• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear 20th Anniversary website opens

Orlics

MiamiWesker said:
The crazy ones are the ones that think MGS2 was better than MGS3.

I am one of those "crazy ones." Instead of typing up my objections to MGS3, I'll copy and paste a very similar viewpoint to mine (except I didn't care much about the voice acting, since I don't expect much in video games in general). And I quote,

Kojima confirmed before the game was released that because of complaints from MGS2, he was simplifying the storyline. This came off terribly, because the game was left with a shallow plot, and roughly three meaningful characters. There was an absolute lack of any plot twists, there was very little meaningful character interaction (pretty much just between Snake and Ocelot and Snake and The Boss), and the horrid style of "don't reveal anything at all until the end of the game, where we dump it all on the player's head for full effect!" makes it all come off as forced and unnecessary, and ruins what could have been a touching ending scene.

Not to mention that because of the "simplified storyline," the whole plot was revealed in the trailers months before the game was released.

The gameplay was overhyped, promised to completely change how you play MGS, when in actuality, it added two new moves to Snake's arsenal, and made you go through boring menu navigation to change camouflage (which there were too many of that were useless). The Cure System was said to be a vital part of the gameplay, yet it could be avoided entirely (in fact, it's best to avoid it, because if you let wounds heal naturally, your life bar grows longer).

The voice acting was far below the bar that MGS and MGS2 established within the series. Hayter's voice was unnecessarily different, when he was supposed to sound exactly like Snake, Lori Alan was on again/off again in how well she could sound like a touching figure, or a person reading lines, and Neil Ross couldn't decide whether he wanted to sound like a sophisticated 2D Bond villain, or Bluto from Popeye. The Cobra Unit sounded like an assorted group of supervillains from an 80s cartoon.

The only standouts in performance are Josh Keaton as Ocelot, Jim Piddick as Major Zero (though he was effectively doing what he does in every role and playing himself, so take it as you will), and the woman who used the alias Suzetta Minet, who played EVA.

its just that the plot in MGs2 was eye-rollingly LAME (towards the end when the story twisted and turned into a crazy narrative that was "OUT THERE" and a bit FAR REACHING in terms of plausibility.....in fact the only thing missing from the end of MGS2 were the space aliens to come and abduct Raiden *rolls eyes*) not to mention the weak ending (manhattan tourist video? wtf). also the MG Ray boss fights at the end felt more like filler material than anything else. and the fact that you spent 80% of the game as raiden should be considered a crime

xemumanic

icarus-daedelus said:
I know, dude! I quoted that post because of the surprising amount of people in this thread who think that at least part of MGS2 was better than MGS3. Which just ain't true, much as I like MGS2. But, uh, this thread is about spreading the MGS collection love, or something. Spread the love!

Does it say on that site what kind of PC it would take to run that program? It wouldn't seem like a lot, since IIRC the PS2 has relatively tiny memory/hard drive space/ram compared to modern-day PCs, but you never know. I looked around a little on the website, but it's not laid out very well, so I couldn't find anything.

Frankly, it takes the most high-end PC to run anything at 60fps on PCSX2, save for some games here and there that for some reason didn't really tax the PS2 or the emu. I just didn't want to start a whole thread about it.

icarus-daedelus said:
Does it say on that site what kind of PC it would take to run that program? It wouldn't seem like a lot, since IIRC the PS2 has relatively tiny memory/hard drive space/ram compared to modern-day PCs, but you never know. I looked around a little on the website, but it's not laid out very well, so I couldn't find anything.

You need to multiply the speccs tenfold for the PC you're running it with though, the software is optimized for PS2 and only PS2, anything else will have a hard time getting the same results.

That said, their "working" pretty much just means that the game boots up properly, if you read what they say about the progress it's still far from playable.

Orlics said:
I am one of those "crazy ones." Instead of typing up my objections to MGS3, I'll copy and paste a very similar viewpoint to mine (except I didn't care much about the voice acting, since I don't expect much in video games in general). And I quote,

Kojima confirmed before the game was released that because of complaints from MGS2, he was simplifying the storyline. This came off terribly, because the game was left with a shallow plot, and roughly three meaningful characters. There was an absolute lack of any plot twists, there was very little meaningful character interaction (pretty much just between Snake and Ocelot and Snake and The Boss), and the horrid style of "don't reveal anything at all until the end of the game, where we dump it all on the player's head for full effect!" makes it all come off as forced and unnecessary, and ruins what could have been a touching ending scene.

Not to mention that because of the "simplified storyline," the whole plot was revealed in the trailers months before the game was released.

The gameplay was overhyped, promised to completely change how you play MGS, when in actuality, it added two new moves to Snake's arsenal, and made you go through boring menu navigation to change camouflage (which there were too many of that were useless). The Cure System was said to be a vital part of the gameplay, yet it could be avoided entirely (in fact, it's best to avoid it, because if you let wounds heal naturally, your life bar grows longer).

The voice acting was far below the bar that MGS and MGS2 established within the series. Hayter's voice was unnecessarily different, when he was supposed to sound exactly like Snake, Lori Alan was on again/off again in how well she could sound like a touching figure, or a person reading lines, and Neil Ross couldn't decide whether he wanted to sound like a sophisticated 2D Bond villain, or Bluto from Popeye. The Cobra Unit sounded like an assorted group of supervillains from an 80s cartoon.

The only standouts in performance are Josh Keaton as Ocelot, Jim Piddick as Major Zero (though he was effectively doing what he does in every role and playing himself, so take it as you will), and the woman who used the alias Suzetta Minet, who played EVA.

Almost every complaint there is about story and voiceacting and hardly about gameplay, which is why we play. From my point of view every problem with MGS2 like the repetitive level design of the plant, to the less interesting boss fights, the lack of any segments outside the normal gameplay(like shooting from a car in a giant car chase or rappeling down a building while a helicopter chases you), all got fixed in MGS3. Also opening up the gameplay area has a significant impact on the way you play the game.

Anyway thats your opinion, I know many that share the same as you, like someone said its about sharing the MG love here. Happy 20th Metal Gear, here is to another 20 more.

(BTW I love MGS2, just not as much as MGS1 or MGS3, it was a slight disappointment for me.)

icarus-daedelus said:
you need a multi-cored processor.

Osorio

seeing as how i'm a metal gear junkie, i came across this analysis of the entire metal gear plot. most will not have the patience to sit through this whole thing, but i thought it was amazing. i wish i could say i wrote it. either way, if you check out gamefaqs and look up metal gear solid 3 [i think] and click on faqs/walkthroughs, you can find the analysis. a grueling 36 page godsend to those who were confused after MGS2. honestly, i bashed the game at first [like i said, i'm a metal gear junkie. who the hell is raiden? :lol ], but i did like it. the storyline actually made it interesting. it was tough. and had a helluva lot of cliffhangers. makes you want mgs4. BAD.

back to the topic, this thing will really help. you'll understand some more of the solidus things for sure, and i think anyone who thought that mgs3 had a boring plot or w/e the case is will gain a greater appreciation for the storyline.

as for that metal gear game collection, that better come to the states. i've been trying to put together a collection and while i still am trying, this will def help.

btw, if i shouldn't be whoring other sites like this, be easy. i've had trouble getting my own account here, so i'm using a friend's. just know that if its about mgs, its most likely not the original osorio. i've spoken my peace, later!

BigBoss

jett

D-Member
What do you know, it IS true. The MGS4 E3-2k6 trailer on that website has been remastered. The slowdown is completely gone and it now features TEH MOTION BLURZ.

Someone should rip it. :p

frAntic_Frog said:
whaattt??
MGS2 story = twisted incoherent muck
MGS3 story = pure classy goodness

:D

Heh

Not really. Mgs2 story is pretty great, the only problem is that Kojima felt too much at ease to act like a "God" and make fun of us gamers, which was pretty lame.

Mgs3 story isn't that great, and almost feels like it shouldn't have happened in my book. 1st, a prequel wasn't needed, and the whole game ends up wasting a form of storytelling that is far more interesting, and by that i mean, the ability to let the player discover the past of certain characters through the eyes of the main character, in this case Solid Snake.

Delivering a prequel at the time it was delivered was a big let down to me. I didn't need to know everything, i didn't need to know what made BIg Boss change sides, i didn't need to know this stuff this way.

I only played it twice, and 1st time i played i was actually about to give up halfway...which means alot to me, as i've play Mgs1/Mgs2 and even Mgs TTS multiple times.

Mgs3 is a great anyway, but it just felt, unwanted. And i guess alot of people felt like that since it did way worse than 1 and 2.

jett said:
What do you know, it IS true. The MGS4 E3-2k6 trailer on that website has been remastered. The slowdown is completely gone and it now features TEH MOTION BLURZ.

Someone should rip it. :p

link?

Reave

jett said:
I think you're right. There was no slowdown in that entire trailer.

Merovingian said:
Mgs3 is a great anyway, but it just felt, unwanted. And i guess alot of people felt like that since it did way worse than 1 and 2.

No, most casual MGS fans prefer the 3rd game over the 2nd. MGS3's lower sales were due in part of the huge backlash the series suffered from MGS2.

Red Blaster said:
No, most casual MGS fans prefer the 3rd game over the 2nd. MGS3's lower sales were due in part of the huge backlash the series suffered from MGS2.

Yeah but there was, from what i saw, a lack of interest for MGS in the 70s. There was...

Red Blaster said:

I think MGS2's greater sales have more to do with it being the first AAA title for the PS2. By the time MGS3 came out the PS2 install base was 5x as large as it was when MGS2 came out, but there were also countless other great titles by then.

I don't think Gears of War would have sold as many copies if it had come out in September 2007, and Halo 3 had came out in November 2006.

Wow not only does the gameplay part runs on better frame rate, they improved the sparks as well! Good work Kojima Productions!

And the motion blur is sick!

4y8nytt.jpg

better particle effects as well (wall being destroyed)

Doom_Bringer said:
Wow not only does the gameplay part runs on better frame rate, they improved the sparks as well! Good work Kojima Productions!

4y8nytt.jpg
When I watched it yesterday I wondered how long it would take for you to comment on it.

gogogow

Doom_Bringer said:

better particle effects as well (wall being destroyed)
Also, the colors are much more natural compared to the yellow-ish IGN HD trailer.

Now when the metal gear shoots the wall you get FEAR like particle effects! WOWOWOWOW. Finally someone gets it! This bolds well for the in game stuff

VonGak! said:
That's because the new video is from the 360 version :p J/K

Anyway it looks like they only re-mastered the E3 trailer. The TGS one still has some noticeable frame rate issues. God I can't wait to see the new trailer, I hope it's at E3. And I hope it has the new version of the Metal Gear theme as it's score.

MickeyKnox said:

Anyway it looks like they only re-mastered the E3 trailer. The TGS one still has some noticeable frame rate issues. God I can't wait to see the new trailer, I hope it's at E3. And I hope it has the new version of the Metal Gear theme as it's score.

that's probably because the gameplay looks way better now. Remastering it wouldn't do it justice, they would probably have to make a whole new trailer. TGS trailer was totally alpha! From the place holder animations to goofy ai..ran kinda slow and other problems.

Doom_Bringer said:
that's probably because the gameplay looks way better now. Remastering it wouldn't do it justice, they would probably have to make a whole new trailer. TGS trailer was totally alpha! From the place holder animations to goofy ai..ran kinda slow and other problems.
I just want a new trailer.
And it needs to have the new version of the theme, seriously, if it's not at E3 I might start killing one kitten a day everyday until they show it to me.

MickeyKnox said:
I just want a new trailer.
And it needs to have the new version of the theme, seriously, if it's not at E3 I might start killing one kitten a day everyday until they show it to me.

oh don't worry! Konami has a pre E3 press conference and it will definitely be shown there. And adding to that, Ryan (the guy who hosts Kojima Productions podcast) said their plan is to shown MGS4 only at big shows like E3 and TGS.

It will be there 100%

VonGak!

Banned
MickeyKnox said:

As stated I was just kidding even though the eDRAM allows for more particles.

When that is said, I'm a bit blown away by the people who act surprised over the particle effects as it has been a strong aspect of MGS graphics since MGS2 (again and again Kojima has told about how he prefers to lower texture and polygon details to free up performance for these).

Plus we saw a heavy use of particle effects in the TGS gameplay trailer (all the sand) where no one bothered to mention it.

VonGak! said:
As stated I was just kidding even though the eDRAM allows for more particles.

When that is said, I'm a bit blown away by the people who act surprised over the particle effects as it has been a strong aspect of MGS graphics since MGS2 (again and again Kojima has told about how he prefers to lower texture and polygon details to free up performance for these).

Plus we saw a heavy use of particle effects in the TGS gameplay trailer (all the sand) where no one bothered to mention it.

Sand counts as particle effects? Well that's news to me :-D Anyway those trailer were ho-hum. I am just glad they implemented this stuff! Plus you are correct, one of the strongest aspects of MGS games is the particle effects and it has been so since MGS2. I really shouldn't have doubted them like I did last year...

I really hope there is some next gen rain in this one *crosses fingers

VonGak!

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
TGS trailer was totally alpha! From the place holder animations

Dunno if we can call it placeholder, seems more like a lack of finished animations.

Kojima has talked about animation blending (without mentioning it by name) and looking and how the character models moved it's obvious that they have jointed limbs.

I would say it's more like watching Uncharted at an even earlier stage in development.

VonGak!

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Sand counts as particle effects? Well that's news to me :-D Anyway those trailer were ho-hum. I am just glad they implemented this stuff! Plus you are correct, one of the strongest aspects of MGS games is the particle effects and it has been so since MGS2. I really shouldn't have doubted them like I did last year...

I really hope there is some next gen rain in this one *crosses fingers

Sand blowing/flying around in the air. :)

VonGak! said:
Dunno if we can call it placeholder, seems more like a lack of finished animations.

Kojima has talked about animation blending (without mentioning it by name) and looking and how the character models moved it's obvious that they have jointed limbs.

I would say it's more like watching Uncharted at an even earlier stage in development.

I am just going with the flow. Some people on this forum (SSX and Dark10X) suggested the animations were ripped from MGS3.

vpance

BigBoss said:
Or you could just go to playscope and download the direct feed 720p TGS '06 trailer.

Thanks. Didnt know there was a direct feed version. Your link didnt work but i found it on the site.

How do I download the trailer to my hard-drive?

It's all Flash.. there might be a way to extract the movie from it. Not easy though i think.

I noticed that they added more smoke in the trailer too. Looks more real now as well.

Jahaya

Banned
The self shadowing looks a lot better too! Wow someone change the thread to notify about "new" MGS4 trailers. These are not remastered because everything is in realtime and will end up in the game.

Just finished analyzing the full trailer, here is what they have added/improved:

Better sparks
Better particle effects
Better frame rate but still not locked?! (or is it my computer slowing down?)
More sand/dirt in air
Better self shadowing
Motion Blur - only during gameplay (The part where Snake gets attacked by two Metal Gears - I think Kojima was controlling it)
One effect added - Electricity - when Raiden chows down 10 - 12 metal gears
color is a bit better! - doesn't have super greenish tint like before

KurowaSan said:

good work!

USD said:
If they bring this over to the US, they had better upgrade 1, 2, and 3 to Integral, Substance, and Subsistence (respectively of course). Otherwise I'd only be half-interested.

Considering the hate MGS3 got for the camera in "vanilla", I can't really see how they could justify putting that version in there. And if they do it for 3 they'll have to do it for 2.

Or so I hope. :p

jett

D-Member
Doom_Bringer said:
Just finished analyzing the full trailer, here is what they have added/improved:

Better sparks
Better particle effects
Better frame rate but still not locked?! (or is it my computer slowing down?)
More sand/dirt in air
Better self shadowing
Motion Blur - only during gameplay (The part where Snake gets attacked by two Metal Gears - I think Kojima was controlling it)
One effect added - Electricity - when Raiden chows down 10 - 12 metal gears
color is a bit better! - doesn't have super greenish tint like before

good work!

Framerate and motion blur aside, it looks exactly the same to me.

Top Bottom