• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

For new page and the ones just now downloading it

How to be a BADASS in Rising Demo
http://youtu.be/xYGIRVeVY24?t=1m7s <---MGSR TUTORIAL on Moveset
(In Japanese, but you can figure out which buttons represent the moves)

last time I'll post it.... unless some needs help later :p

EDIT: Stuck at work.... Is the PSN US demo up yet?

FStop7

Banned
the contextually sensitive nu metal boss battle music is perhaps the greatest thing I've seen in a video game in years.

jett

D-Member
Grace Chen...

idmuajLFLZirF.gif

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Time will pass by slower if you keep your eyes glued to this thread waiting for the second it uploads!

meta4

Oh how I loathe her...

ha ha. She can be infuriating sometimes.

For the ppl who have played the demo I see some are comparing it to NG. How does the difficulty compare? I read a few comments that this game can get really hard. Is it really that difficult?

Mupod

$40 no tax 13 month xbox live cards at futureshop...you win this time Microsoft. Well, time to download my demo.

Majukun

ha ha. She can be infuriating sometimes.

For the ppl who have played the demo I see some are comparing it to NG. How does the difficulty compare? I read a few comments that this game can get really hard. Is it really that difficult?

no,in fact is easy,but enemies do a lot of damage,especially the ones with the rocket launchers.
all depends on how well you menage the battle and if you first use stealth to clear the battlefield from the most annoying enemies.

anyway..in the level there are three items that automatically revives you if you die,so beat the demo shouldn't be that difficult.

TheOGB

Banned
Found the cardboard box and giant watermelon in the VR training. This shit is fun, even if that mecha wolf at the end always wrecks my shit :p

Slide move is so good.
Parrying also. Whenever I see red I mash that shit out.

I love how the frame-rate dies after slicing something enough times. No wonder the first demo was locking up consoles.

Skilletor

The camera owned me in the fight vs. the dog thing, lol.

Is there an animation if you whiff a parry? What exactly is the command for it. It says LS + X. Is that any direction + X? Is it press any direction + X, or hold LS in any direction and press X? I've done a parry, but I'm not getting it consistently.

SoCoRoBo

Is there an animation if you whiff a parry? What exactly is the command for it. It says LS + X. Is that any direction + X? Is it press any direction + X, or hold LS in any direction and press X? I've done a parry, but I'm not getting it consistently.

The parry thing is screwing with my zen in a major way. Can't seem to get it at all against the Bleadewolf and I'm probably more successful without the lock-on. Anyone any tips on when/how to block? Can you hold light attack to parry or is the timing window just really small?

Dabanton

I think the orange flash is warning you an enemy is going to strike.

I enjoyed the demo and will probably buy the game but I didn't find the gekkos particularly fun to fight. Didn't know what I was doing throughout the entire demo.

I think my problem is that blade mode feels like something left over from the previous game that just doesn't fit well with Platinum's style. I don't know if they kept it because it defined rising or because Konami wanted them too but I'd prefer the game a lot more without it.

I hear ya. It does seem to pull you out of the fast pace of the game. Oddly enough, it transitions smoothly when you're low on power, imo.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It's towards the enemy attack + light attack

Parry can only be activated during an enemies attack, which are usually signaled by the enemy glowing orange.(at least when an attack can be parried. I'm p sure the grunts don't glow orange when they throw grenades as those can't be parried)

You can get a follow up slash that tends to stun enemies by timing the parry more closely to when the attack actually connects.(bayonetta MoMK counter hit, although it's not quite as tight) but as soon as you see an orange glow Raiden can take a blocking stance with parry.

So to answer your question you can't really "whiff" parry but I'm not sure there's a certain range, so I've had certain situations where Raiden would take the blocking stance and the enemy attack would whiff.

But you can't do it when there is no incoming attack.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Grace, all I want is MGR and Sly 4 demos. pls stahp

Replace Sly 4 with DOA5's DLC and Beach stage and yeah, this is the first update in a month that I'm hyped for and like every update I'm hyped for Chen Tiem (TM Kass) makes it's appearance to where it'll be midnight before it's uploaded.

something isn't clicking with me and the combat at the moment trying to be realistic and not a fanboy but i might have to give the demo a few more rounds.

meta4

It's towards the enemy attack + light attack

Parry can only be activated during an enemies attack, which are usually signaled by the enemy glowing orange.(at least when an attack can be parried. I'm p sure the grunts don't glow orange when they throw grenades as those can't be parried)

You can get a follow up slash that tends to stun enemies by timing the parry more closely to when the attack actually connects.(bayonetta MoMK counter hit, although it's not quite as tight) but as soon as you see an orange glow Raiden can take a blocking stance with parry.

So to answer your question you can't really "whiff" parry but I'm not sure there's a certain range, so I've had certain situations where Raiden would take the blocking stance and the enemy attack would whiff.

But you can't do it when there is no incoming attack.

So I thought every successful parry will leave the opponent stunned and open to attacks and If the timing is not correct Raiden will just block. Is my understanding correct?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So I thought every successful parry will leave the opponent stunned and open to attacks and If the timing is not correct Raiden will just block. Is my understanding correct?

Correct

Except that not every successful parry counter attack will stun. It will on the regular grunts, but I think on Gekkos and LQ-84i it either depends on the attack parried or how much damage they've sustained. or maybe even just how the counter attack connects I haven't played enough to be sure.

meta4

Correct

Except that not every successful parry counter attack will stun. It will on the regular grunts, but I think on Gekkos and LQ-84i it either depends on the attack parried or how much damage they've sustained.

Ah gotcha. Thanks a lot! One last question - How easy is it to parry? Is the window too small or is it manageable. I know a lot of this depends on how skilled one is but just thought I would ask since some people were reporting difficulty in parrying. Waiting for the demo to come up on PSN is excruciating.

no,in fact is easy,but enemies do a lot of damage,especially the ones with the rocket launchers.
all depends on how well you menage the battle and if you first use stealth to clear the battlefield from the most annoying enemies.

anyway..in the level there are three items that automatically revives you if you die,so beat the demo shouldn't be that difficult.

Thank you!

TheOGB

Banned
So I got the hang of parries and beat LQ-84i. I was too busy slicing before to notice the eye glow signifying an enemy attack. :p

Okay, so here's a break down of a few concepts I'm seeing people having trouble with.

Q. How does parrying work?

A. Pressing the analog stick forward, towards the enemy (toward in relation to the characters, not the camera) and light/wide attack (X on 360 or Square on PS3) will cause Raiden to parry. You can do this move at any time that there is an incoming attack from said enemy, and the window for doing it is actually the entirety of said enemies attack animation. For example, the default enemies do a little spin and jump and attack you, as soon as they start said spin, you can start the parry, and Riaden will hold his sword out the entire time.

If you in fact, parry perfectly, that is, parry so that the sword comes out and hits the oncoming attack as a parry (and it doesn't look like a blocK) then Raiden will slash forward on his own, often causing enough damage or stun to allow for an execution move.

Q. Is there a dodge?

A. Yes. It can be performed by hitting X+A(360) or Square + X (PS3) and a direction. If you are pushing forward, Raiden will do a jumping slash that will move him forward. The other directions will have him slash and hop into that direction, either back, or to either side.

Q. How about Lock-on?

A. RB/R2 Will lock on to your opponent. Your currently targeted or nearest enemy always has a white target symbol on them. Hitting this button will make it turn orange and force the camera to keep them on screen regardless of how you move around the stage. To change targets, de-lock by hitting the button, move to a new enemy till they have the white marker, and hit the button again. It's particularly useful against the Gekkos and Bladewolf, in fact, Bladewolf starts the battle locked on, and you only lose it when he brings in more enemies.

meta4

Okay, so here's a break down of a few concepts I'm seeing people having trouble with.

A. Pressing the analog stick forward, towards the enemy (toward in relation to the characters, not the camera) and light/wide attack (X on 360 or Square on PS3) will cause Raiden to parry. You can do this move at any time that there is an incoming attack from said enemy, and the window for doing it is actually the entirety of said enemies attack animation. For example, the default enemies do a little spin and jump and attack you, as soon as they start said spin, you can start the parry, and Riaden will hold his sword out the entire time.

If you in fact, parry perfectly, that is, parry so that the sword comes out and hits the oncoming attack as a parry (and it doesn't look like a blocK) then Raiden will slash forward on his own, often causing enough damage or stun to allow for an execution move.

Q. Is there a dodge?

A. Yes. It can be performed by hitting X+A(360) or Square + Triangle (PS3) and a direction. If you are pushing forward, Raiden will do a jumping slash that will move him forward. The other directions will have him slash and hop into that direction, either back, or to either side.

Q. How about Lock-on?

A. RB/R2 Will lock on to your opponent. Your currently targeted or nearest enemy always has a white target symbol on them. Hitting this button will make it turn orange and force the camera to keep them on screen regardless of how you move around the stage. To change targets, de-lock by hitting the button, move to a new enemy till they have the white marker, and hit the button again. It's particularly useful against the Gekkos and Bladewolf, in fact, Bladewolf starts the battle locked on, and you only lose it when he brings in more enemies.

Thanks a lot for this post. Looking forward to the demo!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ah gotcha. Thanks a lot! One last question - How easy is it to parry? Is the window too small or is it manageable. I know a lot of this depends on how skilled one is but just thought I would ask since some people were reporting difficulty in parrying. Waiting for the demo to come up on PSN is excruciating.

It's easy. Just press towards as soon as you see an orange glow. The game is pretty good about its cues for when the player can perform certain actions.(Orange glow = attack can be parried. Blue screen pause after an attack = Zandatsu followup/enemy is vulnerable to Zandatsu.)

Getting the counter attack takes some practice, but it should come quickly for people familiar with this kind of mechanic after a bit of practice.

Q. Is there a dodge?

A. Yes. It can be performed by hitting X+A(360) or Square + Triangle (PS3) and a direction. If you are pushing forward, Raiden will do a jumping slash that will move him forward. The other directions will have him slash and hop into that direction, either back, or to either side.

Q. How about Lock-on?

this really helps, thanks for this too.

meta4

It's easy. Just press towards as soon as you see an orange glow. The game is pretty good about its cues for when the player can perform certain actions.(Orange glow = attack can be parried. Blue screen pause after an attack = Zandatsu followup/enemy is vulnerable to Zandatsu.)

Getting the counter attack takes some practice, but it should come quickly for people familiar with this kind of mechanic after a bit of practice.

Awesome. Thanks a lot!

Systems Video Explanation from the Konami youtube channel, it shows a bunch of Raiden's moves along with dodging and how to deal with missiles/grenades.

Could we post this on the top of every page or something?

The divekick canceled into stealth kill near the end is amazing

Another thing to note when fighting the scrub troops. When you're beating on their ass and they let out the orange lightening bolt, that means they're dead, which means now is the time to blade mode button mashing time. Repeat for every enemy, easy S rank.

I can't Fucking wait to play this demo. I downloaded the JPN version a few weeks ago not knowing it was locked. Pissed me off, but now I'm ready.

Ein Bear

I hope they don't region lock this one too. I know it's coming out tomorrow here anyway, but I want to download the US one on my American account tonight :p

No_Style

According to the demo the framerate is a wash(average two frame difference for the 360), however there's a lot of screen tearing on the 360, none on the PS3. Some missing special effects from the boss's attacks on the PS3 demo. And all if not most cut-scenes are FMV, and the game takes advantage of the PS3's blu-ray so you'll get much higher video quality on there.

Seems either way, doesn't matter.

So it's pretty much like Vanquish? It didn't have VSYNC either.

SkylineRKR

The fun thing about the boss is that I found you can actually launch him after a succesful parry. He doesn't really stun, but he will be open for a few hits after the counter slash. Forward+Square will unbalance him and a f,f Square launcher works during this.

Top Bottom