This is why people shouldn't leak stuff, because they don't have the answers to these questions. I wonder how many people called up customer service yesterday asking this...

Your answer is:

The extended warranty will now be tacked onto the end of the new 1 year warranty time period. So if you bought a 1yr warranty, you are now covered for 2 years, if you bought a 2yr warranty, you're now covered for 3 years.

You'll get new documentation, but it won't be necessary to support your new extended warranty.

The rep I just talked to couldn't answer this question for me.

Since the warranty has been extendy for 1 year from purchase, is it possible to now buy an extended warranty in that whole one year period? He wasn't to sure and told me to contact them again when I got my new unit.

Philthy

arne said:
I wonder how many people called up customer service yesterday asking this...

Don't worry, they probably would have called anyways. And I'm sure you'll still get people calling about it even after it's explained 100 times over.

Anyways, thanks for the clarification.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
arne said:

Your answer is:

Thank you. The CSR I spoke to just looked at my account and it showed 12/2008 as the EXP date for my warranty. Very nice. He also said that the repair center had "weeded out" the older launch systems from the refurbs and that most of the replacement systems were like the newer retail systems. If so, I will be the owner of 2 Xbox 360's when I get my replacement next year. Yippee!

DJ Sl4m

Crackerman16 said:
The funniest part is, some 360 owners/fanboys are praising MS for doing what they should've done 1 year ago.

You must have missed out on the PS1 fiasco when the ratio was probably higher than the 360 defect rate quite honestly. Sony denied there was a problem and warranted NOTHING.

At least MSFT offered the cheesy $130 replacement, but even that is BS.

The praising that MSFT is getting right now is for finally getting it right, they could have chose to do what Sony did for the PS1 launch.

DenogginizerOS

DJ Sl4m said:
You must have missed out on the PS1 fiasco when the ratio was probably higher than the 360 defect rate quite honestly. Sony denied there was a problem and warranted NOTHING.

The praising that MSFT is getting right now is for finally getting it right, they could have chose to do what Sony did for the PS1 launch.

Seconded. The PS1 fiasco still burns me up (no pun intended).

DJ Sl4m said:

I never bought a PS1 and quite honestly, I hated PlayStation back then. Plus, PS1 was like what? 10 years ago? And that was Sony's first system. We're talking about current gen. here and X360 is MS's second system. Completely different comparisons.

knitoe

Think, customer service people weren't brief on how extended warranty will / not be updated. Person I talk to said new warranty will be added to your expire extended warranty. Doesn't seem to make any sense to me. We are going to have to wait a few days before low rank customer service people get their stories correct.

3rdman

Crackerman16 said:
I find it funny how MS comes out with faulty 360s, covering them for only the first 3 months, making gamers pay out the ass to repair their mistakes. Then, they get sued like crazy for their greedy business practices, while watching Nintendo and Sony give their customers the industry standard 1 year warranty. They finally change their greedy ways 1 month after their competitors' systems launch. The funniest part is, some 360 owners/fanboys are praising MS for doing what they should've done 1 year ago.

LOL, dude...grow up! You sound like you're crying onto your keyboard in frustration. :p

pr0cs

This really is great news and the only reason why I had a hard time recommending the 360 to friends and family was the pathetic 90 day warranty.

Crackerman16 said:
I never bought a PS1 and quite honestly, I hated PlayStation back then. Plus, PS1 was like what? 10 years ago? And that was Sony's first system. We're talking about current gen. here and X360 is MS's second system. Completely different comparisons.

I am having a hard time wondering what exactly your bitching about?

ms is correcting it's mistakes and giving everyone who payed for there broken console refunds..

and they extended everyone's warranty a whole year.

I mean it sucks they didn't do this in the first place.. but they learned and now they giving the one year warranty..

what else do you want?

3rdman said:
LOL, dude...grow up! You sound like you're crying onto your keyboard in frustration. :p

WTF you talking about? Crying? About what?

DreamMachine said:

ms is correcting it's mistakes and giving everyone who payed for there broken console refunds..

I mean it sucks they didn't do this in the first place.. but they learned and now they giving the one year warranty..

what else do you want?

That's not bitching. It's just pointing out facts. The fact that MS is finally doing the right thing after basically being forced into doing so. The fact that their greed caught up to them once again. And the fact that certain people are giving them props for something they should've done in the first place.

Zep

Banned
Wait a second...When I bought the extended warranty, I swore it said controllers/acessories would be replaced if broken. Arne...tell me I'm not wrong on this.

DenogginizerOS

DreamMachine said:

what else do you want?

When my system died last weekend, my faith in Microsoft's hardware faded a little. Granted, I played the system almost daily for an entire 13 months, but I wasn't expecting to have to replace my system so soon. Plus, the horror stories of refurbs really turned me off. Against a little bit of logic, I decided to purchase a brand new X360 (Best Buy matched the TRU $100 Gift Card deal and also gave me GRAW for free). My intention has always been that when I get my refurb back, I will trade it in and be done with that system and the warranty I have for it.

Now, according to the CSR I spoke with, MS has improved the original warranty by 9 months, and has extended my 2 year warranty to December of 2008. Plus, the CSR stated that the refurbs had been cleaned up to exclude the older models. Now, I think that is pretty stellar, and I applaud MS for doing this. They have now corrected 1 of the 2 complaints I had about the system at launch. (The other is backwards compatibility).

The battlestation is now fully operational. They will fire when ready. cue Vader intro music

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Crackerman16 said:
WTF you talking about? Crying? About what?

That's not bitching. It's just pointing out facts. The fact that MS is finally doing the right thing after basically being forced into doing so. The fact that their greed caught up to them once again. And the fact that certain people are giving them props for something they should've done in the first place.

So instead of telling them GJ for doing it you want us to do what? Ignore it ? Get mad and tell them off? What?

They upgraded and are refunding everyone who sent theirs in, they may have done it because they are forced to but shit atleast they are trying to right their wrong. I see nothing wrong with that.

Reave

Too bad all they're going to give us is a refurbished Xbox 360 that has just as many problems as the broken ones that we send in. They don't actually fix your broken console, they just rely on the ones they think they've patched up enough. It's still a bullshit deal either way. Either fix the 360 we gave, or give us a NEW one back.

DenogginizerOS

Reznor said:
Too bad all they're going to give us is a refurbished Xbox 360 that has just as many problems as the broken ones that we send in. They don't actually fix your broken console, they just rely on the ones they think they've patched up enough. It's still a bullshit deal either way. Either fix the 360 we gave, or give us a NEW one back.

Maybe or maybe not. According to MS, they have weeded out the problematic consoles from the refurb pile. When I get mine back, I will be sure to let everyone know what condition my refurb is in when i receive it.

Emenis said:
So instead of telling them GJ for doing it you want us to do what? Ignore it ? Get mad and tell them off? What?

They upgraded and are refunding everyone who sent theirs in, they may have done it because they are forced to but shit atleast they are trying to right there wrong. I see nothing wrong with that.

You don't get the point I'm trying to make, do you? Or is it because you might be a Xbot (I wouldn't know cuz I don't troll GAF like lots of people)?

If Nintendo and Sony didn't come out with their systems and given the expected, industry standard 1 year warranty, then MS would've continued to assrape X360 owners with their ridiculous $140+ repair fees for THEIR mistake (in making a faulty/inferior quality product). MS was basically making people buy half of another X360 due to their own mistakes and wouldn't have changed their 3 month warranty policy if it wasn't for Nintendo, Sony, and the lawsuits they had on their hands.

My point is that MS is an unethical, greedy company and we shouldn't support or even praise their business practices. They may put out a good gaming system, but it's quality is complete BS. No praise should be given to MS for giving consumers what they deserved in the first place and for them trying to cover their asses after a year of this crap.

Reave

DenogginizerOS said:
Maybe or maybe not. According to MS, they have weeded out the problematic consoles from the refurb pile. When I get mine back, I will be sure to let everyone know what condition my refurb is in when i receive it.
I really doubt it. When it comes to their refurbished 360's, all MS has ever done is preach about how tried and true the refurbs were, when the failure rate on them were widely known as being terrible. I'm not buying the whole "no really, this time we mean it!" demeanor MS has with their new and improved refurbs. It sounds like the same song and dance.

arne

Crackerman16 said:
My point is that MS is an unethical, greedy company and we shouldn't support or even praise their business practices. They may put out a good gaming system, but it's quality is complete BS. No praise should be given to MS for giving consumers what they deserved in the first place and for them trying to cover their asses after a year of this crap.

sounds like you have a bias.

nobody I work with is unethical or greedy.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
arne said:

I was about to say the exact same thing it sounds like he doesnt like MS either way.

Just ignore him keep the thread alive.

Oh and btw, I forgot to mention how Sony FIXED my PS2 and didn't give me a crappy refurbed one 2 years AFTER my warranty expired FOR FREE. I had one of the original PS2 models and it kept giving me the DREs. They fixed that problem, fixed other little things I didn't even tell them about, and cleaned the entire thing for me. The only thing I had to pay for was $20 shipping it to them. They shipped it back to me for free 2 weeks later. Now that's quality customer service.

arne said:

LMAO... like you don't have a bias yourself? You friggin' WORK for MS. You wouldn't say anything bad about them as long as they continue to give you a paycheck. Give me a break.
And I highly doubt you're an exec., making all these decisions...

Emenis said:
I was about to say the exact same thing it sounds like he doesnt like MS either way.

Just ignore him keep the thread alive.

I kinda like MS for Windows, since I use it everyday. But as a console maker, nope, not at all.

You can be ignorant all you want, but the facts will remain. People who aren't blinded by "fanboyism" and/or loyalty already know what kind of a company MS is.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Believe me I wish I could. Do you mind chilling out for a bit? MS does a good thing so hey perfect time to be completely negative about them? Interesting

I just don't like what MS does to consumers. From them ditching Xbox 3 years after release to their whole X360 hardware issues and repair fees, and my friends having broken X360s, not being able to play them and bitching about paying for repairs and waiting for them to fix it, I get a little worked up.

I really would buy a X360, but MS keep giving me reasons not to. This 1 year warranty thing may be good news for current X360 owners, but it also shows that they were wrong in the first place and it's nothing out of the ordinary in today's market.

DenogginizerOS

UPDATE: More good news. If you (like me) bought a Product Replacement Plan from Best Buy, you now have a FULL YEAR from the date that plan was purchased to walk into a Best Buy store and swap out your broken system for a new one. The way their plan works is that they will allow this swap as long as the product is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Since this warranty is now a year, this has been upgraded.

However, if you are more than a year out from the Date of Purchase, then Best Buy will have you send the X360 to them, and they will mail you a voucher for the FULL amount of the cost of your system to be used on ANYTHING in the store.

Not a bad insurance policy and definitely a good reason to shop at Best Buy.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Christ Microsoft, welcome to the 21st century, one year too late.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that MS has now decided to formally stop screwing over their own userbase, especially when they've actually got a good thing going and just maybe, might want to avoid shooting themselves in the foot.

But it took this long? Ho-lee-shizzlenits.

Klocker

CPaladino said:
I dunno man, if you try and take one of my chicken nuggets - I flip out.

:lol

MS greed, confirmed!

OTOH I do poke people through the hand with a fork if they go near my plate ;)

3rdman

Crackerman16 said:
LMAO... like you don't have a bias yourself? You friggin' WORK for MS. You wouldn't say anything bad about them as long as they continue to give you a paycheck. Give me a break.

I kinda like MS for Windows, since I use it everyday. But as a console maker, nope, not at all.

You can be ignorant all you want, but the facts will remain. People who aren't blinded by "fanboyism" and/or loyalty already know what kind of a company MS is.

Who the hell are you to give arne shit???? Did he piss in your cereal because I've only known him to be a considerate and honest poster here...Who the hell are you?

Zep

Banned
DaddyZ said:
Wait a second...When I bought the extended warranty, I swore it said controllers/acessories would be replaced if broken. Arne...tell me I'm not wrong on this.

GhaleonEB

bishoptl said:
Smarten up.
why don't you just ban me, bish.

one less mindless xbot defending the hive. obviously i'm so stupid to dislike direct leaks to neogaf. obviously working for Intel (where our roadmap is often leaked) has nothing to do with my opinion that leaks are bad. clearly I'm some corporate shill. i'm accused of being an xbot in every ****ing thread I post in, despite efforts (though tainted lately with post-surgery narcotics, which are hard to fight through) to be reasonable.

just ****ing get rid of me if I'm so bad.

GhaleonEB said:

one less mindless xbot defending the hive. obviously i'm so stupid to dislike direct leaks to neogaf. obviously working for Intel (where our roadmap is often leaked) has nothing to do with my opinion that leaks are bad. clearly I'm some corporate shill. i'm accused of being an xbot in every ****ing thread I post in, despite efforts (though tainted lately with post-surgery narcotics, which are hard to fight through) to be reasonable.

Interesting. I understand where you're coming from but this is not my place to say.

Crackerman16 said:

Jesus shut the fuck up already and go back to whatever hole you crawled out of.

Mention MGS around here and you'll be banned but I guess it's ok to act like this retard. Brilliant.

arne said:

Your answer is:

Thanks for the clarification. I figured that it probably would, but I just wanted to be sure. Oh and I never got any warranty documentation in the first place ;)

arne

DaddyZ said:

I don't have the extended warranty in front of me, so I dunno. I have to go look for one.

I think controllers and accessories are covered under an independent 90 day warranty though. don't quote me on that.

FightyF

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Don't worry dude, I got your back!

If anyone says anything you don't like, PM me and I'll **** him up the ass!

*self high five*

Seriously, you'd be missed...most people here don't play games, they just talk about it. We'll keep in touch over Live if you do get banned.

DoctorWho said:
Just called now, they are sending me a box.
Who's that at the door? Oh, hi Bill. You have a present for me? It's in the box? Can I see... ohhhh... uhh, nice thought, but not really what I was after.

I just had to pay em like $100 for a repair about 2-3 months ago from my xbox i bought last jan.. If I call em I should be getting that refunded now right?

Top Bottom