• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear 20th Anniversary website opens

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Damn, the new remastered trailer definitely looks improved because of motion blur and has much, much better framerate. I just really hope these improvements are *real* and not some post-production added stuff. I think it's all real, motion blur doesn't look post-production perfect and there are still some framerate drops, but what seems like 10x less than before.

jett said:
Framerate and motion blur aside, it looks exactly the same to me.

Watch the original trailer again. The gun fights looks much better now! The sparks, dirt and debris makes everything more intense.

I will do a before and after screen comparison after I take care of some business. It should go up by 3:30 or 4 PM EST

bud

it's probably not gonna happend but i'd really want snake to die at the end of mgs4, it would be the ultimate closure to snake's story.

Jahaya

Banned
Watch the scene when the gecko burst through the wall, it is much better now.
The improvements are subtle but they are there.

The debris is definitely on par if not better than it was in the original TGS trailer. The amount and varying size of the chunks of wall that get blown apart and are physics controlled is ****ing amazing.

Marconelly said:
Damn, the new remastered trailer definitely looks improved because of motion blur and has much, much better framerate. I just really hope these improvements are *real* and not some post-production added stuff. I think it's all real, motion blur doesn't look post-production perfect and there are still some framerate drops, but what seems like 10x less than before.

Download the 90 MB trailer linked on the previous page. There aren't any frame rate drops in that one

Oh and the self shadows haven't been fixed, the jaggie shadows are still present in certain areas

Zenith

Banned
Can someone compare the craters, bullet holes, wall breaking with the old trailer? One of Kojima's interviews mentioned how environment destruction would be different every cutscene because it used the game engine's dynamic destruction instead of just scripting it.

Zenith said:
One of Kojima's interviews mentioned how environment destruction would be different every cutscene because it used the game engine's dynamic destruction instead of just scripting it.

I don't know about cutscene but the game does have destructible environments. He said not everything will be destructible because the PS3 has it's limits but you will be able to destroy some stuff.

We will have to wait for him to clear it up :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Doom_Bringer said:
Download the 90 MB trailer linked on the previous page. There aren't any frame rate drops in that one
Yeah, you are right, it was dropping frames on the website because there was a lot of other flash objects running there at the same time. Seems to be pretty almost perfect when watched as a separate file, which to be honest is a bit suspect :\

Still, there are frame drops for example in that scene when Snake is standing up to light a cigarette after he's been camouflaged to avoid the attack of two MGs. It could be because it's real, realtime engine footage, or it could be flash video encoding dropping frames to keep image quality, who knows...

Marconelly said:
Yeah, you are right, it was dropping frames on the website because there was a lot of other flash objects running there at the same time. Seems to be pretty much perfect when watched as a separate file, which to be honest is a bit suspect :\

Kojima Productions doesn't lie or deceive. Pretty much all the cut scenes since MGS2 have been interactive in some way (pressing R1 to zoom in etc). Why would they implement features like motion blur and better more intense gun fights only for cut scenes? They have never done that.., and they are the masters of particle effects!

BTW I the part with the motion blur was gameplay IMO with cinematic camera angles

bud

the only difference i saw was in the framerate. during the chase you can definitely see that's much more smooth now, but that's all i can see.

would somebody care to do a comparison?

Doom_Bringer said:
Kojima Productions doesn't lie or deceive. Pretty much all the cut scenes since MGS2 have been interactive in some way (pressing R1 to zoom in etc). Why would they implement features like motion blur and better more intense gun fights only for cut scenes? They have never done that.., and they are the masters of particle effects!

BTW I the part with the motion blur was gameplay IMO with cinematic camera angles

They've done that since Mgs2. There's usually quite a bit of post processing effects on cutcenes that are not found while playing. And generally the framerate is affected by it, as you can notice the difference from cutcene to gameplay.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Merovingian said:
They've done that since Mgs2. There's usually quite a bit of post processing effects on cutcenes that are not found while playing. And generally the framerate is affected by it, as you can notice the difference from cutcene to gameplay.
They've done that since MGS1 actually. There was a lot of post-processing effects in it's cut scenes that weren't there in gameplay.

I'm not talking about that though, I'm talking about this new trailer possibly not even being 100% realtime, but "sped-up" in the post-processing so that there wouldn't be any frame drops, and with added off-line motion blur. Like what they did with that first Heavenly Sword trailer for example.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Watching those trailers again got me super hyped...this game is going to be monumental.

How does one play .flv files?

Y2Kev said:
Watching those trailers again got me super hyped...this game is going to be monumental.

I've been trying my best to keep my hype at a minimum for the past 2 years. I must say I'm really bad at that. E3 isn't going to help. At all.

bud

i just finished watching it for the 12th time or so and i'm wondering: who the hell did the music? it's really freaking beautiful. i guess it's not done by hgw since it's not really a hgw-esque soundtrack.

brandon - dload the vlc player

Marconelly said:
They've done that since MGS1 actually. There was a lot of post-processing effects in it's cut scenes that weren't there in gameplay.

I'm not talking about that though, I'm talking about this new trailer possibly not even being 100% realtime, but "sped-up" in the post-processing so that there wouldn't be any frame drops, and with added off-line motion blur. Like what they did with that first Heavenly Sword trailer for example.

You know...i was going to say Mgs1, but i just couldn't remember :lol

brandonh83 said:
How does one play .flv files?
Just use VLC since it supports everything under the sun and you can run multiple instances.

I just finished watching the two trailers side by side and the frame rate differences is night and day through out the whole trailer not just the chase.

Also note that they cut out about a minute's worth of the old TGS footage that was in the original E3 trailer.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
SpotAnime said:
4kwms1h.gif

Y2Kev

I mean, I cannot believe how good the graphics are (at least in the cutscenes, we'll just stick to that to avoid naysayers.)

It's unreal. It's like nothing out there in the way it moves, the way it looks, the facial animation and expression...

This game is just going to blow everyone's mind and I'm so excited.

Y2Kev

I wonder what the producer on the MGS series has to do :lol

"Hideo, are you in budget?"
"No."
"Uh...okay. How about time? How are you doing?"
"I need another year."
"Uh...."
"I'll take my coffee black."

Merovingian said:

PS3 is a different beast. And I hope you aren't suggesting PS3 can't do sparks or motion blur....

VonGak!

Banned
bud said:
Hey it's just the way it was, only the PS2 (plus xBox and GC) had the performance needed to pull of the cut-scenes in real-time. :)

All the sweet Ninja action had to be in FMVs but Kojima used the in-game assets so the gamers were't taken out of the um... fancy word... by a big change in visuals.

MickeyKnox said:
Just use VLC since it supports everything under the sun and you can run multiple instances.

I just finished watching the two trailers side by side and the frame rate differences is night and day through out the whole trailer not just the chase.

Also note that they cut out about a minute's worth of the old TGS footage that was in the original E3 trailer.

Thanks. :)

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Y2Kev said:
I mean, I cannot believe how good the graphics are (at least in the cutscenes, we'll just stick to that to avoid naysayers.)

It's unreal. It's like nothing out there in the way it moves, the way it looks, the facial animation and expression...

This game is just going to blow everyone's mind and I'm so excited.

It's still the best looking next-gen game

[speculation mode on]They redid the whole trailer with an updated engine to improve framerate and add motion blur but they didn't change the 2007 release date[speculation mode off]

Doom_Bringer said:
PS3 is a different beast. And I hope you aren't suggesting PS3 can't do sparks or motion blur....

Dude.

You said something didn't you? Well i corrected what you said. I didn't say anything exterior to that.

And comparing the videos, side by side, i only noticed one big difference, which was the framerate. Then there's a minimal diferense, which is the particle effects, that are only noticeable in rare occasions, there's a scene where the guy is sniping people from the window, in the new video there's smoke on the streets, in the old one the smoke isn't there.

Huge ****ing difference? Let's not go hyperbole on this shit. The high heels are still gay.

Merovingian said:
I can't make the comparison of e306 20th version to the original because they are edited completely different.
No they are not.
They only edited out the 1 minute of old TGS footage at the beginning of the old E3 trailer. The rest is identical.

Vagrant

VonGak! said:
Hey it's just the way it was, only the PS2 (plus xBox and GC) had the performance needed to pull of the cut-scenes in real-time. :)

All the sweet Ninja action had to be in FMVs but Kojima used the in-game assets so the gamers were't taken out of the um... fancy word... by a big change in visuals.

You are incorrect, the original MGS didn't use FMV for cutscenes (except for the real world and Policenaughts segments). For proof play it in a emulator/PS2 with higher resolution/texture smoothing on. You'll notice the cutscenes are improved just like the gameplay, if the cutscenes were FMV they would still be in a low resolution with blocky textures.

DigitalSoul said:
There was like 2 [obvious] FMV scenes in MGS1. Otherwise, gameplay/cut-scenes were all in real-time.
The only "FMV" (god I hate that term) scenes in any of the Metal Gear Solid games are the real world footage of nukes, war, etc.. [with the exception of the cg intro to the PS1 VR missions expansion.]

Weird, VLC won't play the video for some reason. Meh meh meh.

edit: it's an outdated version, dl the new one, maybe that'll work

VonGak!

Banned
DigitalSoul said:
There was like 2 [obvious] FMV scenes in MGS1. Otherwise, gameplay/cut-scenes were all in real-time.

:) Would be nice if the interviews back then were still accessible like the one where Kojima told about finally being able to do the cut-scene action in real time on PS2.

This is not legit and I won't endorse it but people who really want to know can just find a ripped version of the PC games where FMVs were removed to save space (piracy FTL, you'll only end up hurting the games you care about).

MickeyKnox said:
The only "FMV" (god I hate that term) scenes in any of the Metal Gear Solid games are the real world footage of nukes, war, etc.. [with the exception of the cg intro to the PS1 VR missions expansion.]

The was also one during the scene with otacon where he was talking about anime and mechs.

Ceb

VonGak! said:
want to know can just find a ripped version of the PC games where FMVs were removed to save space (piracy FTL, you'll only end up hurting the games you care about).

Well, they don't show up as .str files on the PSone discs like FMV usually did.

Merovingian said:
Huge ****ing difference? Let's not go hyperbole on this shit. The high heels are still gay.

Who said huge ****ing difference? God these xbots are disillusionall as hell. I just pointed out what they have improved.

DieH@rd

Banned
Holy Crab! I'm Downloading new trailer ASAP!

DigitalSoul said:

The only FMV videos in any mgs game are REAL LIFE videos.
- Launching of nuclear rockets in MGS1 [Darpa Chief briefing]
- Streets of New York in MGS2 [near the end of game]
- forgot what it was in MGS3, probably some cold war shit.

VonGak!

Banned
Ceb said:
Well, they don't show up as .str files on the PSone discs like FMV usually did.

I only remember what I read and how I agreed with Kojima in the change from cut-scene to gamplay graphics should be as subtle as possible so the gamer isn't taken out of the *fancy word*.

But there's no way of me improving this so... :)

Downloading the new trailer rignt now (thanks for the heads-up everyone!). I'm in the middle of converting some episodes of House for use on my PSP and I'll definitely be adding this trailer onto my memory stick.

neptunes

DieH@rd said:
Holy Crab! I'm Downloading new trailer ASAP!

The only FMV videos in any mgs game are REAL LIFE videos.
- Launching of nuclear rockets in MGS1 [Darpa Chief briefing]
- Streets of New York in MGS2 [near the end of game]
- forgot what it was in MGS3, probably some cold war shit.
wasn't there one other game related fmv in mgs2? (outside the opening movie)

VonGak!

Banned
neptunes said:
wasn't there one other game related fmv in mgs2? (outside the opening movie)

There were a few others like when they used a clip from the E3 trailer as flash back for the tanker level. :)

jett

D-Member
VonGak! said:
:) Would be nice if the interviews back then were still accessible like the one where Kojima told about finally being able to do the cut-scene action in real time on PS2.

This is not legit and I won't endorse it but people who really want to know can just find a ripped version of the PC games where FMVs were removed to save space (piracy FTL, you'll only end up hurting the games you care about).

Shut it already, all the cut-scenes in MGS1 for PS1 are real-time.

Top Bottom