• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

HYDE

Banned
i4nnUuFS7REBz.jpg

My goodness this! Came in just to post my anti-patience post.

The fun thing about the boss is that I found you can actually launch him after a succesful parry. He doesn't really stun, but he will be open for a few hits after the counter slash. Forward+Square will unbalance him and a f,f Square launcher works during this.
Awesome.

HardRojo

I can't believe it's not up yet... and then you gotta add my fisher price internet to the equation... I'll probably be playing this by tomorrow afternoon.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Demo was damn good fun. However I'm unsure about how the defensive mechanics work in the game. Not so sure how I feel about the lack of rolling and the parry, seems kind of clunky to dodge attacks with the run. Maybe I just need more practice!

Watching this http://youtu.be/xYGIRVeVY24?t=1m7s is definitely informative though. Can't wait to show some of those moves when I play the demo again.

Minamu

So good! :D A bit hard to aim and I didn't grasp the block at first but I got it down pretty good by the end boss. Will buy (after trying the ps3 version).

Ricker

Demo was damn good fun. However I'm unsure about how the defensive mechanics work in the game. Not so sure how I feel about the lack of rolling and the parry, seems kind of clunky to dodge attacks with the run. Maybe I just need more practice!

Watching this http://youtu.be/xYGIRVeVY24?t=1m7s is definitely informative though. Can't wait to show some of those moves when I play the demo again.

Yeah,that's why I quit on the demo when I got beaten to a pulp when attacked by 2 of those big mechs...but I wasn't really in the mood for the demo,had Nino Kuni in mind and all hehe...I will definetly retry playing and getting good at it because I loved the presentation and fast action and all...

Astral

Blade Mode confuses me. Is there some way to tell when you can instantly kill someone with Blade Mode? Can't you technically just use it all the time and one shot everyone? Or does it not always kill them?

Blade Mode confuses me. Is there some way to tell when you can instantly kill someone with Blade Mode? Can't you technically just use it all the time and one shot everyone? Or does it not always kill them?

You can just blow up the regular guys with blade mode for free. In fact, fuck doing fancy combos on the first three guys, just abuse blade mode and make sure you get their spines, S-rank

SkylineRKR

Its just not practical to use it all the time I think. But you should be able to one shot them when you get the + symbol by lining up the sword with the middle of the target. I only use it when slow mo kicks in.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can just blow up the regular guys with blade mode for free. In fact, fuck doing fancy combos on the first three guys, just abuse blade mode and make sure you get their spines, S-rank

Holy shit, really?

Raiden Must Cry: RmC in this case.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
How is this still not up on PSN. Jesus fuck, is it this hard to upload a fucking final and push that fucking button? Doesn't help that Store search is ass-backwards these days. Cant find no mention of the damn game anywhere up on there even.

ThankeeSai

Finally beat the boss on around my 4th or so attempt. Love the parrying and the timing involved in doing it. Once you've got some moves sorted, you really do feel like a total bad ass, moving from one enemy to the next, kicking and slicing the shit out of them. Also love the counter showing how many pieces you've cut an enemy into. Brutal.

Demo impressed me and will definitely pick up the full game at some point.

.....More than likely at launch

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

There are two ways to tell:

1. Enemies or limbs of enemies will glow blue when vulnerable to Zandatsu, usually after having been damaged passed a certain threshold

2. Most, if not all of Raiden's special attacks("stinger", "red hot kick", force palm, break dance trip etc) will pause the screen similar to the way Blade Mode does when a Blade Mode follow up is possible on an enemy vulnerable to it.(Blue pause after stealth kill is basically there to let you know you can use Blade Mode now to kill)

You can see an example of how this plays out later in the game in that really recent gameplay trailer. While fighting the giant robots, Raiden does stinger vs one of them while their armor is still up and nothing happens. After removing the armor later in the fight and hitting them with the same Stinger move, the move now resulted in the blue pause signaling to the player that they can use Blade Mode now on this enemy.

Yeah, but this is also arguably the first non tutorial encounter in the game vs what is probably the weakest enemy in the game.

So it should come as no surprise that it's easy

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Parries and jumps seem to be the order of the day (Parry with direction + attack button). The run definitely seems more like a "Parkour!" button than a combat button. It's startup suprised me at first, too, but I take that as a "stop trying to run, and stand there and FIGHT!" directive, haha.

I like the idea of jumping out the way, and then using a divekick to continue the assault, personally. Lots of "death from above" style moments that way.

When they're killable in combat, I believe they get a bluish glow. Basically, alerted enemies can't be killed so easily, enemies you sneak up on can be killed any way you want. Also, if you want to collect left arms (For their memory data), and energy to sustain yourself, you don't want to turn murder into simply a mess, but a bit of an art.

3 PM and no update!? Geez usually you can search the store by 2 and find what you want. I guess it's taking longer considering Ni no Kuni is 21 GB?

This slide move is TOO good, lol. Big fight with 4 grunts and a gecko, slide into soldier for free, blade move, grab spine. Repeat on other three guys, blocking all their bullets automatically with ninja run. Parry obvious as hell Gecko attacks, mash buttons, QTE mash buttons, S-rank

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You can see an example of how this plays out later in the game in that really recent gameplay trailer. While fighting the giant robots, Raiden does stinger vs one of them while their armor is still up and nothing happens. After removing the armor later in the fight and hitting them with the same Stinger move, the move now resulted in the blue pause signaling to the player that they can use Blade Mode now on this enemy.

Examples:

No follow up Stinger: Demonstrating to player that Blade Mode is not effective vs this enemy at this time.

QTE removing armor plating of enemy

Stinger yielding blue screen pause: Demonstrating to the player that this enemy is now vulnerable to Blade Mode

Astral

There are two ways to tell:

1. Enemies or limbs of enemies will glow blue when vulnerable to Zandatsu, usually after having been damaged passed a certain threshold

2. Most, if not all of Raiden's special attacks("stinger", "red hot kick", force palm, break dance trip etc) will pause the screen similar to the way Blade Mode does when a Blade Mode follow up is possible on an enemy vulnerable to it.(Blue pause after stealth kill is basically there to let you know you can use Blade Mode now to kill)

Yeah, but this is also arguably the first non tutorial encounter in the game vs what is probably the weakest enemy in the game.

So it should come as no surprise that it's easy

Oh so the game actually slows down a bit, indicating you can use it. I haven't actually played the game, but watching gameplay made me wonder if you can just cut them up without even damaging them first. I didn't realize the game actually slowed down because the players went into Blade Mode so quickly.

This is disappointing and sadly looks easy to abuse. I'm pretty sure there's a video where all the guy does is slice everyone into a million pieces after that tripping move and earns an S-rank at the end.

Sargerus

Banned
This slide move is TOO good, lol. Big fight with 4 grunts and a gecko, slide into soldier for free, blade move, grab spine. Repeat on other three guys, blocking all their bullets automatically with ninja run. Parry obvious as hell Gecko attacks, mash buttons, QTE mash buttons, S-rank

Still better than
DmC

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Oh so the game actually slows down a bit, indicating you can use it. I haven't actually played the game, but watching gameplay made me wonder if you can just cut them up without even damaging them first. I didn't realize the game actually slowed down because the players went into Blade Mode so quickly.

Yeah I was speculating in the other thread that these cues are only in Normal difficulty as a way to tutorialize the blade mode mechanic vs the different enemy types throughout the game.

and that they would disappear in higher difficulties once the player knows the situations he can use it vs all the enemies in the game since, like you said, you can go into instantly without the pause.

This is disappointing and sadly looks easy to abuse. I'm pretty sure there's a video where all the guy does is slice everyone into a million pieces after that tripping move and earns an S-rank at the end.

Right. but Bayonetta had acts like this as well where you could get Pure Platinum by just mashing on the nearest enemy as soon as the Verse started with something like rocket launcher or durga legs. in NSIC no less

I wouldn't really get too hung up over examples like this lol. S Ranking the demo is no huge feat really

Mr.Fresh

Where is the damn demo ?!!!! I have it on Xbox but blade mode just feels weird to me since the analog sticks aren't symmetrical.

branny

I'm going to be pissed if the full version of the game fails to offer some sort of value for players who wish to spend a lot of time with it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If there is one thing videogame fans are not, it is patient. Calm down people it will go live sometime.

Synless

They need to fire everyone responsible for PS store updates in the US store. 7 years, 7 fucking years of updates that don't go up at any given time and endless excuses. Every other region doesn't fuck this up, Microsoft is always on time, Nintendo of all companies is on time, SCEA? Never.

bryanee

I downloaded it on the xbla uk store. Pretty good, it took me awhile to get used to the parrying but I got it in the end.

Systems Video Explanation from the Konami youtube channel, it shows a bunch of Raiden's moves along with dodging and how to deal with missiles/grenades.

Could we post this on the top of every page or something?

The divekick canceled into stealth kill near the end is amazing

Right, never would have thought of that. Man...I'm supposed to be beating ACIII right now but every time I come into this thread there's a bunch of new stuff that makes me go back and play the demo.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be pissed if the full version of the game fails to offer some sort of value for players who wish to spend a lot of time with it.

lol.....

people just love their doomsday predictions

Do we know how blade mode is going to work with the alternate weapons yet?

I think I read that it isn't possible with certain weapons for obvious reason

but I don't think it's been talked about (at least in english) at all really. So who knows

I just hope they all have some unique functionality to make use of the button in its place

Top Bottom